RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

GOP health care plan
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/07/17 12:55 pm    ::: GOP health care plan Reply Reply with quote

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-obamacare-repeal-20170306-story.html

The proposal defunds Planned Parenthood. No federal funding can be made, either directly or indirectly, by Medicaid to a healthcare organization that “provides for abortions,” other than those done in cases of rape or incest or to save the life of the mother. That’s Planned Parenthood. It’s proper to note that Planned Parenthood doesn’t use federal funds to pay for abortions, as that’s already against the law. This measure shuts down funding for the organization just because it uses other funds to cover those procedures.

Income-based premium subsidies would be replaced by age-based subsidies, which will hurt working-class families in many states. Under the ACA, subsidies to help individual buyers afford premiums and (for poorer households) deductibles and co-pays were based on household income. The GOP measure will base them on the buyer’s age, instead, with older buyers receiving more help than younger. The GOP plan limits subsidies to $4,000 per individual; under the ACA, which also keys subsidies to the cost of benchmark insurance plans in the buyer’s home market, the subsidies theoretically could be several times higher. No family could receive more than $14,000 in subsidies, and no more than five family members could be eligible for subsidies.

PostPosted: 03/07/17 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's not what Trump campaigned on

PostPosted: 03/07/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
That's not what Trump campaigned on

Laughing

PostPosted: 03/07/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So according to the experts this plan will increase the cost of insurance and will leave more people uninsured.

How is this "something better" than Obamacare?

PostPosted: 03/07/17 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Physicians Health Plan’s CEO is reacting to the GOP’s proposed replacement of the Affordable Care Act.

“My guess is you’re going to see more choices and you’ll see some catastrophic plans that weren’t allowed before, which may be cheaper plans that someone younger may buy, but on the whole I think it’s going to be more expensive and I think it’s going to be tougher for those that need it to afford it,” Mike Cahill said.

http://wane.com/2017/03/07/php-ceo-weighs-in-on-gop-plan-to-replace-obamacare/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/08/17 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If only there had been some clue ...

scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/08/17 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my favorite part is the 6-pages it takes to define what happens if someone on Medicaid wins the lottery!!! Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 03/14/17 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

24 million more uninsured according to the CBO, and 26 million according to Trump's own internal numbers.

The GOP "plan" is not a healthcare plan, it is a deficit reduction plan at the expense of the poor and elderly. It is also a hot, steaming pile of dog shit.

And why is it that the GOP can't come up with a true "free market" healthcare plan that offers comprehensive care, no artificial caps, keeps prices down and has universal coverage? Because that is exactly what Obamacare was supposed to be. No free market plan is going to do it better.

This sums it up beautifully: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/14/opinion/the-original-lie-about-obamacare.html

Quote:
The reason is simple enough: Obamacare is the bipartisan version of health reform. It accomplishes a liberal end through conservative means and is much closer to the plan conservatives favored a few decades ago than the one liberals did. “It was the ultimate troll,” as Michael Anne Kyle of Harvard Business School put it, “for Obama to pass Republican health reform.”

PostPosted: 03/14/17 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
24 million more uninsured according to the CBO, and 26 million according to Trump's own internal numbers.

The GOP "plan" is not a healthcare plan, it is a deficit reduction plan at the expense of the poor and elderly. It is also a hot, steaming pile of dog shit.

And why is it that the GOP can't come up with a true "free market" healthcare plan that offers comprehensive care, no artificial caps, keeps prices down and has universal coverage? Because that is exactly what Obamacare was supposed to be. No free market plan is going to do it better.

This sums it up beautifully: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/14/opinion/the-original-lie-about-obamacare.html

Quote:
The reason is simple enough: Obamacare is the bipartisan version of health reform. It accomplishes a liberal end through conservative means and is much closer to the plan conservatives favored a few decades ago than the one liberals did. “It was the ultimate troll,” as Michael Anne Kyle of Harvard Business School put it, “for Obama to pass Republican health reform.”

24 million is significantly more than gained coverage via Obamacare. That means the Republicans explicitly want to make health care worse than it prior to 2009.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/14/17 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody here have better insight on WHY the biggest GOP proponents of the new legislation (e.g., Ryan) feel the need to rush this through? That makes it rather dubious, imo, i.e., "NOTHINGTOSEEHEREJUSTVOTE.QUICK!" Shocked

PostPosted: 03/14/17 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Anybody here have better insight on WHY the biggest GOP proponents of the new legislation (e.g., Ryan) feel the need to rush this through? That makes it rather dubious, imo, i.e., "NOTHINGTOSEEHEREJUSTVOTE.QUICK!" Shocked

They always want to rush when people are paying attention. Democrats did the same thing.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

They always want to rush when people are paying attention. Democrats did the same thing.

Well, I see your point, but....wouldn't some combination of intelligence and common sense demand that your point serve as a cautionary tale?? IFF the GOP touts the ACA to be such a reprehensible, damnable cause for public alarm and hysteria....then WHY would they repeat its 'errors' of hasty/incomplete formulation and legislation?

I have no doubt you've viewed both positions with more scrutiny than I have: what's your take on the comparative benefits/disadvantages?

I for one am GLAD for the coverage I've been afforded under ACA. When I first applied, not so much. Now, its been invaluable to me.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Democrats said otherwise in 12/14:

Contrary to Republican claims, the process that led to the passage of the Affordable Care Act was one of the most transparent in our nation's history. Below is a selection of points to refute many claims House Republicans are expected to make at today's hearing.

FACT: The ACA had a historic number of hours of debate and amendments during Committee development of the legislations.

The House process spanned three committees - Energy and Commerce, Ways and means, and Education and Labor - with dozens of hearings over many months.
Specifically, the House held 79 bipartisan hearings and markups on the health reform bill over the period of an entire year.
House members spent nearly 100 hours in hearings, heard from 181 witnesses from both sides of the aisle, considered 239 amendments (both Democratic and Republican), and accepted 121 amendments.
FACT: The Senate held dozens of public meetings and hearings in both the Finance and HELP Committees and accepted hundreds of Republican amendments.

The HELP Committee held 14 bipartisan roundtables, 13 bipartisan hearings, and 20 bipartisan walkthroughs on health reform.
The HELP Committee considered nearly 300 amendments and accepted more than 160 Republican amendments.
The Finance Committee held 17 roundtables, summits, and hearings on health reform. The Finance Committee also held 13 member meetings and walkthroughs and 38 meetings and negotiations for a total of 53 meetings on health reform. [Senate Finance Committee, 5/3/10]
The Finance Committee held a seven-day markup of the bill, the longest Finance Committee markup in 22 years, resulting in a bipartisan 14-to-9 vote to approve the bill. [Senate Finance Committee, 5/3/10]
The Finance Committee markup resulted in 41 amendments to revise the bill, including 18 by unanimous consent or without objection. [Senate Finance Committee, 10/13/09]
FACT: The financing of the ACA's coverage provisions was well known and debated.

When the bill came to the floor, the Senate spent 25 consecutive days in session on health reform, the second longest consecutive session in history. In total, the Senate spent more than 160 hours considering the health reform legislation.

The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office issued many reports on the Affordable Care Act's financing, clearly showing that revenue would be raised by the personal responsibility provision, also known at the individual mandate or free-rider penalty, in every case that it described the law's coverage provisions. [CBO, 12/10; The Washington Post, 9/24/14; ASPE, 9/24/14]
CBO also wrote extensively about how a properly-functioning insurance market would work as designed under the ACA. The entire purpose of insurance is to balance out the risk of healthy and non-healthy enrollees; anyone who believes that this point was avoided during debate of the ACA was simply not paying attention to advocates of the law as they described it during the many public hearings the law received.

https://www.dpcc.senate.gov/?p=issue&id=328

The GOP is trying to ram it through because it's passage would mean a major tax cut for the super wealthy, increased profits for ins. co.s via shit coverage for many Americans, including many poor whites who voted for Trump because they hate the ACA because a black man advocated it and are ignorant to the fact that Rubio killed the risk corridors 2 yrs ago which resulted in policy premium increases.

Move on, nothing to see....

PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

Well, I see your point, but....wouldn't some combination of intelligence and common sense demand that your point serve as a cautionary tale?? IFF the GOP touts the ACA to be such a reprehensible, damnable cause for public alarm and hysteria....then WHY would they repeat its 'errors' of hasty/incomplete formulation and legislation?

I have no doubt you've viewed both positions with more scrutiny than I have: what's your take on the comparative benefits/disadvantages?

I for one am GLAD for the coverage I've been afforded under ACA. When I first applied, not so much. Now, its been invaluable to me.

I'm generally against rushing legislation, especially when there's no particular time pressure involved.

The ACA has been good for some people and bad for others, like most government programs. I had insurance before the ACA and now I don't, because I can't afford it. Unfortunately, I make too much money to qualify for subsidies but not enough to actually purchase insurance at the higher rates now being charged. Premium rates and deductibles have skyrocketed, which is why the ACA has so many people opposed to it.

The GOP plan is a bad joke, and a move directly away from what Trump campaigned on.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

I'm generally against rushing legislation, especially when there's no particular time pressure involved.

The ACA has been good for some people and bad for others, like most government programs. I had insurance before the ACA and now I don't, because I can't afford it. Unfortunately, I make too much money to qualify for subsidies but not enough to actually purchase insurance at the higher rates now being charged. Premium rates and deductibles have skyrocketed, which is why the ACA has so many people opposed to it.

The GOP plan is a bad joke, and a move directly away from what Trump campaigned on.

The biggest problem is that they were never willing to tweak the program. The structure of the ACA is just fine, but not enough healthy people signed up and chose to pay the fine instead. Had they auto enrolled, it would have kept the prices down dramatically. The second problem came when the GOP defunded the risk corridors. Originally, the government was going to subsidize insurance companies that took on high risk individuals. since this didn't happen, this lead to higher premiums.

These are all fixes that would have been simple to make if both parties of congress were committed to making the ACA work. But unfortunately, there are those who don't see comprehensive health coverage as a basic human right, and instead see it as something to have if you can afford it.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

Thank Rubio and the GOP for that. By killing the risk corridors they GUARANTEED PREMIUM HIKES.

I wonder how many of the Obamacare-hating Trump voters know this.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

Thank Rubio and the GOP for that. By killing the risk corridors they GUARANTEED PREMIUM HIKES.

That didn't happen until 2015. Premiums and deductibles were way up before that.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opponents always run ads about "my premiums went up X%". But they were going up rapidly, often by double digits annually, without Obamacare. And companies were already cancelling plans and coverages for certain pools or in certain states.

Nobody ever seems to discuss whether the increases or cancellations are more or less than they would have been without the law. Have they accelerated or decelerated?

Talking about increases or cancellations in isolation is completely meaningless.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/15/17 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

.....AND.... please explain why this "reform" necessarily entails a tax CUT for the wealthiest? Is there some inherent connection that's unavoidable, or just another (unspoken) Trump promise he's fulfilling?

PostPosted: 03/15/17 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
.....AND.... please explain why this "reform" necessarily entails a tax CUT for the wealthiest? Is there some inherent connection that's unavoidable, or just another (unspoken) Trump promise he's fulfilling?

I think the way that's being characterized is a little misleading.

If I'm not mistaken, I think what they are referring to is the elimination of the mandatory universal coverage penalty, which is treated as a tax for various legal reasons.

Because the penalty for people who don't buy insurance is 2.5% of total household adjusted gross income to a maximum of $2,085, families of four making about $80,000 in AGI or more get the full $2000 so called "tax cut" by the elimination of the penalty, while people making less were paying a smaller penalty and thus get a smaller reduction when the penalty is eliminated.

Obama said it wasn't a tax when he was trying to get it passed so he could say there were no new taxes, until they got into court over the Constitutionality of the ACA where it was preferable legally to say it was a tax. But it's not a "tax cut" in the sense anyone would normally consider a tax cut.

Most people aren't paying the penalty anyhow so it's irrelevant to everyone except those who are paying the penalty rather than buy insurance. But yes, technically, of that small universe, the people paying the max because of their income and family size get a bigger "cut" than those making less and paying less than the max penalty.

Of all the crap in the Ryan plan, this to me is a total non issue. The big issue is that if you eliminate the coercion for everyone to have insurance, the whole system collapses from an actuarial standpoint. Any rational healthcare system has to have near or complete universal coverage or adverse selection will make the costs of insurance prohibitive. The Ryan plan "buy in" penalty is a disaster in concept. That's the real issue, not that some people get a bigger "cut" than others.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/16/17 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
[

If I'm not mistaken, I think what they are referring to is the elimination of the mandatory universal coverage penalty, which is treated as a tax for various legal reasons.

The tax cut is the removal of the 3.8% surtax on investment income and the .9% medicare tax, both which were on income over 250k/year.

PostPosted: 03/16/17 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
[

The tax cut is the removal of the 3.8% surtax on investment income and the .9% medicare tax, both which were on income over 250k/year.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: 03/16/17 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="pilight"]
cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

That didn't happen until 2015. Premiums and deductibles were way up before that.[/quote

As Artbest says, rate of increase is the issue, and why, ultimately, single-payer is the only answer.

PostPosted: 03/16/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

As Artbest says, rate of increase is the issue, and why, ultimately, single-payer is the only answer.

I certainly don't agree single payer is the only economic approach, and it will never be accepted by the public in this country. It is counterproductive to true healthcare reform for the Dems to continue to push it. It is too easy for opponents to paint every Dem plan as just a means of getting to single payer.

What is critical is mandatory universalcoverage. The economics won't work unless the pool includes the entire population, including people who are currently healthy.

We should have a national plan modeled after the FEHBA. Government sets minimum coverage, companies compete with a variety of plans. Basic plans, richer plans, hmos, etc. As long as there is universal coverage, and possibly an adverse selection pool like in FEHBA, it works.

It really isn't that hard. Obama and Pelosi blew the one opportunity. Obama instead of leading turned it over to Congressional Dems, and Congressional Dems had a wish list of crap they cared about more than fixing the health insurance system. Obamacare is a mess, and it's not going to get fixed anytime soon.

So we're doomed to stumble from one politicized patch to the next while costs continue to cripple the economy and a lot of people.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/16/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I certainly don't agree single payer is the only economic approach, and it will never be accepted by the public in this country. It is counterproductive to true healthcare reform for the Dems to continue to push it. It is too easy for opponents to paint every Dem plan as just a means of getting to single payer.

I am not so sure about that. While I agree based on the current status quo that it is unlikely to happen, my prediction is that if the GOP continues to do what they are doing and either cuts Obamacare without replacement, refuses to fix it so that it implodes, or replaces it with the type of crap that they are offering (ie: not universal, comprehensive coverage), within a decade we will be on a single payer system. Why? Because the ACA is the basic framework which offers a market based system to achieve universal coverage. There are tweaks that can make it better and actually universal if both sides are willing to commit to it, but outside of that frame work I don't know of an actual market solution (mostly because health care is nore of a public service than it is a market commodity, and thus "free markets" will never achieve that goal alone without major government involvement).

So, when the uninsured numbers skyrocket, and the more liberal millennials and generation z become the major voting forces, the demand for a fix will be deafening. And the simplest solution (not necessarily the best, but the simplest to explain and understand) to achieve universal coverage is single payer.

The vast majority right now sees affordable, quality health care as a right. In 10 years this will be even more pronounced. If the GOP sticks to outdated ideology, they will lose all of their ground and will end up with something even more "socialist" than the absolutely non-socialist ACA. While they scored short term political points by abandoning the ACA and demonizing it, that position is going to have terrible long term political costs for them.

Quote:

What is critical is mandatory universalcoverage. The economics won't work unless the pool includes the entire population, including people who are currently healthy.

We should have a national plan modeled after the FEHBA. Government sets minimum coverage, companies compete with a variety of plans. Basic plans, richer plans, hmos, etc. As long as there is universal coverage, and possibly an adverse selection pool like in FEHBA, it works.

Honestly, they should take a long hard look at Germany's system, which is basically a working version of the principles behind the ACA.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: