RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Where Do You Rank Candace Parker Among The All-Time Greats?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Candace Ranks Within The...
Top 5
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
Top 10
27%
 27%  [ 25 ]
Top 20
47%
 47%  [ 44 ]
Top 40
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 92

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 04/25/15 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
pilight wrote:
Yeah, I can't imagine how anyone could expect a team heavily tilted towards the front court with a PG no better than Lindsey Harding to get to the WNBA finals. How big a superstar would it take to make that happen?

Lindsey had one decent year with the Sparks. She disappeared for the most part last year with respect to good play. Besides, the Sparks had other issues, like Kristi having a mostly off year, Jantel disappearing at key points despite greatly improved play, Sandrine Gruda not integrating well with the team, Candice Wiggins getting injured early and never really establishing her play.

What pilight was doing was pimping up Angel McCoughtry again. Smile

jap

PostPosted: 04/25/15 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
jap wrote:
pilight wrote:
Yeah, I can't imagine how anyone could expect a team heavily tilted towards the front court with a PG no better than Lindsey Harding to get to the WNBA finals. How big a superstar would it take to make that happen?

Lindsey had one decent year with the Sparks. She disappeared for the most part last year with respect to good play. Besides, the Sparks had other issues, like Kristi having a mostly off year, Jantel disappearing at key points despite greatly improved play, Sandrine Gruda not integrating well with the team, Candice Wiggins getting injured early and never really establishing her play.

What pilight was doing was pimping up Angel McCoughtry again. Smile

I don't mind that. The Dark Angel is very good and very funny in her own way---by far one of my favorite WNBA characters. Wink

I don't believe a starting LA PG necessarily must be a superstar, but she should be a decent passer (as in making decent entry passes) and capable of making good team decisions. Lindsey's decision-making fell apart last season, and she started hunting for her own shot more & more above & beyond team interests. I would prefer a PG with some height, good defensive skills, and with a decent scud missile guidance system too.

Last edited by jap on 04/26/15 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 04/25/15 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

Sounds like what the Sparks need is a star who makes her teammates better. Wink

PostPosted: 04/26/15 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jap wrote:
pilight wrote:

Sounds like what the Sparks need is a star who makes her teammates better. Wink

I think Ace will be alright with a more balanced team, a steady PG as I described in earlier posts and some viable firepower downtown to open up the paint. That way she doesn't have to exert herself trying to make up for team imbalances and can instead exert herself more doing her own thing. Her talent still seems to daunt even some of her better teammates. For instance, Nneka has discussed how unusual it was trying to get used to a post who thought like a PG. Yet Nneka plays better with Candace than anyone else with the possible exception of Kristi.

I wonder if Brian will be more successful than Pat and Boss Ross at getting CP3 to buy into the defensive game. She has resisted Pat and all Sparks' coaches concerning defensive play save for blocks and steals. She resisted Lisa's early attempts to work out and train with her, just as Lisa had invited former roommate Sunshine. I recall Lisa, in an undisguised shot at her younger mentee Candace, lamenting how the new school players were not as committed to working at their craft as the old schoolers.

PostPosted: 04/26/15 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The blame for the sparks lack of playoff success falls mostly on the shoulders of the gm.LA drafted Parker,and what does Toler do ? she signs another power forward(Thompson) when they already had Parker & Milton jones.LA wins 24 games in 2013,and what does toler do ? She lets coleman walk and trades away O'hea to make room for a non jumpshooter(Herrington).Coleman and O'hea both shot above 40% from 3pt range.Herrington did not attempt a 3 pt shot the entire 2014 wnba season.

Parkers been playing out of position most of her career.I feel the way to remedy this situation is to start Lavender & Parker,and play Nneka 30 minutes off the bench.Or,they can start Parker & Nneka and bring Lavender off the bench.I'd rather parker play center than small forward.It puts Candace in the vicinity of the paint area which means more rebounding,shot blocking and low post offense.It makes the switching for Nneka & Parker more fluid/seamless.It'creates better spacing on the court and open up driving lanes for the guards.It would also allow LA to play a more uptempo style of basketball.

Or,they can trade Nneka for Mcbride & Appel.

Parker deserves some criticism for her sometimes lackadaisical play and mediocre defense,but not nearly as much blame as Toler for not putting together a balanced roster.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/26/15 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
There was no Western Conference Finals Game 3 in 2013, but if you're talking about the Sparks' Game 2 loss in 2012, yes, she was pretty good that day...

Thanks, PD. I was too lazy to confirm the exact game and just went along with WNBA_09. I guess we both have fuzzy memories. Wink

Yea same here with the fuzzy memory , sorry i dont have that kind of time. But back to topic why blame CP3 for GM mistakes? If CP does takeover its because she doesnt trust theres enough talent to make up. Im a fan period and i appreciate what this young lady has done for this game . Championship or not People Will Always Remember "Candace Parker" in the same breath of Lisa Lesie Diana Sue Dawn Cheryl Cynthia ect...

PostPosted: 04/28/15 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes it just feels like she needs Pat's stare to light a fire under her ass again.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/28/15 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She didn't defend at Tennessee either ...

PostPosted: 04/28/15 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting article dating back to 2013 discussing some of Parker's strengths and weaknesses defensively. Includes 2013 statistical struggles defensively as per Synergy sports, as well as 2012 in which Synergy sports rated her "excellent" defensively. At least I thought those were the years unless I misread it. Based on P_D_'s #'s for Parker in 2012, I may have.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2013/8/23/4649252/wnba-2013-mvp-award-candidates-candace-parker-plus-minus

PostPosted: 05/01/15 4:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the history of women's basketball I'd say she is just outside of the top 20, maybe around 25 or so. I think she has the potential to finish in the top 10, but she still has a lot of work to do to move up.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/02/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that Ace has her ring, has anyone changed their mind about where she ranks?

PostPosted: 03/02/17 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Parkers been playing out of position most of her career.I feel the way to remedy this situation is to start Lavender & Parker,and play Nneka 30 minutes off the bench.Or,they can start Parker & Nneka and bring Lavender off the bench.I'd rather parker play center than small forward.It puts Candace in the vicinity of the paint area which means more rebounding,shot blocking and low post offense.It makes the switching for Nneka & Parker more fluid/seamless.It'creates better spacing on the court and open up driving lanes for the guards.It would also allow LA to play a more uptempo style of basketball.

Very Happy

zune69 wrote:

Embarassed

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 03/04/17 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's still in my top 10.
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 03/04/17 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Very Happy

zune69 wrote:

Embarassed

Speaking of bench...i have noticed that Candace doesn't seem to have her legs on 1 days rest... Why not come off the bench on back to backs or 1 days rest (which could be a travel day)?? Not quite the Greg Popovich plan, but it will reserve her legs a bit, I think. Idea

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/04/17 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nowhere. Just a drama mama who can't play defense and whines. Nneka is the new face of the Sparks

UK1996

PostPosted: 03/04/17 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure out what Parker did to make people hate her so much, that they deny how great she has been. Don't use the sitting out BS, because Parker has gotten way more flack than Tarausi and McCoughtry for sitting out. Considering she has a daughter that from what I understand didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with her Father I don't blame her. I'm disappointed when players sit out, but don't blame them. They have to focus on their health and their future before anything else. I'd certainly sit out the season that pays me $100,000 before I'd sit out one that pays me $800,000+ I understand the loyalty to the league, but players have their own futures to worry about.

PostPosted: 03/04/17 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out what Parker did to make people hate her so much, that they deny how great she has been. Don't use the sitting out BS, because Parker has gotten way more flack than Tarausi and McCoughtry for sitting out. Considering she has a daughter that from what I understand didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with her Father I don't blame her. I'm disappointed when players sit out, but don't blame them. They have to focus on their health and their future before anything else. I'd certainly sit out the season that pays me $100,000 before I'd sit out one that pays me $800,000+ I understand the loyalty to the league, but players have their own futures to worry about.

Some people just love to hate.

PostPosted: 03/05/17 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
pilight wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
If anyone has Parker outside the top 10 I'd like to see 9 players that are better then her. The only thing she's missing is a WNBA title and I'm sure she'll get one, probably not with the Sparks tho.

I got to nine with barely any effort at all. Alphabetically:

Tamika Catchings
Cynthia Cooper
Yolanda Griffith
Lauren Jackson
Lisa Leslie
Katie Smith
Sheryl Swoopes
Diana Taurasi
Tina Thompson

Parker might get the 10th spot, but it could just as easily go to Sue Bird or Maya Moore or Becky Hammon or even Swin Cash, depending on what you consider important.

I'd take Parker over both Griffith, Catchings, and Smith I think she stacks up well vs all 3, only thing she's missing is a WNBA title.

Don't forget about Cheryl Miller, Jennifer Gillom, Teresa Edwards, Katrina McClain, Jen Azzi, the list above is all very recent...

zune69

PostPosted: 03/05/17 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Speaking of bench...i have noticed that Candace doesn't seem to have her legs on 1 days rest... Why not come off the bench on back to backs or 1 days rest (which could be a travel day)?? Not quite the Greg Popovich plan, but it will reserve her legs a bit, I think. Idea

The sparks have only 1 back to back game in 2017,and 5 games on 1 day of rest.But I agree with the idea of getting Candace more rest.One of my concerns is that unlike last offseason Candace is playing overseas.Fatigue could play a factor in who wins the championship.Maya stayed home during the offseason.She will be well rested and ready to go.Agler should limit Parker's minutes.or just sit her a couple of games during the season.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/05/17 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker is a playoff ringer this season, having just recently signed in Turkey. I don't think she'll get too fatigued. It'll actually probably keep her from getting too rusty.

Brunson signed not too long ago, and I thought she was going to take the whole off season off. Seems to be the new trend to put in these partial seasons. Once you get a taste of the money it's hard to completely give it up.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OGSiZ4NLS54" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zvyn3

PostPosted: 03/05/17 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Nowhere. Just a drama mama who can't play defense and whines. Nneka is the new face of the Sparks

Lol, some of you people are still so bitter.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/05/17 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Lol, some of you people are still so bitter.

Omg i haven't changed my avi in almost 5 years and this picture is making me think twice 😂😂 #iCONIC

PostPosted: 03/05/17 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

Just for that you realize that we are gonna have to take another championship. And we'll keep on taking championships until we get shown some proper respect. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/05/17 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

The sparks have only 1 back to back game in 2017,and 5 games on 1 day of rest.But I agree with the idea of getting Candace more rest.One of my concerns is that unlike last offseason Candace is playing overseas.Fatigue could play a factor in who wins the championship.Maya stayed home during the offseason.She will be well rested and ready to go.Agler should limit Parker's minutes.or just sit her a couple of games during the season.

She played overseas last year in China for the playoffs. I prefer that she plays because otherwise I'd worry about her being rusty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: