RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Wiggins: WNBA's 'harmful' culture of bullying, jealousy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zune69

PostPosted: 03/02/17 7:57 am    ::: Re: Wiggins isn't that pretty Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
Candice Wiggins isn't that pretty. She has many of the individual pieces our culture approves of: Long hair, light skin, thin, wears make-up, traditionally feminine clothing. But when you put it all together it doesn't work that well. Her features just aren't those of a great beauty. Diggins pulls that off...the whole traditionally pretty-girl thing. Wiggins doesn't.

I don't think a ton about who is pretty, but Brunson's pretty smiling face would have knocked me out at any point in my life. The WNBA has many attractive players, though.

Jealous of Candice for being pretty? I can't see it. There are prettier women than Candice all over the place.

SMH at you calling Candice Wiggins Light Skin.That's something a ignorant non-black person or insecure black person would say.And then complement Brunson on her smile without pointing out that she has a similar skin tone to Candice.

If Wiggins is Light skin,what is Brunson ?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/02/17 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I recently read a powerful new book by Lori L. Tharps, SAME FAMILY, DIFFERENT COLORS: Confronting Colorism in America's Diverse Families. It's about the politics of skin color in African American, Latino, Asian, and interracial families. I recommend it to anyone interested in this issue.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I recently read a powerful new book by Lori L. Tharps, SAME FAMILY, DIFFERENT COLORS: Confronting Colorism in America's Diverse Families. It's about the politics of skin color in African American, Latino, Asian, and interracial families. I recommend it to anyone interested in this issue.

I read that book as well. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm much encouraged by the responses I'm hearing from current players around the league, as I saw at least one other poster here express. Particularly among young players I've been impressed with the overall eloquence and thought put into their statements.

I've also been impressed overall with the tenor of the conversation here. Some posts have been iffy, but the bulk of the conversation has been thoughtful and even compassionate for the mental health of CW (even as she's rightfully called to task for her blanket statements).

I kind of feel like since the initial inception of the WNBA there have been waves of fans, either coming in with particular college classes or groups of players, or with the success of particular teams. I had been in a sort of ebb, not only as the Storm transitioned, but also because it just coincided with some life transitions, so I haven't been as dialed in to the pulse of the WNBA, its teams, fans and players, but this whole dust up has had the effect of buoying my optimism for the future.

PostPosted: 03/03/17 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, okay calm down.

My post regarding Wiggin's beauty or lack thereof was catty. Candice pissed-off this lesbian.

HOWEVER, I was not talking about Black standards of beauty. I can see why you might think that, but if you look at ALL the things I mention rather than just skin tone and hair you can see that I was describing an overall picture of what culture sees as feminine that isn't race-specific. I can totally see why some of you read it as race-specific, but really it was more me-specific. I grew up in the 60s when long-straight hair was THE feminine ideal. And I am an English major and, as such, I am aware of the historical idea of women having to keep their skin pale and avoid the sun. And, yes, I am aware that there is some of that in the Black community as well. I mean, Toni Morrison's "The Bluest Eye" is my favorite book, so sure I know that those same weird beauty standards mess with Black people. But I was addressing an overall, non-race-specific beauty standard that has been around way longer than I have been around and that affects everyone.

So call me out for being snippy and call me out for going off on a bit of a tangent about Brunson and call me out for posting on Nyquil (flu got me) but please don't think I was talking about the Black experience. I just wasn't.

BTW, looking back at the post I made, I found it a bit hilarious that I was basically trying to say "Stupid boys ideas of what is pretty" then lapsed into "CANDICE U AREN'T ALL THAT" and finished up with "Ooooo I have a crush on Brunson." Yeah that sounds like me on medication, pretty much.

PostPosted: 03/04/17 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i just hope the players dont get stuck answering wiggins questions all summer.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/05/17 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I have been following this story from the beginning. I do have one question to ask. Where is Skylar? I thought her and Candice were best buddies. I have not heard one statement from her yet.

FWIW, Wiggins made a taped appearance on Skylar's "Little Ballers" show

PostPosted: 03/05/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Depends when the book drops.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/05/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Depends when the book drops.

Any publicist worth his salt would drop it during the season. They want WNBA players answering questions about it all summer, it's free publicity.

PostPosted: 03/05/17 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
One can disagree with her comments i.e. numbers etc. but calling her names and acting like people don't bully is just as bad as the things some are saying about her.

You will find if you have not already that gossipers, slanderers, or character assassinators (all three terms are equivalent in this context) are the ugliest, rudest, most vulgar people in this life.

I've seen a lot of those on this board.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 03/07/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington Mystics weighs in on comments by Wiggins;

Mystics rebuke Candice Wiggins comments on bullying and sexuality in WNBA

Scarab

PostPosted: 03/09/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
Washington Mystics weighs in on comments by Wiggins;

Mystics rebuke Candice Wiggins comments on bullying and sexuality in WNBA

Scroll up...this was posted earlier in the thread on Feb. 28 fyi. Smile

PostPosted: 04/07/17 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I have been following this story from the beginning. I do have one question to ask. Where is Skylar? I thought her and Candice were best buddies. I have not heard one statement from her yet.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/ncaa-basketball/news/skylar-diggins-uconn-womens-basketball-maya-moore-tina-charles-geno-auriemma-notre-dame/t1zz9y1w5ucp1t93uj78txu19

Quote:
SD: What did you make of Candice Wiggins’ comments saying that she was bullied in the WNBA for being heterosexual? Did you have any similar experiences?

SN: You’re trying to stir the pot!

Not sure why SD and SN are reversed in the article

PostPosted: 04/07/17 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Completely unsubstantiated rumor from SoCal, so I'm looking for anyone who knows for sure: Candice had a girlfriend last year.

I'm hoping someone can say it's categorically untrue, for though I really dislike what she did, this kind of story going round just makes it all seem worse.

PostPosted: 04/08/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Completely unsubstantiated rumor from SoCal, so I'm looking for anyone who knows for sure: Candice had a girlfriend last year.

I'm hoping someone can say it's categorically untrue, for though I really dislike what she did, this kind of story going round just makes it all seem worse.

Part of me wants it to be true so we can all point and laugh at her hypocrisy.

Part of me thinks she'd turn around and talk about being "forced" into the homosexual lifestyle, with all the predatory implications thereof, and then we get a whole new level of WTFery.

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 08/09/17 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candice Wiggins joins Ant Goods and gives an exclusive interview on the life behind the scenes of the WNBA, WNBA myths, & her infamous article that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/temamSaIAco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=temamSaIAco

PostPosted: 08/09/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I'm hoping someone can say it's categorically untrue, for though I really dislike what she did, this kind of story going round just
makes it all seem worse.

Part of me wants it to be true so we can all point and laugh at her hypocrisy.

Part of me thinks she'd turn around and talk about being "forced" into the homosexual lifestyle, with all the predatory implications thereof, and then we get a whole new level of WTFery.

Or we can look at this story as evidence of self hatred. Her praising of herself as a means to fake self esteem..

PostPosted: 08/09/17 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kind of an interesting interview for the first half when Candice talks about other things like overseas pay and why people play in the WNBA for less money. However, when she moves on to the controversy surrounding her interview with the SD Union, then she just comes across as clueless and self-absorbed. People shouldn't be upset because this is only about her personal journey and it was intended for local people -- especially kids -- who know her history and aspire to be her. Candice didn't realize how much influence she had because all those people around the league must be getting upset because they look up to her. Rolling Eyes Um, maybe they're upset because you said nasty things about the league that confirms negative stereotypes already perpetuated by haters? And maybe they're upset because some of the things you said are gross exaggerations? She also makes a sad attempt to tie this mess to her father's death from AIDS and babbles about protecting her family's legacy.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Kind of an interesting interview for the first half when Candice talks about other things like overseas pay and why people play in the WNBA for less money. However, when she moves on to the controversy surrounding her interview with the SD Union, then she just comes across as clueless and self-absorbed. People shouldn't be upset because this is only about her personal journey and it was intended for local people -- especially kids -- who know her history and aspire to be her. Candice didn't realize how much influence she had because all those people around the league must be getting upset because they look up to her. Rolling Eyes Um, maybe they're upset because you said nasty things about the league that confirms negative stereotypes already perpetuated by haters? And maybe they're upset because some of the things you said are gross exaggerations? She also makes a sad attempt to tie this mess to her father's death from AIDS and babbles about protecting her family's legacy.

Yeh, there are the millions of kids who admire Wiggins. And the vast majority of WNBA players look up to her. Surely at least 98%. Really the world is just one big Candice Wiggins fan club. Ugh.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candice who?
She has been irrelevant for the past 6-7 years!

willtalk

PostPosted: 08/09/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know if it has relevance but there was recently a guard in the NFL who made a big issue about bullying in the locker room by other players. He got another player released from the Miami Dolphins because of his accusations. He then went to the SF 49ers where he showed himself to be a real ( baby) and finally got cut from the team. Retrospectively he appeared to have made these accusations to cover for his own failure to live up to his perceived potential. Interestingly enough he also went to Stanford.

As to the appearance of athletes. Hey they are not on the court to be runway models. I personally could never understand why people can not put things into there proper perspective. It is true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and also society tends to promote and definitely influence what is perceived of as beauty. It shouldn't matter in respect to someones ability to do their job. Sometimes an attractive appearance does impact the ability to do a particular job because, right or wrong, we have been brainwashed into perspectives of attractiveness. It's part of our present reality that can not be ignored. Still we have the moral and ethical responsibility to separate what rational from the irrational to the best of our abilities. There are too many area's which we allow the attractiveness of the individual to influence our perspective of that persons abilities to do the job. Bigotry and bias impacts far more areas than most people are aware of. Often our focus on one specific area keeps us from recognizing it in other areas where it might be just as prevalent.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/10/17 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dont forget to cop that Best seller! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/10/17 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We need to just ignore this woman. Her feelings are hurt because her career goals were left unfulfilled. She was a part of the 2008 draft that featured both Fowles and Parker at the top of the draft. Those women became superstars in the league while she was forced to retire at 30 because no one wanted her. She wants to blame other people besides herself for not becoming a superstar player.

PostPosted: 02/27/18 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UPDATE:

https://thegrio.com/2018/02/26/wnba-candice-wiggins-toxic-bullying/

Quote:
For her part, Wiggins said, she is going to write an autobiography about her experiences.

"I try to be really sensitive. I’m not trying to crush anyone’s dreams or aspirations, or the dreams of the WNBA. I want things to be great, but at the same time it’s important for me to be honest in my reflections," she said.

PostPosted: 02/27/18 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
UPDATE:

https://thegrio.com/2018/02/26/wnba-candice-wiggins-toxic-bullying/

Quote:
For her part, Wiggins said, she is going to write an autobiography about her experiences.

"I try to be really sensitive. I’m not trying to crush anyone’s dreams or aspirations, or the dreams of the WNBA. I want things to be great, but at the same time it’s important for me to be honest in my reflections," she said.

This wasn't based on anything new. The author basically read the year-old interview she did and regurgitated it. Whatever her experiences were, I don't see it on the Storm. That team is no more than 50% gay and the players seem very close and supportive. Heck, they don't even haze the rookies because Sue doesn't believe in it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: