RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cooper-Dyke out @U$C
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 03/03/17 4:53 pm    ::: Cooper-Dyke out @U$C Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18815697/cynthia-cooper-dyke-resigns-usc-trojans-basketball-coach

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/03/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades-like, I want credit for calling this one ...

In fact, maybe we should award ourselves a Shades Gold Star when we get one right. (And a ClayK Miscalculation when we get one wrong ...)

PostPosted: 03/03/17 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crazy idea, would they ever call up Cheryl Miller again? How's she doing at Cal State LA? Shocked

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/03/17 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Crazy idea, would they ever call up Cheryl Miller again? How's she doing at Cal State LA? Shocked

no.

- Amanda Gorman
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/03/17 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
PRballer wrote:

no.

Not only no, but hell no. Unless that woman has cleaned up her act, she shouldn't even have the job she has.

(now with spelling variations)
Howee

PostPosted: 03/03/17 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

In fact, maybe we should award ourselves a Shades Gold Star when we get one right. (And a ClayK Miscalculation when we get one wrong ...)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I hope she finally hangs it up as a coach. She's the poster child for Sports Stars that Can't Teach It So Great. Can't blame her for trying, but....

PostPosted: 03/04/17 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK...so what's the speculation? Where will USC look?

Beth Burns,
Jody Wynn
Bonnie Hendrickson
Niele Ivey
??

They will need someone who can keep up high-level recruiting and they have some top-ranked kids coming in next year to mix with some decent pieces. This will be a really fascinating hire.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/04/17 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

Beth Burns,
Jody Wynn
Bonnie Hendrickson
Niele Ivey
??

They will need someone who can keep up high-level recruiting and they have some top-ranked kids coming in next year to mix with some decent pieces. This will be a really fascinating hire.

I really don't see Niele leaving ND for USC. I don't see USC hiring an ND person either. I don't think that would go over very well with the alums. Of either school! Smile

I don't see her going that far away and I think that where ever she goes it would only be for a couple of years and then she would be back at ND. At least I hope that is the plan!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Durantula

PostPosted: 03/04/17 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Beth Burns,
Jody Wynn
Bonnie Hendrickson
Niele Ivey
??

I really don't see Niele leaving ND for USC. I don't see USC hiring an ND person either. I don't think that would go over very well with the alums. Of either school! Smile

I don't see her going that far away and I think that where ever she goes it would only be for a couple of years and then she would be back at ND. At least I hope that is the plan!

That's the risk of leaving, what if she takes a job at a rebuilding program and has a bad record for a few years and then McGraw retires. Are they really going to hire someone with that W/L record or hire someone with a better background? But the risk of not leaving is if the AD thinks head coaching experience is a pre-requisite to the job.

On USC I don't see them hiring the famous pro player again like Miller. Beth Burns is almost 60 and I'd think they go for a more up and coming coach. Don't forget she sued her prior school for millions of dollars when they fired her and I don't see how that helps her get another head coaching job that is better than the one she was recently fired from.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/04/17 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Beth Burns,
Jody Wynn
Bonnie Hendrickson
Niele Ivey
??

That's the risk of leaving, what if she takes a job at a rebuilding program and has a bad record for a few years and then McGraw retires. Are they really going to hire someone with that W/L record or hire someone with a better background? But the risk of not leaving is if the AD thinks head coaching experience is a pre-requisite to the job.

On USC I don't see them hiring the famous pro player again like Miller. Beth Burns is almost 60 and I'd think they go for a more up and coming coach. Don't forget she sued her prior school for millions of dollars when they fired her and I don't see how that helps her get another head coaching job that is better than the one she was recently fired from.

I hope that the plan for Niele is when Muffet retires, she's the coach. If the AD is wanting head coaching experence, when Muffet is 3-4 years away, Niele goes somewhere where the previous successful coach has moved up to a bigger school, gets it, and comes back. Maybe somewhere like Princeton when CB moves on.

Now, back to the next USC coach, because I don't want it to be Niele!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Matt5762

PostPosted: 03/04/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

I hope that the plan for Niele is when Muffet retires, she's the coach. If the AD is wanting head coaching experence, when Muffet is 3-4 years away, Niele goes somewhere where the previous successful coach has moved up to a bigger school, gets it, and comes back. Maybe somewhere like Princeton when CB moves on.

Now, back to the next USC coach, because I don't want it to be Niele!

An interesting thought considering Banghart was a finalist the last time the USC job was open...

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 03/04/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SC could be a premier destination with the right coach. Why not someone like Charli Turner Thorne who does a lot with a little, rarely has the top recruits and now can actually sell a sexy destination unlike Tempe........

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/04/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
SC could be a premier destination with the right coach. Why not someone like Charli Turner Thorne who does a lot with a little, rarely has the top recruits and now can actually sell a sexy destination unlike Tempe........

I love the idea there - what else is Charli gonna accomplish in Tempe? - but I feel like she puts her family first and wouldn't want to uproot her boys.

sigur3

PostPosted: 03/04/17 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Dead. Laughing

tfan

PostPosted: 03/05/17 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I hope she finally hangs it up as a coach. She's the poster child for Sports Stars that Can't Teach It So Great. Can't blame her for trying, but....

You are thinking of her with the Mercury (which was a team with zero talent) and now with USC. But she coached winning teams at 3 other colleges. Her in conference records were [64-26 .711] at Prairie View A&M, [25-11 .694] at University North Carolina Wilmington and [16-2 .889] at Texas Southern. But she did get hit with recruiting violations at Prairie View A&M that caused her to lose scholarships as a penalty, and two of those schools were short stops so you can't verify her recruiting ability. Still, the three other schools don't support the idea that she should stop trying and that she can't teach it. Judging from USC my concern would be can she recruit elite talent, or should she stay with HBCUs.

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/05/17 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a fan of schools in the same conference poaching head coaches from each other.

I guess since I have a degree from there, I have some stake in this.

After some of the current head coach choices, I would like them to think about Shannon Perry. She's a former assistant there, she's from the area, and she has recruited both locally and nationally. Sure the current employer is a bit of an issue, but it can be worked around.
Kailapea

PostPosted: 03/06/17 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I had the same conversation about her yesterday. Coop could ball with the best of them. But coaching is not her game.

PostPosted: 03/06/17 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wondering how this will impact her incoming recruits? I think she has 3 pretty good kids coming in.

PostPosted: 03/06/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
Wondering how this will impact her incoming recruits? I think she has 3 pretty good kids coming in.

Heard the top kid coming in the 6'1 post player, doesn't have the grades.
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/06/17 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:

If the new coach (whoever he or she ends up being) is classy, he/she will release the recruits from their LOIs and try to re-recruit them.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/06/17 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Kailapea wrote:

If the new coach (whoever he or she ends up being) is classy, he/she will release the recruits from their LOIs and try to re-recruit them.

I would think if the recruit wanted out that should happen. Not just an automatic release.

I will give you my pick who I would love to see, although I have no idea if he would leave his current job.

Russ Davis of Vanguard and Cal Swish/AAU.
He has coached 11 players who were drafted or played in the WNBA
He has coached 10 McDonald's All American players.
He is well respected, especially by the Pac12 coaches and by UConn.
He knows a ton of the So Cal, Central Cal and Arizona talents.
He runs great offensive sets.
He stresses accountability by the players, on and off the court.
He has won a National Championship. He was also named coach of the Year.
His Vanguard team have played, in the past few years, UConn, Stanford, UCLA, Cal, ASU, Maine and UCSB. They actually beat UCSB a few years ago.

Again I have no idea if he is interested or wants to leave.

LitePal

PostPosted: 03/06/17 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Davis have a college degree? Then again, Michael Cooper didn't either.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/06/17 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Howee wrote:

You are thinking of her with the Mercury (which was a team with zero talent) and now with USC. But she coached winning teams at 3 other colleges. Her in conference records were [64-26 .711] at Prairie View A&M, [25-11 .694] at University North Carolina Wilmington and [16-2 .889] at Texas Southern. But she did get hit with recruiting violations at Prairie View A&M that caused her to lose scholarships as a penalty, and two of those schools were short stops so you can't verify her recruiting ability. Still, the three other schools don't support the idea that she should stop trying and that she can't teach it. Judging from USC my concern would be can she recruit elite talent, or should she stay with HBCUs.

Nah. All the ^^ above is just a lotta blah-blah about mediocrity. I mean, it's "okay" for lotsa folks, but Coop IS one of the all-time great players--her coaching doesn't match that, it's .... mediocre. Hope she finds a different niche in the game....I think she's pretty cool, just not a terrific coach. (or this thread wouldn't have been born)

I think USC should Think Big. Don't know if it'd be repeating history here, but....what about Tina? She's put in a few years as an assistant in TX. Is she ready?

PostPosted: 03/06/17 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How is TT thinking big? At least CCD had head coaching experience.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/06/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are more than 280 non-P5 Div I WBB teams. That's a pretty big pool. There have to be at least a few excellent head coaches among that group who would see Southern Cal as a terrific opportunity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: