RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Which team will outperform expectations the most in 2017?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which team will outperform expectations the most in 2017?
Dream
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Fever
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Liberty
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Lynx
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Mercury
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mystics
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
Sky
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Sparks
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Stars
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Storm
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Sun
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Wings
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 51

tfan

PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:17 pm    ::: Which team will outperform expectations the most in 2017? Reply Reply with quote

zune69

PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas.......the Wings will win 18-22 games.

Atlanta and chicago will also perform better than expected.

Last edited by zune69 on 03/02/17 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for the Dream because I am an impossible homer

PostPosted: 03/02/17 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Shocked

Explain.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/02/17 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Shocked

Explain.

18-22 is -4; that sounds about right. Smile

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/02/17 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Shocked

Explain.

Maybe he has huge faith in Taj McWilliams-Franklin's ability to sort out the defense.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Shocked

Explain.

Maybe he has huge faith in Taj McWilliams-Franklin's ability to sort out the defense.

Maybe he has faith in a healthy 100 % skylar diggins. My team will prove you guys wrong although i voted for seattle Laughing

PostPosted: 03/02/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Shocked

Explain.

*Trading Sims was addition by subtraction.Sims was a undersized sg who provided very little resistance on defense,and barely contributed to the rebounding(2.5rpg).Sims Per.was only 12.4(7th best on Dallas).Powers Per.last season was 16.6(2nd best).Assuming Powers is the starting sg and healthy,the defense,rebounding and offensive efficiency will automatically improve.

*Glory is a better rebounder & defender than Pierson.She's also a 2-time all-star.Glory had a 9 games stretch last season were she averaged 14.5p/11.5r,and won back her starting job.Glory would've had back to back 20p/20r games had she not gone down versus the Dream.Pierson signing with minnesota was addition by subtraction.

*A healthy Skylar Diggins is a top 10 player.

*Dallas/Tulsa started 8-1 in 2015 without G.Johnson,and with Sims missing 6 of 9 games during that stretch.Tulsa went 6-0 without Sims.If Diggins doesn't go down with a knee injury,the shock win 20+ games.

*Dallas will add depth with 2 draft picks or a trade.

*Games missed the last 2 seasons: G.Johnson(52),S.Diggins(32)

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry but i have to disagree on a couple points. I dont know which Glory Johnson you have been watching but she is not a good defender and even at stage in their careers Pierson is still a better defender then Glory.
Glory has a lot of potential though but it hasnt come out on defense at ALL.

Even when Diggins was healthy her defense was below average. Now after the injury its worse. Combine that with a bad defensive coach and i dont expect that too improve a lot this season

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 03/02/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Sorry but i have to disagree on a couple points. I dont know which Glory Johnson you have been watching but she is not a good defender and even at stage in their careers Pierson is still a better defender then Glory.

Even when Diggins was healthy her defense was below average. Now after the injury its worse. Combine that with a bad defensive coach and i dont expect that too improve a lot this season

You're a seattle fan.I expect you to downplay a healthy wings team.

BTW...in 2015 Diggins missed 25 games,Johnson missed 34 games,Dallas still finished above .500 with a 18-16 record.Seattle last season had 3 all wnba players,no injuries,and finished below .500.

In 2017....Dallas > Seattle.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/02/17 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could someone kindly lay out what the expectations are for each team at his point, because without that basis it's impossible to say who I think will exceed them.

PostPosted: 03/02/17 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I voted for the Dream because I am an impossible homer

X2

PostPosted: 03/02/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do think Dallas will be much better without Sims jacking up and missing a ton of shots. Now if they just get rid of the other one that does the same thing they'll be good.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/02/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Either Seattle or Chicago. Both seem like sleeper teams this season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/02/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted SAS just because I think expectations are bottom of the barrel, so ANYTHING they do beats expectations.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/03/17 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Could someone kindly lay out what the expectations are for each team at his point, because without that basis it's impossible to say who I think will exceed them.

I think the overall expectation consensus is something like

LA and Minny top two teams, multiple all-stars age in Minny and swapping out Toliver fror Williams and Sims simply won't be enoigh of a factor to knock them from the elite of the league likely to meet in the finals. 1-2

NY Great in the regular season, flames out in playoffs (maybe different if they stay healthy) One super-star a couple of other really good players, some up and coming player and savvy vets lead to a deep team looking at top 3 or 4 placement. (But NY fans want a finals and might secretly be pessimistic and think they could fall after the last few god season.)

Washington great new players in EDD and Toliver, Meesseman and Hill are moving towards being top level talent (Probably Meesseman more that Hill) Great coach, decent role player might struggle on defense, still seem like 3-6 is in the cards.

Seattle lead by two young all-stars and one of the GOAT PGs, decent role players, another year of growth and chemistry 3-6 seems quite possible.

Chicago solid group of players, but losing your head coach and MVP level lead player will create some challenges, they could take it in stride and still be pretty tough, or struggle to get on the same page and just miss the playoffs the #2 pick will help 5-9.

PX Seem to be slowly declining last season and have lost two starters, on the flip side any team built around DT and Griner should be good, Bonner question mark is still out there, D-Rob might have a surprising impact. Just in or just out of Playoffs 6-10

Dallas With Two healthy all-stars and two lottery picks Dallas should be on the rise, but they have to jump someone ahead of them to get anywhere besides bottom of the playoffs 6-10.

Indy/Atlanta losing their #1 player from the last five season combined with not having the type of stronger core that a team like CHicago has have the board not feeling too excited about these two teams prospects. Neither of these teams I would count out, the loss of Catchings or McCoughtry could be a moment for someone else to step up, but low playoffs to lottery team is where they fall, no one will be surprised if one of these teams get to #6, but it also won't be too shocking if the youth and hope below themm on the expectations chart jumps them. 7-12.

Conn/SA Conn with Ogwumike would be a lot higher, but the general thought seems to be that these two teams are full of hope, and have some really nice young pieces, but the expectation in 2017 is that they don't have enough to get out of the lottery quite yet, and if they do it will be to that #8 spot, 8-12.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 03/03/17 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
zune69

PostPosted: 03/03/17 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Potential Dallas roster:

PG:Diggins/Phillips/Bias
SG:Powers/Plum or DeShields
SF:Christmas /Hooper
PF:Johnson/Plaisance
C: Paris/Coates/Hamblin

Dallas could also make a trade for Bonner,Stokes,MCcoughtry or Dolson.

Their options are limitless.

sigur3

PostPosted: 03/03/17 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would the Sky trade someone they just got in return for their franchise player?

zune69

PostPosted: 03/03/17 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Why would the Sky trade someone they just got in return for their franchise player?

1.Because chicago already has a young budding stud at center.

2.Because chicago has a hole at the SF position.

3.Because Dolson will be a RFA next summer and get a max offer from multiple teams.Can chicago afford 3 max bench players ?(Dolson,Quigley,Faulkner).Is it wise to tie up money in bench players when you have a hole at SF ? Giving three sub 20 minute bench players max contracts when you have a void in the starting lineup is just stupid.

There are many reasons why chicago would entertain trade offers for Dolson

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/03/17 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

BTW...in 2015 Diggins missed 25 games,Johnson missed 34 games,Dallas still finished above .500 with a 18-16 record.Seattle last season had 3 all wnba players,no injuries,and finished below .500.

I voted for the Sky just for your information. Me being a Storm fan has nothing to do with the fact that Diggins and Glory havent been good defenders so far in the wnba..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/03/17 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I put Seattle...Stewie is THAT good...made an incredible run late and you know they're gonna want a home playoff game...Not sure if an Aging Bird will copy her rejuvenation that happened last year but with Lloyd entering pivotal year 3...I see a lot of good.

Still need to know what to do with Langhorne...love the swords deal...having a true pure rebounding center frees up Stewie to go off anywhere on the court...happened last year with Krystal fn Thomas whenever she was on the floor...shrewd trade...a reason why sum total a middling serviceable starter commanded 2 players and a first round pick. and seattle only gave up the pick. Could she end up the Brian Cardinal of the WNBA...possibly but given how things worked...I think Seattle knows how important a true center is to their offense...also have great depth in Tok and a burgeoning KML...think 5th with a shot to take the 4 hole if someone has a bad start.

PostPosted: 03/03/17 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I voted for the Sky just for your information. Me being a Storm fan has nothing to do with the fact that Diggins and Glory havent been good defenders so far in the wnba..

Who you voted for is irrelevant.It still doesn't change that fact that you're undervaluing Johnson's impact on the defensive side of the basketball.I agree with you about Diggins,but not on Johnson.Glory has caused problems for some of the better offensive players in the league like Parker & Griner.Glory's biggest problem is that she can be over aggressive at times,and pick up stupid fouls.Glory is without a doubt a top 5 defensive starting PF.The only starting pf's better are Brunson,Charles,Ogwumike & Stewart.I believe Taj Mcwilliams will have a positive impact on the post players.

Johnson and Diggins have missed a combined 84 games over the last two seasons.Dallas/Tulsa still managed to make the playoffs in 2015.

Last time I picked Dallas to win 20+ games,they jumped out of the gate with a 8-1 record.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 03/03/17 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Boucek is a much worse coach than Williams. She was the worst coaching hire in the league since Nolan Richardson.

zune69

PostPosted: 03/03/17 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle's late season run was overrated imo.

W vs New York(No Stokes,No Wright)
W vs Washington(No Latta,No Sanders)
W vs Los Angeles(No.Ogwumike,No Toliver)
L vs Phoenix-lost by 24
W vs chicago(No Delle donne,No Pondexter,No Vandersloot)
L vs Atlanta(No Hayes,No Lyttle)

Seattle beat a lot of teams that were missing multiple rotation players.Then lost in the playoffs to a dream team that was missing two starters.

Swords is a good pickup,I just think that seattle overpaid.They should have waited until draft day to make a trade(see who declares)

Ay Mate wrote:

Boucek is a much worse coach than Williams. She was the worst coaching hire in the league since Nolan Richardson.

Never been a fan of Boucek.

Last edited by zune69 on 03/03/17 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/03/17 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In those glorious three seasons when Glory was around and healthy enough to play at least 29 games, Tulsa won 9, 11 and 12 games, and finished 11th, 11th and 12th in the league in defensive efficiency. In a 12-team league.

zune69 wrote:
Johnson and Diggins have missed a combined 84 games over the last two seasons.Dallas/Tulsa still managed to make the playoffs in 2015.

Yes, the results of a team from two years ago that was led by Odyssesy Sims, Plenette Pierson and Riquna Williams are clearly hugely relevant to how Dallas will perform this season...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: