RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Napheesa Collier Worship Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/25/17 10:38 am    ::: The Napheesa Collier Worship Thread Reply Reply with quote

Currently, among 3191 D1 players Napheesa Collier is:

#2 in Eff (20.3)
#1 in TS% (72.7)
#1 in eFG% (70.0)
#2 in FG% (68.0)

She also shoots 38.3 in 3FG%, a skill that other high FG% shooters don't have at all -- e.g., Brionna Jones, Alaina Coates, Kalani Brown and Brianna Turner.

On the best team in the country Collier is:

#1 in RPG (9.0)
#1 in BPG (1.8)
#2 in SPG (1.8)
#2 in PPG (19.8)

Collier can catch any pass, finish under any kind of pressure, and simply has a nose for being where the ball is.

Geno Auriemma calls Collier the most unguardable player on his team.

Collier is exactly the kind of front court player that coaches Naismith, Wade and Wooden would have wanted on their teams.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/25/17 12:47 pm    ::: Re: The Napheesa Collier Worship Thread Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

It seems you are saying that as it would be harder to rack up "total stats" playing on the best (or a win-by-thirty-points-every-game dominant team). Since they can score so easily, there are more possessions in UConn games. I think it depends on when Auriemma sits his starters as to whether they play more or fewer possessions than an average team.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/25/17 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the record, Collier was considered the sixth best player in her class. Ahead of her on the ESPN list were

Katie Lou Samuelson
Asia Durr
Jessica Shepard
Cecilia Zandalasini
Angela Salvadores

Presumably Collier would be No. 1 now, with others behind her including

Kristine Anigwe
Arike Ogumbowale
Kalani Brown
Marina Mabrey
Sophie Cunningham

PostPosted: 02/25/17 2:45 pm    ::: Re: The Napheesa Collier Worship Thread Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

It seems you are saying that as it would be harder to rack up "total stats" playing on the best (or a win-by-thirty-points-every-game dominant team). Since they can score so easily, there are more possessions in UConn games. I think it depends on when Auriemma sits his starters as to whether they play more or fewer possessions than an average team.

Tfan, I actually don't understand what you're saying.

UConn only has 10 players, and three of them don't play much. Collier averages 29.9 minutes per game, which is third on the team, but actually all five starters average between 29 and 31 minutes.

ClayK wrote:
For the record, Collier was considered the sixth best player in her class. Ahead of her on the ESPN list were

Katie Lou Samuelson
Asia Durr
Jessica Shepard
Cecilia Zandalasini
Angela Salvadores

Presumably Collier would be No. 1 now

It's highly debatable and debated as to who is the best player on UConn. I've featured Napheesa Collier and Gabby Williams in thread topics today, but my vote would still probably go to Katie Lou Samuelson, even though she's been in a three-point shooting funk ever since returning from illness about 10 games ago. She's UConn's leading scorer and is 13th in the country in 3FG's made, 15 behind the national leader Tori Jankoska (with one fewer game played).
tfan

PostPosted: 02/25/17 2:52 pm    ::: Re: The Napheesa Collier Worship Thread Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

You said "on the best team in the country" and then listed her stats. Why did you point out she was on the best team in the country before listing her stats?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/25/17 3:33 pm    ::: Re: The Napheesa Collier Worship Thread Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

You said "on the best team in the country" and then listed her stats. Why did you point out she was on the best team in the country before listing her stats?

I wanted to lay out key stats on a national basis and on her own team. I think it's relevant that she's putting up those team numbers, not by being the the only good and a very high usage player on Podunk State, but while competing for stats against elite teammates such as Katie Lou Samuelson, Gabby Williams and ESPN's pre-season 7th best player in the country, Kia Nurse.

Collier's usage percentage is only 24.5, which is 513th in the nation and second on UConn to Samuelson's 28.4. (This means Collier has the ball on 24.5% of UConn's plays.) Compare this to the USG% of Precious Hall (38.3, 1st in the nation), Jessica Shepard (36.3, 2nd), Nia Coffey (34.6, 10th), Kelsey Plum (33.6, 19th), Victoria Vivians (32.2, 37th).
tfan

PostPosted: 02/25/17 5:24 pm    ::: Re: The Napheesa Collier Worship Thread Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I wanted to lay out key stats on a national basis and on her own team. I think it's relevant that she's putting up those team numbers, not by being the the only good and a very high usage player on Podunk State, but while competing for stats against elite teammates such as Katie Lou Samuelson, Gabby Williams and ESPN's pre-season 7th best player in the country, Kia Nurse.

Collier's usage percentage is only 24.5, which is 513th in the nation and second on UConn to Samuelson's 28.4. (This means Collier has the ball on 24.5% of UConn's plays.) Compare this to the USG% of Precious Hall (38.3, 1st in the nation), Jessica Shepard (36.3, 2nd), Nia Coffey (34.6, 10th), Kelsey Plum (33.6, 19th), Victoria Vivians (32.2, 37th).

Well there is competition for points and rebounds, but I think blocks and steals are competition free with regard to teammates. The other two go with my previous post - UConn blows teams out - scoring with the most ease of any team in the nation. Easy scoring means more possessions in a game. So Collier might only have the ball for 24.5% of possessions, but the number of possessions for UConn and number odfefensive sets for UConn should be very high. That high of a shooting percentage is usually reflective of a lot of chippies from some player or players breaking down the defense and leaving her all alone underneath, or she gets rebounds next to clumsier/shorter/slower defenders and puts them back in. That is, you don't shoot 68% from 15 feet or even 10 feet.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/25/17 6:55 pm    ::: Re: The Napheesa Collier Worship Thread Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Just for informational purposes there have been 3 UConn players in Geno's entire career that averaged 20+ pts/game. Kerry Bascomb*, current coach of DIII powerhouse Tufts, did it twice and Moore and Stewart did it once.

One would think that if being on a powerhouse team was an advantage that there would be more. The fact that Bascomb* did it twice when UConn wasn't loaded with AA's only supports that.

* edited to correct name.

Last edited by linkster on 02/25/17 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/25/17 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Berube? That can't be right. Kerry Bascomb, maybe.
linkster

PostPosted: 02/25/17 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Berube? That can't be right. Kerry Bascomb, maybe.

Yeah, you are right. before my time. But that doesn't change the point that UConn this year, playing the toughest schedule in the country, has 2 players who can accomplish it. Collier is averaging about 12 shots a game and scoring 19.8.
Who would think UConn would be getting 33 point a game from posts who were 6'1" and 5'11"? Certainly not on November 1. Rebounding was supposed to be UConn's weak link. Collier & Williams average 18/game.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/25/17 8:06 pm    ::: Re: The Napheesa Collier Worship Thread Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Well there is competition for points and rebounds, but I think blocks and steals are competition free with regard to teammates. The other two go with my previous post - UConn blows teams out - scoring with the most ease of any team in the nation. Easy scoring means more possessions in a game. So Collier might only have the ball for 24.5% of possessions, but the number of possessions for UConn and number odfefensive sets for UConn should be very high. That high of a shooting percentage is usually reflective of a lot of chippies from some player or players breaking down the defense and leaving her all alone underneath, or sh
e gets rebounds next to clumsier/shorter/slower defenders and puts them back in. That is, you don't shoot 68% from 15 feet or even 10 feet.

Actually UConn is ranked 126th in DI as far as possessions/game. But try watching last night's Stanford-Or St game. On one series OSU had 7 straight offensive boards and kept missing. And several of those attempts were chippies.

Last edited by linkster on 02/26/17 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/25/17 8:41 pm    ::: Re: The Napheesa Collier Worship Thread Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

UConn blows teams out - scoring with the most ease of any team in the nation. Easy scoring means more possessions in a game. So Collier might only have the ball for 24.5% of possessions, but the number of possessions for UConn and number odfefensive sets for UConn should be very high.

A very high number of possessions not the reason for Collier's brilliant stats. UConn averages 73.2 possessions per game, which is 87th in the nation. Also, in any given game, UConn has exactly the same number of possessions (+/- 1) as their opponent.

First, you have to understand that UConn's defense is the second best in the country on a per possession basis. This means the opponent is often taken deep into the 30 second clock, which slows down the game. The worse the team, the deeper into their clock they will go. So, even if UConn can score quickly on its possessions, the total number of possessions in the game cannot be very high.

Second, you have to understand that UConn's offense is first in the country on a per possession basis. They score more than anyone else per possession because they have the most efficient offense -- and efficiency is measured by a formula based on field goals, free throws, assists and offensive rebounds. UConn does the amalgamation of all these offensive things better than anyone else, on each average possession. They do so in part because they have the most effective team offense in the country, and in part because they have individual players who are elite shooters, passers and rebounders such as Collier, Samuelson and Williams.

All three deserve to be on the ten player AA team.
tfan

PostPosted: 02/26/17 2:31 am    ::: Re: The Napheesa Collier Worship Thread Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Just for informational purposes there have been 3 UConn players in Geno's entire career that averaged 20+ pts/game. Kerry Bascomb*, current coach of DIII powerhouse Tufts, did it twice and Moore and Stewart did it once.

One would think that if being on a powerhouse team was an advantage that there would be more. The fact that Bascomb* did it twice when UConn wasn't loaded with AA's only supports that.

* edited to correct name.

I left it open as to whether it was an advantage based on when Auriemma pulled his starters in all those 30 point blowout wins. If he pulls them early they could get less possessions than a typical starter, but if he leaves them in till five minutes left in the fourth quarter then they could get more.

I am not sure how common it is to average more than 20 points in a college women's game. But when you have elite players at every position who are all better than their opponent I guess it does lead to the scoring being well distributed.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/26/17 2:42 am    ::: Re: The Napheesa Collier Worship Thread Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
tfan wrote:

UConn blows teams out - scoring with the most ease of any team in the nation. Easy scoring means more possessions in a game. So Collier might only have the ball for 24.5% of possessions, but the number of possessions for UConn and number odfefensive sets for UConn should be very high.

A very high number of possessions not the reason for Collier's brilliant stats. UConn averages 73.2 possessions per game, which is 87th in the nation.

Well, that is surprising. Where are you getting that stat from?

Quote:

Also, in any given game, UConn has exactly the same number of possessions (+/- 1) as their opponent.

But they only lose by 30 points to UConn twice a year, while UConn wins by 30 points 25 times a year.

Quote:

First, you have to understand that UConn's defense is the second best in the country on a per possession basis. This means the opponent is often taken deep into the 30 second clock, which slows down the game. The worse the team, the deeper into their clock they will go. So, even if UConn can score quickly on its possessions, the total number of possessions in the game cannot be very high.

Yeah, I forgot about their opponent having to struggle deep into the shot clock each possession

Quote:
Second, you have to understand that UConn's offense is first in the country on a per possession basis. They score more than anyone else per possession because they have the most efficient offense

I don't doubt that they are efficient in terms of percentage scoring, but I was also expecting them to be efficient in terms of shot clock used.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/26/17 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got all my stats in this thread from the WBB State pay site. It has advanced metrics for each player and team such as efficiency, TS%, eFG%, USG%, O-PPP, D-PPP, and pace (# of possessions).
PhillyCat

PostPosted: 02/26/17 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

During Collier's senior year in high school Geno was asked about her while interviewed on a St Louis sports radio station:

"She holds herself accountable, she doesn't blame anybody when things don't go her way. When they lose it's her fault, not anybody else's. She gives all the credit to her teammates, her coaching staff when they win. She's not well 'I got my 26' or 'if we lost it wasn't because of me because I got mine.' She's more about being a leader and that sets her apart from your average kid that plays high school basketball. The first time I saw her play I liked her. The second time I liked her more. The third time I liked her more. The fourth time I loved her and by the time I met her family I loved her even more. I would have been devastated if we didn't get that kid because she's going to be something special."

dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 02/26/17 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="PhillyCat"]During Collier's senior year in high school Geno was asked about her while interviewed on a St Louis sports radio station:

"She holds herself accountable, she doesn't blame anybody when things don't go her way. When they lose it's her fault, not anybody else's. She gives all the credit to her teammates, her coaching staff when they win. She's not well 'I got my 26' or 'if we lost it wasn't because of me because I got mine.' She's more about being a leader and that sets her apart from your average kid that plays high school basketball. The first time I saw her play I liked her. The second time I liked her more. The third time I liked her more. The fourth time I loved her and by the time I met her family I loved her even more. I would have been devastated if we didn't get that kid because she's going to be something special."
[/quote
And Special she is!!, an amazing basketball player and she'll get even better

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/28/17 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vs. USF in season final:

39 points on 15-19, 2-3, 7-8, with 12 reb, 2 asst, 4 blk, 1 stl.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/28/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queen Napheesa

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: