RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DC Mystics 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/23/17 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since the Mystics theme this season is local flavor, I think they'll stick with the script and go with SWK over Coffey. That'll be adding yet another good 3 pt shooter (on the college level anyway) to the roster. If BJones shows up at #6, they'll take her instead.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/23/17 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Mystics resigned Tianna Hawkins.

My Projected 2017 Mystics Roster

Toliver/Cloud
Hill/Latta
EDD/Ruffin-Pratt/Taylor/(#6 Pick Coffey- Swing 3/4)
Hawkins/Thomas
Meesseman/Sanders

leaves a pretty thin guard core, especially considering recent injuries.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/23/17 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The addition of Hawkins and EDD's multi position options now allows Washington to go back-court with the #6 pick, SWK, A. Jones, Peterson someone decent will be there

maybe
Toliver/Latta
Hill/Cloud/#6 SWK
TRP/Taylor
EDD/Hawkins/Sanders
Messeman/K. Thomas

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/23/17 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
The addition of Hawkins and EDD's multi position options now allows Washington to go back-court with the #6 pick, SWK, A. Jones, Peterson someone decent will be there

maybe
Toliver/Latta
Hill/Cloud/#6 SWK
TRP/Taylor
EDD/Hawkins/Sanders
Messeman/K. Thomas

I agree. They are more likely to go guard. Unless a big they really like drops there.

- Amanda Gorman
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/23/17 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree too. I think a wing player is a logical addition.

PostPosted: 02/25/17 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fringe WNBA player Asia Taylor making waves in WNBL

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-25/fringe-wnba-player-asia-taylor-making-waves-in-wnbl/8303532?pfmredir=sm&section=sport

Quote:
"Being in Australia was the best of both worlds because the league is so competitive but off the court I get to go to the beach, I get to learn how to surf and hang out, it's the perfect mix."

Quote:
"I had no idea Washington was interested and I think Washington would be a good place for me to come into my own and make a name for myself again in the league," Taylor said.

"What I've been doing here, I'm going to try and translate that back in the States."

Moving back into the WNBA format will prove a very different experience then Taylor has had here during summer, with so much attention surrounding her game.

"I'm excited about the fact that [Washington] have such big names, people won't worry about me," she said.

"Here in Australia I'm on everybody's scouting report, it's like 'you gotta stop Asia, you gotta foul her, you gotta do all this stuff', so I get to go on a team where I'm not the most important.

"Buckets I get are going to be a lot easier, it's going to be easier to just do what I do, so thankful to them getting all the attention and I'll just take some open lay-ups for sure."

Quote:
"Everybody says really good things about Australia and I will definitely continue to do that to other people who possibly want to come out here," Taylor said.

She should talk to Shoni Schimmel.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 02/27/17 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
[quote=Please keep me posted on this. I live in Middletown and would love to join a bus trip to DC. i used to have season tickets when I lived in Columbia, MD. Thanks!

Delaware Express got back with me, at the moment they are scheduling two trips to Washington.

" Hi we currently have two trips scheduled one on May 14th and the other August 6th

Please call 454-7800 to make a reservation" $35 for the bus to Washington. You have to purchase ticket to get in. This is a pre-season game. My guess there seeing what kind of response they get before scheduling more dates.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/27/17 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
wnbafan wrote:
[quote=Please keep me posted on this. I live in Middletown and would love to join a bus trip to DC. i used to have season tickets when I lived in Columbia, MD. Thanks!

Delaware Express got back with me, at the moment they are scheduling two trips to Washington.

" Hi we currently have two trips scheduled one on May 14th and the other August 6th

Please call 454-7800 to make a reservation" $35 for the bus to Washington. You have to purchase ticket to get in. This is a pre-season game. My guess there seeing what kind of response they get before scheduling more dates.

You'd better start getting the word out. Make Del. aware.

PostPosted: 02/27/17 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks. I will post on the MOT Facebook site.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/27/17 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

maybe
Toliver/Latta
Hill/Cloud/#6 SWK
TRP/Taylor
EDD/Hawkins/Sanders
Messeman/K. Thomas

I started posting on the mock draft thread that the Styx would take B. Jones if available. Ended up talking myself into SWK instead due to the addition of K.Thomas and T.Hawkins. I knew when Krystal was playing for Duke that she was WNBA level on defense and that has proved to be true. She was picked low due to her college coach trying to set her up as a scoring post, which she is not. She did a decent job defending Griner and can easily outrebound her.

Now, what about Asia Taylor? Amongst our posts with guard skills, she's a guard size player with post skills. Can she play her game with the slashing guards while the posts slide out to get an outlet 3 pt shot? She's tearing it up in Australia.

~rAf
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/28/17 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

maybe
Toliver/Latta
Hill/Cloud/#6 SWK
TRP/Taylor
EDD/Hawkins/Sanders
Messeman/K. Thomas

I started posting on the mock draft thread that the Styx would take B. Jones if available. Ended up talking myself into SWK instead due to the addition of K.Thomas and T.Hawkins. I knew when Krystal was playing for Duke that she was WNBA level on defense and that has proved to be true. She was picked low due to her college coach trying to set her up as a scoring post, which she is not. She did a decent job defending Griner and can easily outrebound her.

Now, what about Asia Taylor? Amongst our posts with guard skills, she's a guard size player with post skills. Can she play her game with the slashing guards while the posts slide out to get an outlet 3 pt shot? She's tearing it up in Australia.

As some people have been saying lately success for certain players is all about fit and opportunity. IMO Taylor and Thomas have ended up in a great situation for what they bring to the table.

With EDD and Messeman like playing large roles in the post Thomas will be called upon a lot to bring her physical defensive presence to balance out their mid-range and long rage game. The Mystics co go big with EDD at the 3, Meesseman at the 4 and Thomas bring rim protection at the 5, or play Messeman at the 5 and EDD at the 4 in which case Thomas can come in when either go to the bench to provide defense while the other stay on the court. And with Offensive minded players like Toliver, Hill and Latta on the perimeter Thomas really can focus on what she does best and get her points with rebounds and put backs or dump off after a guard or EDD or Meesseman gets doubled in the post.

Taylor is in a similar spot, you can play her at the 3 with either EDD or Messeman at the 4, on defense she can guard the small forward position, and on offense with either EDD or Meesseman able to play on the perimeter Asia can switch it up and go into the post where she will either have a size advantage against the smaller wing player, or a speed advantage if they switch the SF onto EDD on the perimeter and leave the PF on Asia in the post. This is Taylors chance to not only play but to become an actual piece of a rotation that can be successful.

Another player I've always like is Latta, she didn't have the best season last year, but the addition of EDD and Toliver and the steady play of Meesseman and the emergence of Hill puts Latta in the position of bench scoring a role that I think she can thrive in as well. She is smart enough to know when to give up the ball when you have top level talent playing alongside you, and when to pick your moments to score. In years past she may have felt the need to push her scoring, but I think she can easily evolve into crafty veteran leader who score in a timely fashion, pushes tempo, and sets up the stars.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 03/01/17 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Another player I've always like is Latta, she didn't have the best season last year, but the addition of EDD and Toliver and the steady play of Meesseman and the emergence of Hill puts Latta in the position of bench scoring a role that I think she can thrive in as well. She is smart enough to know when to give up the ball when you have top level talent playing alongside you, and when to pick your moments to score. In years past she may have felt the need to push her scoring, but I think she can easily evolve into crafty veteran leader who score in a timely fashion, pushes tempo, and sets up the stars.

Very Happy Exclamation I agree.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 03/26/17 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elena is welcoming Spring and the upcoming WNBA season!

https://twitter.com/WashMystics/status/843844611739189248

wnbafan

PostPosted: 03/28/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Delaware Express said they need a few more people to sign up for the bus trip on May 14th to watch Elena and the Mystics play.

If you know anyone in the Delaware area, please ask them to join us.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 03/28/17 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
Delaware Express said they need a few more people to sign up for the bus trip on May 14th to watch Elena and the Mystics play.

If you know anyone in the Delaware area, please ask them to join us.

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Part of the problem is thats Mother's Day

wnbafan

PostPosted: 03/30/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They called me today and said there are 20 people (I made 21) so it will not be cancelled.

I bought my bus ticket and then bought my game ticket.

See you on the bus! Thanks for getting the trip set up.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/05/17 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, with the entry of A.Gray and K.Davis to the draft, one mock has it going thusly:

1. SA-Plum
2. CHI-Gray
3. DAL-Coates
4. NYL-B. Jones
5. SAS-Wiese
6. WAS-Coffey
7.ATL-Davis
8. CONN- Walker Kimbrough
9. CHI-Akhator
10. DAL-A. Jones
11. LA-Osahor
12-MIN-Peterson

Given the current Styx roster with just 4 guards, how can SWK be passed up for a 3/4 like Coffee? I think Latta's best days are behind her - she did exactly what Mike T brought her in to do in energizing the roster and making this a franchise EDD would actively seek to join.

SWK has a similar skillset to Hill and with Latta still on the roster, we'd have 3 who can play PG. Given Toliver's absences to play overseas during the WNBA season, we have to keep 2 others who can play PG at all times. Given this, another option would be to take L.Allen and have one pure PG as having PG's of Cloud and Latta is not going to win many games. Remember we don't have to get as much scoring from the guards with EDD on board. Downside on Allen is she'll be left open while the defender is doubling up on EDD/Meeseman. But she can distribute the rock.

~rAf
sigur3

PostPosted: 04/05/17 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, I think Wiese would fit really well there. You're already going to be shooting a boatload of threes, so another ballhandler would be more necessary than a gazillionth wing IMO. When Cloud is on the floor teams are going to more or less ignore her, and they wouldn't be able to do that with Wiese.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/06/17 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
So, with the entry of A.Gray and K.Davis to the draft, one mock has it going thusly:

1. SA-Plum
2. CHI-Gray
3. DAL-Coates
4. NYL-B. Jones
5. SAS-Wiese
6. WAS-Coffey
7.ATL-Davis
8. CONN- Walker Kimbrough
9. CHI-Akhator
10. DAL-A. Jones
11. LA-Osahor
12-MIN-Peterson

Given the current Styx roster with just 4 guards, how can SWK be passed up for a 3/4 like Coffee? I think Latta's best days are behind her - she did exactly what Mike T brought her in to do in energizing the roster and making this a franchise EDD would actively seek to join.

SWK has a similar skillset to Hill and with Latta still on the roster, we'd have 3 who can play PG. Given Toliver's absences to play overseas during the WNBA season, we have to keep 2 others who can play PG at all times. Given this, another option would be to take L.Allen and have one pure PG as having PG's of Cloud and Latta is not going to win many games. Remember we don't have to get as much scoring from the guards with EDD on board. Downside on Allen is she'll be left open while the defender is doubling up on EDD/Meeseman. But she can distribute the rock.

Only problem is NY does not have the #4 pick . That would be my Dallas Wings Once more after Pick #3 In which id be satisfied with both bigs in this draft !!

PostPosted: 04/06/17 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I've seen of Nia Coffey she's mobile, has the toughness to play defense and rebound something the Mystics need more than a 5th Guard buried on the bench if the team is going to play a Golden State Warriors style of ball.

stever

PostPosted: 04/06/17 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
What I've seen of Nia Coffey she's mobile, has the toughness to play defense and rebound something the Mystics need more than a 5th Guard buried on the bench if the team is going to play a Golden State Warriors style of ball.

RunDMV? Wink

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/06/17 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

FOUR guards. Ivory Latta has spent more time injured than playing the past 2 years. KTO has (inter)national team commitments. That leaves Cloud and Hill. Suddenly that "buried on the bench" player becomes a HIGHLY needed backup guard. Love TRP but she can't shoot and neither can Cloud. EDD & Meeseman love to shoot outside and they're both pretty good at it. But do we really need either of them to be the ONLY players hitting from outside?

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/06/17 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

FOUR guards. Ivory Latta has spent more time injured than playing the past 2 years. KTO has (inter)national team commitments. That leaves Cloud and Hill. Suddenly that "buried on the bench" player becomes a HIGHLY needed backup guard. Love TRP but she can't shoot and neither can Cloud. EDD & Meeseman love to shoot outside and they're both pretty good at it. But do we really need either of them to be the ONLY players hitting from outside?

What the Mystics need for their new style of play is a quasi 3/4 who will rebound and play defense which will help take pressure off of EDD and Emma.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/06/17 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

What the Mystics need for their new style of play is a quasi 3/4 who will rebound and play defense which will help take pressure off of EDD and Emma.

Like Copper...oh, wait a minute...I actually think McCall would be a good fit in this role but #6 may be a bit high for her. With T's emphasis on fit though, she could go there.

But I do think they need another good guard as well. This year's draft is deep in guards - so at #18, Peterson, Romero, Allen, Jankoska, Epps - someone of these should still be there. Therefore, I think for their first pick they take best available, even if that is a post (which they could also use) or a 3/4 type player.

- Amanda Gorman
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/06/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Like Copper...oh, wait a minute...I actually think McCall would be a good fit in this role but #6 may be a bit high for her. With T's emphasis on fit though, she could go there.

But I do think they need another good guard as well. This year's draft is deep in guards - so at #18, Peterson, Romero, Allen, Jankoska, Epps - someone of these should still be there. Therefore, I think for their first pick they take best available, even if that is a post (which they could also use) or a 3/4 type player.

I sorta agree with you. The Mystics should select the best available frontcourt player with the 6th selection in the 1st round then maybe select a guard in the 2nd round of the draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 7 of 20

Jump to: