RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why things and people were better 80 years ago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/25/17 1:30 pm    ::: Why things and people were better 80 years ago Reply Reply with quote

Let's just start with luxury cars.

Here's a 1936 Mercedes-Benz 500K roadster:

This is a modern Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead coupe:

Which is more stylish, elegant, opulent, classic and timeless? It's obvious.

The Mercedes was designed by people who read Greek and Latin in high school, had beautiful cursive handwriting, could diagram sentences, listened to Mozart, recited Wordsworth, and conversed about Renaissance art.

The Rolls Royce -- which likely has a great stereo and trip computer -- was designed by people who converse in 140 character superficialities, full of misspellings and lacking punctuation, who can only print or type with their thumbs, who listen to Beyonce, recite groupthink talking points, watch CGI comic book movies, and talk about video games.

Country roads, take me home . . . .

QED.
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/25/17 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. The level of classism and ageism in here, with just a soupçon of racism to add that special note of bitterness, is astounding.

And for the record, even if I had a driver's license and any urge to own a car, I wouldn't spend a penny on either of those as a vehicle.

(now with spelling variations)
PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/25/17 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, I think the first is ugly and over-the-top in its design elements, while the second is cleaner and much more attractive. And I don't even communicate on Twitter.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/25/17 3:30 pm    ::: Re: Why things and people were better 80 years ago Reply Reply with quote

Interestng analysis.
GlennMacGrady wrote:
The Mercedes was designed by people who read Greek and Latin in high school, had beautiful cursive handwriting, could diagram sentences, listened to Mozart, recited Wordsworth, and conversed about Renaissance art.

I am possessed of "beautiful" cursive handwriting--according to my former teachers--can diagram sentences, and did indeed read Latin in hs. Not a Mozart fan, avoid poets, and prefer Monet over Michelangelo.

And if I was FORCED to pick one of those vehicles, it would even be the Mercedes.

To me, the INTERESTING part of the comparison is that one component is comprised of those who view The Past as The Gold Standard, while the other is comprised of those who live in the moment, and see the Present and The Future as their canvas for creative expression. Neither is better, one is more dynamic.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/25/17 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No doubt in my mind the '36 Mercedes is a glorious work of art and is the much more appealing of the two.

Alas, they're both just automobiles. The projection/extrapolation is pure GM. (if to be taken seriously though, it's a tell for his Trump enabling, imo).

I like this 1936 Dusenberg SSJ Speedster:

Last edited by cthskzfn on 02/25/17 11:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Richard 77

PostPosted: 02/25/17 4:49 pm    ::: Re: Why things and people were better 80 years ago Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

The Rolls Royce -- which likely has a great stereo and trip computer -- was designed by people who converse in 140 character superficialities, full of misspellings and lacking punctuation, who can only print or type with their thumbs, who listen to Beyonce, recite groupthink talking points, watch CGI comic book movies, and talk about video games.

QED.

The upper one reminds me of Chitty.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/25/17 5:38 pm    ::: Re: Why things and people were better 80 years ago Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

QED.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. If given a choice, I would take the modernized Rolls Royce. The Mercedes model shown above now belongs in an auto museum or Jay Leno's garage and collection (though he probably has one already).

PostPosted: 02/25/17 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To just sit, look at and daydream, the roadster.

The coupe looks heavy, boxy and like it ran into a wall.

I wouldn't want to own either of them.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/25/17 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why things and people were better 80 years ago. Because [the prettiest car I can find from then] is IMO nicer than [the ugliest car I can find from today]
I'm loving the early rationale of this thread. Laughing Looking forward to more amazing examples of equivalency as it continues.

PostPosted: 02/25/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure if you were a white, male, Anglo-Saxon Protestant in Manhattan who could afford a MB 500K roadster, things were probably just hunky dory in 1936.

If you were a farmer in the dust bowl, a Jew in Poland, a woman just about anywhere, an African American in South Carolina, or a Chinese in Manchuria, among many others, well not so much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: