Board Junkies Forums

WNBL (Australia) 2016/17 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/24/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today is WNBL semi final game 1 day!

Both games will be live streamed on YouTube.
(And rather than Sydney's usual awful commentary team, this evening we get the wonderful pairing of Jenni Screen and Carly Wilson Smile )
Why the hell the WNBL scheduled these games to clash is beyond me! Rolling Eyes

[2] Dandenong Rangers vs. [3] Perth Lynx - 6:30pm local time = 2:30am Eastern USA = 7:30am London
YouTube
Live Stats

[1] Sydney Uni Flames vs. [4] Townsville Fire - 7pm local time = 3:00am Eastern USA = 8:00am London
YouTube - 1st Half - 2nd Half
Live Stats

I'm tipping Dandenong to take care of business against Perth. They know the formula for beating us, and they have the players (i.e. backcourt defenders) to pull it off. Sami Whitcomb will be closely checked by Todhunter, Novosel and Cumming all game. If Perth has a potential advantage it is Ruth Hamblin in the middle, so hopefully we will be pounding it in to her regularly, and she has her sticky hands today rather than her butter-coated ones.

The other game should be a good one. The two teams in the best form right now, each with plenty of players capable of having an impact, but also not a lot of equal match-ups between players so it will be interesting to see who can get loose. As I check the schedule now, these teams matched up 4 times in the regular season, and the final winning margins were 1, 1, 2 and 6 points!

Last edited by Luuuc on 02/25/17 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/25/17 3:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I'm tipping Dandenong to take care of business against Perth.

Joining the game barely 40 minutes after tip-off, you're looking kinda accurate (blowout heading to halftime).

P.S. I'm not sure what I thought it was, but I never would've guessed that that's how you pronounce Blicavs.

PostPosted: 02/25/17 3:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
I'm tipping Dandenong to take care of business against Perth.

Joining the game barely 40 minutes after tip-off, you're looking kinda accurate (blowout heading to halftime).

P.S. I'm not sure what I thought it was, but I never would've guessed that that's how you pronounce Blicavs.

Yeah, I don't get how it becomes blitz-avs either. Not that I claim to know anything about Latvian.

I'm sticking with this game because I'm ride or die (definitely die today!) but I'd suggest you tune in to the other one.

PostPosted: 02/25/17 5:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well that Lynx game was tough to watch. It was very similar to the last one. We were well shut down. At least we showed some spirit in the 4th to get it to a single digit margin and give me some hope that we can defend home court in game 2 next weekend.

The other game ... yikes! The camera was not zoomed in close enough IMO and there were audio issues, and then there was the little problem of the Fire getting completely extinguished. 111 points is the highest score all season.

Dandenong 73 (Cumming 25p 5r, Novosel 15p, Blicavs 11p 8r, Kennedy 8p 5r, Todhunter 7p 7r, Clydesdale 3p 7r 5a)
Perth 66 (Whitcomb 24p 13r, Hamblin 15p 7r, Lavey 11p 4s, Butler 5p 6r)
Boxscore
YouTube

Sydney 111 (Wilson 27p, Taylor 19p, Mitchell 19p, Snell 10p 6r 5a, Tupaea 9p 7r, Hamson 6p 10r)
Townsville 69 (Batkovic 18p 10r 5a, Murray 17p 5r, Garbin 10p)
Boxscore
YouTube: 1st Half | 2nd Half

PostPosted: 02/25/17 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Belinda Snell must be one of the all-time greats in having her impact exceed her raw stats (despite not necessarily being a great defender - the 'traditional' way to achieve that duality). She shot 40%, only scored 10 points, but she was huge in that game helping Sydney just take it away from Townsville. Throughout her career she's just seemed to hit meaningful shots, even if you then look at her numbers at the end of the year and think "well that was mediocre".

At the same time, while Natasha Cloud provides things that don't necessarily show up in the box score, I can't help feeling that if she was really that good she should be doing a hell of a lot more at WNBL level. Can't help wondering sometimes if she's actually a useful, steady hand for Washington, or if she's been put in such a basic role that a whole swathe of players could be performing the same role to a similar standard.

PostPosted: 02/25/17 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
At the same time, while Natasha Cloud provides things that don't necessarily show up in the box score, I can't help feeling that if she was really that good she should be doing a hell of a lot more at WNBL level. Can't help wondering sometimes if she's actually a useful, steady hand for Washington, or if she's been put in such a basic role that a whole swathe of players could be performing the same role to a similar standard.

I like Cloud, but if she had just been a random player with no WNBA background, then based on what I've seen from her this season there is nothing about her game that would have had me thinking "you know someone in the WNBA should really give her a chance!"
I expected more from her down here this season. "Steady" is a good choice of adjectives for her. She can hold her own, but usually to make it at that next level there is some aspect of your game that is at a high level.

PostPosted: 02/25/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like most players who can't score, Cloud usually looks pretty boring. Post players can grab rebounds and block shots to get attention. For a perimeter player, it's mostly points or assists -- and assists are harder to come by. They are very dependent on the quality of your teammates. Cloud's ATO in her two WNBA seasons is a very good 2.57 on a respectable assist percentage of 27.1. To put that in perspective, here are the career Ast% for some veteran PGs: Bird 31.8, Vandersloot 30.7, DRob 30.3, Whalen 29.6, January 24.1%, Latta 21.7, J. Thomas, 21.7, Toliver 20.8%. So, Cloud gives you above average ball security with middle-of-the-pack distributing ability. She is also a big 6-0 PG, which is rare. For teams that do a lot of switching, that's attractive on the defensive end. I think Laimbeer would be happy to have her. Cloud's basic problem is that she can't shoot -- at least not from 2-point range. From 3Pt, she was a decent 33.8% last season and 30.8% for her career. That's consistent with her senior year in college when she was only 36.8% overall but a solid 35.1% from 3Pt. So, if you're an optimist, there's potential for Cloud to be a 3 and D player who also provides steady ballhandling. That's a lot to bring to the table if she can pull it off. Cloud just needs to improve her long-range shooting slightly and then establish consistency. Not a given, but certainly doable.

PostPosted: 02/25/17 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Like most players who can't score, Cloud usually looks pretty boring. Post players can grab rebounds and block shots to get attention. For a perimeter player, it's mostly points or assists -- and assists are harder to come by. They are very dependent on the quality of your teammates. Cloud's ATO in her two WNBA seasons is a very good 2.57 on a respectable assist percentage of 27.1. To put that in perspective, here are the career Ast% for some veteran PGs: Bird 31.8, Vandersloot 30.7, DRob 30.3, Whalen 29.6, January 24.1%, Latta 21.7, J. Thomas, 21.7, Toliver 20.8%. So, Cloud gives you above average ball security with middle-of-the-pack distributing ability. She is also a big 6-0 PG, which is rare. For teams that do a lot of switching, that's attractive on the defensive end. I think Laimbeer would be happy to have her. Cloud's basic problem is that she can't shoot -- at least not from 2-point range. From 3Pt, she was a decent 33.8% last season and 30.8% for her career. That's consistent with her senior year in college when she was only 36.8% overall but a solid 35.1% from 3Pt. So, if you're an optimist, there's potential for Cloud to be a 3 and D player who also provides steady ballhandling. That's a lot to bring to the table if she can pull it off. Cloud just needs to improve her long-range shooting slightly and then establish consistency. Not a given, but certainly doable.

Yep, well put. Then consider the fact that she's a big PG on a team that has small SGs and her height becomes that extra bit valuable.

PostPosted: 02/26/17 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Yep, well put. Then consider the fact that she's a big PG on a team that has small SGs and her height becomes that extra bit valuable.

I suppose I should just quit while I'm ahead, but to be honest I haven't followed the WNBL this year except to watch Sami Whitcomb in a couple of games. I knew that Cloud got off to a bad start, but I didn't keep up after that. Apparently, she finished up just as badly -- although it looks like there might have been an injury involved. Nonetheless, she did have a very disappointing season. Cloud also struggled in her brief stint over in Turkey last year, so she's clearly not a plug-and-play kind of performer. Like a lot of players, it seems like system and role are a major determinant of success.

PostPosted: 02/26/17 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I suppose I should just quit while I'm ahead, but to be honest I haven't followed the WNBL this year except to watch Sami Whitcomb in a couple of games. I knew that Cloud got off to a bad start, but I didn't keep up after that. Apparently, she finished up just as badly -- although it looks like there might have been an injury involved. Nonetheless, she did have a very disappointing season. Cloud also struggled in her brief stint over in Turkey last year, so she's clearly not a plug-and-play kind of performer. Like a lot of players, it seems like system and role are a major determinant of success.

I've seen a bit - not a lot - of her and I wouldn't say she has played poorly.
She just wasn't an obvious impact player. Not a scorer. There's nothing inherently bad about a pass-first mentality for a PG of course. She seemed to slot into the team fine and still do all the little things. In theory that's all she should need to do because there are plenty of scorers on her team. I (mistakenly) assumed that down here she would stand out more, but I guess that's just not the nature of her game style.

PostPosted: 03/03/17 4:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Semi final game twos are underway, and so far it's not looking any better for the Fire on their home court.

<iframe width="675" height="375" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rhbMM5aFnqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lynx-Rangers will tip off in just under an hour

<iframe width="675" height="375" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/euXzkmck4Ww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 03/03/17 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One series finishes in a sweep, the other goes to a game 3 decider on Sunday afternoon thanks to a memorable game from a Lynx Ledge.

Townsville 61 (Murray 16p 6r, Batkovic 14p 17r, Garbin 13p 8r, Wilson 8p)
Sydney 76 (Tupaea 18p 10r, Mitchell 16p 7a, Snell 13p, Wilson 11p, Taylor 10p 8r, Hamson 4p 6r)
Boxscore

Perth 91 (Whitcomb 41p 9r, Hamblin 14p 5r, Lavey 10p, Mijovic 7p 8r 3b)
Dandenong 71 (Cumming 30p 7r, Blicavs 14p, Kennedy 10p 9r, Novosel 9p)
Boxscore

PostPosted: 03/03/17 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still puzzled as to why Burton starts and plays so many minutes? Luuc? Is she Really that good of a defender? To offset her horrific offense?

- Amanda Gorman
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/03/17 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm still puzzled as to why Burton starts and plays so many minutes? Luuc? Is she Really that good of a defender? To offset her horrific offense?

Ruth Hamblin has been our starting 5 pretty much all season and is still our primary option at that spot. I haven't heard the coach's take on it, but I'm guessing we have started Burton these last couple of games vs Dandenong just for matchup reasons. (she's quicker than Ruth) It's a reactive approach that personally I'm not too fond of.

PostPosted: 03/03/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
One series finishes in a sweep, the other goes to a game 3 decider on Sunday afternoon thanks to a memorable game from a Lynx Ledge.

Townsville 61 (Murray 16p 6r, Batkovic 14p 17r, Garbin 13p 8r, Wilson 8p)
Sydney 76 (Tupaea 18p 10r, Mitchell 16p 7a, Snell 13p, Wilson 11p, Taylor 10p 8r, Hamson 4p 6r)
Boxscore

Perth 91 (Whitcomb 41p 9r, Hamblin 14p 5r, Lavey 10p, Mijovic 7p 8r 3b)
Dandenong 71 (Cumming 30p 7r, Blicavs 14p, Kennedy 10p 9r, Novosel 9p)
Boxscore

Good to see Sami going off. Looking forward to see how she will do for the Storm Cool She is sneaky fast. Doesnt look that speedy but she has a pretty swift drive to the basket

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/04/17 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Semi Final game 3 - Perth Lynx @ Dandenong Rangers - tips off in 1 hour

Live Stats:
http://www.fibalivestats.com/u/wnbl/577309/

Live Stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d-n5uJvDvI

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7d-n5uJvDvI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 03/06/17 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In game 3, Dandenong got out to an early lead against Perth just as they had done in their previous home games. The Lynx challenged in the 2nd half, clawing a 20 point deficit back to 6 at the final break, but that was as close as they got, and as the desperation increased, the margin blew out against the tough & composed Rangers.

Dandenong 81 (Cumming 22p 7r 4a, Novosel 16p 5r, Kennedy 13p 8r, Clydesdale 11p, Todhunter 7p 7r, Malott 7p)
Perth 63 (Whitcomb 20p 5r, Hamblin 15p 5r, Mijovic 9p 7r, Lavey 8p 5a)
Boxscore

---
So, fittingly, we end up with the #1 and #2 teams of the regular season facing off in the best-of-3 grand final series.

PostPosted: 03/07/17 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBL 2016/17 All Star 5
Suzi Batkovic
Sami Whitcomb
Leilani Mitchell
Asia Taylor
Marianna Tolo

Other awards already announced:
Defensive Player of the Year: Marianna Tolo (Uni of Canberra Capitals)
Coach of the Year: Cheryl Chambers (Sydney Uni Flames)
Rookie of the Year: Monique Conti (Melbourne Boomers)

Last edited by Luuuc on 03/07/17 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/07/17 2:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Shocked Monique Conti: 1.47 ppg (35% fg% 14% 3pt), 0.68 rpg, 0.58 apg

I guess all the best young Australians are playing for US colleges. You can feel happy about Kristy Wallace and Alanna Smith.

PostPosted: 03/07/17 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc, what's the schedule for the finals?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/07/17 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Shocked Monique Conti: 1.47 ppg (35% fg% 14% 3pt), 0.68 rpg, 0.58 apg

I guess all the best young Australians are playing for US colleges. You can feel happy about Kristy Wallace and Alanna Smith.

Yes, very happy with both of them lately Smile
And yes - it's rare that rookies make a big impact in the WNBL. They tend to start off with very minor bench roles and get eased into the team. Monique could be a handy WNBL player in the future, but right now she's still 17 years old and not expected to carry any kind of load in this league.

toad455 wrote:
Luuuc, what's the schedule for the finals?

Grand Final Series
Game 1: Saturday March 11th, 7:00pm
Game 2: Friday March 17th, 7:30pm
Game 3 (if needed): Sunday March 19th, 2:00pm

(7pm AEDT = 3am Eastern USA)

PostPosted: 03/07/17 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dusted off the video editing software to put together some Sami Whitcomb highlights from this season. Please give it a look Smile

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lYIBT3nyadk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 03/08/17 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her release cant be more faster then that. Love it.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 03/08/17 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really like what I've seen of Whitcomb. I hope she works out with the Storm. I can see Seattle going small with Stewart at the 5 & Whitcomb at the 4 to play a more uptempo game.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/08/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I really like what I've seen of Whitcomb. I hope she works out with the Storm. I can see Seattle going small with Stewart at the 5 & Whitcomb at the 4 to play a more uptempo game.

She'd be a small 3 at WNBA level. Playing the 4 would be insane.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: