RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

TV ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5979



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/10/16 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The top five markets
1.Minneapolis (2.1)
2.Nashville (1.4)
3.Hartford-New Haven (1.3)
4.Louisville (1.0)
5.Charlotte (0.9)

Los Angeles delivered a 0.4 metered market rating


josephkramer44



Joined: 23 Aug 2016
Posts: 109



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/10/16 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the uptick from last year is good but nothing groundbreaking or earth shaking. Would it be worth it for people to broadcast more games on ABC rather than ESPN? Or are the ratings still not worth it? The attendance wasn't great unfortunately.




Last edited by josephkramer44 on 10/10/16 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5633



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/10/16 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
The top five markets
1.Minneapolis (2.1)
2.Nashville (1.4)
3.Hartford-New Haven (1.3)
4.Louisville (1.0)
5.Charlotte (0.9)

Los Angeles delivered a 0.4 metered market rating


Those numbers must be "percentage of sets" or "percentage of households". At least I hope there weren't over 3 times as many people watching the game in Nashville than in LA.


awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1607



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/11/16 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

10/08 Los Angeles vs Minnesota ABC 597,000

The NWSL final averaged 180,000 on FS1.

All of the other major broadcast networks were showing sports at the same time:
NBC, Red Bull Signature series: 602,000
FOX, NFL Early: 16,452,000
CBS, NFL Early: 15,212,000
CBS, NFL Late: 21,305,000

Basketball Wives: LA averaged 1,608,000 viewers.


josephkramer44



Joined: 23 Aug 2016
Posts: 109



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/11/16 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like business as usual for the WNBA. Interesting to see the numbers for the upcoming games on ESPN. Ticket sales appear to be slow though. Higher than for an average WNBA game but lower than the reported numbers from finals past. Interesting paradox. I did read somewhere though that the Lynx have recently raised prices. That might have something to do with it. I wonder what the crowds in LA will be like.


justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 6580
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/11/16 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

josephkramer44 wrote:
Seems like business as usual for the WNBA. Interesting to see the numbers for the upcoming games on ESPN. Ticket sales appear to be slow though. Higher than for an average WNBA game but lower than the reported numbers from finals past. Interesting paradox. I did read somewhere though that the Lynx have recently raised prices. That might have something to do with it. I wonder what the crowds in LA will be like.

The Vikings had a home game in their beautiful new stadium that played at the same time as the Lynx.



_________________
Covfefe when the walls fell.
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14692



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/12/16 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
josephkramer44 wrote:
Seems like business as usual for the WNBA. Interesting to see the numbers for the upcoming games on ESPN. Ticket sales appear to be slow though. Higher than for an average WNBA game but lower than the reported numbers from finals past. Interesting paradox. I did read somewhere though that the Lynx have recently raised prices. That might have something to do with it. I wonder what the crowds in LA will be like.

The Vikings had a home game in their beautiful new stadium that played at the same time as the Lynx.


and the Lynx still drew 12,000+ for both games. Game 3 at the Galen Center isn't looking good, but hopefully if Game 4 is at Staples, we'll see a big crowd.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55138
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/12/16 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

josephkramer44 wrote:
Seems like business as usual for the WNBA.


Actually, it was the most watched WNBA game ever on ABC and the most watched finals Game 1 since 1998



_________________
Come love come, the road lies low
The way is long and hard I know
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5633



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/12/16 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
josephkramer44 wrote:
Seems like business as usual for the WNBA.


Actually, it was the most watched WNBA game ever on ABC and the most watched finals Game 1 since 1998



That is contradicted in this article which says:

Quote:
ABC was home to the WNBA Conference Final Game 2 on Sunday, Aug. 31 – a 96-78 Phoenix victory over the Minnesota Lynx – ranking as the most-viewed WNBA postseason game on ABC since 2007 (828,000 viewers, 0.6 rating).


awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1607



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/12/16 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

10/11 Los Angeles vs Minnesota ESPN2 446,000

A solid enough number, but a closer look at the details shows some issues.

The game averaged .12% of the population from 18 to 49. TV does not think of all viewers in the same way. The USMNT friendly on ESPN averaged 554,000 viewers and .26% of the 18 to 49 group at the same time. The Spanish language broadcast of the same game on Univision Deportes (it may have also been shown on UniMas, which would not be included here) added 239,000 average viewers and .10% of the 18 to 49 group as well.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12103



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/13/16 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
10/11 Los Angeles vs Minnesota ESPN2 446,000

A solid enough number, but a closer look at the details shows some issues.

The game averaged .12% of the population from 18 to 49. TV does not think of all viewers in the same way. The USMNT friendly on ESPN averaged 554,000 viewers and .26% of the 18 to 49 group at the same time. The Spanish language broadcast of the same game on Univision Deportes (it may have also been shown on UniMas, which would not be included here) added 239,000 average viewers and .10% of the 18 to 49 group as well.



The.12% 18-49 equaled 156,000 viewers in that age bracket.
The Cubs-Giants drew 6.3M with 2.5M 18-49
WWE Smackdown drew 2.4M including 1M 18-49.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8493



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/13/16 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glass half-empty: numbers could be a lot bigger.

Glass half-full: 25 years ago, there was no women's professional basketball league to watch.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5633



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/13/16 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The whole idea of the rejiggered playoff format was to get the two best teams in the finals, rather than the Western Conference finals. I guess the results are mixed so far, but days and times broadcast, channels used, and competition has to have an effect each year.

Finals Game 1 2016 - 597,000
Finals Game 2 2016 - 446,000

Glass Half Full:
Finals Game 1 2015 - 571,000
Finals Game 1 2014 - 558,000
2013 Finals averaged - 344,000

Glass Half Empty:
Finals Game 2 2012 - 778,000
Eastern Conference Finals Game 2 2007 - 839,000
Western Conference Finals Game 3 1999 - 1,052,000


Need to watch how this year does versus this:

2014 WNBA Finals average viewership 659,000
2009 WNBA Finals average viewership 548,000
2012 WNBA Finals average viewership 477,000
2013 WNBA Finals average viewership 344,000
Finals Game 5 2009 - 656,000


josephkramer44



Joined: 23 Aug 2016
Posts: 109



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/15/16 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know why the stadium was so empty in LA? That didn't look like the Staples Center either? Way too small. I watched it on a treadmill so there was no sound.


miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 971



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/15/16 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

josephkramer44 wrote:
Anyone know why the stadium was so empty in LA? That didn't look like the Staples Center either? Way too small. I watched it on a treadmill so there was no sound.


It was at USC's Galen Center because Staples was unavailable to the Sparks.


awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1607



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/16 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

10/14 Minnesota vs Los Angeles ESPN2 363,000

For comparison, the college football games on ESPN that overlapped with the game averaged 1,881,000 and 1,474,000 viewers.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 4306
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/16 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
10/14 Minnesota vs Los Angeles ESPN2 363,000

For comparison, the college football games on ESPN that overlapped with the game averaged 1,881,000 and 1,474,000 viewers.


I thought the game was on ESPN?



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45091



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/16 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
10/14 Minnesota vs Los Angeles ESPN2 363,000

For comparison, the college football games on ESPN that overlapped with the game averaged 1,881,000 and 1,474,000 viewers.


I thought the game was on ESPN?


The 10/16 game was on ESPN


jmvcity



Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 84
Location: Big Apple


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/16 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They couldn't have picked two worst nights to have games. Friday nights usually have low TV viewership, and the 50+ year olds who are home aren't likely tuning into the game. And on Sunday, you can never compete with Sunday Night Football.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 4306
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/18/16 5:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
10/14 Minnesota vs Los Angeles ESPN2 363,000

For comparison, the college football games on ESPN that overlapped with the game averaged 1,881,000 and 1,474,000 viewers.


I thought the game was on ESPN?


The 10/16 game was on ESPN


What are the #'s for game 4?



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
dinkytown



Joined: 18 Sep 2011
Posts: 2230



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/18/16 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game 4 - 513,000


awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1607



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/18/16 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
Game 4 - 513,000


Boo, I got time-zoned today.

For comparison, at the same time, football averaged 13,595,000 viewers, baseball averaged 7,291,000 viewers and Basketball Wives averaged 1,822,000 viewers.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12103



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/19/16 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
Game 4 - 513,000


Boo, I got time-zoned today.

For comparison, at the same time, football averaged 13,595,000 viewers, baseball averaged 7,291,000 viewers and Basketball Wives averaged 1,822,000 viewers.


And then there's some non-sport cable competition:

Despicable Me on the Disney Channel - 1,835,000

and the surprise to me:

Alaska, The Last Frontier - Discovery Channel - 3,087,000
What is the fascination with Alaska, anyhow?


josephkramer44



Joined: 23 Aug 2016
Posts: 109



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/20/16 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reason for the Alaska shows is because it is so different and isolated from what most people are used to. I live in one of the wildest and least populated places in the country (around 16 hours from the nearest WNBA team) and as more and more people are living an urban lifestyle (dictated by economics and other things) an area chock full of unspoiled beauty and animals and just the plain feeling of sometimes being completely alone becomes appealing to many people. Just to give you a picture I have traveled ninety minutes down a 70 mph highway and not seen another person, I have had a badger try to get into my vehicle while stopped along a county road, deer have come up to me here and nuzzled me for food (still not a good idea to feed wild animals though), huskies in town sometimes start howling back at the wolves (frightening if you are outside) and the cemetery near my home is full of antelope year around feasting on the greenest grass they can find. The antelope here sometimes disrupt the marathon (nuck nuck nuck). Something different for a lot of people. Believe me I miss a lot of things about a major urban area as well (like getting decent kimchee and veggiemite). Food for thought and a bit off topic. But that is why people are craving shows about places like Alaska.

ArtBest23 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
Game 4 - 513,000


Boo, I got time-zoned today.

For comparison, at the same time, football averaged 13,595,000 viewers, baseball averaged 7,291,000 viewers and Basketball Wives averaged 1,822,000 viewers.


And then there's some non-sport cable competition:

Despicable Me on the Disney Channel - 1,835,000

and the surprise to me:

Alaska, The Last Frontier - Discovery Channel - 3,087,000
What is the fascination with Alaska, anyhow?


awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1607



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/21/16 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

10/20 Los Angeles vs Minnesota ESPN2 528,000

Over on ESPN, college football averaged 1,400,000 and 986,000. Baseball averaged 7,180,000 on FS1 at the same time and NFL averaged 14,202,000.

The whole season list:
5/14 Phoenix vs Minnesota ESPN 505,000
5/21 San Antonio vs Dallas NBATV 30,000
5/22 Chicago vs Atlanta NBATV 63,000
5/24 Los Angeles vs Chicago ESPN2 167,000
5/24 Atlanta vs New York NBATV 20,000
5/27 Atlanta vs Dallas NBATV 21,000
5/29 Indiana vs Atlanta NBATV 61,000
5/31 Minnesota vs New York ESPN2 246,000
6/7 New York vs Los Angeles ESPN2 168,000
6/7 Phoenix vs Minnesota NBATV 74,000
6/12 Seattle vs Indiana NBATV 82,000
6/14 Indiana vs Minnesota ESPN2 217,000
6/18 Dallas vs Phoenix NBATV 53,000
6/18 Atlanta vs Washington NBATV 50,000
6/19 New York vs Indiana NBATV 74,000
6/21 Phoenix vs Dallas ESPN2 230,000
6/21 Minnesota vs Los Angeles NBATV 88,000
6/24 Los Angeles vs Minnesota NBATV 99,000
6/25 Indiana vs Dallas NBATV 60,000
6/26 Phoenix vs New York NBATV 86,000
6/26 Connecticut vs Los Angeles NBATV 83,000
6/28 Dallas vs Los Angeles ESPN2 185,000
6/29 Connecticut vs Phoenix NBATV 55,000
6/30 Atlanta vs Los Angeles NBATV 50,000
7/5 Chicago vs Minnesota ESPN2 232,000
7/13 Los Angeles vs Chicago NBATV 29,000
7/17 Los Angeles vs Atlanta NBATV 55,000
7/17 Chicago vs Seattle NBATV 40,000
7/19 Los Angeles vs Indiana ESPN2 154,000
7/20 Connecticut vs Dallas NBATV 63,000
7/20 San Antonio vs Seattle NBATV 43,000
7/21 Indiana vs New York NBATV 9,000
8/26 New York vs San Antonio NBATV 36,000
8/26 Los Angeles vs Seattle NBATV 39,000
8/27 Washington vs Indiana NBATV 34,000
8/28 Connecticut vs Atlanta NBATV 37,000
8/28 Seattle vs Minnesota ESPN2 220,000
8/28 Los Angeles vs Phoenix ESPN2 233,000
8/30 Phoenix vs Indiana NBATV 47,000
9/1 New York vs Indiana NBATV 25,000
9/2 Seattle vs Chicago NBATV 40,000
9/3 Phoenix vs New York NBATV 37,000
9/4 Washington vs Dallas NBATV 53,000
9/4 Indiana vs Los Angeles NBATV 48,000
9/6 Minnesota vs Los Angeles ESPN2 214,000
9/11 New York vs Dallas NBATV 22,000
9/11 Los Angeles vs Seattle NBATV 47,000
9/13 Minnesota vs Chicago ESPN2 265,000
9/13 Phoenix vs Los Angeles NBATV 61,000
9/15 Washington vs Atlanta NBATV 54,000
9/16 Minnesota vs Indiana NBATV 77,000
9/16 San Antonio vs Los Angeles NBATV 47,000
9/17 Atlanta vs Minnesota NBATV 64,000
9/18 Dallas vs Indiana ESPN2 97,000
9/18 Chicago vs Seattle NBATV 47,000
9/24 Phoenix vs New York NBATV 81,000
9/25 Atlanta vs Chicago ESPN2 126,000
9/28 Phoenix vs Minnesota ESPN2 292,000
9/28 Chicago vs Los Angeles ESPN2 237,000
10/02 Los Angeles vs Chicago ESPN 178,000
10/02 Minnesota vs Phoenix ESPN 243,000
10/04 Los Angeles vs Chicago ESPN2 198,000
10/08 Los Angeles vs Minnesota ABC 597,000
10/11 Los Angeles vs Minnesota ESPN2 446,000
10/14 Minnesota vs Los Angeles ESPN2 363,000
10/16 Minnesota vs Los Angeles ESPN 513,000
10/20 Los Angeles vs Minnesota ESPN2 528,000


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5633



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/21/16 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:


10/08 Los Angeles vs Minnesota ABC 597,000
10/11 Los Angeles vs Minnesota ESPN2 446,000
10/14 Minnesota vs Los Angeles ESPN2 363,000
10/16 Minnesota vs Los Angeles ESPN 513,000
10/20 Los Angeles vs Minnesota ESPN2 528,000



2014 WNBA Finals average viewership 659,000
2009 WNBA Finals average viewership 548,000
2016 WNBA Finals average viewership 489,400
2012 WNBA Finals average viewership 477,000
2013 WNBA Finals average viewership 344,000


awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1607



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/17 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am certainly no fan of WNBA players in the NBA celebrity game, but a look at ratings makes it clear why we should not expect it to stop anytime soon:

NBA Celebrity All Star Game 2/17 ESPN 1,707,000

That was actually down quite a bit from a year before, but still a 1.11 million higher average than any actual WNBA game last year.

Oddly enough it also outdrew the rising stars game, which had actual NBA players trying reasonably hard compared to not so big name celebrities giving various levels of effort. It also rated significantly better in the 18-49 age group than among people 50+, which is surprisingly rare in the world of television.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin