RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

And its Official Time for the 2017 Hot Seat ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/21/17 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect it's getting warmer for Insell Jr. at Ole Miss. he's in his 4th year

I don't think the Jimmy Dykes Experience is gaining steam but it's only year three.

June Daughtery I don't know. Wassu is the Rutgers of the West Coast insofar as all the teams are so bad that where do you start to lean up that mess?

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/21/17 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
June Daughtery I don't know. Wassu is the Rutgers of the West Coast insofar as all the teams are so bad that where do you start to lean up that mess?

As iffy as Wazzu WBB has been under the current regime, they've actually never-- in the entire history of the program-- been better.

LitePal

PostPosted: 02/21/17 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nikki Fargas is having a better than expected season, perhaps due to the inclusion of DeMoss as assistant, but women's basketball is the biggest money loser for the University at 3.8M. Fargas' salary is 700K and wbb's revenues are higher than any other non-revenue sport than softball. But the expenses are nearly as much as baseball, which made a profit. Will that be enough to put her on the hot seat this season? Probably not, but since she only has another year left on her contract, so I'd expect LSU to go in another direction after her contract is up.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/833771899989667840

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/21/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
For those who are constantly criticizing Holly Warlick, I think this was a REALLY nice defense of her by one of her toughest rivals. http://www.local8now.com/content/sports/Texas-AM-head-coach-Gary-Blair-defends-Holly-Warlick-413537963.html

Of course her rivals would want her to stay. They know they have a pretty damn good chance of winning every time they face her.

She is in year 5. She has been to 3 Elite 8s and one Sweet 16, was SEC Reg season champ in 2 of the 4 years completed to date, and won the SEC Tourn in 2014. She is clearly an awful coach that has no idea what she is doing..... rofl.

2012–13 27–8 14–2 NCAA Elite Eight - Reg Season SEC Ch
2013–14 29–6 13–3 NCAA Sweet Sixteen - SEC Tourn Ch
2014–15 30–6 15–1 NCAA Elite Eight - Reg Season SEC Ch
2015–16 22–14 8–8 NCAA Elite Eight
2016–17 16–10 7–6

Too bad Elite Eights and Sweet Sixteens are NOT the standard of Lady Vol Basketball. They're expected to compete for championships. She's had superior talent throughout her five years and regularly loses to inferior teams. No competent offensive system, no ball movement, and no player development. And that's just scratching the surface. She's destroyed one of the university's proudest traditions. Lost 24 games (and counting) the past two seasons. The players and fans deserve better.

If that segment of fans isn't careful, they will find themselves in the same predicament the football program has been in for over a decade. Things aren't as bad as you make them out to be. I can only laugh when you make a comment like she is "clearly an awful coach." I have sat no the first row behind the coaches and players and I can attest to the fact that she isn't an awful coach. My opinion is that she needs to shake up her staff somewhat, but that can be done. They aren't great either, but to act as though that staff has no idea as to what they are doing is patently ridiculous.

What you said. She already shook it up some with the firing of Kyra Elzy (who I really hated to see go, but it was time) and the hiring of Sharonna Reaves to be the recruiting coordinator and assistant coach. I'm pretty sure she was instrumental in putting that amazing class together. Personally I think it's probably time for Dean to go, but it remains to be seen whether he will. He's been there so long I think he's rooted to the floor.

PostPosted: 02/21/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Nikki Fargas is having a better than expected season, perhaps due to the inclusion of DeMoss as assistant, but women's basketball is the biggest money loser for the University at 3.8M. Fargas' salary is 700K and wbb's revenues are higher than any other non-revenue sport than softball. But the expenses are nearly as much as baseball, which made a profit. Will that be enough to put her on the hot seat this season? Probably not, but since she only has another year left on her contract, so I'd expect LSU to go in another direction after her contract is up.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/833771899989667840

LSU gets so much revenue from football that I'm not convinced that money will be part of the issue with her. They also are in line to receive an additional $14-$17 million from the SEC Network this year. Having said that, recruiting and wins and losses will be an issue soon if not now. I think you are correct in that she is probably safe this year, but the natives are indeed getting restless. Personally, I believe that she is a good coach, but I have wondered if she has been distracted with a new baby and marriage etc. Something has definitely been off from her start to now.

LitePal

PostPosted: 02/21/17 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recruiting for LSU has gone up as well but remember when Alleva signed her extension, he also suggested that LSU wbb is not where it should be, either as a winning program or a spectator program. He also suggested it could make money, which we now see is pretty much impossible. He talked about better marketing but Fargas was a PR whiz at UCLA, brilliant at self promotion and hiding program deficiencies which allowed her the huge LSU contract. Some of the same methods are perhaps not going over as well there as in Hollywood. I think he and the fan base have sort of tired of Fargas and the concept of giving her another season has become stale. Attendance for 2015-16 went up...by 19 fans. (2858-2839)

http://www.wafb.com/story/28909909/alleva-lsu-needs-to-revitalize-womens-basketball

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 02/22/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Extension might ease some of Auburn hot seat talk ...

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/women/terri-williams-flournoy-s-contract-extended-through/article_91b73b5e-f918-11e6-95ea-2fab7160ceda.html

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/22/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:
Extension might ease some of Auburn hot seat talk ...

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/women/terri-williams-flournoy-s-contract-extended-through/article_91b73b5e-f918-11e6-95ea-2fab7160ceda.html

This was done last June. This doesn't mean that there won't be a dismissal and a payout.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/17 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are payouts really done for the women's game unless they really feel the need to release someone, like Yori for instance.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/22/17 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Are payouts really done for the women's game unless they really feel the need to release someone, like Yori for instance.

Actually yes, at least at the bigger schools. A contract is a contract.

PostPosted: 02/22/17 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Shades wrote:

The question I have is why would any coach keep a contract extension hush? Wouldn't any coach scream that from the rafters? Especially one as recruiting challenged as this staff has been. The only reason we know about it today was the result of a FOI request filed by several news outlets. Immediately after the Opelika/Auburn News ran the story, the athletic department issued a statement that "Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy and the women's basketball program will be evaluated at the conclusion of the season."

They are getting some serious blow back today and they deserve every ear full they are being subjected to. They spend money like its water. $600,000 is a nice salary. Its especially nice when you aren't earning it.

adamj95

PostPosted: 02/22/17 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about Marlene Stollings for the Gophers?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/22/17 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the heat is turning up for Maren Walseth at NDSU. Only her third year at Bisonville but record is 24-61 (10-33 in Summit League). Her predecessor had left things a steaming pile but the AD who hired Walseth is gone and the new guy might be looking at making a statement with his first new hire. So wouldn't be surprised if she was put out in the cold.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 02/23/17 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I suspect it's getting warmer for Insell Jr. at Ole Miss. he's in his 4th year

I don't think the Jimmy Dykes Experience is gaining steam but it's only year three.

Insell Jr seat will warm by next year if he does not perform better. We all have to remember, no matter how good of a recruiter you are, its still Ole Miss and not a easy place to recruit to.

Jimmy Dykes is figuring out the same thing. Not alot of big time players want to go to Arkansas.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/23/17 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Shades wrote:

The question I have is why would any coach keep a contract extension hush? Wouldn't any coach scream that from the rafters? Especially one as recruiting challenged as this staff has been. The only reason we know about it today was the result of a FOI request filed by several news outlets. Immediately after the Opelika/Auburn News ran the story, the athletic department issued a statement that "Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy and the women's basketball program will be evaluated at the conclusion of the season."

They are getting some serious blow back today and they deserve every ear full they are being subjected to. They spend money like its water. $600,000 is a nice salary. Its especially nice when you aren't earning it.

Pam Borton received a super-secret extension by outgoing Gopher AD Joel Maturi in 2012. It extended her contract but also made for a favorable buy-out clause for the university should they excercise this option.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/23/17 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Tina Martin at Delaware needs to retire. Definitely. After what I saw last night I think she is either incompetent or just burned out. That team was so poorly coached and poorly conditioned it was painful to watch. I realize she only had 8 players dressed so may have injury problems, but 5 of them played 29-37 minutes and a 6th played 25 minutes. They were all so gassed by the 3rd quarter they couldn't keep up. The other 2 barely played at all. And all of them were continually looking at the bench to see what they were supposed to do next.Crying or Very sad It made me wonder if the reason they did so well when Delle Donne was playing for them was that SHE was actually doing most of the coaching as well as carrying the team on her shoulders.

Since the JMU game, Martin has suspended Jr F Sade Chapman (who had 14 points against the Dukes) . They haven't won since the suspension but they played Drexel tough in an OT loss in Philadelphia their last outing .

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/23/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Tina Martin at Delaware needs to retire. Definitely. After what I saw last night I think she is either incompetent or just burned out. That team was so poorly coached and poorly conditioned it was painful to watch. I realize she only had 8 players dressed so may have injury problems, but 5 of them played 29-37 minutes and a 6th played 25 minutes. They were all so gassed by the 3rd quarter they couldn't keep up. The other 2 barely played at all. And all of them were continually looking at the bench to see what they were supposed to do next.Crying or Very sad It made me wonder if the reason they did so well when Delle Donne was playing for them was that SHE was actually doing most of the coaching as well as carrying the team on her shoulders.

Since the JMU game, Martin has suspended Jr F Sade Chapman (who had 14 points against the Dukes) . They haven't won since the suspension but they played Drexel tough in an OT loss in Philadelphia their last outing .

Drexel is not what it was last year. And my comment about the Blue Hens' conditioning stands. They didn't have Enabosi for the JMU game (flu) but I doubt she would have made that much difference. JMU ran their legs off.

PostPosted: 02/23/17 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

Insell Jr seat will warm by next year if he does not perform better. We all have to remember, no matter how good of a recruiter you are, its still Ole Miss and not a easy place to recruit to.

It's true, but you also have to consider that Mississippi State is ranked #2, so if there was ever a poor time to make that argument, this would be it...

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 02/23/17 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

It's true, but you also have to consider that Mississippi State is ranked #2, so if there was ever a poor time to make that argument, this would be it...

What was the score tonight and what recruits does Ole Miss have coming? Rest my case. Miss St lost to a bad depleted Kentucky team. Vic has it going there. Insell Jr does not. He will bolt first chance he has. He is a smart young man.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 03/02/17 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Auburn lost to a bad Georgia team for the second time in as many weeks. The mood in the stands is not good. Time will tell.

petrel

PostPosted: 03/03/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adele Harris, North Carolina-Wilmington. 41-111 in five years, so far. Never finished higher than fifth in-conference. Contract ends in 2018 but the AD might just decide, "hey, no one cares anyway" and let her go after next season.

Cheryl Sorenson, Portland. 13-77 after just three seasons. Normally you'd wait a little bit longer, but after finishing dead last for three years straight it might be time to pull the plug.

Ryan Weisenberg, Pepperdine. 28-94 over four seasons. Every night, Weisenberg goes to sleep and thanks fate that Portland is in the WCC. Has finished 10th, 9th, 9th, and 9th.

Kerry Cremeans, Denver. 42-111 over five seasons. Barring a sweet tournament run, this seat is pretty hot.

Cleve Wright, Miami (OH).
34-86 over four seasons. The move up from DII to DI has proven a bit more difficult that Wright imagined. He appears to be stuck at 8-10 wins per season.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/03/17 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Auburn lost to a bad Georgia team for the second time in as many weeks. The mood in the stands is not good. Time will tell.

That Georgia team isn't that bad. Joni Taylor is doing a pretty decent job for being only in her second season. She's brought in some good players. Caliya Robinson is killer!

PostPosted: 03/03/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

That Georgia team isn't that bad. Joni Taylor is doing a pretty decent job for being only in her second season. She's brought in some good players. Caliya Robinson is killer!

They will be good in the years to come, especially with the recruiting class she has coming in, but they were downright atrocious at times this year. They finished 16-15 and didn't beat a ranked opponent all year.

In addition to that, Georgia is one of Auburn's primary rivals. Auburn's campus is approx 30 miles from the Georgia state line and the two have a long history.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/03/17 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

They will be good in the years to come, especially with the recruiting class she has coming in, but they were downright atrocious at times this year. They finished 16-15 and didn't beat a ranked opponent all year.

In addition to that, Georgia is one of Auburn's primary rivals. Auburn's campus is approx 30 miles from the Georgia state line and the two have a long history.

You talk like I didn't know that. I lived 40 miles from Knoxville for 35 years and have been a Lady Vols fan since 1975. I think I know my SEC. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 03/03/17 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

I have to agree Georgia was GODAWFUL this year. We lost to Samford at home. The goal for this team was to keep the streak of .500 or better seasons alive. That was done, so it was a successful season, but no one would confuse this Georgia team with a bubble team. There are a couple of nice players on the team, but the point guard position is a disaster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: