RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who will be committee's #1 seeds tomorrow?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/20/17 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I read the same sorts of posts now about Maryland. I have no attachment to the team but I've watched them play several times and would pick them in an even bet on a neutral court over practically every one seed candidate in the country. And if Miss St were to play the same teams I would bet against them every time.

That's the bottom line. You think your "expert" guessing is more valuable than actual games won against good opponents.

You should publish your own rankings. The Linkster "Because I Say So" Rankings.

Thankfully the committee relies on actual results instead of on total bullshit.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/20/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Yeah, we know. You loooooooove margin of victory. Well it's really easy to inflate your MOV by playing a whole bunch of pathetic non-competitive opponents. Speaking of self-fulfilling.

You forget Art, that my team is No 1 in every poll and rating. I have no bias. I have no great love for MOV but the NCAA's RPI absolutely hates it. They are so afraid of teams running up the score that they count a 1 point win in triple OT as being just as good as a 25 point blowout. In a statistical sense giving all the credit to the winner doesn't factor in the 50/50 calls and games that are decided by whether a ball rims out or not. Statistically there is little difference between a 1 pt win and a 1 pt loss. Masssey understands statistical confidence levels. If a team beats another by one it is far more likely that they would win a rematch while a one point loss is little different froma one point win statistically speaking. And Massey goes further in that they over weight a win over an elite level team. As an example they say that 2 wins over top ten teams and 2 losses to 90-100 teams is given more credit that going 2-2 aginst teams 45-55.

Of course the fact that the Irish rank higher in RPI than in either Sagarin or Massey, to say nothing about the AP & Coaches polls, has nothing to do with your love affair with RPI. Or does it? Rolling Eyes

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/20/17 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Yeah, Maryland has just one single Top 25 (RPI) win on its resume. One. Over #13, Louisville. I just don't know how the committee can justify giving that team a 1-seed.

They did beat ASU.

ASU is 6th in the Pac-12. There are 7 other teams in the nation who also have beaten ASU at least once.

I should also point out that ASU has only a .500 record in the Pac-12 conference. So anyone pointing to a victory over the Devils as a marquee win befitting a 1-seed resume is paying the rest of the Pac-12 one heck of a compliment. So... thanks, I guess?

Last edited by patsweetpat on 02/20/17 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 02/20/17 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

I read the same sorts of posts now about Maryland. I have no attachment to the team but I've watched them play several times and would pick them in an even bet on a neutral court over practically every one seed candidate in the country. And if Miss St were to play the same teams I would bet against them every time.

That's the bottom line. You think your "expert" guessing is more valuable than actual games won against good opponents.

You should publish your own rankings. The Linkster "Because I Say So" Rankings.

Thankfully the committee relies on actual results instead of on total bullshit.

There is no need to sink to ridicule.

I thought I made it clear that my opinion is based on my eyeball opinion and that in part my dislike of RPI stems from my UConn fandom. But I'm hardly out on a limb by myself. My opinion is shared by a couple of respected ratings services.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/20/17 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Of course the fact that the Irish rank higher in RPI than in either Sagarin or Massey, to say nothing about the AP & Coaches polls, has nothing to do with your love affair with RPI. Or does it? Rolling Eyes

They reject MOV because especially in basketball it is completely meaningless and misleading because it doesn't take into account pace or substitution philosophy. Whether you win by 30 or 15 is typically far more a matter of playing style and choice than anything to do with relative quality.

Which is why the men's committee is looking at pace and metrics based systems like Pomeroy and not at MOV systems like Sagarin.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/20/17 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

They reject MOV because especially in basketball it is completely meaningless and misleading because it doesn't take into account pace or substitution philosophy. Whether you win by 30 or 15 is typically far more a matter of playing style and choice than anything to do with relative quality.

Which is why the men's committee is looking at pace and metrics based systems like Pomeroy and not at MOV systems like Sagarin.

You are right about the difference between 15 and 30 pt wins but there is a huge difference between a 15 point win and a 1 pt win in double OT

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/20/17 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

You are right about the difference between 15 and 30 pt wins but there is a huge difference between a 15 point win and a 1 pt win in double OT

You favorite systems don't care about ten overtimes. Winning by ten in three OT is better than a game won by 4 points in regulation only because you put in the subs and the opponent that trailed by double digits for three quarters scored the last ten points of the game in the last 50 seconds.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/20/17 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 02/20/17 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Attention: I know ASU sucks.

When I read here that Maryland has beaten only 1 T25 RPI team, I checked their schedule and saw that they beat ASU. Maybe ASU wasn't a T25 (RPI) team back on Nov 25th, but they weren't far off.

But all that is beside the point, which is that while Maryland hasn't played anyone it doesn't diminish how good they are.

Even if they lose tonight at Oh St they still make my list of 9 legit FF teams.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So how far does OSU drop for beating this shitty Terp team? Wink

PostPosted: 02/20/17 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought I heard them say during the Maryland/OSU game that Stanford won't be able to host if they get a Top 16 seed. Did anyone else catch that?

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 02/20/17 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
I thought I heard them say during the Maryland/OSU game that Stanford won't be able to host if they get a Top 16 seed. Did anyone else catch that?

Yes the PAC 12 gymnastics tournament is there

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/20/17 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
dinkytown wrote:

I hate hearing stuff like this, it happened to Michigan State last year. If Stanford gets a top 4 seed why can't they use Cal's gym since its nearby and they can still get their fans there for a homecourt advantage?

CompSci87

PostPosted: 02/20/17 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:
dinkytown wrote:

I hate hearing stuff like this, it happened to Michigan State last year. If Stanford gets a top 4 seed why can't they use Cal's gym since its nearby and they can still get their fans there for a homecourt advantage?

I heard that Stanford inquired about a couple of other nearby possibilities (closer than Cal), but they were booked too.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/20/17 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They could use Roble Gym. Wink Razz where we used to have to play a lot of our games in the good ol days. It could probably hold 50 fans...though their feet would be on the court.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/20/17 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nm

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 02/21/17 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I have to give the selection committee credit for something...

ESPN is now citing the selection committee instead of always going to Joe Lunardi, the most useless person on their staff.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/21/17 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:

ESPN is now citing the selection committee instead of always going to Joe Lunardi, the most useless person on their staff.

Do you mean Charlie Creme? They still manage to refer to him.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/21/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Margin of victory is an interesting statistic, and it does reveal something about a team ... the question is how much, and how it should be evaluated.

So here's this: The high school team I'm assisting on this year has won or shared the league title for five straight seasons and its average margin of victory in league is 30+ points.

That's significant, I think ...

And here's this: A single game has a two-point differential with two minutes left. The losing team begins to foul, and bad things happen, so the final result is a 10-point victory.

In this case, MOV doesn't really tell us much about the competitiveness of the game.

But I do think, over a full season, that MOV delivers some valuable information. Though some close games become routs, some routs become close -- and statistical studies indicate that MOV in the NBA is very predictive of postseason success.

The issues, though, arise if MOV is an acknowledged metric. Now coaches have to run up the score (because you never know); now the starters play more minutes; now scheduling weak teams becomes even more important.

In the MaxPreps high school computer rankings (full disclosure: I do the national high school rankings for MaxPreps), MOV is part of the formula, which is in my experience as a coach very accurate if all scores are entered. Without the MOV aspect, it would reward wins way too much and not reflect the reality on the floor.

On balance, I'd rather have it in than out ... maybe they can use it and just not tell anyone?

PostPosted: 02/21/17 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

statistical studies indicate that MOV in the NBA is very predictive of postseason success.

Irrelevant to the usefulness of MOV for college ball.

In the NBA you do not have the wide variation in pace in the NBA that you have in college where on the men's side you have Kentucky and Auburn at 78 possessions per game, and UVA and St. Mary's with 62. That's a 26% range (and that's only counting the major schools. The full range is over 40%). In the NBA the range from highest to lowest is only 10%. (I don't have any women's pace stats.)

In the NBA you do not have remotely the same team-to-team differences in substitution patterns and questions of clearing the bench, playing the subs or keeping in the starters to the bitter end. The shorter 24 second clock largely precludes sitting on the ball and burning clock with a lead (and also eliminates much of the difference in pace from team to team).

In the NBA you play 81 games among only 30 teams, and play the same teams multiple times. And you don't have the total lack of overlap in schedule that you find in college.

The statistical home court impact on MOV is far narrower in the NBA than in college.

The range of avg scoring margins in the NBA is actually very narrow. Only Golden State averages in double figures, and they're only 12.8. All last season, only San Antonio was in double figures at 10.5. In WCBB, Baylor is averaging 35, and there are 51 teams with double digit MOV averages.

So it's not surprising that there is some statistical validity to the use of MOV in the NBA, because styles are far far more similar than in college, but the foundation for that use is completely absent at the college level.

You aren't rewarding superior teams. You're rewarding teams that play at a high pace, play their stars to the end, and don't sit on the ball with a lead. If those are things that define "better" to you, then I guess using MOV would produce a list of "better" teams.

By the way, I think it would be great if we had someone doing ratings for WCBB based on pace and efficiency metrics like Pomeroy, but we don't.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/21/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Margin of victory is an interesting statistic, and it does reveal something about a team ... the question is how much, and how it should be evaluated.

So here's this: The high school team I'm assisting on this year has won or shared the league title for five straight seasons and its average margin of victory in league is 30+ points.

That's significant, I think ...

And here's this: A single game has a two-point differential with two minutes left. The losing team begins to foul, and bad things happen, so the final result is a 10-point victory.

In this case, MOV doesn't really tell us much about the competitiveness of the game.

But I do think, over a full season, that MOV delivers some valuable information. Though some close games become routs, some routs become close -- and statistical studies indicate that MOV in the NBA is very predictive of postseason success.

The issues, though, arise if MOV is an acknowledged metric. Now coaches have to run up the score (because you never know); now the starters play more minutes; now scheduling weak teams becomes even more important.

In the MaxPreps high school computer rankings (full disclosure: I do the national high school rankings for MaxPreps), MOV is part of the formula, which is in my experience as a coach very accurate if all scores are entered. Without the MOV aspect, it would reward wins way too much and not reflect the reality on the floor.

On balance, I'd rather have it in than out ... maybe they can use it and just not tell anyone?

In the last week I read an article about the NCAA exploring the use of advanced metrics instead of RPI. One point made was that it's possible to track the scores of games from start to finish, avoiding the end game situations that can distort how competitively a game was played. Another solution to running up scores could be diminishing the value of MOV's above some level, so that a 15 point win would be much better than a 2 point win but that a 30 point win would not be much better if at all from a 15 pint win.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/21/17 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think MOV against top 30 teams, or somewhere around there, could be a useful statistic to fall back on, but not to use as a primary factor. And perhaps included in the metric would be score with 2 minutes left in game to minimize end of game distortions. MOV against sub 100 teams is totally meaningless IMO. My guess is that they actually do use it in some cases when it's hard to make other distinctions.

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/21/17 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IF this is the bracket that the committee comes out with next month and IF the tourney plays out this way, here are the regional match-ups:

Uconn vs OK and OrSU vs FSU
MSST vs KY and MD vs Stanford
BU vs L'ville and TX vs Duke
ND vs. UCLA and SC vs WA

linkster

PostPosted: 02/21/17 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
IF this is the bracket that the committee comes out with next month and IF the tourney plays out this way, here are the regional match-ups:

Uconn vs OK and OrSU vs FSU
MSST vs KY and MD vs Stanford
BU vs L'ville and TX vs Duke
ND vs. UCLA and SC vs WA

These are, I believe, strict S curve seedings. It was 2 years ago that the NCAA decided that top 16 teams from the same conference would be keep in separate regions if possible. If the above teams are the top 16 then it is possible.

ACC - 4
P12 - 4
SEC - 3
B12 - 3
B1G - 1
AAC - 1

Using a combination of Geography and keeping conference members separated I came up with this:

Bridgeport- UConn, Or. St, Fl St, Okl

Lexington- N Dame, Mary., Stanford, Kentucky

Okl City - Baylor, S Car, Duke, UCLA

Stockton - Miss St, Texas, Wash., Louis.

I initially had MSSt in Lexington and ND in Stockton using geography, but it meant having 2 SEC teams in Lexington and 2 ACC teams in Stckton. Swapping ND and MSSt solved that. Another solution would be to make Kentucky a 5 seed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: