RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/19/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everyone assumes Schimmel is gone, but what if she shows up in shape? When the Liberty traded for her last year, a lot of people on this board said it was really a move for next season. Well, "next season" is here. Shoni might be the second most talented offensive player on this team if you include passing ability. Once you get Schimmel to play just serviceable defense, then she's back in the mix. If Shoni really has no chance of making the team, then NY should cut her now to allow her to look for a better situation.

PostPosted: 02/19/17 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

One of the crucial questions for the Liberty in 2017: will our young players improve? Last season neither Boyd nor Stokes improved as much as I'd hoped. Perhaps one or both will show more improvement this season. Meanwhile, I'm thinking about Allen and Zahui B. If even one of them can become a consistent scorer--a possibility raised earlier about Zahui B--that will help the team a lot.

I agree. New York has six players entering their third or fourth season: Allen, Boyd, Hartley, Schimmel, Stokes and Zahui B. We just need one of them to step up and be a solid starter. Add that to a healthy Prince returning to some semblance of her old self, and I think we have enough improvement to be optimistic.

1. Schimmel's gone
2. I think we need two players to step up. One definitely being Boyd and the other being either Stokes or Zahui B. I'll say Zahui B. as I think her offensive potential is much higher than Stokes.
3. Allen just needs to show us more & up her defense if she's going to be playing 20 mpg at SF.
4. Hartley's the only player on that list that is new to Laimbeer's system. We'll see what role she plays, if any, for the Liberty.

Has Shoni Schimmel been waived by the Liberty? (I haven't seen this.) If not, then presenting this as a fact is less than helpful. Could Schimmel be cut if all the other guards are still on the roster by Opening Night? Yes. Is it a certainty that it'll work out this way? No.

PostPosted: 02/19/17 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I like Zahui's upside,but I see her getting traded before the season starts.Ny didn't acquire Vaughn to sit her on the bench:

Charles:32 mpg
Stokes:25 mpg
Vaughn:20 mpg

This leaves 3 minutes at the pf/c position.There's a good chance Zahui gets traded to:

Connecticut for Stricklen & a future 1st rd pick

Chicago for Young & the #9 pick....or...... Young & Quigley(ny would then trade Prince,Rodgers or Wright)

San Antonio for M.Currie & the #5 pick

I disagree with this on two counts. First, I'm not convinced that Bill Laimbeer acquired Kia Vaughn to be the starting center. But even if he did, that could mean being a 'starter" in the same somewhat misleading way that Carolyn Swords was a starter. Swords averaged only 17.5 minutes per game last season. The same could happen for Vaughn.

Second, I believe Amanda Zahui B has potential to be an important player. And I suspect that Bill Laimbeer feels the same way. Could she be traded? Yes. Probably at least 2/3 of the current roster could be traded if the deal is right. But I don't see Laimbeer trading Zahui B unless it's a deal that will clearly upgrade the roster, ideally at SF. And that kind of deal, as has been discussed here for weeks, won't be all that easy to come by.

PostPosted: 02/19/17 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can discount all three of those proposed trades anyway. Neither Stricklen nor Quigley fit the Laimbeer prototype for different reasons. Stricklen is not a passer, penetrator or a factor in the paint. Quigley is too slight. And they're not trading a promising post player for Currie even if a draft pick is included, in my opinion.

Zahui is better than Vaughn right now, and this is not even including her developmental potential. She had her best game last year as a starter, and the more she attempts to score, the more of a factor she becomes in the flow of the game. Kia's acquisition makes a whole lot more sense if you consider her as a sub for Tina and occasional sub at center than if you consider her a starter. Swords set a certain tone early in games with pick and rolls to the basket as well as a degree of physicality and rim protection on defense. Kia has nice versatility, but she does not set the physical tone that Zahui does...and I'd wager that tone is something that Laimbeer will consider extremely valuable. In turn, if the Libs have an injury to a post player, Vaughn provides far more versatility than Swords, and you could essentially use her inside or out depending on who she is paired with. I firmly believe Vaughn was acquired for the express purpose of having Zahui start and to bring an added degree of versatility off the bench. This would give more offense at the start of games, especially if Sugar comes off the bench.

And since it appears that Sugar has been re-signed for the specific purpose of being in a Liberty uniform, that means the likelihood of trading for a starting SF appears slim. To add offense, it's completely logical to believe that you'd go with a post player like Zahui who averaged nearly a point every two minutes last year while improving her face-up game this season overseas. And she will have the benefit of a full off season and training camp with the team, something she didn't have last year.

PostPosted: 02/19/17 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
You can discount all three of those proposed trades anyway. Neither Stricklen nor Quigley fit the Laimbeer prototype for different reasons. Stricklen is not a passer, penetrator or a factor in the paint. Quigley is too slight. And they're not trading a promising post player for Currie even if a draft pick is included, in my opinion.

Zahui is better than Vaughn right now, and this is not even including her developmental potential. She had her best game last year as a starter, and the more she attempts to score, the more of a factor she becomes in the flow of the game. Kia's acquisition makes a whole lot more sense if you consider her as a sub for Tina and occasional sub at center than if you consider her a starter. Swords set a certain tone early in games with pick and rolls to the basket as well as a degree of physicality and rim protection on defense. Kia has nice versatility, but she does not set the physical tone that Zahui does...and I'd wager that tone is something that Laimbeer will consider extremely valuable. In turn, if the Libs have an injury to a post player, Vaughn provides far more versatility than Swords, and you could essentially use her inside or out depending on who she is paired with. I firmly believe Vaughn was acquired for the express purpose of having Zahui start and to bring an added degree of versatility off the bench. This would give more offense at the start of games, especially if Sugar comes off the bench.

I fully agree. It's nice to have Kia Vaughn on the team, but getting her hardly means there's no room for Amanda Zahui B. Of the two, I definitely view Zahui B as the more important player for the Liberty.

PostPosted: 02/19/17 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll put my money on Vaughn being the starting center.Laimbeer is a defensive first coach.Kia is the better,more disciplined defender in my opinion.Zahui b. was the most foul-prone center in the wnba last season(2.1 fouls in 11.3 minutes).Zahui also had a very poor asst/to ratio(12a/37t)....I believe Bill will go with the steady veteran over the young upstart.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/19/17 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just catching up on today's chat

No Thanks to all of those trades

Most teams that use 12 roster spots have a minimum of four post players, Vaughn replacing Swords won't have any negative affect on Stokes or Zahu B. minutes. I won't be surprised to see Charles play a few less minutes a night and Zahui B play a few more compared to last season. I agree that Zahui B. and Allen progressing might be our best bet for taking another step forward in our search for a championship, combined with staying healthy all season and the Prince/Rodgers back-court combo working but I digress. Back to the post rotation, I still think Burdick has a good chance to get the 12th spot as a player who can play some deep bench minutes at the 3 and the 4.

OTOH I think if the four post rotation seems like enough then one of Schimmel, Barbee and #14 can still make it onto the team. And this is before any trades that might involve one of our other guards. Hartley is the new kid in town so while I feel pretty confident she will make it, she'll still have to prove herself in camp as well.

I have said it before so I will say it again, I would love for Schimmel to show up in shape and prove she has improved from liability to mediocre on defense because even in her limited minutes last year she was one of the best shooters and passers we had. I can still see her making it as the 11th or 12th player and coming in and making a few electric plays to get the Liberty back on track if the starters are struggling.

For now I still think it is this

Prince/Boyd/Hartley
Rodgers/Wright
Zellous/Allen
Charles/Zahui B/Burdick
Vaughn/Stokes (I want Stokes to start but I'll defer to the vet for now)

but I won't be too shocked if it is this

Prince/Boyd/Hartley
Rodgers/Scimmel
Wright/Zellous/Allen
Charles/Zahui B
Vaughn/Stokes

A little on the small side but solves the we're not completely confident in Prince or Rodgers running the point, so Wright runs the point on offense and guards the other teams SF when on the floor with the starters.

And I also won't be too shocked if Wright and or Zellous maybe packaged with the #14 pick is traded for something which will also open a possible spot for Shoni

Last edited by J-Spoon on 02/19/17 10:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/19/17 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I'll put my money on Vaughn being the starting center.Laimbeer is a defensive first coach.Kia is the better,more disciplined defender in my opinion.Zahui b. was the most foul-prone center in the wnba last season(2.1 fouls in 11.3 minutes).Zahui also had a very poor asst/to ratio(12a/37t)....I believe Bill will go with the steady veteran over the young upstart.

You might be right about Kia Vaughn being the starting center. For me, that issue is trivial. What's important is who plays lots of minutes and who plays in the fourth quarter. Swords was the starter last season, played only 17.5 minutes per game in the regular season, and was rarely out there in the fourth quarter.

I believe that Zahui B will play substantially more than Vaughn. And your proposal (on page 10 of this discussion) to trade Zahui B and just go with three post players for two positions will never happen. What if someone gets hurt? What if someone gets into foul trouble? Who would back up Charles, Vaughn, and Stokes? Some player far inferior to Zahui B? I don't see that happening.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It might sound like i'm contradicting myself,but If I were the liberty hc/gm I wouldn't trade Zahui b.I'd start Stokes,and make Zahui the sixth woman.If Zahui plays poorly,Vaughn comes in as the 4th post.I'd give Allen the opportunity to sink or swim as the starting sf.I believe Rebecca has the size & shooting skills to fill the void at sf.However,based on Bill's rationing of the minutes last season,Zahui b & Allen specifically,I have the impression that Bill is open to trading both players in the right deal.I'm sure Vaughn is getting max money.I don't think you trade for a max player to play them 10-15 minutes per game.Zahui b has very good upside.It's totally understandable why liberty fans have their reservations about parting ways with her in any trade.But if the liberty have any aspirations of competing for a championship,they'll need to fill the void at the SF.At this point in her career I don't believe Zahui is going to get you an all-star type of player in return on the trade market.

Some lib fans are really undervaluiing what new york would get back in all three of my propsoed trades.Any future championship run is going to run through minnesota,Phoenix and maybe Atlanta.You're going to need a sf with some size to matchup with Moore/Bonner/Mccoughtry.Not saying that any of these players will stop the aforementioned all-stars,but they're better than what the liberty have at this moment from a defensive standpoint.Plus the liberty would be getting a 1st rd pick/2nd player as part of the deal.

The liberty have a huge hole at the SF position.If you think you're going to win a championship with Zellous/Wright playing sf,you are crazy.

Last edited by zune69 on 02/20/17 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a mistake to look at last year's minutes and assume that's how players will be used this season. With young players, there's an expected progression and the minutes will increase commensurate with their improvement. Remember, Zahui B. was acquired at the end of training camp and Allen joined at midseason. That put both players at a disadvantage from the start. Coaches tend to be conservative, and when push comes to shove they use veterans. However, if this team wants to win a championship, they have to develop some quality players on their own. It's very hard to build a team by only acquiring stars via trade and free agency. This is a small league with only eleven trading partners and no one is anxious to send you their best players. Nor is it common to let good players walk away for free. Consequently, you need to find some high-ceiling young talent and try to turn them into starters yourself. To me, Allen and Zahui B are the two most promising young players on the Liberty. I think the team would be crazy to trade them for a 30-year old mediocrity like Tamera Young or a chronic underachiever like Shekinna Strickland. Monique Currie could help in the short-term, but her established market value at the beginning of last year was a second round pick. I don't think she necessarily raised her stock during the season and now she's a year older.

I'm not convinced that the Liberty targeted Vaughn in that trade. While she and Swords are very different players, they're roughly equal in terms of production and usefulness. In fact, their PERs are almost identical: 13.3 for Vaughn and 13.2 for Swords. So if Vaughn and Swords are essentially a wash, that means the Liberty got Hartley for free. Bria gives them an option that on her good days is more complete than the players they already had: she shoots better than Boyd, is a much more reliable defender than Schimmel, and has the speed to push the ball much faster than Wright. Hartley also gives New York better long-range shooting and a player who can create her own shot. I'm not saying that Hartley will perform well every night, but she is certainly an option worth having -- especially if you get her for free.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay Liberty fans....we'll see how this plays out during the season.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the acquisition of Hartley I agree with Root for a few reasons, thrown in with the fact that I'd imagine they envision more minutes for Zahui this year. I do think that Hartley's significance in the trade is critical as well. If you guys remember, there were times when the team's only PGs were Boyd and Zellous. Part of that was due to Shoni's concussion, but how effective would she have been even if she had played? Hartley gives depth at both backcourt positions if needed, and she's a functional three point shooter. And she may push Boyd for minutes, which will hopefully bring out the best in Boyd this season. And Hartley is one of those solid players late in games. You can never have enough of those.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I might sound like i'm contradicting myself,but If I were the liberty hc/gm I wouldn't trade Zahui b.I'd start Stokes,and make Zahui the sixth woman.If Zahui plays poorly,Vaughn comes in as the 4th post.I'd give Allen the opportunity to sink or swim as the starting sf.I believe Rebecca has the size & shooting skills to fill the void at sf.However,based on Bill's rationing of the minutes last season,Zahui b & Allen specifically,I have the impression that Bill is open to trading both players in the right deal.I'm sure Vaughn is getting max money.I don't think you trade for a max player to play them 10-15 minutes per game.Zahui b has very good upside.It's totally understandable why liberty fans have their reservations about parting ways with her in any trade.But if the liberty have any aspirations of competing for a championship,they'll need to fill the void at the SF.At this point in her career I don't believe Zahui is going to get you an all-star type of player in return on the trade market.

Some lib fans are really undervaluiing what new york would get back in all three of my propsoed trades.Any future championship run is going to run through minnesota,Phoenix and maybe Atlanta.You're going to need a sf with some size to matchup with Moore/Bonner/Mccoughtry.Not saying that any of these players will stop the aforementioned all-stars,but they're better than what the liberty have at this moment from a defensive standpoint.Plus the liberty would be getting a 1st rd pick/2nd player as part of the deal.

The liberty have a huge hole at the SF position.If you think you're going to win a championship with Zellous/Wright playing sf,you are crazy.

Allen is likely the starting small forward. I'd love to upgrade. I don't see any of the 3 small forwards you named being an upgrade, however, given Allen's youth, three point shooting and developmental potential.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Update on Schimmel is..well she's gone in cognito. Hasn't been seen on social media, hasn't been following her girlfriend around, etc. This could work either way..either she's working on one of the best comebacks of all time or she's given up and just living life.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Okay Liberty fans....we'll see how this plays out during the season.

I'm not against a trade, but after discussing it much of the off season I've come to the conclusion that we are not going to get the payers I would want (Christmas, Bonner, A. Thomas) and I'm not willing to give up Zahui B, Stokes or Rodgers for the players I think we will get in return. So I guess I've sort of resigned myself to doing the best with what we've got. We do still have a lot of room for internal improvement.

zune69

PostPosted: 02/20/17 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Allen is likely the starting small forward. I'd love to upgrade. I don't see any of the 3 small forwards you named being an upgrade, however, given Allen's youth, three point shooting and developmental potential.

I would do the bolded before making any trades,and see how things play out.I'd also make Zahui the 6th woman and play her 18-24 minutes per game.I believe Zahui b is a legit 10-15 ppg scorer if given the opportunity.

J-Spoon wrote:

I'm not against a trade, but after discussing it much of the off season I've come to the conclusion that we are not going to get the payers I would want (Christmas, Bonner, A. Thomas) and I'm not willing to give up Zahui B, Stokes or Rodgers for the players I think we will get in return. So I guess I've sort of resigned myself to doing the best with what we've got. We do still have a lot of room for internal improvement.

I agree,especially with the bolded

stever

PostPosted: 02/20/17 2:45 pm    ::: Czech Republic lifted by the addition of Vaughn Reply Reply with quote

http://www.fiba.com/eurobasketwomen/2017/news/-czech-republic-lifted-by-the-addition-of-vaughn

Quote:
PRAGUE (FIBA EuroBasket Women 2017) – Czech Republic have been handed a major boost for EuroBasket Women 2017 after the host nation revealed Kia Vaughn will suit up as their naturalized player at the event.

fanaticka

PostPosted: 02/20/17 3:15 pm    ::: Re: Czech Republic lifted by the addition of Vaughn Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
http://www.fiba.com/eurobasketwomen/2017/news/-czech-republic-lifted-by-the-addition-of-vaughn

Quote:
PRAGUE (FIBA EuroBasket Women 2017) – Czech Republic have been handed a major boost for EuroBasket Women 2017 after the host nation revealed Kia Vaughn will suit up as their naturalized player at the event.

Yay! Finally! I like it Smile

Shades

PostPosted: 02/20/17 3:31 pm    ::: Re: Czech Republic lifted by the addition of Vaughn Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

Quote:

Thibault probably knew this was coming. Did Thomas? Surprised

How much prep time will Vaughn need with her national team?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/20/17 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And when is it? Will she miss training camp and regular season time?

PostPosted: 02/20/17 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

June 16-25:
http://www.fiba.com/eurobasketwomen/2017/fullschedule

toad455

PostPosted: 02/20/17 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

June 16-25:
http://www.fiba.com/eurobasketwomen/2017/fullschedule

So we can now assume Stokes will be the starting center and that the Liberty will need a fifth post on their roster. Bulgak? Vicki Baugh? dos Santos?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/20/17 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Burdick can play some PF as well as SF, I think this may have gotten her onto the opening day roster unless we trade for a post.

I wouldn't mind giving Bulgak another look.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/20/17 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I prefer Zahui B. at PF, so another center would be best.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
cappa23MVP

PostPosted: 02/21/17 3:47 am    ::: Re: Czech Republic lifted by the addition of Vaughn Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
stever wrote:

Quote:

Thibault probably knew this was coming. Did Thomas? Surprised

How much prep time will Vaughn need with her national team?

I guess this can be considered a bad move by the Liberty...so I'm sure Zeke was spearheading it...lol

However, if Vaughn plays well, It will be remembered as a Trader Bill special.Razz

Congratulations to Zeke on winning a well deserved Humanitarian Award. He has spent countless hours, on helping inner city youth in his hometown of Chicago and NYC...setting up anti-violence programs. Good to see him recognized at the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

“We are products of our past, but we don't have to be prisoners of it.”

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 21 of 80

Jump to: