Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zune69

PostPosted: 02/10/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
Again with the personal snipe, Root. You can't see to have a discussion without it unless somebody totally buys into everything you say. I never said Toler screwed up. Your assumption, or maybe you confused zune's post for mine. I suspect an apology will be forthcoming. If Parker needed to be cored, she needed to be cored. She's the most valuable asset that you can't risk losing. But by requiring to be cored instead of signing a longterm deal, Parker hurts her own team by letting assets slip away. For instance, if Sue Bird required her team to core her, then they can't core Langhorne. If Whalen or Augustus required to be cored, then they wouldn't be able to core flighty Fowles. And so on.... Therefore if you inferred any slighting, it should have been to Parker herself.

But I understand Parker may not have not been happy a couple years ago with the frustration on not getting the right coach and not winning a championship and whatnot. And now she's probably in her happy place. I'll just file it under, you hurt team but it's understandable.

OK, I did misread Zune's reply as agreement with your post. I apologize for the mistake. However, I don't think it's inaccurate to say that you're more prone to making snarky remarks about coaches and GMs than the average poster.

Shades is 100% spot on,the coring of Parker cost the sparks an opportunity to get a rotation player back for K.Toliver.However,I'm in agreement with you that sparks management made the safest decision based on the information at hand:

1.Sparks kept getting knocked out in the 1st rd.
2.Parker/Sheldon sell home(House went on the market Nov 2013 and was sold Jan 2014)
3.Parker/Sheldon were having marital problems
4.Parker sat out first half of 2015 season.

I take back my"Bad Job By Penny" comment.I highly doubt Toler/sparks management knew Parker's long-term intentions.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/10/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
Again with the personal snipe, Root. You can't see to have a discussion without it unless somebody totally buys into everything you say. I never said Toler screwed up. Your assumption, or maybe you confused zune's post for mine. I suspect an apology will be forthcoming. If Parker needed to be cored, she needed to be cored. She's the most valuable asset that you can't risk losing. But by requiring to be cored instead of signing a longterm deal, Parker hurts her own team by letting assets slip away. For instance, if Sue Bird required her team to core her, then they can't core Langhorne. If Whalen or Augustus required to be cored, then they wouldn't be able to core flighty Fowles. And so on.... Therefore if you inferred any slighting, it should have been to Parker herself.

But I understand Parker may not have not been happy a couple years ago with the frustration on not getting the right coach and not winning a championship and whatnot. And now she's probably in her happy place. I'll just file it under, you hurt team but it's understandable.

OK, I did misread Zune's reply as agreement with your post. I apologize for the mistake. However, I don't think it's inaccurate to say that you're more prone to making snarky remarks about coaches and GMs than the average poster.

Shades is 100% spot on,the coring of Parker cost the sparks an opportunity to get a rotation player back for K.Toliver.However,I'm in agreement with you that sparks management made the safest decision based on the information at hand:

1.Sparks kept getting knocked out in the 1st rd.
2.Parker/Sheldon sell home(House went on the market Nov 2013 and was sold Jan 2014)
3.Parker/Sheldon were having marital problems
4.Parker sat out first half of 2015 season.

I take back my"Bad Job By Penny" comment.I highly doubt Toler/sparks management knew Parker's long-term intentions.

I think my main point is getting lost here. Let me clarify. I was simply pointing out that Toliver had a seven-year relationship with the Sparks. A work relationship is like a marriage: it has its ups and downs. Toliver overtly displayed enough unhappiness in the past so that people on this board took to calling her Lil Mopey. It's a two-way street, so I'm sure management felt some displeasure too. When attempting to assess this situation, the history between individual and management has to be considered as well as her value as a player. Also, sports is very dependent on team chemistry, so that has to be factored in too. The coring issue is related but not really my main focus. I made the mistake of just responding to your post without thinking about when or whether a core was available. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. However, I will say that even with a core designation available, players have been allowed to leave. A recent example would be NY allowing Pierson to walk away in 2015. As far as I know, NY had no one cored and the option was available to them. Laimbeer was planning to move Charles from C to PF. Pierson was too small to function as a center and no longer quick enough to play SF. Her role would have been reduced to 7-8 mpg as Tina's backup. I think Liberty management let Pierson walk away as a courtesy. She had been with Laimbeer and Bernert in Detroit, and Plenette had been a good soldier for them for many years. I think they decided to be benign and let Pierson find the best situation for herself without any encumbrances. Maybe the same would have happened with Toliver even if LA had a core available. They say thank you for 7 good years, we have our PG of the future in Gray, lets just part on good terms after a great championship season. It would have been the sports equivalent of an amicable divorce.

PostPosted: 02/10/17 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Maybe the same would have happened with Toliver even if LA had a core available. They say thank you for 7 good years, we have our PG of the future in Gray, lets just part on good terms after a great championship season. It would have been the sports equivalent of an amicable divorce.

This is the same team still sending out qualifying offers to Ha Eun Joo and Emmeline Ndongue... Wink

PostPosted: 02/10/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Maybe the same would have happened with Toliver even if LA had a core available. They say thank you for 7 good years, we have our PG of the future in Gray, lets just part on good terms after a great championship season. It would have been the sports equivalent of an amicable divorce.

This is the same team still sending out qualifying offers to Ha Eun Joo and Emmeline Ndongue... Wink

Fair enough. And unlike the men's sports where huge contracts make the cap and salary recovery an incentive to boot players, the WNBA max contract depresses salaries enough so that a good player is usually a bargain. I was just making a point about the importance of relationships as part of the equation. I probably got carried away. Smile

PostPosted: 02/14/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lavender signs extension

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/jantel-lavender-extends-contract-los-angeles-sparks/

PostPosted: 02/14/17 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toler locking people up so she doesn't experience a repeat of the Toliver sitch. When does Ogwumike's contract expire?

[edit: last signing one year ago]

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/los-angeles-sparks-re-sign-forward-nneka-ogwumike/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
jap

PostPosted: 02/15/17 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dammit! 'Lil Mopey has officially escaped from the farm. Time for Chelsea to get together with her Dukey allum, Alana, and whip herself into prime time shape. She looked very good this past season: she will look even better when she is more streamlined and energetic, sort of a Nicky Teasley on steroids with better defensive skills and a killer rainbow trey.

I noticed that Alana has officially shrunk back down to a height of 5-feet, 11-inches . . . down a full two inches from her official listing over the last two-three seasons. Let's hear it for some truth in reporting for a change.

We need Ana Dabovic to rebound to better than her 2015 form. Certainly, a return of her long distance sniping will be welcome, With Kristi gone, we need more heavy artillery downtown. The selection of the #4 overall Sparks draft choice should be interesting to say the least.

PostPosted: 02/15/17 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

all the Sparks really need is a back-up PG for Gray & hope Williams comes back 100%. The Sparks are deep!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/15/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
all the Sparks really need is a back-up PG for Gray & hope Williams comes back 100%. The Sparks are deep!!

Williams is playing overseas, and I suspect they'd like to draft a prominent combo/PG. Williams, Dabovic, and I suppose even Beard can do a little PG backup.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/15/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams at PG shouldn't be an option. Beard & Dabovic, yes. Still, with the #4 I think the Sparks should take a PG if that's the best available.

UK1996

PostPosted: 02/15/17 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I originally thought SWK would be the best option for LA. I'm leaning more towards Alexis Jones now. She can back up the 1 and 2. I think Jones has potential. Of course LA could draft SWK and draft someone in the 2nd round. Kendall Noble? Allen? Epps? They could probably bring in a cheap option for backup like Goodrich.

PostPosted: 02/15/17 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if the Sparks made room for more than one draft pick. Remember, this is Agler.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/15/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I'd be surprised if the Sparks made room for more than one draft pick. Remember, this is Agler.

Agler typically doesn't like rookies, so I doubt he trades for another pick. If anything, he'll sign some aging PG(i.e. Temeka Johnson).

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 02/15/17 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Agler typically doesn't like rookies, so I doubt he trades for another pick. If anything, he'll sign some aging PG(i.e. Temeka Johnson).

LA has already moved on from T. Johnson. Idk why ppl keep putting her in the mix. If anything Hopkins will be our backup. I think LA will select best available player despite position. Backup SF/PG would be ideal.

PostPosted: 02/16/17 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now Ogwumike is extended

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/wnba-mvp-nneka-ogwumike-extends-contract-los-angeles-sparks/

Shades

PostPosted: 02/17/17 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace Parker set to appear on ESPN's "First Take" 10 AM-12 PM ET, no doubt to promote the NBA Celebrity All Star game tonight.

Parker says women sports fans should be supporting women's sports.
http://es.pn/2kGoDAj

Last edited by Shades on 02/17/17 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/17/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
I noticed that Alana has officially shrunk back down to a height of 5-feet, 11-inches . . . down a full two inches from her official listing over the last two-three seasons. Let's hear it for some truth in reporting for a change.

Alana was always listed as 5-11 while at Duke, IIRC.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/17/17 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless one of the Euros show up(Dubljevic or Belyakova), this should be their roster.

PG: Gray/Sims
SG: Beard/Williams
SF: Carson/Dabovic
PF: Ogwumike/Jackson-Jones
C: Parker/Lavender
11th: Warley-Talbert, Hopkins or Ibekwe

Last edited by toad455 on 02/18/17 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
jap

PostPosted: 02/17/17 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
jap wrote:

I know - I was joking. She has always been 5' 11", but they had her officially listed at 6' 1" when the Sparks moved her to SF a few seasons ago. When they moved her back to guard, she 'shrunk' back down to 5' 11".

PostPosted: 02/18/17 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks need a 3 point shooter(O'Hea,Quigley)

I still give minny the edge.Phoenix has not yet signed Bonner/Griner.....hard to make a prediction on the mercury.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 02/18/17 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

I would love to get Quigley and am hoping her Euroleague teammates, Lav and Gruda will convince her to come to sunny CA! Now, Stickland is also on their team... Any thoughts on her? Is it that she hasn't found the right situation? Why does she seem so inconsequential at times? I thought she played fine and with a lot of heart at Tennessee, but have to admit that I only saw her in a few games during her senior year.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/19/17 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
jap wrote:

I know - I was joking. She has always been 5' 11", but they had her officially listed at 6' 1" when the Sparks moved her to SF a few seasons ago. When they moved her back to guard, she 'shrunk' back down to 5' 11".

they say as we age, we shrink... Wink

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/19/17 5:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I would love to get Quigley and am hoping her Euroleague teammates, Lav and Gruda will convince her to come to sunny CA! Now, Stickland is also on their team... Any thoughts on her? Is it that she hasn't found the right situation? Why does she seem so inconsequential at times? I thought she played fine and with a lot of heart at Tennessee, but have to admit that I only saw her in a few games during her senior year.

Quigley cant play SF and the Sparks already have enough guards IMO (Gray, Sims, Williams, Beard)

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 02/19/17 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Quigley cant play SF and the Sparks already have enough guards IMO (Gray, Sims, Williams, Beard)

LA would obviously have to rid themselves of Williams to accommodate Quigley.A four guard rotation of Sims,Gray,Quigley and Beard would be awesome.Beard could play 10-12 minutes per game at SF,especially against teams with undersize Small forwards(sea,Dal,NY).There'd be plenty of minutes to go around.I just don't like the combination of Williams/Sims.Both are high usage players and are very streaky shooting the basketball.Sims will have no problems adapting her game to fit the sparks.She did so when she played for Baylor,and when she played for the US select team last season.I can't say the same about R.Williams.

Stricklen would be a nice pickup.She has great size for a SF,and is a career 35% 3pt shooter.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/21/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Magic Johnson named president of the Lakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 10 of 21

Jump to: