Odyssey Sims traded to Sparks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/17/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
I would think you could get more for Sims than moving up 7 spots in a weak-ass draft.

They also got a late second rounder

woo woo! I think LA definitely wins this one.

also since Sims and Williams have played together, presumably there will be some chemistry there so playing them at the same time will make sense.

+1

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/17/17 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Great move by both teams.Sims will now move to the pg position and become a elite defender.Sims now has a disciplinarian coach.Sims will become a top 3 pg within the next three seasons.Agler was not confident with Gray being his starting PG.For Dallas,this is addition by subtract,plus they get a draft pick.I'm expecting another sparks trade...R.williams for a shooter.

The sparks are now my favorite to win the wnba championship.[/b]

The bolded part is pure bull pucky. Chelsea Gray came through in the playoffs in a BIG way. She played smart and made some key shots. And, as a big PG, she gets extra rebounds and deflections that the shrimps can't reach. Chelsea is a tall Lindsay Whalen, although still recovering her full capabilities after two serious injuries. She did WAY better in one season than O.Simms did in three. We'll see who wins out in training camp. I'm betting on C.Gray.

~rAf
zune69

PostPosted: 02/17/17 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Great move by both teams.Sims will now move to the pg position and become a elite defender.Sims now has a disciplinarian coach.Sims will become a top 3 pg within the next three seasons.Agler was not confident with Gray being his starting PG.For Dallas,this is addition by subtract,plus they get a draft pick.I'm expecting another sparks trade...R.williams for a shooter.

The bolded part is pure bull pucky. Chelsea Gray came through in the playoffs in a BIG way. She played smart and made some key shots. And, as a big PG, she gets extra rebounds and deflections that the shrimps can't reach. Chelsea is a tall Lindsay Whalen, although still recovering her full capabilities after two serious injuries. She did WAY better in one season than O.Simms did in three. We'll see who wins out in training camp. I'm betting on C.Gray.

In game 5 vs minnesota Agler was upset with Gray's defensive effort and was ready to sit her on the bench.Gray made multiple mental errors in the last 3 minutes that nearly cost LA the championship.Agler also benched Gray in game 3 versus chicago.

Sims will be the starting PG when the season starts,jmo.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/17/17 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could Gray and Sims both play at the same time? Beard goes to the three for a small lineup with no true center?

It works for the Warriors ...

PostPosted: 02/17/17 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now with the 11th pick, L.A. can trade the pick and S. Gruda to the Stars for a 2018 1st round pick.

Re-sign Tolo

11 woman Roster

Starters:
Gray
Sims
Beard
Ogwumike
Parker

Reserves
6-Lavender
7-Carson
8-Williams
9-Tolo
10-Dabovic
11-Jackson-Jones/Warley-Talbert/Ibekwe/Danielle Adams (?)

Shades

PostPosted: 02/17/17 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
Now with the 11th pick, L.A. can trade the pick and S. Gruda to the Stars for a 2018 1st round pick.

Good luck with that. No way SAN should be trading their first rounder in 2018.

basketballologist wrote:
Re-sign Tolo

Not available.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sigur3

PostPosted: 02/17/17 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love this move for Dallas. Puts them firmly in tank mode while turning one of their useless late 1st round picks into something a little more useful.

Not sure how Sims is going to fit with LA. Her and Riquna replacing Toliver is going to take away a lot of touches from the MVP unless they buy in with Agler. Agreed on the point that Sims probably needed a better disciplinarian though. It would be cool to see her fulfill her potential.

(I think Glory is the one who needs to go, however)

Last edited by sigur3 on 02/17/17 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/17/17 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Sims had to go, I also think its time to look at the coach. I think Fred had what he needed to field a contender. But it would have meant getting a buy in from all his players. That didn't happen.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/17/17 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:

Bwahahaha.

That was a joke, right? Must've been.

PostPosted: 02/17/17 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If there is 1 coach that can get Sims on the right path it's Agler. He will take no crap or attitude from her or Williams for that matter.

Good move for the Sparks

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/17/17 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks won't have enough basketballs to placate Williams and Sims, much less give the players who *should* be shooting shots.

(now with spelling variations)
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/17/17 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LA let Toliver go. Possibly due to the coring issue in part but it seems to me Sims was part of a plan. To me, I think Agler will help. Sims will have more structure now and an awful lot of support to help her get better looks. Players can evolve. While it's entirely possible Sims will shoot a disproportionate number of shots, with a top coach and solid veteran presence, that might change. Plus Sims can swing between the 1 and 2 and still defend both spots at least to some extent, which should enable time for Gray. I think it's got the potential to work out well for LA. She certainly fits the athleticism level of the rest of the team.

I'd expect different offensive sets from the stuff LA ran last year. More pick and roll, less 4 out and 1 in. If so, you'll probably see somewhat of a change in the numbers of Parker and Nneka as a result.

PostPosted: 02/17/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Could Gray and Sims both play at the same time? Beard goes to the three for a small lineup with no true center?

It works for the Warriors ...

I don't see why not. IMO the additional of Sims in terms of minutes will have more impact on the minutes R. Williams will get and later Dabovic will get, than the minuets C. Gray will get.

I could see a R. Williams for T. Wright trade.

And yes I know the Liberty are over loaded at the two spot, and just because Wright was cored doesn't mean she wants to move on or the Liberty want her to move on.

But, Wright in LA as a vet back PG makes a ton of sense joining her old coach and maybe trying for one more 'ship, and Laimbeer wanting a tough/athletic player who can create her own shot to feature in the second unit doesn't seem that far fetched to me. I also think both player are going to be on max deals next season so it wouldn't really impact the cap for either team.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 02/17/17 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She probably did a cartwheel upon hearing the news. Traded to the champions, with a chance to be their starting PG.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/17/17 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
LA let Toliver go. Possibly due to the coring issue in part but it seems to me Sims was part of a plan.

Maybe.... but I think it's more likely that Toler found a quick solution to Toliver leaving. Agler was probably like "I don't need a rookie. Find someone who will part with a young experienced CG/PG for that #4 pick."
They were probably hoping for Diggins. I wouldn't be surprised if Miller offered Bentley, but I'd prefer Sims over Bentley. Hayes is worth more than #4 unless there's at least two early declarers.

A little early rolling of the dice for these teams. Agler didn't fair too well with his 2012 dice roll.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/17/17 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

In game 5 vs minnesota Agler was upset with Gray's defensive effort and was ready to sit her on the bench.Gray made multiple mental errors in the last 3 minutes that nearly cost LA the championship.Agler also benched Gray in game 3 versus chicago.

That's the sum total for your BOLDED statement about C.Gray? Seriously? If you watched that series, C.Gray was a key component of victory. Like I said, training camp should be fun and competitive for those two. Everyone needs at least two who can play PG, so had to find a Toliver replacement. Gray knows how to find the hot hand better than anyone, including Simms. I think they'll play together a fair amount.

~rAf
jap

PostPosted: 02/18/17 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I prefer Chelsea at PG. She's taller than Odyssey and sees the floor better. She also defends well. Odyssey not only backs her up but can man (woman?) the SG spot when Alana needs a break or slides to the SF spot. I just want to Chelsea get into top shape so she can be all that she can be.

Well, at least Penny is acquiring more long range firepower to make up for Kristi's absence. With Nneka and Candace creating havoc in the paint, Odyssey will et more open looks than she was used to getting in Dallas. Odyssey is also a very good defender, and I like the idea of her being positively influenced by the super intense Alana and Essence.

PostPosted: 02/18/17 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

That's the sum total for your BOLDED statement about C.Gray? Seriously? If you watched that series, C.Gray was a key component of victory. Like I said, training camp should be fun and competitive for those two. Everyone needs at least two who can play PG, so had to find a Toliver replacement. Gray knows how to find the hot hand better than anyone, including Simms. I think they'll play together a fair amount.

Gray helped LA get the win the title,but she still made poor decisions at the end of the basketball game.Decisions that are unexceptable for a starting PG.Gray is a good 18-24 minute player,but she's not ready to run a offense for a championship contender on a full-time basis.When Toliver signed with washington I felt Agler/Toler would make a move for a pg,and "Bingo",welcome to LA O.Sims.You can say my comment about Agler not being confident with Gray as the starting pg is a bunch os B.S.,But the fact is,LA just acquired a big name 25-30 minute per game PG.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/18/17 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
Odyssey is also a very good defender

I understand that this was her reputation in college, but at WNBA level this is a myth. Dallas/Tulsa may have had no real defensive post presence for years, but opponents also repeatedly drive by the perimeter players at will. The injuries she's had since turning pro probably haven't helped, but regardless, she's been no kind of stopper in the WNBA.

That said, it's one of the many reasons that this is a great trade for Sims herself, regardless of how good you think it is for the teams. She gets to go somewhere where defense (or at the very least defensive effort) will be demanded of her, and where there's an actual structure to the team defense. Maybe she finally becomes the defender that people have been claiming she is for years.

PostPosted: 02/18/17 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
LA let Toliver go. Possibly due to the coring issue in part but it seems to me Sims was part of a plan.

Maybe.... but I think it's more likely that Toler found a quick solution to Toliver leaving. Agler was probably like "I don't need a rookie. Find someone who will part with a young experienced CG/PG for that #4 pick."
They were probably hoping for Diggins. I wouldn't be surprised if Miller offered Bentley, but I'd prefer Sims over Bentley. Hayes is worth more than #4 unless there's at least two early declarers.

A little early rolling of the dice for these teams. Agler didn't fair too well with his 2012 dice roll.

Sims was on the block for months so I doubt it was Toler who went out and found this deal.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 02/18/17 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I'm just fascinated by how many times you can misspell Sims' name in one thread despite quoting posts with the correct spelling and seeing the correct spelling in the name of the thread.

PostPosted: 02/18/17 2:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
jap wrote:
Odyssey is also a very good defender

I understand that this was her reputation in college, but at WNBA level this is a myth. Dallas/Tulsa may have had no real defensive post presence for years, but opponents also repeatedly drive by the perimeter players at will. The injuries she's had since turning pro probably haven't helped, but regardless, she's been no kind of stopper in the WNBA.

That said, it's one of the many reasons that this is a great trade for Sims herself, regardless of how good you think it is for the teams. She gets to go somewhere where defense (or at the very least defensive effort) will be demanded of her, and where there's an actual structure to the team defense. Maybe she finally becomes the defender that people have been claiming she is for years.

And you had no problem with jap saying Chelsea Gray was a good defender?

PostPosted: 02/18/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also thought, for whatever it's worth, that Sims' D with Dallas was too highly regarded on the board. That said, with a defensive-minded coach like Agler I would expect an upgrade in terms of her playing to her level of explosiveness and talent. Even Toliver played passable D last year for LA. She'll always be limited due to her slight size, but she is one of those little players who could be a pest on defense at times. And statistically she certainly didn't hurt LA from a defensive standpoint. Since Sims is physically an upgrade in defensive talent, I'd expect her to be responsive to Agler's coaching as well.

PostPosted: 02/19/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Sims was on the block for months so I doubt it was Toler who went out and found this deal.

This...People here in dallas are sad to see hometown O leave but we were not suprised. Trade rumors about O started flying around halfway through the end of last season. Remember the game when O and Glory both were suspended for the 1st Qtr Against LA? Twisted Evil Exclamation

PostPosted: 02/19/17 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indeed, I remember the suspension. Any ideas on what transpired to cause that?

Btw, it looks like Sims is all ready to go eh?

https://twitter.com/CoachRookie/status/833348826639585283/photo/1

I wonder what they told Chelsea? Hmmm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: