RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

And its Official Time for the 2017 Hot Seat ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/29/17 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I agree she seems to be a really NICE person, but her teams have underperformed consistently, and not by just a little bit. I had hopes this year because it seemed they finally had a couple of shooters that would open up the middle a bit for Anigwe. I like Thomas. Range and Cowling are very athletic. And Davidson has been better than expected. It's like they have all the pieces and just can't put it together. THat's the part that drives me nuts. They're currently 3-6 in P12 and that's because they got to play Arizona twice. Since they also get to play Colo/Utah twice (split the first time) they have a chance to end at 9-9 if they win every game that it looks possible for them to win. I'm guessing more likely 8-10 or even 7-11. For the amount of talent, this is (to me) simply unacceptable.

I will say this. She certainly has a die-hard group of supporters who leap to her defense whenever anyone watches them play and then wonders how she keeps her job.

and now they lose at WSU which is one of the games I thought they needed to win in order to finish at .500

- Amanda Gorman
zvyn3

PostPosted: 01/30/17 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I agree she seems to be a really NICE person, but her teams have underperformed consistently, and not by just a little bit. I had hopes this year because it seemed they finally had a couple of shooters that would open up the middle a bit for Anigwe. I like Thomas. Range and Cowling are very athletic. And Davidson has been better than expected. It's like they have all the pieces and just can't put it together. THat's the part that drives me nuts. They're currently 3-6 in P12 and that's because they got to play Arizona twice. Since they also get to play Colo/Utah twice (split the first time) they have a chance to end at 9-9 if they win every game that it looks possible for them to win. I'm guessing more likely 8-10 or even 7-11. For the amount of talent, this is (to me) simply unacceptable.

I will say this. She certainly has a die-hard group of supporters who leap to her defense whenever anyone watches them play and then wonders how she keeps her job.

That sounds a lot like another coach I know.

cattekin

PostPosted: 01/30/17 2:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Her personality just is a good fit for the Berkeley lifestyle and I am guessing her administration really likes her.

A coach once told me: "But for a few notable exceptions, women's basketball doesn't make money for anyone — so people have to like you".

People *like* Lindsey. Part of the reason for that is that she genuinely likes other people. She had zero reason to put up with me for several years — for five seasons, if I showed up at the building (last year as an assistant at Cal, three years at UCSB, first year as Cal HC), her team lost. Yet she always had time to talk post-game (and even when Lindsey didn't have to talk to me — because Cal didn't recognize me as press for a long while — she made sure I had a good place to sit).

I'll always support Coach Gottlieb.

This year, like last year, Cal's too inexperienced. That won't be a viable excuse next season, and I don't reckon they'll need one.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/07/17 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Terri Williams is safe. She's popular and they are 13-5, 3-1 and barring a complete disaster or injury, will be in the mix of the 7-8 SEC teams for the NCAAs.

Seems they've recruited some size (some) for next year, too.

Now her team is 15-9 and 5-5 in conference play. The only SEC team that Auburn has beat to date with a winning conference record is Tennessee. They have played several ranked teams, but have yet to beat a ranked team this season. Losing at home by 30 to Ms State Thursday night was pathetic.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/11/17 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Martin at Delaware needs to retire. Definitely. After what I saw last night I think she is either incompetent or just burned out. That team was so poorly coached and poorly conditioned it was painful to watch. I realize she only had 8 players dressed so may have injury problems, but 5 of them played 29-37 minutes and a 6th played 25 minutes. They were all so gassed by the 3rd quarter they couldn't keep up. The other 2 barely played at all. And all of them were continually looking at the bench to see what they were supposed to do next.Crying or Very sad It made me wonder if the reason they did so well when Delle Donne was playing for them was that SHE was actually doing most of the coaching as well as carrying the team on her shoulders.

PostPosted: 02/13/17 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Terri Williams is safe. She's popular and they are 13-5, 3-1 and barring a complete disaster or injury, will be in the mix of the 7-8 SEC teams for the NCAAs.

Seems they've recruited some size (some) for next year, too.

Yesterday I was able to witness first hand that "complete disaster" coming to fruition. Once 13-5, Auburn is now 15-11, 5-7 in SEC, after losing to a Georgia team that is now 13-12. Its great to be able to force 20+ turnovers, but when you shoot 24% it doesn't matter.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/14/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those who are constantly criticizing Holly Warlick, I think this was a REALLY nice defense of her by one of her toughest rivals. http://www.local8now.com/content/sports/Texas-AM-head-coach-Gary-Blair-defends-Holly-Warlick-413537963.html

PostPosted: 02/15/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
For those who are constantly criticizing Holly Warlick, I think this was a REALLY nice defense of her by one of her toughest rivals. http://www.local8now.com/content/sports/Texas-AM-head-coach-Gary-Blair-defends-Holly-Warlick-413537963.html

He is such a gentleman. He also speaks his mind and wouldn't take the time to say that if he didn't honestly believe it.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/17/17 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hear its getting hot in the kitchen down at Auburn. Thursday night was another loss, this time to Ole Miss Embarassed

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say Joanne Boyle poured a bucket of ice water over her seat this week. Beating FSU, on the heels of their 49 point beat down of VaTech, likely removes any threat to her job security.

I'm guessing they still need to beat Louisville and or NCSt, or win a couple rounds in the ACCT, to make the NCAA tournament, but still, it's certainly an improvement.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/17/17 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'd say Joanne Boyle poured a bucket of ice water over her seat this week. Beating FSU, on the heels of their 49 point beat down of VaTech, likely removes any threat to her job security.

I'm guessing they still need to beat Louisville and or NCSt, or win a couple rounds in the ACCT, to make the NCAA tournament, but still, it's certainly an improvement.

It's an interesting dilemma. On one hand at a micro level she is on the upswing. At a macro level this is her 6th season at Virginia and she has never made the tournament and even now they have some work to do. She hasn't strung together consecutive good classes, I think that's what hurt. The freshman class is good but next year all they have 1 is unheralded guard coming in.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 02/17/17 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Of course her rivals would want her to stay. They know they have a pretty damn good chance of winning every time they face her.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/17/17 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

It's an interesting dilemma. On one hand at a micro level she is on the upswing. At a macro level this is her 6th season at Virginia and she has never made the tournament and even now they have some work to do. She hasn't strung together consecutive good classes, I think that's what hurt. The freshman class is good but next year all they have 1 is unheralded guard coming in.

I don't think the UVA AD is worried enough about it. I think those two wins provide them more than enough cover to keep her. Heck maybe she can build something around the 6'9" girl.

It may also be one of those "who are we going to get that we're sure would be any better," deals too.

I think she's safe for a while.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/17/17 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Of course her rivals would want her to stay. They know they have a pretty damn good chance of winning every time they face her.

She is in year 5. She has been to 3 Elite 8s and one Sweet 16, was SEC Reg season champ in 2 of the 4 years completed to date, and won the SEC Tourn in 2014. She is clearly an awful coach that has no idea what she is doing..... rofl.

2012–13 27–8 14–2 NCAA Elite Eight - Reg Season SEC Ch
2013–14 29–6 13–3 NCAA Sweet Sixteen - SEC Tourn Ch
2014–15 30–6 15–1 NCAA Elite Eight - Reg Season SEC Ch
2015–16 22–14 8–8 NCAA Elite Eight
2016–17 16–10 7–6

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/18/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

She is in year 5. She has been to 3 Elite 8s and one Sweet 16, was SEC Reg season champ in 2 of the 4 years completed to date, and won the SEC Tourn in 2014. She is clearly an awful coach that has no idea what she is doing..... rofl.

2016–17 16–10 7–6

She has the benefit of having really good players still want to play at Tennessee. Once they get there, she doesn't know what to do with then, because yes, she is a completely awful coach. If Auriemma had the exact roster she has had the last few years, he'd be winning national championships. Next year, she'll be bailed out at times because she has a good class coming in, but they're honestly won't be any better because of the shitty coach they have.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/18/17 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

2016–17 16–10 7–6

She has the benefit of having really good players still want to play at Tennessee. Once they get there, she doesn't know what to do with then, because yes, she is a completely awful coach. If Auriemma had the exact roster she has had the last few years, he'd be winning national championships. Next year, she'll be bailed out at times because she has a good class coming in, but they're honestly won't be any better because of the shitty coach they have.

Isn't there a bridge somewhere you should be preventing billy goats from crossing?

PostPosted: 02/18/17 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

2016–17 16–10 7–6

Too bad Elite Eights and Sweet Sixteens are NOT the standard of Lady Vol Basketball. They're expected to compete for championships. She's had superior talent throughout her five years and regularly loses to inferior teams. No competent offensive system, no ball movement, and no player development. And that's just scratching the surface. She's destroyed one of the university's proudest traditions. Lost 24 games (and counting) the past two seasons. The players and fans deserve better.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 02/18/17 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She could lose to a middle school team and people would still make excuses for her.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/19/17 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers is terrible this year ... and hasn't been relevant for a long time.

I think CViv has a big, long contract, and maybe Rutgers doesn't care. But I would think the Big 10 would like the team closest to New York to be worth mentioning now and again ...

PostPosted: 02/19/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I think CViv has a big, long contract, and maybe Rutgers doesn't care. But I would think the Big 10 would like the team closest to New York to be worth mentioning now and again ...

Right now Rutgers is third from the bottom in league standings, compared to last in men's basketball and finishing last in football. Both of those coaches are in their first year, meaning they paid to fire to coaches last year. Not sure they will have the finances to fire the coach that is heading just one of many terrible programs at the school.

So far, the move to the B10 has been an unmitigated disaster for Rutgers in terms of wins and losses.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/19/17 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Right now Rutgers is third from the bottom in league standings, compared to last in men's basketball and finishing last in football. Both of those coaches are in their first year, meaning they paid to fire to coaches last year. Not sure they will have the finances to fire the coach that is heading just one of many terrible programs at the school.

So far, the move to the B10 has been an unmitigated disaster for Rutgers in terms of wins and losses.

Yeah, but they're making more money. Rolling Eyes

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/20/17 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
She could lose to a middle school team and people would still make excuses for her.

+1

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/21/17 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

2016–17 16–10 7–6

Too bad Elite Eights and Sweet Sixteens are NOT the standard of Lady Vol Basketball. They're expected to compete for championships. She's had superior talent throughout her five years and regularly loses to inferior teams. No competent offensive system, no ball movement, and no player development. And that's just scratching the surface. She's destroyed one of the university's proudest traditions. Lost 24 games (and counting) the past two seasons. The players and fans deserve better.

If that segment of fans isn't careful, they will find themselves in the same predicament the football program has been in for over a decade. Things aren't as bad as you make them out to be. I can only laugh when you make a comment like she is "clearly an awful coach." I have sat no the first row behind the coaches and players and I can attest to the fact that she isn't an awful coach. My opinion is that she needs to shake up her staff somewhat, but that can be done. They aren't great either, but to act as though that staff has no idea as to what they are doing is patently ridiculous.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/21/17 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Auburn lost a 6th consecutive game tonight. This loss was to Alabama. An announcement should be coming within the next 2 weeks.

joetro

PostPosted: 02/21/17 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal is ... struggling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: