RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Odyssey Sims traded to Sparks
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/17/17 2:15 pm    ::: Odyssey Sims traded to Sparks Reply Reply with quote

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5eed41bffd5242aaa12f142476a05590/ap-source-wings-trade-odyssey-sims-sparks-no-4-pick

Quote:
The Dallas Wings are trading Sims to the Sparks for the No. 4 pick in the upcoming WNBA draft, according to a person with knowledge of the deal. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Friday because no official announcement had been made.

The Sparks also receive the 11th pick in the draft, which Los Angeles had traded to Dallas before last season.

PostPosted: 02/17/17 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I should be happy because I am not sure what we would have done with that pick anyway, but I continue to be underwhelmed with Odyssey Sims. I know the college accolades, that she was # 2 in the recent draft, etc. However, she simply strikes me as a "volume shooter" (i.e. she might get you 18 points, but she took 18 shots to get there).

I'm more concerned re: Chelsea Gray. I think Gray needs to start in order for her to fully evolve. Bringing in Sims creates competition at the PG spot. Hmm, Penny I hope you know what you are doing!
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 02/17/17 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boom goes the Wings! Shocked

How long until Diggins pulls a 'Get Me Outta Here!' Question

Everybody else is doing it...
Confused

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 02/17/17 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:
I should be happy because I am not sure what we would have done with that pick anyway, but I continue to be underwhelmed with Odyssey Sims. I know the college accolades, that she was # 2 in the recent draft, etc. However, she simply strikes me as a "volume shooter" (i.e. she might get you 18 points, but she took 18 shots to get there).

I'm more concerned re: Chelsea Gray. I think Gray needs to start in order for her to fully evolve. Bringing in Sims creates competition at the PG spot. Hmm, Penny I hope you know what you are doing!

Whattttt?!? I'm kind of on the fence about this acquisition as I think Penny should've waited to see if anyone would declare early. If we get the Simms that played against the US national team before they went to the Olympics, this is a steal. If we get Odyssey that took a million shots to get 15 points while Diggins was out, she might be on the trading block again lol. I think Gray will still be our starter with Simms, Williams and Dabovic off the bench at the 1,2 and 3 positions. Simms and Williams together could be instant offense for LA or instant offense for the opposing team as both are subpar defenders. Having Simms play the backup pg may be better for her defensively. She's actually a pretty good on ball defender, but she's better suited defending the opposing team's pg and not the bigger 2guards. Penny is making moves and I'm excited.

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Total Agler move. He's not impressed with the potential juiciness at #4. He's also pretty well connected to basketball in Ohio (KMitch). Sims has three years WNBA experience. Aggy like. He gets Sims and still has a first round pick.

Dallas seems to be in continual rebuild mode and loving this draft: #3, #4, & #10.

Would SAN be interested in trading #1 for #3 & #4? Then SAN would have #3, #4, #5

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/la-sparks-acquire-odyssey-sims-trade-dallas-wings/

Sparks also sent Dallas the #23 pick

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this. I like Sims and definitely think she has great potential. For what ever reason, she wasn't able to thrive in Dallas. Dang and didn't they pitch Dallas as her coming home? Yikes! She does present as a volume shooter, but I think in some ways, she had to be after BG graduated. As a pro, the Olympic committee has seemed to like her but something about the system in Dallas hasn't worked particularly well for her. Diggins has been fine with it for the most part when she can stay healthy. This may be the move that Sims needs!

The concern I have in LA is that her and Gray seem a bit redundant. Young, physical guards who like to take some risks. I really expected them to get a vet guard and then you add Williams and Hopkins. That seems to be alot of youth for Agler at key positions. I mean they are not rookies, but...hmmm...It will be interesting to see for sure. Now I have to go check out how Odyssey has been doing during the W offseason.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe this will help diggins with the ball in her hands more, Not sure if you start Powers now, but if the Wings did draft Wiese or Walker-Kimbrough to use at the 2 guard it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited by #Occasionalwnbafan on 02/17/17 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
zvyn3

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a terrible trade for the Sparks. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough would have been the perfect player for them to draft at #4. With all due respect, Sims just sucks. She's a career 37.8% shooter and 28.7% from 3. If they want her to be Toliver's replacement, well, I'm not really sure what they're thinking.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder what number Sims will wear in LA. Alana Beard owns #0.

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

How about #00?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a great trade for Sims and The Sparks. I think when you look at Sims poorer play it because she goes into hero ball mode. The Sparks have a good coach a ton of veteran players. Parker and Ogwumike aren't going to let Sims take 20 shots ever, and high IQ vets like Beard and Carson will be there to show her the way. Sims should thrive in LA. The Sparks get someone who can run the point, create her own shot, and hit some three (probably at her highest career percentage since she isn't going to be throwing up contested shots, and isn't likely to be the player with the ball in her hand as the clock runs down).

Also without Dabo until the end of Euro basket Beard even if she starts at the SG spot is going to be getting all the minutes at the SF spot that Carson doesn't get, unless they go to the 3 big line up. Either way with Toliver gone and Beard sliding to the SF spot sometimes there are a bunch of minutes for Gray, Williams and Simms to split. Sims probably won't be logging 35 minutes a night, but this might have a positive affect on her game as well. It will be interesting to see who starts. I think for noe Sims might end up starting ahead of Gray, but we'll see

Sims/Gray
Beard/Williams
Carson
Parker/TJJ
Ogwunike/Lavender

fill it out with the returning Dabovic, Warley and Hoskins, with Ibekwe and #11 trying to knock someone off for those last, probably never going to see minutes in real games spots since Agler usual only goes 8-9 max in his rotation anyway. Even with the departure of Toliver that is still a pretty intimidating team.

boom*NNEKA*nneka

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

With Toliver gone, Beard can switch back to # 20, and Odyssey could take # 0.
pilight

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
This is a terrible trade for the Sparks. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough would have been the perfect player for them to draft at #4. With all due respect, Sims just sucks. She's a career 37.8% shooter and 28.7% from 3. If they want her to be Toliver's replacement, well, I'm not really sure what they're thinking.

Sims needs a more discipline oriented coach. Fred Williams lets players do whatever they want. Agler isn't going to put up with the kind of nonsense she was getting away with in Dallas/Tulsa.

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the flip side LA could now deal R. Williams.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Greg Bibb explains Dallas thinking

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/02/17/dallas-wings-trade-odyssey-sims-los-angeles-sparks-first-round-pick

Quote:
"We feel this gives us a lot of flexibility to either use the draft picks or use them to trade for another asset to help us get back to where we want to go, which is back to the WNBA playoffs," Bibb said. "I'm a big believer in you need to give up value to get value in return. Odyssey is a very talented player and I wish her the best in LA but we felt like this was the opportunity to get back to where we want to be."

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Boom goes the Wings! Shocked

How long until Diggins pulls a 'Get Me Outta Here!' Question

Everybody else is doing it...
Confused

i think it was more of Dallas wanting to have O Out than her wanting to leave

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great move by both teams.Sims will now move to the pg position and become a elite defender.Sims now has a disciplinarian coach.Sims will become a top 3 pg within the next three seasons.Agler was not confident with Gray being his starting PG.For Dallas,this is addition by subtract,plus they get a draft pick.I'm expecting another sparks trade...R.williams for a shooter.

The sparks have improved with this trade.However,they still need a long range shooter.I have them as the 2nd best team right behind minnesota.

Last edited by zune69 on 02/18/17 10:40 am; edited 6 times in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think you could get more for Sims than moving up 7 spots in a weak-ass draft.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/17/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I would think you could get more for Sims than moving up 7 spots in a weak-ass draft.

They also got a late second rounder

PostPosted: 02/17/17 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Well, then ...

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/17/17 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

woo woo! I think LA definitely wins this one.

also since Sims and Williams have played together, presumably there will be some chemistry there so playing them at the same time will make sense.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 02/17/17 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:
pilight wrote:

With Toliver gone, Beard can switch back to # 20, and Odyssey could take # 0.

Sounds like a plan

zune69

PostPosted: 02/17/17 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

woo woo! I think LA definitely wins this one.

also since Sims and Williams have played together, presumably there will be some chemistry there so playing them at the same time will make sense.

Sims and Williams together makes no sense for LA.Both players are high usage,and are only 5'8 at the most Trading Williams for a shooter would be the smart move.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/17/17 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now, it looks like a steal for LA. Dallas should have at least waited to see who declares early for the draft.

It's interesting how these picks are being valued:

#4 + #23 = Sims + #11

#6 + #18 = Swords + #15

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: