Connecticut Sun 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 02/15/17 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Faris is signed
http://sun.wnba.com/news/faris-among-three-signed-training-camp-contracts/

I wonder if Pederson is basketball ready after taking a year off? I like Hamson with Connecticut, good back-up center.

PG: JThomas/Banham
SG: Bentley/Stricklen/CWilliams
SF: AThomas/Tuck
PF: Little/Gray
C: Jones/Hamson
IR: Ogwumike

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/15/17 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I like Hamson with Connecticut, good back-up center.

Not based on anything we've seen in the WNBA so far.

'Taking a year off' seems a pretty generous interpretation of Pedersen being out of the League last year, too.

PostPosted: 02/15/17 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Faris is signed
http://sun.wnba.com/news/faris-among-three-signed-training-camp-contracts/

I wonder if Pederson is basketball ready after taking a year off? I like Hamson with Connecticut, good back-up center.

PG: JThomas/Banham
SG: Bentley/Stricklen/CWilliams
SF: AThomas/Tuck
PF: Little/Gray
C: Jones/Hamson
IR: Ogwumike

Hamson is pretty crappy. I'd rather give the roster spot to Jillian Alleyne and see what she can do as Jonquel's backup instead.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/15/17 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't know where or for what but this looks like a team that could make a trade or two.

Maybe a young player and #13 to move up in the draft, or a couple of young players for one good vet. There are teams out there near the cap that might be open to that.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/16/17 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's basically exactly the same roster as last year, minus their best player. So I wouldn't say there's any particular likelihood of a trade. At least they'll have continuity on their side going into the 2017 season, which can be an important thing in such a short and compact calendar. And they had a pretty good record late last year, once they shuffled things around a bit.

PostPosted: 02/16/17 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Miller was envisioning playing Ogwumike and second-year forward Jonquel Jones together as much as possible and build around them.

"Now we've had to alter that," Miller said.

Miller said he expects forward Morgan Tuck and guard Rachel Banham, both recovering from knee surgery, will be back by training camp.

The signings of Hamson, a 6-7 center, Pederson, a 6-4 forward, and Faris, the former UConn star, were done to provide competition in training camp. For the first time, Faris will come to camp without a guaranteed contract. Hamson and Pederson did not play in the WNBA last season.

"There will be a great fight for the last positions on the roster and I think that's good for a young team," Miller said.

Miller said he did not get heavily involved in the Elena Delle Donne sweepstakes after the former MVP announced her desire to be traded from Chicago. She was eventually dealt to Washington.

"We wanted to do what was best for our roster and we believe in a lot of the pieces we have," Miller said. "We weren't prepared to decimate our roster to add one player."

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sun-miller-outlook-0216-20170215-story.html

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/16/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a giant bowl of tosh. Delle Donne would've had no interest in going to Connecticut anyway, and Faris's contract (like all rookie scale contracts) has never been guaranteed.

PostPosted: 02/16/17 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It's basically exactly the same roster as last year, minus their best player. So I wouldn't say there's any particular likelihood of a trade. At least they'll have continuity on their side going into the 2017 season, which can be an important thing in such a short and compact calendar. And they had a pretty good record late last year, once they shuffled things around a bit.

Unfortunately for Connecticut,Ogwumike had a lot to do with that good record.Chiney finished the season with 17 consecutive double-digit scoring games.She scored 10+ points in 21 of the last 23 games.Chiney shot 7-10fg in the two games she failed to reach double-digits.

Last 17 games:16.9p/8.5r/58%fg/76%ft

sigur3

PostPosted: 02/16/17 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL Delle Donne going to Connecticut was never even remotely close to being a thing

Shades

PostPosted: 02/16/17 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Decimation was averted, according to Miller. What a relief. He's really earning those big bucks this season.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/17/17 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Decimation was averted, according to Miller. What a relief. He's really earning those big bucks this season.

EDD's a big whiny crybaby anyways. Don't want her on the Sun. Sure she brings offense but she's also weak and plays zero defense. DC will win a few more games this year than last year but they are still not even remotely championship quality. She WOULD have been a good replacement for Chiney While she's out with injury but Chiney (when healthy) >> EDD on and off the court.

UK1996

PostPosted: 02/17/17 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't call EDD whiny, I don't blame her for leaving considering her health issues and her closeness to her sister. If were in her situation, I'd probably do the same. In the end Family and health come first.

PostPosted: 02/17/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
I wouldn't call EDD whiny, I don't blame her for leaving considering her health issues and her closeness to her sister. If were in her situation, I'd probably do the same. In the end Family and health come first.

I definitely will not argue this part. It's the behind the scenes stunts that she pulled.

PostPosted: 02/17/17 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:

My comment had nothing to do with her wanted to play nearer her family, it had to do with her dishonesty, and other thing's she's said/done, not to mention that she is still whining about lowering the rims in the WNBA. She's one shady lady. The 'playing in China and then had to leave due to Lyme Disease flareup' was bullshit. She was never sick. How do I know? Easy, she said she was going to play in China because and only because she might have had to sit out the WNBA if her trade demand to Washington didn't go through. When she gets to China, suddenly she comes down with an attack of Lyme Disease and rushes back to the USA. Coincidentally, her Lyme Disease flareup happened exactly the same moment when the deal went through to send her from Chicago to the Mystics, thus guaranteeing her WNBA pay check this summer and no longer needing to play in China for money. Then when she got back to the US, and went to Washington DC, she was doing photo ops for the Mystics, meetings, events, annoucements with the press etc. 100% healthy. The last time she got a flareup of Lyme Disease while playing for the Sky, she had to miss a large portion of the season because she was so sick.

So yeah, she's very shady, not to mention she's a total bullshitter.

This is not something new either. She's been bullshitting since her college days. Remember when she said she left Uconn after one day on campus because she realized she wanted to be home and that she was completely burnt out on basketball and wanted ONLY to play volleyball from then on. Then she goes home, goes to college and plays the one season of volleyball ONLY because she couldn't play basketball that year due to transfer rules. Soon as she could, she got over her complete burnout of basketball and joined the basketball team. She's now been playing basketball ever since and loving it. I guess that one season of volleyball totally cured her burnout and hatred of basketball LOL.

I don't believe a word that comes out of that woman's mouth. So yes, I am so glad that Miller didn't trade our entire team away for her. Not that she even considered any other teams aside from Washington anyways. That was another lie, when she said she'd be happy being traded to whichever team got her. She demanded to the Sky owner to trade her to Washington and no where else.

I respect her as a player and she is a great 'face of the WNBA' type player but as a person, nope, she's 100% shady.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Miller did well to get a good deal out of Little.

JThomas/Banham
Bentley/Williams
Stricklen/Tuck (until more proven)
AThomas/Pedersen/Gray
Jones/Kizer

Ogwumike
Faris
Hamson

I've got AThomas as starting PF, because as far as I know that's the position she was kicking butt in towards the end of last season.

Could be a battle for starter between Jones and Kizer. Kizer has built up some savvy by now so she might win out.

If they go 4 posts because of paying for Ogwumike's spot, it might be a battle between Pedersen and Gray. Hard to say what level Pedersen is at. A marginal player takes a year off. Is she gonna come back better or is she finally done? If they go with 4 posts, they can always use Tuck in the mix with the posts.

They paid Ogwumike for her season she was out with microfracture surgery, so I'm guessing they'll do the same for this season with the Achilles. I don't believe any other player has gotten this kind of royal treatment, but it's Connecticut, so you gotta do what you gotta do to keep your future franchise player happy.

I kept #8 pick in black because I believe they'll be good enough to get a chance to develop past training camp. I think they'll be going guard because a decent guard will be available at #8, thus putting Faris in orange, indicating she's at risk of getting cut. Hamson would have to surprise.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/22/17 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd have Hamson over Peterson. Hamson at least has played recently (WNBL), while Peterson hasn't played since the 2015 season.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/17 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamson would also have to beat out Gray if CON is going 4-post with Tuck as a backup post. Hamson seems redundant because she's like the less athletic version of Jones and would most likely have to play the center position making her less versatile. In my mind, Hamson would have to surprise big to make the cut. I wish her luck though.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 02/22/17 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sun sign Danielle Adams to a training camp contract

Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/17 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Well there's somebody else who's a little more versatile than Hamson.

How many draft picks does CON have? They're not going to fit everybody into camp at once.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/22/17 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Now Hamson gets cut. Unless Adams is still very out of shape.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/22/17 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Even if she was out of shape, wasn't she still kinda speedy? Plus she can shoot from anywhere on the court and if I'm not mistaken, she was still able to score around the rim while being guarded by taller defenders even though she's an undersized post player?

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/22/17 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
toad455 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Even if she was out of shape, wasn't she still kinda speedy? Plus she can shoot from anywhere on the court and if I'm not mistaken, she was still able to score around the rim while being guarded by taller defenders even though she's an undersized post player?

she has nimble feet, but no, speedy is not an adjective I would use for D. Adams. And her defense is almost non-existent.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/22/17 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it possible that they could do something like suspend Ogwumike for the season allowing her to not count against the roster or payroll, and then give her some sort of off the court position like media outreach, or public relations something or other. If not they might want to consider packaging multiple pieces for an upgrade in talent.

J. Thomas
Bentley/C. Williams
A. Thomas/Tuck/Stricklen
Kizer/D. Adams
J. Jones

That is nine right there, with the flexibility to go in multiple directions with the last two picks based on a number of players being able to slide up or down a position based on size and skill. I start Kizer and A. Thomas with Jones and find a way to make it work.

then you have Banham and an unsigned Faris as other guard options

Pedersen, Hamson and Gray as other post options

and Conn has the #8 and #13 pick

so other possible guards drafted at 8 or 13 could include Peterson, Epps, Romero, Sykes, Allen, or Weiss

and other possible wing/posts drafted at 8 or 13 could include Coffey (probably gone by 8 but slightly possible) McCall, Ankhator, Osahor or Jackson.

and of course if still available at Conn's pick in the 3rd round S. Chong

I think Banham and Pedersen are out in front for those last two spots but I wouldn't relax if I were them. I'm not sure at this point of Stricklen is 100% safe either, I would think her size and range give her an upper hand but if coach is inspired by the youth he might move on from someone who hasn't ever really been more than OK.

Adams experience and skill set should make her pretty likely to make the team IMO, unless she has really flamed out.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/23/17 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
toad455 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

she has nimble feet, but no, speedy is not an adjective I would use for D. Adams. And her defense is almost non-existent.

I agree. Offense was never the problem for Adams. It was her defense. Teams could just do endless pick&rolls against her

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/23/17 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, the Sun now have 15 players on it's offseason/preseason roster. Is that the limit they are allowed to sign? If they bring in anyone else, one must get cut?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 4 of 18

Jump to: