RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Svetlana

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SportsPageMike

PostPosted: 04/18/05 8:31 pm    ::: Svetlana Reply Reply with quote

Ever since the Orlando team moved to Connecticut I have been hoping that the new owners would make a trade for my all-time favorite player in Svetlana Abrosimova.

Last season when the Sun had a high enough pick in the draft, I thought a trade might be made. I also thought that with having Sveta back in our state it would help draw more fans.

The Sun selected Lindsay Whalen, which turned out to be a blessing for our team and state. I am glad that that trade was not made.

We had an opportunity to sign Sveta as a free agent this year and we decided that it was not worth the cause apparently. However, we do have Katie Douglas who is the same type of player as Sveta.

Who knows maybe we will get another chance in the future.

PostPosted: 04/18/05 8:34 pm    ::: Re: Svetlana Reply Reply with quote

propose a trade. My ears are open.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/18/05 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minny was too quick to match the Mystics offer. Either they are willing to give her a chance or they're just way under the cap...

PostPosted: 04/18/05 8:37 pm    ::: A trade Reply Reply with quote

I would still trade Katie Douglas either even up or the Sun tosses in a 3rd round pick.

PostPosted: 04/18/05 8:42 pm    ::: Re: A trade Reply Reply with quote

SportsPageMike wrote:
I would still trade Katie Douglas either even up or the Sun tosses in a 3rd round pick.

Douglas straight up? I'd do that if I was the Lynx! Svet's been plagued with injuries and inconsistency in the WNBA.

Quote:
or they're just way under the cap

I think this is the case - a majority of the playing roster would be on a rookie salary or vet min/close to it. Apparently Kristi got a good deal from Minnesota.
wadethered

PostPosted: 04/18/05 9:05 pm    ::: Re: A trade Reply Reply with quote

SportsPageMike wrote:

Wait. The SUN tosses in a 3rd round pick??? More like the Lynx tosses in a third rounder and then some! I like Abrosimova, but she is no Katie Douglas.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/18/05 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the big question would be Svet's health. If healthy, I would take her over Katie.

PostPosted: 04/18/05 9:38 pm    ::: It not just the type of player Reply Reply with quote

I think that both Katie and Sveta are awesome and similar type players. I just believe that on a marketable standpoint, I believe the Sun could market Sveta and draw more fans to the Sun Arena. Katie is beautiful also, but Sveta kinda of grew up in this state and she is like everyone daughter sort to speak.

PostPosted: 04/18/05 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Abrosimova is a highly overrated player. She's nowhere near the player that Katie Douglas is.

PostPosted: 04/18/05 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Sun were smart, they would be, and would have been, marketing the hell out of Douglas. She is personable, attractive, well-spoken, and no matter how overtold it is has an inspiring and compelling life story. And on top of that, she is a heck of a ball player.

Of course, my avatar kind of gives my bias away.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/18/05 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We'll know that the league has changed when we don't see Katie's wedding pics on the frontpage of dot com.

PostPosted: 04/18/05 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Douglas is one of my favorite players in the league. Her story is undoubtedly inspiring, and her play is as well. Last year she was off in terms of shooting, but she does a lot of little things, and in my opinion is part of what made the Sun tick. I would assume her shooting will return to form, and she will look more like an All-Star.

I love Svet, her determination and hustle. She has an overall strong skill-set but has been marred by injuries and hasn't put together a completely strong season. Hopefully this is the year.

PostPosted: 04/19/05 8:24 am    ::: Douglas/Svet Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
Katie Douglas is one of my favorite players in the league. Her story is undoubtedly inspiring, and her play is as well. Last year she was off in terms of shooting, but she does a lot of little things, and in my opinion is part of what made the Sun tick. I would assume her shooting will return to form, and she will look more like an All-Star.

I love Svet, her determination and hustle. She has an overall strong skill-set but has been marred by injuries and hasn't put together a completely strong season. Hopefully this is the year.

With Katie Douglas you know what you get: great defense, a work ethic, and a streaky shooter who can make, or miss, five threes in a row. I like her play, and I assume she's been working on shooting consistency in the offseason-- the Sun kept describing her work on it during the year, and her shot did come back late in the season, though not in the championship games. 39% shooting, 35% from 3 (53-153), 79% FT last year; career 41%, 36%, 78%.

With Svet you never know, and when she doesn't show up you never know if it's emotional or physical. She reeeeaally wants to drive, whether or not it's a good idea at the time. (Also, a player who lives and dies by dribble penetration shouldn't be shooting under 65% from the line.) I know from hearing long-term UConn fans that there's a Platonic-ideal Svet who will knock our socks off-- this Svet is healthy, attentive, and emotionally ready to play-- but I've never seen her. Maybe I started watching too late. 35% shooting, 38% from 3 (20-53, a career high), 61% FT last year; career, 38%, 31%, 64%.

Right now I'd trade Svet for Douglas straight up.

That said, best of luck to Svet and her back this year: when she's "on," her drives are a pleasure to watch, and if she's completely healthy, who knows what she'll do?

Oh, and I have nothing against the dot-com promoting Douglas' wedding, as long as [name your favorite semi-closeted, but pretty clearly partnered-off, gay player] can plan a ceremony and get the same kind of treatment from the W. I like weddings.

therese_defarge

PostPosted: 04/20/05 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well I wouldn't be trading Svet. She's probably the second best Lynx player ever, yet just because she had a bad year mainly because of injuries you all want to dump on her. I look forward to Svet making you all eat your words.

PostPosted: 04/20/05 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Svet really hasn't had a year where she was injury free since she has been in the league. She was a risky pick in the first place because she was coming off an injury. She came out strong though. Her shooting numbers weren't high, but she proved she could be a scorer in the league. Her rebounding numbers were very high, and she seemed to put at least a jolt of intensity into the Lynx with miss steady Katie Smith as the leader.

Now, the Lynx are much improved as a team, and Svet still logs a good number of minutes for this solid team. I think she is similar to Katie Douglas in that she seems like a glue player. She is going to hustle for that one last ball. She is fearless. She never gives up.

I think all of her personal attributes are what makes it so hard to see her struggle. Besides the injuries, she has to deal with emotional stress. It can't be easy to be shunned by your country and booted off of the national team. It just seemed like Svet was in a very rough spot last season, not knowing what to do. I am glad she is in the states and with the Lynx. Hopefully she is rejuvenated, healthy, and ready to play this season.

PostPosted: 04/20/05 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with everything Alepp said.

Therese, yeah, I want to eat my words too. I'm a Lynx fan, Svet at her best is great fun to watch, and I hope this year's her best season ever. But I wasn't just talking about last year; I've been watching the Lynx seriously since the unlamented last days of Agler, and I don't think Svet's performance last year felt very different from her 2003. We've all been waiting for her to have a solid pro year which reflects her college potential. Hasn't happened yet, and it sounds like the year in which she came closest was her first year in the league (when I wasn't paying nearly as much attention as I do now).

sbjules

PostPosted: 04/20/05 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
If the Sun were smart, they would be, and would have been, marketing the hell out of Douglas. She is personable, attractive, well-spoken, and no matter how overtold it is has an inspiring and compelling life story. And on top of that, she is a heck of a ball player.

Of course, my avatar kind of gives my bias away.

Purdue is a team I always root for (anybody out of our conference that regularly plays a home & away series with UCSB is a team I root for), but man do I disagree with this one. Her life story is overtold, overtold, overtold, overtold & I could not stand her "dying quail" move after she made a basket at Purdue.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/20/05 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate to be the spoiler guys, and I understand this may not be the most popular statement amongst you guys, but KT is just not the friendliest person in the world (in CT). She rarely talks to the fans, doesn't sign a heckuva lot of autographs, and is pretty standoffish about being approached.

Talent wise her being more consistent would help, but when you have had Nykesha who is a master showperson, Debbie Blac who is the ultimate fan friendly player, Taj who is friendly, and Lindsay to push, KT just isn't going to be the face of the organization. Maybe with Debbie gone this year...

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/20/05 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interetest dts, but not super surprising to me. At Purdue she was always very charming with the media and while she was in the spotlight. But I had some classes with her, and on a personal basis she was not all that pleasant. I had hoped or assumed she would grow out of it, as most of us do, but I guess not. Too bad to hear.

My thought was that KT had all of the qualities superficially that would make her a good figure for the organization, but if she is missing the personality it would never work.

I am disappointed to hear that.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/20/05 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I hate to be the spoiler guys, and I understand this may not be the most popular statement amongst you guys, but KT is just not the friendliest person in the world (in CT). She rarely talks to the fans, doesn't sign a heckuva lot of autographs, and is pretty standoffish about being approached.

Talent wise her being more consistent would help, but when you have had Nykesha who is a master showperson, Debbie Blac who is the ultimate fan friendly player, Taj who is friendly, and Lindsay to push, KT just isn't going to be the face of the organization. Maybe with Debbie gone this year...

That's too bad about her lack of fan-friendliness, esp given how great the rest of the Sun has been in that department.

Katie is now the face of the Sun's defense, I guess.

What's all this about her life story? I wasn't following hoops at all closely when she was still in college.

gopher5

PostPosted: 04/20/05 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue fans can probably elaborate more, but she lost both of her parents to cancer when she was still in college.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/20/05 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="dtsnms"]I hate to be the spoiler guys, and I understand this may not be the most popular statement amongst you guys, but KT is just not the friendliest person in the world (in CT). She rarely talks to the fans, doesn't sign a heckuva lot of autographs, and is pretty standoffish about being approached.

Hey DTS, you beat me to the punch. She is one of my favorite players on-court but off-court forget about it. She doesn't seem to want anything to do with us, pretty much the opposite of Debbie Black.

I guess we all have different personalities and so do they. Different strokes as they say.

Judy

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/20/05 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="huskiemaniac"]
dtsnms wrote:

Hey DTS, you beat me to the punch. She is one of my favorite players on-court but off-court forget about it. She doesn't seem to want anything to do with us, pretty much the opposite of Debbie Black.

I guess we all have different personalities and so do they. Different strokes as they say.

Judy

Absolutely, Judy! Please don't get me wrong folks, she's not rude or anything like that. She just generally puts out an aura that she doesn't want to be bothered. You know, runs by the fans at the entrance, etc.

When we had the team open practice and autograph session, time "officially" ran out on the autograph session. Taj, Mike T. Debbie and Brooke stayed to finish everyone, KT got up and left people in line. That type of thing...

genesis1272

PostPosted: 04/20/05 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, I've had the pleasure of being in close proximity to Miss Douglas on 2 occasions, once in Phoenix and once at the reservation, she is not a very nice person, and I'm being kind. After the game in Phoenix, and after having wonderful interactions with 90% of the Mercury team (you guys are so lucky out there!!!), The Sun started coming out of the locker room. First was Sales, I had what must've been a 10 minute chat with her about the game and her hopes for the season, then came Katie, I said Hi, told her I loved her game, asked her for an autograph. She gave me the nastiest look, threw her duffel bag over her shoulder and kept on walking. Nothing. Ice Princess.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/20/05 2:26 pm    ::: Re: Svetlana Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure where Svet would play if she went to CONN though... The Sun already has Sales. I suppose you could play Svet at the 4, although I'd rather have Taj there, and putting Svet there is just asking her to get injured. Confused

Ideally, I would like to see my favorite Russian on a team where she can start and be the 3rd or 4th best player on the roster so she could play more free and I could watch her actually play, not just come on for backup minutes. Idea The places that fit that criteria are MIN, SEA and possibly WAS. Too bad Anne 'tight-wad' Donovan didn't extend a FA offer for Abrosimova... would have been nice to see that Sue-Svet combo again.. Wink

Rolling Eyes That hair...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: