RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Trump's Supreme Court Nominee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/27/17 11:28 pm    ::: Trump's Supreme Court Nominee Reply Reply with quote

Here's the place to speculate who the nominee will be, to bash him after nomination, and to root against him during the Senate confirmation process.

Yes . . . him.

Virtually all reports now say Trump has narrowed his list to three male federal Circuit Court of Appeals judges: William Pryor, Neil Gorsuch and Thomas Hardiman.

My hope is for Gorsuch. Not only is he a Columbia College and Harvard Law School guy, he also has a Ph.D. in Law from Oxford University in England. He clerked for Supreme Court Justices Whizzer White and Anthony Kennedy. Those are the best academic credentials of the troika.

Moreover, Gorsuch inches ahead of Pryor on the "Scalia-ness" scale, and both are significantly ahead of Hardiman, who happens to be a colleague of Trump's sister on the Third Circuit.

Finally, Gorsuch doesn't have the rhetorical baggage of Pryor, who called Roe v. Wade the “worst abomination in the history of constitutional law”. While his opinion may be righteously correct, it's much more helpful to have been politically correct when vying, politically, for a SCOTUS seat.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/28/17 4:55 pm    ::: Re: Trump's Supreme Court Nominee Reply Reply with quote

Because of Mitch McConnell's unprecedented unamerican actions, whoever it is will always be an illegitimate justice, and the Court will be illegitimate as long as that justice sits on the court.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/28/17 7:29 pm    ::: Re: Trump's Supreme Court Nominee Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Because of Mitch McConnell's unprecedented unamerican actions, whoever it is will always be an illegitimate justice, and the Court will be illegitimate as long as that justice sits on the court.

Well, then, we'll have a country where all three branches of government are illegitimate, half the country is unintelligent, unobjective and deplorable, and the other half is a bunch of intolerant and often violent whiners and crybabies.

This is known as American exceptionalism.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/28/17 10:55 pm    ::: Re: Trump's Supreme Court Nominee Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

I hope to God Democrats filibuster for the next four years. That's Obama's pick.

PostPosted: 01/28/17 11:22 pm    ::: Re: Trump's Supreme Court Nominee Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I hope to God Democrats filibuster for the next four years. That's Obama's pick.

The Republicans will just use the nuclear option.

PostPosted: 01/29/17 1:04 pm    ::: Re: Trump's Supreme Court Nominee Reply Reply with quote

Never mind. These people aren't worth it.

norwester

PostPosted: 02/01/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gorsuch it is.

PostPosted: 02/01/17 3:15 pm    ::: Re: Trump's Supreme Court Nominee Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Well, then, we'll have a country where all three branches of government are illegitimate, half the country is unintelligent, unobjective and deplorable, and the other half is a bunch of intolerant and often violent whiners and crybabies.

This is known as American exceptionalism.

Yes, exceptionally pitiful! Mad

PostPosted: 02/02/17 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect Trump to be making his second Supreme Court nomination next summer.
scullyfu

PostPosted: 02/02/17 9:22 am    ::: SCOTUS nominee Reply Reply with quote

is this guy really a 'mainstream' candidate? it all depends on how you define 'mainstream' I guess.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3mbTwLWAAAUXLo.jpg:large

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4182852/amp/Trump-s-SCOTUS-pick-founded-club-called-Fascism-Forever.html

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/02/trumps-supreme-court-pick-neil-gorsuch-and-womens-health.html

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/02/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone who condoned the Republican obstruction strategy employed throughout the Obama Administration deserves to rot in hell in whatever form it takes. If they now applaud the Republican stance of calling for cooperation from Democrats in order to avoid the incompetence of obstruction, they deserve doubly so.

Hopefully it will manifest as suffering from disease caused by relaxed pollution regulations and will be exacerbated by inability to get insurance coverage due to preexisting conditions.

Is that too harsh?

Not for these folks. Wink

PostPosted: 02/02/17 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thought this was a good roll-up of the guy from a lesbian/feminist website I frequent. The author doesn't like the guy much, but the content of the article is pretty fair and solidly based in facts, not rhetoric (i.e. I don't know if she proved her "slimeball" case).

It also shows that confirming this guy really doesn't change the court much from how it's been (prior to Scalia's passing), and things were ok then.

It's the next nominee I'm worried about.

Neil Gorsuch Is Trump’s Nominee for Supreme Court Justice, Also a Real Slimeball

PostPosted: 02/14/17 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitch McConnell was brilliant for holding up Obama's pick based on standards that were set generations back, and there was one in particular that a sitting President doesn't get a Supreme Court pic confirmed in his last year. I had never been a fan of Mitch in the past, but this move made his existence in Congress worth it. The balance of this country would have tipped in the WRONG direction, but because of his action, we will finally return to a majority where the PEOPLE rule, here the rule of law will prevail, and where appeals courts do not have the final ruling.

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/14/17 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Mitch McConnell was brilliant for holding up Obama's pick based on standards that were set generations back, and there was one in particular that a sitting President doesn't get a Supreme Court pic confirmed in his last year.

That is objectively false. It has been fact checked to death, and was the subject of an open letter signed by 300+ law professors of all political ideologies.

PostPosted: 02/14/17 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Mitch McConnell was brilliant for holding up Obama's pick based on standards that were set generations back, and there was one in particular that a sitting President doesn't get a Supreme Court pic confirmed in his last year.

That is objectively false. It has been fact checked to death, and was the subject of an open letter signed by 300+ law professors of all political ideologies.

Sounds like a bunch of whining to me! Fact is, this is not the first time that has happened, and will not be the last. The only real outrage here is that people who disagree with President Trump's politics are not the beneficiaries this time around.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/14/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Sounds like a bunch of whining to me! Fact is, this is not the first time that has happened, and will not be the last. The only real outrage here is that people who disagree with President Trump's politics are not the beneficiaries this time around.

Ok, then list the examples on which you are relying to claim this has happened before.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/14/17 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Mitch McConnell was brilliant for holding up Obama's pick based on standards that were set generations back, and there was one in particular that a sitting President doesn't get a Supreme Court pic confirmed in his last year. I had never been a fan of Mitch in the past, but this move made his existence in Congress worth it. The balance of this country would have tipped in the WRONG direction, but because of his action, we will finally return to a majority where the PEOPLE rule, here the rule of law will prevail, and where appeals courts do not have the final ruling.

Ronald Reagan had a Supreme Court justice confirmed during his last year in office...

PostPosted: 02/14/17 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Ronald Reagan had a Supreme Court justice confirmed during his last year in office...

Anthony Kennedy I believe. After Bork was rejected.

FDR did in the fourth year of his third term, I believe.

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/14/17 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/feb/14/marco-rubio/do-presidents-stop-nominating-judges-final-year/

Or, you know, we can just use "alternative facts".

PostPosted: 02/14/17 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/feb/14/marco-rubio/do-presidents-stop-nominating-judges-final-year/

Or, you know, we can just use "alternative facts".

Sounds like a bunch of whining to me! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: