RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/06/17 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
If you think she's an above average defender then that's fine. We cant agree on everything Surprised Wink

But i agree with you that if Toliver goes to another team it will be a very big loss for the Sparks

No loss imo. Kristi is gone to the Mystics. But LA has Gray who was excellent last year, they also have Riquna Williams who is better than Toliver plus the #4 draft pick. They are actually going to be a better team than last year as long as everyone stays healthy.

zune69

PostPosted: 02/06/17 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

No loss imo. Kristi is gone to the Mystics. But LA has Gray who was excellent last year, they also have Riquna Williams who is better than Toliver plus the #4 draft pick. They are actually going to be a better team than last year as long as everyone stays healthy.

Wow...are you serious ? ............Williams is a ball dominate shoot first guard.

How many games before sparks fans are screaming...."Pass Nneka the gotdamn basketball"

Last edited by zune69 on 02/06/17 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/06/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
If you think she's an above average defender then that's fine. We cant agree on everything Surprised Wink

But i agree with you that if Toliver goes to another team it will be a very big loss for the Sparks

Laughing Williams wasnt even better then Toliver before her big injury let alone now... Her career best from the field is 40,6 %. Thats like Tolivers average from 3point range Laughing She is a streaky high volume shooter that is best served as a 6th or 7th player off the bench to provide some scoring.

Toliver is shooting 45% from the field and 40% from behind the arc for her career. Let that just sink in for a minute..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
shontay33

PostPosted: 02/06/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Wow...are you serious ? ............Williams is a ball dominate shoot first guard.

How many games before sparks fans are screaming...."Pass Nneka the gotdamn basketball"

I highly doubt that Williams will start. Gray did a great job last season playing point guard. Williams is better suited for the two guard because of her scoring ability which I why I see Agler using her off the bench.

zune69

PostPosted: 02/06/17 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

I highly doubt that Williams will start. Gray did a great job last season playing point guard. Williams is better suited for the two guard because of her scoring ability which I why I see Agler using her off the bench.

Lets just hope Williams understands that she's not the #1 option.Forcing up bad shots will land her in Agler's doghouse.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/07/17 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My projected roster if Mitchell and DeShields declare and DAL takes Coates with #3:

DeShields picked #1 or #2
Gray/(One of Mitchell or Plum)
Carson/RWilliams
Beard/Dabovic
NOgwumike/Gruda
Parker/Lavender

Plum and Mitchell picked #1 and #2
Gray/Dabovic
Carson/RWilliams
Beard/DeShields
NOgwumike/Gruda
Parker/Lavender

I just went by Sparks roster designation for placing Parker at center. She's definitely a center on defense.... center of opposing team's offensive attention.

That's the fairly solid ten (a little shaky on Gruda). The rest would be filler from most likely foreign sources.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 02/07/17 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not gonna write Williams off completely.Betty Lennox had a reputation as a high voume low assist player.Yet,Anne Donovan was able to integrate Betty's individual talents into seattle's offensive system.Betty's two best fg% seasons was with seattle.She even won finals MVP.Williams was a big factor off the bench for Tulsa in 2015.On the positive side,Riquna had the best"Per".However,she also had a 26.9 usage rate.In fact,Williams has a career usage rate of 28.5.By comparison,Toliver's usage rate in 2016 was only 18.6,and has a career usage rate of 21.6.Williams will need to curtail her game and find a happy medium.

Edit:Lennox won finals MVP under Donovan,not Agler(correction made)

Last edited by zune69 on 02/07/17 1:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
zvyn3

PostPosted: 02/07/17 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
My projected roster if Mitchell and DeShields declare and DAL takes Coates with #3:

DeShields picked #1 or #2
Gray/(One of Mitchell or Plum)
Carson/RWilliams
Beard/Dabovic
NOgwumike/Gruda
Parker/Lavender

Plum and Mitchell picked #1 and #2
Gray/Dabovic
Carson/RWilliams
Beard/DeShields
NOgwumike/Gruda
Parker/Lavender

I just went by Sparks roster designation for placing Parker at center. She's definitely a center on defense.... center of opposing team's offensive attention.

That's the fairly solid ten (a little shaky on Gruda). The rest would be filler from most likely foreign sources.

I guess the Lynx didn't give her enough offensive attention in the Finals.

jewelsongs

PostPosted: 02/07/17 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A day has passed and I am still "Big Mopey" about losing my favorite Spark player.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/07/17 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jewelsongs wrote:
A day has passed and I am still "Big Mopey" about losing my favorite Spark player.

You still have "Big Mopey". You're just losing "Lil Mopey" with a chance to add "Mid Mopey".

pilight

PostPosted: 02/07/17 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Betty Lennox had a reputation as a high voume low assist player.Yet,Agler was able to integrate Betty's individual talents into seattle's offensive system.Betty's two best fg% seasons was with seattle.She even won finals MVP.

Agler was not able to do anything with Betty Lennox. She hates him, saying "Brian Agler to me is a liar and a con artist" when he shipped her out of Minnesota. She left Seattle as soon as he was named coach there. She won Finals MVP under Anne Donovan.

PostPosted: 02/07/17 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Betty Lennox had a reputation as a high voume low assist player.Yet,Agler was able to integrate Betty's individual talents into seattle's offensive system.Betty's two best fg% seasons was with seattle.She even won finals MVP.

Agler was not able to do anything with Betty Lennox. She hates him, saying "Brian Agler to me is a liar and a con artist" when he shipped her out of Minnesota. She left Seattle as soon as he was named coach there. She won Finals MVP under Anne Donovan.

Same team,different coach.Thanks for the correction.

If Agler traded Lennox,maybe he'll trade Williams.LA acquired Riquna before the Gray and Carson acquisitions.If Riquna didn't go down with a injury,would Carson have signed a contract with the sparks ?

Last edited by zune69 on 02/07/17 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
jewelsongs

PostPosted: 02/07/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
jewelsongs wrote:

You still have "Big Mopey". You're just losing "Lil Mopey" with a chance to add "Mid Mopey".

This made me smile, but still doesn't cheer me up. Thanks for trying!

UK1996

PostPosted: 02/07/17 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd hate to have Williams running the offense. I'd throw what I could at Mitchell and see if she would be willing to come to LA. Maybe offer Monica Wright, or wait in Schimmel to be waived. SWK is the best fit and best bet for replacing Beard in the future at #4

PostPosted: 02/07/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jewelsongs wrote:
Shades wrote:
jewelsongs wrote:

This made me smile, but still doesn't cheer me up. Thanks for trying!

Hopefully, Chelsea can pick up for Kristi as one of our premier downtown threats. She has a nice rainbow arc on her trey attempts that is very reminiscent of Tina Thompson's moon balls. Chelsea didn't shoot as many treys as she has in the past, including college, but she has potential there.

If Ana Dabovic is still going to be around, she has also shown the knack of nailing timely treys as she did in 2015.

PostPosted: 02/07/17 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still in withdrawal over Toliver leaving. Yes, I'm happy for her and she had every right to leave, but still sad. She was so critical to our success last year, and saw her improve year after year. I will use Rebkells to start my therapy.

Toliver is a big loss, but we have personnel ready to step up. Our depth chart should look like:

PG: Gray
SG: Beard/Williams
SF: Carson/Dabovic
PF: Ogwumike/Lavender
C: Parker/Gruda

I would not mind having Belyakova back. She was injured and didn't play much, but she is a vet, which our coach likes and is a good defender. I hope that Agler gives Dabovic a little more slack as she plays great when she is given some latitude, but is completely ineffective with too many restrictions. Her defense is pretty bad, but if she can make plays on the other end, then it would offset somewhat.

I think getting a backup PG is necessary, and possibly one more big, and then the roster is good to go.

Let's go Sparks!!
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/07/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Counting on Gruda to show up seems a little overconfident. She's played one-and-a-bit WNBA seasons in the last six, and it's a EuroBasket Women year.

Y'know, even ignoring how useless and disinterested she's looked in recent WNBA appearances.

PostPosted: 02/07/17 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Same team,different coach.Thanks for the correction.

If Agler traded Lennox,maybe he'll trade Williams.LA acquired Riquna before the Gray and Carson acquisitions.If Riquna didn't go down with a injury,would Carson have signed a contract with the sparks ?

What's interesting is that Agler tried and failed to convert SG Betty Lennox into a PG in MIN, but Agler succeeded into turning SG Toliver into a PG... (Ross also tried to convert SG Toliver into a PG for ~2 years with some success). Shocked

Shades

PostPosted: 02/07/17 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Frese On Toliver
"As one of the nation's top point guards, Kristi is expected to do great things for us again this season. Few players have the natural stroke and court vision she has. She is able to see the floor, adapt quickly to changes in the defense and leads by example. She has a real knack for the game. Going into her senior year, Kristi has been working incredibly hard on and off the court to ensure it is as exciting and rewarding as her freshman year. I'm really excited to see how she's grown in the past three years, becoming a leader for our players both on and off the court."

Quote:
Name something fun you did this summer.
I went to Point Guard College.

Name something you can't live without...
My PGC journal.

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=207387028&DB_OEM_ID=29700

sigur3

PostPosted: 02/07/17 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tiffany Jackson-Jones is back, now with Los Angeles. Awesome.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/07/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Very cool Smile

Interesting choice of team though.

PostPosted: 02/07/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carson is staying in LA. Cool

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/07/17 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

Very cool Smile

It seems like a good fit to me. With Parker, Ogwumike and Lavender getting most of the minutes at the 4 and the 5 LA needs a veteran post who can come in, play hard 10-15 minutes a night without too much drop off. TJJ can do that, without the pressure or strain that comes playing more minutes for a struggling or up and coming team. Also LA doesn't need to worry about bringing Gruda or the other internationals they had last year who didn't seem to have Agler's trust anyway when it came to crunch time.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/07/17 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This team is solid. Really didn't need Toliver to stay.

PG: Gray/#4 pick
SG: Beard/Williams/Dabovic
SF: Carson/Dubljevic
PF: Ogwumike/Jackson-Jones
C: Parker/Lavender

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/07/17 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

Very cool Smile

It seems like a good fit to me. With Parker, Ogwumike and Lavender getting most of the minutes at the 4 and the 5 LA needs a veteran post who can come in, play hard 10-15 minutes a night without too much drop off. TJJ can do that, without the pressure or strain that comes playing more minutes for a struggling or up and coming team. Also LA doesn't need to worry about bringing Gruda or the other internationals they had last year who didn't seem to have Agler's trust anyway when it came to crunch time.

I always think of her as being a 4, which seems like the last position that LA needs extra help at, and therefore maybe not the optimum use of salary space (cue the comments about that never irrelevant in LA ...), but I don't disagree that if they're going to sign another player to the front court she's a nice choice. Yeah, Gruda was thoroughly uninspiring last season. At least you know TJJ is going to bring effort. And can probably play some minutes at the 5 against some teams if needed.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 8 of 21

Jump to: