RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Free Agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 01/23/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

Btw, can someone tell me the root of the idea that Toliver won't re-sign with LA? I'm not "hearing" it as strongly here as other places, but it really doesn't make sense...finally getting that 'ship, great team chemistry and she plays a critically important role on the squad. They depend on her and with Gray, have gotten her help at the PG spot. I've seen speculation about her going to Phx, I suppose because she is playing with BG and DT but her role is greatly reduced in Russia and I don't get a sense of how connected she really feels to them. She seems to be an extremely loyal person and between hearing her at the post championship celebration sharing how she ended up in LA and remembering her talk about being in tears when having to leave her team when she was trying to help Slovakia qualify for the World championships (I believe), I don't see her leaving. With Riquna being healthy and rumors about D. Rob coming to LA, she can comfortably move over to the 2 and play her natural position. We shall see!

I haven’t seen these posts, but I could provide some theories:

1) Toliver is the most prominent unrestricted free agent available who is still sort of in her prime. As such, she is going to draw the most attention from fans and the media. It may just be wishful thinking or fun speculation, but that’s what we do in the off-season.

2) Toliver is from Virginia, so she’s a long way from home. Going home is a frequent reason for players switching teams.

3) Winning a championship usually makes players want to come back for more, but it can also make them feel like that goal is crossed off their list and they don’t need to worry about it anymore.

4) Chelsea Gray is LA’s point guard of the future, and the way she played at the end of the season suggests she may be ready now. Maybe Toliver wants to leave on her own before she is forced out.

PostPosted: 01/23/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

Btw, can someone tell me the root of the idea that Toliver won't re-sign with LA? I'm not "hearing" it as strongly here as other places, but it really doesn't make sense...finally getting that 'ship, great team chemistry and she plays a critically important role on the squad. They depend on her and with Gray, have gotten her help at the PG spot. I've seen speculation about her going to Phx, I suppose because she is playing with BG and DT but her role is greatly reduced in Russia and I don't get a sense of how connected she really feels to them. She seems to be an extremely loyal person and between hearing her at the post championship celebration sharing how she ended up in LA and remembering her talk about being in tears when having to leave her team when she was trying to help Slovakia qualify for the World championships (I believe), I don't see her leaving. With Riquna being healthy and rumors about D. Rob coming to LA, she can comfortably move over to the 2 and play her natural position. We shall see!

I haven’t seen these posts, but I could provide some theories:

1) Toliver is the most prominent unrestricted free agent available who is still sort of in her prime. As such, she is going to draw the most attention from fans and the media. It may just be wishful thinking or fun speculation, but that’s what we do in the off-season.

2) Toliver is from Virginia, so she’s a long way from home. Going home is a frequent reason for players switching teams.

3) Winning a championship usually makes players want to come back for more, but it can also make them feel like that goal is crossed off their list and they don’t need to worry about it anymore.

4) Chelsea Gray is LA’s point guard of the future, and the way she played at the end of the season suggests she may be ready now. Maybe Toliver wants to leave on her own before she is forced out.

LOL Toliver Will not be forced out of anywhere . Gray & Toliver can play together as they showed last season . Maybe just waiting too see how much value she possibly has though could be a reason .

PostPosted: 01/23/17 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see why the Sparks would risk tinkering with what they got now, other than maybe upgrading some bench pieces, unless their hand was forced. The core players probably feel the same. Are people speculating that Agler's all in on Chelsea Gray and feels Tolliver is expendable? Toliver's improved play last season was one of the keys to the Sparks improving, imo.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/23/17 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming all these returning players want the max (or close to it), it's going to be a bit of a tight cap exercise in LA as well. Remember, Riquna Williams's contract came off the cap when she got hurt and they suspended her last year, so that's back now. Which means they've now got Parker, Ogwumike, Lavender, Toliver, Beard, Carson and Williams all on top-end contracts. It's just about do-able, but it doesn't leave much wiggle room.

PostPosted: 01/23/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

LOL Toliver Will not be forced out of anywhere . Gray & Toliver can play together as they showed last season . Maybe just waiting too see how much value she possibly has though could be a reason .

If Gray is going to get more minutes, they have to come from somewhere -- Toliver, Beard or Carson. It's a zero sum game. You also have Riquana coming back, and the best pick at #4 is likely to be a guard. So while it's likely Toliver returns, it's hardly a no-brainer. As for checking her value, Toliver is going to get max. If LA doesn't give it to her, then someone else will. But if LA doesn't want to do it, then it's not such a LOL situation anymore is it?

PostPosted: 01/23/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Assuming all these returning players want the max (or close to it), it's going to be a bit of a tight cap exercise in LA as well. Remember, Riquna Williams's contract came off the cap when she got hurt and they suspended her last year, so that's back now. Which means they've now got Parker, Ogwumike, Lavender, Toliver, Beard, Carson and Williams all on top-end contracts. It's just about do-able, but it doesn't leave much wiggle room.

They can learn from the Lynx and go with 11. Why would the Sparks need 12, like they'd ever use them in game situations, and they can use men for practice.

Last edited by Shades on 01/26/17 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 01/23/17 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

If Gray is going to get more minutes, they have to come from somewhere -- Toliver, Beard or Carson. It's a zero sum game. You also have Riquana coming back, and the best pick at #4 is likely to be a guard. So while it's likely Toliver returns, it's hardly a no-brainer. As for checking her value, Toliver is going to get max. If LA doesn't give it to her, then someone else will. But if LA doesn't want to do it, then it's not such a LOL situation anymore is it?

Williams is coming off an injury so she will have to prove herself to be getting solid minutes off the bench and in Aglers rotation. She will bring some scoring and energy off the bench but i dont see her getting more then 15-18 min if Toliver, Beard and Carson are all re signed.

Beard was healthy all of last season and averaged 29 minutes. Her highest since 2012. If Agler wants to keep her healthy he should bring her minutes down a bit this season(to 25 min). Also i would have to see first if Carson can be as effective as she was last season.
So a guard rotation of Gray (PG) Williams at the 2 shouldnt be a problem at all. Certainly not with the length of Gray who is able to guard 2's if she is in good shape. The player will see even less minutes with the return of Williams is Dabovic. Is Agler going to trade her? Play her at the SF position Or is she not coming over this season because of Eurobasket?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/24/17 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

LA Will give her the Max and this conversation will be Null & Void . Carson or Beard are most likely to see the decline in Minutes for Grays Uprising . The Situation is still LOL

PostPosted: 01/24/17 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

LA Will give her the Max and this conversation will be Null & Void . Carson or Beard are most likely to see the decline in Minutes for Grays Uprising . The Situation is still LOL

PostPosted: 01/25/17 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
So what's the diffence between being a reserve or restricted free agent?

I rather have Tolo back than Gruda as backup post player. I wouldn't mind seeing Jelena D and Ana Dabovic resigned.

Indeed, it will be interesting to see if Tolo comes back. I still like Gruda's game and believe the connection she's building with Lav will be quite beneficial. Jelena had some good minutes when she got them (rarely) and Ana seemed to have taken a step back from 2015. The chemistry in LA was so good that in theory, I would love to see everyone back, but they definitely need folks that Coach will play.

I don't see KT leaving especially to go to Phx after the mess they were last season. Also like you said staying in LA gives her good chance to get another ring.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 01/25/17 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
So what's the diffence between being a reserve or restricted free agent?

I rather have Tolo back than Gruda as backup post player. I wouldn't mind seeing Jelena D and Ana Dabovic resigned.

Reserve players are not free agents. They can't talk to any team other than their current one.
Thanks, so kinda like the core tag.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/26/17 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The "Player Movement Central" page is now up on the main page on .com.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 01/28/17 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to to Mo Currie's twitter, @womensbball247 (I have no idea how the Stars/league let her have it) she's claiming the Mystics are targeting another "big name free agent". Larkins, most likely. Possibly Toliver, but I doubt she'd leave LA.

PostPosted: 01/28/17 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
According to to Mo Currie's twitter, @womensbball247 (I have no idea how the Stars/league let her have it) she's claiming the Mystics are targeting another "big name free agent". Larkins, most likely. Possibly Toliver, but I doubt she'd leave LA.

Toliver makes more sense.

Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 01/28/17 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:

Toliver makes more sense.

Since she's from VA, maybe she'd be interested in signing in DC if the Mystics EDD trade goes through. I was thinking maybe Thibault would get Larkins as a Dolson replacement, but she's short for a C.

PostPosted: 01/28/17 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:

It's a shared handle, if I recall correctly.

I don't know if I'd categorize Erlana Larkins as a big name free agent, but heaven knows Mike Thibault knows how to use physical, somewhat undersized posts.

(now with spelling variations)
Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 01/28/17 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:

I don't know if I'd categorize Erlana Larkins as a big name free agent, but heaven knows Mike Thibault knows how to use physical, somewhat undersized posts.

Someone told me it was Mo, but it def makes sense if it's shared, because sometimes the grammar and overall language is different. You're right about Larkins not being "big name", but she's one of the better UFAs. I could see Thibault going after her

PostPosted: 01/28/17 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:

Someone told me it was Mo, but it def makes sense if it's shared, because sometimes the grammar and overall language is different. You're right about Larkins not being "big name", but she's one of the better UFAs. I could see Thibault going after her

It's shared and many of the posts are by "Andrew" who also updes them on here (awhom111, I believe)

Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/28/17 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:

If the trade is as written, they'll absolutely need another starter due to losing 2 posts to Eurobasket. That goes double if Delle Donne's Lyme flare-up extends into June. Since Amber Cox posted something about looking forward to working with Jasmine Thomas, I'm taking that as a sign that she is returning to the Sun. So that leaves Larkins, Kristi Toliver and perhaps Plenette Pierson as the players I'd qualify as "big." There's also the cored players - Little and Langhorne - who might command some interest in a sign-and-trade.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/28/17 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:

Where do you see Thibault playing Delle Donne?

Vaughn
Delle Donne
One of Meesseman/Dolson
Sanders
Larkins? Why?

I would think Larkins first loyalty would be to IND, similar to Catchings.
IND is the first club to believe in Larkins and have kept her on despite shortcoming. Anything's possible I suppose, but it's hard for me to see Larkins going from her situation in IND to a crowded front court in WAS.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/28/17 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indy was my first guess for Larkins, but now I'm thinking SA, no reason, (except that SA needs a decent back up or starting center, depending on your opinion of Alexander) just a feeling.

Trogro2

PostPosted: 01/28/17 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've heard rumblings of De Souza to SA as a free agent. I hope the into that Currie gave about washington isn't true

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 01/29/17 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:

The posts on the website is shared with Rebkell's Awhom111. But the twitter feed is Mo.

PostPosted: 02/01/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Called it on Larkins. She re-sign with IND, as does Poison Pill.
http://fever.wnba.com/news/fever-re-sign-erlana-larkins-erica-wheeler/

Shades

PostPosted: 02/01/17 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CORE PLAYERS
DeWanna Bonner (Phoenix)
Crystal Langhorne (Seattle)
Camille Little (Connecticut)
Angel McCoughtry (Atlanta)
Tanisha Wright (New York)

RESERVED PLAYERS
Farhiya Abdi (Los Angeles)
Rebecca Allen (New York)
Valeriane Ayayi (San Antonio)
Vicki Baugh (San Antonio)
Tiffany Bias (Dallas)
Abby Bishop (Seattle)
Sydney Colson (San Antonio)
Anna Cruz (Minnesota)
Ana Dabovic (Los Angeles)
Clarissa Dos Santos (Chicago)
Jelena Dubljevic (Los Angeles)
Cayla George (Phoenix)
Keisha Hampton (Minnesota)
Haley Peters (San Antonio)
Sonja Petrovic (Phoenix)
Meighan Simmons (Atlanta)
Marianna Tolo (Los Angeles)
Erica Wheeler IND
Marta Xargay (Phoenix)

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
Kayla Alexander (sa)
Alex Bentley (Connecticut)
Kelsey Bone (Phoenix)
Layshia Clarendon (Atlanta)
Elena Delle Donne (Chicago)
Kelly Faris (Connecticut)
Brittney Griner (Phoenix)
Sandrine Gruda (Los Angeles)
Tayler Hill (Washington)
Kayla Pedersen (Connecticut)
Jeanette Pohlen (Indiana)
Sugar Rodgers (New York)
Tierra Ruffin-Pratt (Washington)
Krystal Thomas (Seattle)

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
Mistie Bass
Alana Beard
Essence Carson
Erika de Souza
Markeisha Gatling
Whitney Knight
Erlana Larkins IND
Janel McCarville
Leilani Mitchell
Plenette Pierson
Asia Taylor
Jasmine Thomas
Kristi Toliver
Ann Wauters
Monica Wright

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: