RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

And its Official Time for the 2017 Hot Seat ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 01/16/17 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
--but they also lost to Milwaukee, St. Francis and IDAHO STATE.

This is not a promising start.

Idaho State is actually pretty tough this year....no shame there; they've beaten St. Mary's and Wazzoo this year, among others

But I think Tsipsis has to have a longer grace period than his first season.

PostPosted: 01/16/17 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:
Jen Hoover?
Audra Smith?
Joanne Boyle?
Sharon Versyp?

I would imagine yes, yes, yes and yes.

Poor Wake. You'd hope they'd have a breakout year by now. ACC is brutal.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/16/17 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Florida is turrible.

Florida would have been pretty decent had not Christinaki pulled that prima donna move and stomped off. That's the danger of building your offense around one good player. And of course her defection probably demoralized the team.

As for Penn State, I see some improvement this year. The lower half of the B1G has a ways to go, but PSU may be near the top of that half.

Not the first time that tune has played in G'Ville. It maybe the last time

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 01/17/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Caldwell had such a good thing going at UCLA, should've never left. That program would be a consistent final four contender. Love Cori Close, but Nikki had something special started.
Understandable that she wanted to be in the south, but too bad it didn't work out the way for her like it has for Dawn Staley or Jeff Walz or other younger coaches.

The difference in pay alone over the term of her 2 contracts at LSU as compared to her salary at UCLA have justified her decision. She should be able to live comfortably after 2019 for several years without a job if it comes to that.

I don't disagree that she had a good thing going at UCLA. She certainly did.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/17/17 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Cynthia Cooper at USC? She's never easy to get along with, and they're 1-3 in conference.

I bet it's hard to fire someone whose number is hanging from the rafters of the gym in which she's coaching.

Cooper's still getting very good recruits. I imagine the administration will give her plenty of time to right the ship.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 01/17/17 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Terri Williams is safe. She's popular and they are 13-5, 3-1 and barring a complete disaster or injury, will be in the mix of the 7-8 SEC teams for the NCAAs.

Seems they've recruited some size (some) for next year, too.

If she wins 2 out of 3 of the upcoming games, she is safe. Its difficult to know whether or not that is a good thing long term, but it is the sensible thing to do with positive results. The problem is the near total loss of point production from this season to the next. This staff MUST do a better job recruiting. They are simply not a force on the recruiting trail and if that doesn't change, it will result in the program's inability to go beyond simply making the NCAA Tournament. The team has played 4 ranked teams this year and has lost every game. Ms State has now established itself as an elite SEC team and UGA has an incoming recruiting class that is better than any recruiting class I have seen that program haul in over a decade. Gymnastics is selling out the Arena and women's softball has now added additional bleachers due to thousands of requests for season tickets. The support is there.

She is popular because she is genuinely a very nice person with a very nice family. Personally, I also believe that she is a good Xs and Os coach. She is held back by recruiting and a stubbornness to adjust her style of play. When she was introduced, she described the program as a "gold mine" with everything needed to compete at the highest level. She was right. This is year 5 and we have been to one NCAA Tournament in those five. This year could be the second. I think even she would agree that the expectations are higher.

If she gets an extension, I believe that it will be a 3 year extension, thereby providing financial security for her and an affordable buyout should things go south next year.

As for Tennessee, after the Notre Dame win I think its safe to say that Holly can be removed from the list. Add to that the incredible class that is coming in and any other conclusion would seem to be unlikely.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 01/17/17 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Cynthia Cooper at USC? She's never easy to get along with, and they're 1-3 in conference.

I bet it's hard to fire someone whose number is hanging from the rafters of the gym in which she's coaching.

Cooper's still getting very good recruits. I imagine the administration will give her plenty of time to right the ship.
USC is now 1 and 5 in the Pac 12. Loses to UCLA this week would put them at 1-7. What good is getting recruits if you cant coach them, or in her case keep them.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/17/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
ClayK wrote:

USC is now 1 and 5 in the Pac 12. Loses to UCLA this week would put them at 1-7. What good is getting recruits if you cant coach them, or in her case keep them.

Maybe this is reference moreso to the recent recruits? Higgins is a freshman and they just signed two McDonald's All Americans. Now that USC's AD is Marcus Allen a fellow SC legend, maybe he will be more patient with a peer of his. Were they at SC in overlapping time periods?

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/17/17 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Now that USC's AD is Marcus Allen a fellow SC legend, maybe he will be more patient with a peer of his. Were they at SC in overlapping time periods?

Fwiw, USC's AD is Lynn Swann. Swann left SC in '74. Cooper left SC in '86. So they were about a decade apart.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/17/17 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Now that USC's AD is Marcus Allen a fellow SC legend, maybe he will be more patient with a peer of his. Were they at SC in overlapping time periods?

Fwiw, USC's AD is Lynn Swann. Swann left SC in '74. Cooper left SC in '86. So they were about a decade apart.

Confused I knew it was a USC football legend but picked the wrong one! Thanks for giving the right info.

I still think one USC hall of famer would if anything be more patient with a fellow USC hall of famer but who knows?

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/20/17 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We've gotten a handful of conference games under our belt, so here are some teams doing poorly and don't have relatively new coaches. Tried to only list people who will have been at their school 5 years after this year.

Florida: 9-9 (0-5). Coach there since 2007-2008
Bowling Green: 5-13 (1-5). Coach there since 2012-2013.
Florida Atlantic: 4-13 (0-6). Coach there since 2012-2013.
Illinois-Chicago: 3-15 (0-7). Coach there since 2011-2012.
Valparaiso: 5-13 (0-7). Coach there since 2012-2013.
Boston College: 8-11 (1-5). Coach there since 2012-2013.
North Carolina: 12-7 (1-5). Coach there since 1986-1987.

There are coaches who may be on the hotseat but since they are not at the bottom of their league right now I'll hold off on mentioning those schools.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 01/20/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Added contract lengths (to knowledge) ... not that always means security, but more likely in WBB than say MBB

Durantula wrote:
We've gotten a handful of conference games under our belt, so here are some teams doing poorly and don't have relatively new coaches. Tried to only list people who will have been at their school 5 years after this year.

Florida: 9-9 (0-5). Coach there since 2007-2008 - Contract through 2018-19
Bowling Green: 5-13 (1-5). Coach there since 2012-2013. - Contract through 2018-19
Florida Atlantic: 4-13 (0-6). Coach there since 2012-2013. Contract up this year
Illinois-Chicago: 3-15 (0-7). Coach there since 2011-2012. Contract through 2017-18
Valparaiso: 5-13 (0-7). Coach there since 2012-2013. Contract through 2017-18
Boston College: 8-11 (1-5). Coach there since 2012-2013. Contract through 2018-19
North Carolina: 12-7 (1-5). Coach there since 1986-1987. Contract through 2019-20

There are coaches who may be on the hotseat but since they are not at the bottom of their league right now I'll hold off on mentioning those schools.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/21/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:
Added contract lengths (to knowledge) ... not that always means security, but more likely in WBB than say MBB

Durantula wrote:

Florida: 9-9 (0-5). Coach there since 2007-2008 - Contract through 2018-19
Bowling Green: 5-13 (1-5). Coach there since 2012-2013. - Contract through 2018-19
Florida Atlantic: 4-13 (0-6). Coach there since 2012-2013. Contract up this year
Illinois-Chicago: 3-15 (0-7). Coach there since 2011-2012. Contract through 2017-18
Valparaiso: 5-13 (0-7). Coach there since 2012-2013. Contract through 2017-18
Boston College: 8-11 (1-5). Coach there since 2012-2013. Contract through 2018-19
North Carolina: 12-7 (1-5). Coach there since 1986-1987. Contract through 2019-20

Great info, well it looks like most of those schools will retain their coaches. You used to post the contracts ending in the current year, any chance you can do that for 2016-2017? Any notable jobs with contracts ending after the season?

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 01/22/17 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what I have:

Interims:
Northern Arizona - Robyne Bostick - Interim
Grambling State - Freddie Murray - Interim
Morgan State - Ed Davis - Interim

Contracts ending in 2016-17 per internet new releases I have found:
Eastern Illinois - Debbie Black
Hawaii - Laura Beeman
FAU - Kellie Lewis-Jay
Auburn - Terri Williams-Flournoy
NC Central - Vanessa Taylor
Western Illinois - JD Gravina
UNLV - Kathy Olivier
Idaho State - Seton Sobolewski
Northwestern - Joe McKeown
Central CT State - Beryl Piper
Florida Gulf Coast - Karl Smesko
Southern - Sandy Pugh
Arkansas State - Brian Boyer
Delaware - Tina Martin

Obviously not sure if any 1 year extension were received along way or anything like that. Could have missed something obviously too.

Last edited by thefutureisbright on 01/23/17 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/22/17 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt Insell reportedly has a contract extension through 2018-19.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041515aab.html

Howee

PostPosted: 01/23/17 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:

Contracts ending in 2016-17 per internet new releases I have found:
Florida Gulf Coast - Karl Smesko
Delaware - Tina Martin

I LOVE Karl. I would have loved to see him get the Ohio State job over Kevin. Karl deserves a much bigger stage.

Tina? I think she'll ride her EDD Glory Dayz for a few more years, til she retires.

PostPosted: 01/23/17 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barb Smith at Illinois State University hasn't won much at all in her tenure at ISU...a once very proud program under Jill Hutchison...only had really one winning coach since she left the program on a year-in-year out basis and Robyn left for Missouri...

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 01/23/17 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks! Removed from the list

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Matt Insell reportedly has a contract extension through 2018-19.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041515aab.html

warladytigers

PostPosted: 01/27/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
joetro wrote:
Coach Flo at Auburn?

Her seat will be scorching by the end of January. Lack of recruiting and style of play will be her downfall.

And many more games like the last two - as a fan it's really hard to even watch.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/27/17 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

remind me again why Gottlieb is not on the hot seat. It's like every year is a new excuse. Not sure what it is this year....

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 01/27/17 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
remind me again why Gottlieb is not on the hot seat. It's like every year is a new excuse. Not sure what it is this year....

Myrtle she's pregnant. Ease up

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Durantula

PostPosted: 01/28/17 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Because she's taken them to the Final 4, has won over 60% of her conference games, and made the NCAA tournament 4 years in a row until last year. People teams can go in a slump for a year or two, injuries and other things factor in. Like there are so many coaches who have done less than she has, its not even close to hot seat in my eyes. Also she is just a fit from a campus perspective from what I can tell. Her personality just is a good fit for the Berkeley lifestyle and I am guessing her administration really likes her.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/28/17 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She also just signed a contract extension in October that runs through the 2020-2021 season. This was after a season some Trump-like people would consider a disaster.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree she seems to be a really NICE person, but her teams have underperformed consistently, and not by just a little bit. I had hopes this year because it seemed they finally had a couple of shooters that would open up the middle a bit for Anigwe. I like Thomas. Range and Cowling are very athletic. And Davidson has been better than expected. It's like they have all the pieces and just can't put it together. THat's the part that drives me nuts. They're currently 3-6 in P12 and that's because they got to play Arizona twice. Since they also get to play Colo/Utah twice (split the first time) they have a chance to end at 9-9 if they win every game that it looks possible for them to win. I'm guessing more likely 8-10 or even 7-11. For the amount of talent, this is (to me) simply unacceptable.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/28/17 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I agree she seems to be a really NICE person, but her teams have underperformed consistently, and not by just a little bit. I had hopes this year because it seemed they finally had a couple of shooters that would open up the middle a bit for Anigwe. I like Thomas. Range and Cowling are very athletic. And Davidson has been better than expected. It's like they have all the pieces and just can't put it together. THat's the part that drives me nuts. They're currently 3-6 in P12 and that's because they got to play Arizona twice. Since they also get to play Colo/Utah twice (split the first time) they have a chance to end at 9-9 if they win every game that it looks possible for them to win. I'm guessing more likely 8-10 or even 7-11. For the amount of talent, this is (to me) simply unacceptable.

I will say this. She certainly has a die-hard group of supporters who leap to her defense whenever anyone watches them play and then wonders how she keeps her job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: