RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

And its Official Time for the 2017 Hot Seat ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/15/16 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

PS Nobody seems to mention that the final 4 run was with inherited players.

To get to that final four, they also got some incredibly lucky matchups because of a couple upsets by other teams. In order to get to the final four, they ended up beating unranked Fresno St, unranked South Florida, unranked LSU, and 14th ranked Georgia. Not a single top 10 team. How long can she live off of that one final four appearance?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/15/16 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

PS Nobody seems to mention that the final 4 run was with inherited players.

To get to that final four, they also got some incredibly lucky matchups because of a couple upsets by other teams. In order to get to the final four, they ended up beating unranked Fresno St, unranked South Florida, unranked LSU, and 14th ranked Georgia. Not a single top 10 team. How long can she live off of that one final four appearance?

Not like her predecessor made the Final Four with a good amount of talent and McDonald's All-Americans. Her predecessor made the NCAAs four times in six years, with only two years going past the first round and one Sweet 16 appearance (with the senior laden team of Devanei Hampton, etc.).

In her first five seasons, Gottlieb made the NCAAs four times, making at least the second round every time. Only once beyond the second round, like her predecessor, but it was a Final Four.

And Boyle's last two years at Cal did not involve going to the NCAAs. Not like Gottlieb took over a team that was coming off a 25-win season; she took over a team that went 18-16.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/15/16 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:
Did someone say Tennessee ????

Special case. Holly represents a legacy and firing her would seen by many in the LV community as a rejection of that legacy.

Besides, she has BTB E8 appearances that balance last year's regular season ugliness. And a highly touted class coming in.

Also there wil be a new AD after June. (Thanks be to all the gods) One thinks there could hardly be any worse than Hammy and Heartless Dave, but then, you never really know, do you? UT is also getting a new chancellor. Jimmy the Cheek and Heartless Dave were hand-in-pocket buddies with DEEP Alabama connections. The new chancellor is from University of Cincinnati.

I will say it..... There cannot be any worse than Dave Hart. Tennessee was better off with the good ole boy he replaced. There are so many quality ADs that would walk to Tennessee for that job... I don't know why they don't hire a good fit this time/

I agree with you. I didn't like Hammy at all, thought he was just incompetent, but Heartless Dave...well, that's what he is. NO respect for tradition or for anyone's feelings. Just a complete nasty piece of work. I know there is a groundswell for Philip Fulmer but I doubt he'd take the position after how he was treated. I'd just like to see one who would have some respect for the place.

PostPosted: 12/19/16 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

re: UNC I highly doubt Sylvia goes anywhere until the admin finds out what the exact NCAA sanctions will be on wbb and for how long. Nobody wants to walk into a job blind & w/o knowing the score.

joetro

PostPosted: 12/23/16 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach Flo at Auburn?

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 12/23/16 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:
Coach Flo at Auburn?

Her seat will be scorching by the end of January. Lack of recruiting and style of play will be her downfall.

Durantula

PostPosted: 12/23/16 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kool-aide wrote:
re: UNC I highly doubt Sylvia goes anywhere until the admin finds out what the exact NCAA sanctions will be on wbb and for how long. Nobody wants to walk into a job blind & w/o knowing the score.

This is in the news again, so at this point its not going away anytime soon. Given Hatchell's age and the fact that she's had some health issues, it could be feasible that she retires on her own before the NCAA ever finalizes their review of UCN. Note: Hatchell and/or her program are not cited in this article.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article122420449.html

pilight

PostPosted: 12/23/16 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
joetro wrote:
Coach Flo at Auburn?

Her seat will be scorching by the end of January. Lack of recruiting and style of play will be her downfall.

In terms of style of play, they knew what they were getting when they hired her. Even when her Georgetown teams were good they weren't exactly dynamic. If they manage .500 in SEC play again she'll be safe.

PostPosted: 12/23/16 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
joetro wrote:
Coach Flo at Auburn?

In terms of style of play, they knew what they were getting when they hired her. Even when her Georgetown teams were good they weren't exactly dynamic. If they manage .500 in SEC play again she'll be safe.

I agree that they knew what they were getting when they hired her. I don't think going .500 in SEC play will be enough though. Last year it was enough, but she is coaching in the last year of her 5 year deal. If an extension was likely, she would have been extended prior to the last signing period. Without having to take a financial hit, the AD is much more likely to make a change. She is well connected, runs a clean program, her players do well academically and they play hard. All those things, in addition to the fact that its Auburn, mean that she will be treated respectfully and given every opportunity to succeed. That being said, she makes close to $500,000 a year. The athletic department is finishing the highest revenue year in history. Women's softball and gymnastics have seen sell out crowds and record participation. There is a real desire to see women's basketball taste that success as well and the money is there to attract candidates to the program.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/24/16 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
pilight wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
joetro wrote:
Coach Flo at Auburn?

I agree that they knew what they were getting when they hired her. I don't think going .500 in SEC play will be enough though. Last year it was enough, but she is coaching in the last year of her 5 year deal. If an extension was likely, she would have been extended prior to the last signing period. Without having to take a financial hit, the AD is much more likely to make a change. She is well connected, runs a clean program, her players do well academically and they play hard. All those things, in addition to the fact that its Auburn, mean that she will be treated respectfully and given every opportunity to succeed. That being said, she makes close to $500,000 a year. The athletic department is finishing the highest revenue year in history. Women's softball and gymnastics have seen sell out crowds and record participation. There is a real desire to see women's basketball taste that success as well and the money is there to attract candidates to the program.

Do you think they'll go after Kellie Harper again this time, and do you think she'll take the job? Serious question.

PostPosted: 12/29/16 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
pilight wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
joetro wrote:
Coach Flo at Auburn?

Do you think they'll go after Kellie Harper again this time, and do you think she'll take the job? Serious question.

I absolutely think she will be the first call made and I believe that if she is offered the job that she would take it. I know that she was the number two choice last time around and that there were a lot of people disappointed that she wasn't offered the position. The only thing I don't know is whether or not she has a bad taste in her mouth from the process last time or not. She was still at NC State at that point. I know she came to Auburn for the last interview and that makes me believe that she thought an offer was imminent. I don't know if that contributed to the rocky situation at NC State or not. In the end, I think that she knows the business well enough that she will look past that, but that is just an educated guess. Auburn will also allow her husband to be an assistant if she wants him in that role. Bruce Pearl has his son on his staff and Clint Myers has the entire family on the softball staff.

That being said, Coach Flo is liked. She wasn't the fan base's choice last time, but she has certainly been embraced. Like I said above, her downfall is really centered on her recruiting, which is hurt by being saddled with a style of play that doesn't lend itself to being recruit friendly.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/29/16 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terri Williams-Flournoy was 20-13 last year as an SEC team and they made the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2009. Her overall Auburn record is 71-61 (.538). That doesn't seem hot-seatish unless the AD has high expatiations. But since the men's team was last in the SEC last year, I don't think he should.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 12/30/16 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Terri Williams-Flournoy was 20-13 last year as an SEC team and they made the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2009. Her overall Auburn record is 71-61 (.538). That doesn't seem hot-seatish unless the AD has high expatiations. But since the men's team was last in the SEC last year, I don't think he should.

The men's team is being reconstructed from the ground up by Bruce Pearl. He now has three 5 star players and his 2017 class is ranked as the #1 class in the country. Bruce has things headed in the right direction to say the least. Auburn has a history of success in women's basketball, although that success gets farther away as each year passes. The facilities and resources are top tier and the school's geographical location, about 1 1/2 hours Southwest of Atlanta, provides fertile recruiting opportunities. The past couple of years have seen Auburn women's sports play in the finals of the women's softball World Series and women's gymnastics has sold out the arena. Getting to the tournament once in 5 years won't be enough to justify a $500,000 salary. Coach Flo is coaching in the final year of a 5 year contract. If a serious review wasn't planned, the contract would have been extended prior to the last signing period. Time was will tell.

joetro

PostPosted: 01/08/17 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jen Hoover?
Audra Smith?
Joanne Boyle?
Sharon Versyp?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/09/17 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coquese Washington has got to be feeling some heat. I am really surprised she hasn't done better at Penn State.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/09/17 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cynthia Cooper at USC? She's never easy to get along with, and they're 1-3 in conference.

PostPosted: 01/09/17 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Cynthia Cooper at USC? She's never easy to get along with, and they're 1-3 in conference.

They also haven't had a winning conference record the past 2 years as we mentioned on the show last nite.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/09/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Coquese Washington has got to be feeling some heat. I am really surprised she hasn't done better at Penn State.

I suspect she banked a lot of good will building that program from nothing to win three straight Big Ten titles. Graduations and injures drove them off a cliff but I expect they'll give her every opportunity to right the ship.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/09/17 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:
Jen Hoover?
Audra Smith?
Joanne Boyle?
Sharon Versyp?

Boyle looked like she had finally created some optimism at UVA, but after three straight conference losses where they blew leads against more highly regarded teams, the fans seem to be turning on her pretty quickly. She has no margin for error among the fan base. Whether the AD cares is a different question.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/09/17 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I suspect she banked a lot of good will building that program from nothing to win three straight Big Ten titles. Graduations and injures drove them off a cliff but I expect they'll give her every opportunity to right the ship.

plus the football scandal probably drove off some recruits just when she had it building.

- Amanda Gorman
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/09/17 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I'm sure she's fine now, but this looks like it will be the third bad season in a row. I certainly don't expect her to get fired, but the seat might feel a little warm.

Who knows.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/16/17 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Florida is turrible.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/16/17 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Florida is turrible.

Florida would have been pretty decent had not Christinaki pulled that prima donna move and stomped off. That's the danger of building your offense around one good player. And of course her defection probably demoralized the team.

As for Penn State, I see some improvement this year. The lower half of the B1G has a ways to go, but PSU may be near the top of that half.

PostPosted: 01/16/17 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terri Williams is safe. She's popular and they are 13-5, 3-1 and barring a complete disaster or injury, will be in the mix of the 7-8 SEC teams for the NCAAs.

Seems they've recruited some size (some) for next year, too.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 01/16/17 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get that it's Tsips's first year in Wisconsin, but holy hell, it seems to be going down hill. Wisconsin beat Indiana, Penn State, Northern Illinois and Wake Forest amongst others a season ago?

The best win in the Tsips tenure? I guess they did beat Green Bay which counts for something--but they also lost to Milwaukee, St. Francis and IDAHO STATE.

This is not a promising start.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: