RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Free Agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/27/16 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually don't care much whether there is a rule seriously enforced on this board on this issue. I don't know much about players' private lives and that isn't why I'm here. I'm also not upset when people do post on that subject. When there were hundreds of posts about Griner and Johnson, I didn't criticize that. I just didn't read them.

What I find offensive on this board or anywhere else are the following: in-group vs. out-group ugliness, chiding rather than welcoming newcomers, invoking the "good old days," etc. etc.

I've only been on this board since 2010 so I guess to some I'm a newcomer. When I was genuinely new, no one treated me that way. People reacted to my comments fairly, agreed or disagreed, and NEVER cited the fact that they've been here longer. I appreciated that.

PostPosted: 12/27/16 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I actually don't care much whether there is a rule seriously enforced on this board on this issue. I don't know much about players' private lives and that isn't why I'm here. I'm also not upset when people do post on that subject. When there were hundreds of posts about Griner and Johnson, I didn't criticize that. I just didn't read them.

What I find offensive on this board or anywhere else are the following: in-group vs. out-group ugliness, chiding rather than welcoming newcomers, invoking the "good old days," etc. etc.

I've only been on this board since 2010 so I guess to some I'm a newcomer. When I was genuinely new, no one treated me that way. People reacted to my comments fairly, agreed or disagreed, and NEVER cited the fact that they've been here longer. I appreciated that.

Well Bob, I guess I don't appreciated being dismissed as things I post as being ridiculous. That seems more than a little disrespectful, IMO, don't you?

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 12/27/16 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Ay Mate, I know you are new to the board, but we generally keep the "off the court" stuff private, okay?

Seriously??!! And what about all the posts here about the Griner/Glory saga?? And the Candace Parker divorce posts here?? Give me a break. This forum is to talk about the WNBA and its players. So no, okay?

I hate to defend you because you've been a jerk to me, but I've never heard of this rule.

And I've apologized to you for being a jerk. But your right. There is no such rule. And if there is, it's never been enforced. So I disregard dtsnms's comment. It was ridiculous.

Gee I've only been here since the beginning...you've been here a month. Yeah, you know more than I do about this place.

That is what's ridiculous my friend.

I've been here for at least 8 yrs reading everything.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/27/16 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Ay Mate, I know you are new to the board, but we generally keep the "off the court" stuff private, okay?

Seriously??!! And what about all the posts here about the Griner/Glory saga?? And the Candace Parker divorce posts here?? Give me a break. This forum is to talk about the WNBA and its players. So no, okay?

I hate to defend you because you've been a jerk to me, but I've never heard of this rule.

And I've apologized to you for being a jerk. But your right. There is no such rule. And if there is, it's never been enforced. So I disregard dtsnms's comment. It was ridiculous.

Gee I've only been here since the beginning...you've been here a month. Yeah, you know more than I do about this place.

That is what's ridiculous my friend.

I've been here for at least 8 yrs reading everything.

Well I'm glad you got up the nerve to join and belittle other posters. Congratulations and welcome to the board.

Last edited by dtsnms on 12/27/16 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/27/16 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Well Bob, I guess I don't appreciated being dismissed as things I post as being ridiculous. That seems more than a little disrespectful, IMO, don't you?

This is my last comment here. In my view, all the bad vibes in this discussion started with you. Quite unnecessarily.

PostPosted: 12/27/16 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

This is my last comment here. In my view, all the bad vibes here started with you. Quite unnecessarily.

Because I suggested we keep private lives private, and said we used to do that, that is a "bad vibe". Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/27/16 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I do apologize for is hijacking the thread, so I will gracefully bow out and let Shades return to the FA topic he started.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 12/27/16 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Even if there is such a rule, it has been flagrantly and repeatedly violated.

As a guideline it has been far more honored in the breach than in the observance

Once it hits the newscasts (ie Griner/Johnson) anything is fair game. But if the athlete is discreet shouldn't we be discreet?

Pilight you know as well as I do in days gone by we used to honor it at least. Maybe the new generation of Rebkellians doesn't give a crap about privacy but they should.

Just my opinion alone I guess.

I don't mean to chime in, but technically Alyssa Thomas and Jasmine Thomas being in a relationship isn't really private. They've got pictures together on social media for the public to see, unless I'm mistaken?

And it's relevant to the discussion of Jaz being a UFA how? That's my point. It doesn't matter. So why discuss it? If Ay Mate thinks so little of Jaz as a professional athlete that she's going to stay in one place to be with her significant other, that's disrespectful to her.

Not sure I get the drift here. Is a gay relationship something to be ashamed of or embarrassed about? Is it not bigoted or prejudice to try to keep people from mentioning or talking about it? A little old fashion thinking? It's part of life, comes under free speech and in this case, it's pertinent to the issue/subject under discussion ...a good reason for someone maybe not moving on to another team. It's almost 2017

Nerd2

PostPosted: 12/27/16 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

Not sure I get the drift here. Is a gay relationship something to be ashamed of or embarrassed about? Is it not bigoted or prejudice to try to keep people from mentioning or talking about it? A little old fashion thinking? It's part of life, comes under free speech and in this case, it's pertinent to the issue/subject under discussion ...a good reason for someone maybe not moving on to another team. It's almost 2017

It almost feels though when it's mentioned that there's an assumption that "oh, they're in a relationship" means "oh, they'd put that ahead of what's good for their career." Regardless of their personal lives, they are in it to win a championship so I'd expect if she got a great offer from a contending team that she would go there.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 12/27/16 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can confirm Erlana Larkins, Plenette Pierson, and Erika De Souza are UFAs. Tiffany Bias is an RFA. I also think that all of the signings in early 2016 did not have the magic words "multi-year" even if they were. Renee Montgomery and Sylvia Fowles were examples of those that merely "signed" but that Shades says are still under contract.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 12/27/16 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that dtsnms tries to say that this board is about basketball and not about who is dating who or it turn it into a gossip board.
A lot of wnba players are trying to keep their personal life private so we can try to respect that IMO.

But there have been multiple players that have based their choice to play for a certain team on who they were dating or broken up with (Katie Smith, Camille Little to name a few) So it might be a solid reason for Jasmine Thomas to stay with the Sun..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 12/27/16 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I think that dtsnms tries to say that this board is about basketball and not about who is dating who or it turn it into a gossip board.
A lot of wnba players are trying to keep their personal life private so we can try to respect that IMO.

But there have been multiple players that have based their choice to play for a certain team on who they were dating or broken up with (Katie Smith, Camille Little to name a few) So it might be a solid reason for Jasmine Thomas to stay with the Sun..

Yes but it's common knowledge about Jasmine and Alyssa. It's not gossip. It's all over each other's facebook/instagram pages. They don't hide it. So why do I get blasted for saying 'Jasmine might want to stay on the team because her and Alyssa are in a relationship'. Dtmns (sp?) said rebkell is about what happens on the court, not off of it. Well, the two players being in a relationship IS about what happens on the court if it means they want to stay on the same team. I have NOT once disrespected anyone here aside from a comment I made to Jet Jaguar for which I previously apologized for. Yes I am new to this site as a poster, not a reader, and the other person who said that new people should be welcomed and not chided or whatever. Most of the people on this site are very nice, some are NOT and are rude, and unwelcoming (Shades) but I got over it and I haven't started anything with anyone. As much as I despise Alan Barcoff (the biggest idiot I've ever encountered on the internet), maybe he's correct in his assessment of the people on this site. I hope not, because honestly, like I said, most are very nice here and welcoming, but then there are a few a*holes who like to apparently bully new people away from the site. I say ''whatever'' and I will continue posting here and I will post whatever I want to post here about women's basketball. I do not disrespect anyone (again, except for Jet for which I apologized) and yes, dtmns, your post WAS ridiculous. For that I will not apologize. Sheesh, some of you really need to get that stick out of your butts and get over yourselves and accept that there will be new people joining. And if some of you don't like it, don't open this forum up to new members. Then you can keep your happy little family together without any outsiders coming in and saying some little thing that may ruffle your old feathers.

Anyways, I said my peace on the matter. I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/27/16 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
And it's relevant to the discussion of Jaz being a UFA how? That's my point. It doesn't matter. So why discuss it? If Ay Mate thinks so little of Jaz as a professional athlete that she's going to stay in one place to be with her significant other, that's disrespectful to her.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think the poster had any ill intent. All he/she was saying is Thomas might be enticed to return to the Sun because she's in a relationship with a player that's not only public display for everyone, but plays for the same team. That's all I saw.

PostPosted: 12/27/16 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I get what you're saying, but I don't think the poster had any ill intent. All he/she was saying is Thomas might be enticed to return to the Sun because she's in a relationship with a player that's not only public display for everyone, but plays for the same team. That's all I saw.

I agree with your take mavcarter. Honestly, I don't see it as any different than speculating about EDD wanting to go to Washington or New York because it's closer to her family. If you're in a serious relationship (I'm just assuming they are serious, I don't follow either on social media) that person and where that person is can play an important role in your professional decisions.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 12/27/16 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

Yes but it's common knowledge about Jasmine and Alyssa. It's not gossip. It's all over each other's facebook/instagram pages. They don't hide it. So why do I get blasted for saying 'Jasmine might want to stay on the team because her and Alyssa are in a relationship'. Dtmns (sp?) said rebkell is about what happens on the court, not off of it. Well, the two players being in a relationship IS about what happens on the court if it means they want to stay on the same team. I

Understand where he is coming from, though. He is one of the biggest WNBA proponents, a media guy who does tons of podcasts. He's interviewed pretty much everyone in women's basketball. He's spent years defending the league and the players against sexism. Your post could be interpreted as guaranteeing she'd stay because she's dating a teammate - in other words, that she would put her athletic career second even if she got a good offer. And in years past we really did get folks coming over from L Chat who wanted to gossip and dish dirt. So that's the context.

Barcoff's entire motivation is: he wants a job. So, he needs his website to be the only credible one with him as the most knowledgeable poster. He also needs everyone else to seem incompetent so that a job opens up for him.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 12/27/16 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

And that's all I meant. I think Jasmine will return to the Sun because she seems very happy there, is coming off her best season as a pro, likes her new head coach a lot and because she gets to play along side her gf. I don't see any harm in saying that. Anyways... moving on

Nerd2

PostPosted: 12/27/16 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both Diggins and Meesseman already signed extensions. I am reasonably certain that Erica Wheeler and Haley Peters each signed one year contracts and would therefore be reserved.

One item I am curious about is whether any other Chicago Sky vets will want out. New coach and the loss of a franchise player will alter the team from the one they signed contracts to back in 2015.

stever

PostPosted: 12/27/16 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Actually Dave, he's not new..it's just a new "identity". Rolling Eyes

Michelle89

PostPosted: 12/27/16 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has Whitedude returned Surprised

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 12/27/16 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Actually Dave, he's not new..it's just a new "identity". Rolling Eyes

Me? No. I'm Australian living in Key West FL.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/27/16 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whether or not players' personal lives are relevant to the thread or the board or not, posters' personal lives and tenure pissing matches are not.

FWIW, I remember a time when we discussed relationships that weren't even on social media, let alone in the news.

(now with spelling variations)
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/27/16 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Whether or not players' personal lives are relevant to the thread or the board or not, posters' personal lives and tenure pissing matches are not.

FWIW, I remember a time when we discussed relationships that weren't even on social media, let alone in the news.

Oh yes i remember those days too . One of my friends got blocked about 3 different times 😁

PostPosted: 12/27/16 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this thread went way off track quickly.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mb1

PostPosted: 12/27/16 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In no particular order:

* it is unfortunate the league does not divulge contract and salary terms and publish free agent lists

* it has been an unwritten rule to try to stay on topic and not publicize relationships that weren't blatantly public (not because they to be hid...more to respect privacy and keep it basketball focused)

* at mate correctly described Alan as the biggest idiot on the internet so all is forgiven

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/28/16 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been on this board for almost 3 years and never heard of these "unwritten rules". So if you guys want us to follow them, you might want to actually let your members know. Just a suggestion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: