RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Free Agents
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/25/16 5:54 pm    ::: 2017 WNBA Free Agents Reply Reply with quote

I searched but couldn't find this topic started yet. It's about that time, and I wanted a space to talk about Chelsea Hopkins... again.

I think it was two years ago I wanted the Lynx to give Chelsea Hopkins a look in camp instead of McKenith. They brought in McKenith and the Liberty brought in Hopkins and neither made the final cut.

So, when I was researching Danielle Adams, I noticed Chelsea Hopkins was on Adams' team and nearly averaging a triple double. I know it's Israel, but that's like some Westbrook ish. I wonder if Hopkins is kinda like Zoll. She owns her position in the little league overseas, but in the WNBA she ain't all that. Could she be worth another audition for somebody?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/26/16 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Hopkins is typical of many point guards who come into the league. She's as good, or better than a lot of points in the league right now, but just isn't getting the opportunity. It has a lot less to do with not being good enough and more to do with opportunity. Courtney Vandersloot, for example, is lucky she landed with a coach who was patient with her and let her develop or you know what she would be? She'd be Chelsea Hopkins and Sharnee Zoll.

PostPosted: 12/26/16 6:41 pm    ::: Re: 2017 WNBA Free Agents Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I searched but couldn't find this topic started yet. It's about that time, and I wanted a space to talk about Chelsea Hopkins... again.

I think it was two years ago I wanted the Lynx to give Chelsea Hopkins a look in camp instead of McKenith. They brought in McKenith and the Liberty brought in Hopkins and neither made the final cut.

So, when I was researching Danielle Adams, I noticed Chelsea Hopkins was on Adams' team and nearly averaging a triple double. I know it's Israel, but that's like some Westbrook ish. I wonder if Hopkins is kinda like Zoll. She owns her position in the little league overseas, but in the WNBA she ain't all that. Could she be worth another audition for somebody?

Was trying to find the rule on foreign players for this league. Guessing that it is 4. I found an article from 2015 on the men's league and it says:

Quote:
Since 2006 (apart for a two-year break), Israel has been applying the Russian law, which basically changed everything. Until then, a team could include two Americans and two Bosmans (European players), and there were minor changes in personnel.

But it looks like the women's league allows four Americans.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/26/16 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

based on bits and pieces I've read on here (feel free to correct any misinformation.

UFA
Langhorne
Pierson
Little
T. Wright

RFA draft class 2013
Griner
EDD
Diggins (already signed an extension I believe)
Hill *
Bone
Hawkins *
Alexander
Clarendon
Faris
Bentley
Rodgers
Meeseman

(Hill and Hawkins I believe missed one entire season so I'm not sure if that year does or does not count in terms of their agency status.)

These players may or may not be UFA just guessing based on tenure in the league please correct if you know they signed contracts that go through 2017

Possible UFA
McCoughtry
Coleman
Toliver
Montgomery
Bonner
January
Paris
Zellous
Petrovic
Ajevon
Carson
T. Young
Larkins
Mitchell
Pringle/Sanders
Harding
Quinn
TJJ
Latta
Pondexter
Currie
Dupree
Lyttle
Bass/Williams/?
De Souza

Made it for a while or Almost made it (players cut the last few season who made it briefly or were on the border of making it who might get another shot)

Bulgak, Knight, Graves, Alston, Fields, Grant, Bradford, Logic, Kiesel, Burdick, Hrynko, Orrange, Massengale, Liston, A. Taylor, L. Moore, D. Whyte, A. Goodrich, Prahalis, Goodlett, S. Kelly, C. Hoskins, S. Carter, J. Gemelos, A. Harris, D. Adams, I. Ibekwe, K. Griffin, A. Thomas, Q. Hollingsworth

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/27/16 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One in, one out: Washington waived Hawkins to make room for Mitchell. She should be a UFA. On the other hand, Knight was signed for the last three games of the season by SAS, so they control her rights.

PostPosted: 12/27/16 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These should be all the designations for the Lynx
UFA
McCarville

Reserved
Hampton
Jarry?

Rookie
Fagbenle

petrel

PostPosted: 12/27/16 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In any other league, this would be open, easily obtained information. Confused

scullyfu

PostPosted: 12/27/16 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

not sure about this, but iirc the Storm cored Langhorne at some point. is that coring good from one contract signing to another or does it have a finite time frame?

PostPosted: 12/27/16 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
not sure about this, but iirc the Storm cored Langhorne at some point. is that coring good from one contract signing to another or does it have a finite time frame?

Was Langhorne signed for multiple years?

pilight

PostPosted: 12/27/16 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

it's good for the length of the contract signed while under the designation.

PostPosted: 12/27/16 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
based on bits and pieces I've read on here (feel free to correct any misinformation.

UFA
Langhorne
Pierson
Little
T. Wright

RFA draft class 2013
Griner
EDD
Diggins (already signed an extension I believe)
Hill *
Bone
Hawkins *
Alexander
Clarendon
Faris
Bentley
Rodgers
Meeseman

(Hill and Hawkins I believe missed one entire season so I'm not sure if that year does or does not count in terms of their agency status.)

These players may or may not be UFA just guessing based on tenure in the league please correct if you know they signed contracts that go through 2017

Possible UFA
McCoughtry
Coleman
Toliver
Montgomery
Bonner
January
Paris
Zellous
Petrovic
Ajevon
Carson
T. Young
Larkins
Mitchell
Pringle/Sanders
Harding
Quinn
TJJ
Latta
Pondexter
Currie
Dupree
Lyttle
Bass/Williams/?
De Souza

Made it for a while or Almost made it (players cut the last few season who made it briefly or were on the border of making it who might get another shot)

Bulgak, Knight, Graves, Alston, Fields, Grant, Bradford, Logic, Kiesel, Burdick, Hrynko, Orrange, Massengale, Liston, A. Taylor, L. Moore, D. Whyte, A. Goodrich, Prahalis, Goodlett, S. Kelly, C. Hoskins, S. Carter, J. Gemelos, A. Harris, D. Adams, I. Ibekwe, K. Griffin, A. Thomas, Q. Hollingsworth

Jasmine Thomas is a UFA.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/27/16 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Jasmine Thomas is a UFA.

I'd expect she'd be the one cored, leaving Little to pursue another team if she likes. She might be feeling wanted in CON with Ogwumike going down and not being sure where Tuck is at.

If Little wants to chase a championship and would be willing to work really cheap, LAS or MIN might be able to fit her in.

The Mystics would be closest to home base, plus they have a couple of old college teammates in Sanders and Latta.

There's an old college teammate in IND if they retain Larkins.

I believe Little is great friends with Tanisha Wright, and Little could fill the utility role of a Swin Cash.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 12/27/16 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Jasmine Thomas is a UFA.

I'd expect she'd be the one cored, leaving Little to pursue another team if she likes. She might be feeling wanted in CON with Ogwumike going down and not being sure where Tuck is at.

If Little wants to chase a championship and would be willing to work really cheap, LAS or MIN might be able to fit her in.

The Mystics would be closest to home base, plus they have a couple of old college teammates in Sanders and Latta.

There's an old college teammate in IND if they retain Larkins.

I believe Little is great friends with Tanisha Wright, and Little could fill the utility role of a Swin Cash.

I doubt the Sun would feel the need to core Jasmine Thomas. She apparently likes Curt Miller a lot and plus, she's in a relationship with Alyssa Thomas. She will remain with the Sun.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/27/16 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine Jasmine Thomas is so irreplaceable that she would need to be cored.

PostPosted: 12/27/16 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate, I know you are new to the board, but we generally keep the "off the court" stuff private, okay?

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 12/27/16 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Ay Mate, I know you are new to the board, but we generally keep the "off the court" stuff private, okay?

Seriously??!! And what about all the posts here about the Griner/Glory saga?? And the Candace Parker divorce posts here?? Give me a break. This forum is to talk about the WNBA and its players. So no, okay?

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/27/16 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Seriously??!! And what about all the posts here about the Griner/Glory saga?? And the Candace Parker divorce posts here?? Give me a break. This forum is to talk about the WNBA and its players. So no, okay?

I hate to defend you because you've been a jerk to me, but I've never heard of this rule.

PostPosted: 12/27/16 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I hate to defend you because you've been a jerk to me, but I've never heard of this rule.

And I've apologized to you for being a jerk. But your right. There is no such rule. And if there is, it's never been enforced. So I disregard dtsnms's comment. It was ridiculous.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/27/16 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I can't imagine Jasmine Thomas is so irreplaceable that she would need to be cored.

Not sure where this is coming from, but she was good last season, and I hear the Liberty are looking for an upgrade.

32 mpg (1st)
11.7 ppg (3rd; 2nd if you remove Ogwumike)
4.1 rpg (3rd; 2nd if you remove Ogwumike)
5.1 apg (1st; that's easily replaceable, coming from an ATL fan?)
1.3 spg (2nd)

I don't see why they wouldn't use the core on her unless CON is extremely cheap. They already have an inexpensive roster.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/27/16 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Even if there is such a rule, it has been flagrantly and repeatedly violated.

PostPosted: 12/27/16 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

As a guideline it has been far more honored in the breach than in the observance

PostPosted: 12/27/16 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

As a guideline it has been far more honored in the breach than in the observance

Once it hits the newscasts (ie Griner/Johnson) anything is fair game. But if the athlete is discreet shouldn't we be discreet?

Pilight you know as well as I do in days gone by we used to honor it at least. Maybe the new generation of Rebkellians doesn't give a crap about privacy but they should.

Just my opinion alone I guess and the way it always was before this new group has come on board.

Last edited by dtsnms on 12/27/16 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/27/16 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Once it hits the newscasts (ie Griner/Johnson) anything is fair game. But if the athlete is discreet shouldn't we be discreet?

Pilight you know as well as I do in days gone by we used to honor it at least. Maybe the new generation of Rebkellians doesn't give a crap about privacy but they should.

Just my opinion alone I guess.

I don't mean to chime in, but technically Alyssa Thomas and Jasmine Thomas being in a relationship isn't really private. They've got pictures together on social media for the public to see, unless I'm mistaken?

PostPosted: 12/27/16 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

And I've apologized to you for being a jerk. But your right. There is no such rule. And if there is, it's never been enforced. So I disregard dtsnms's comment. It was ridiculous.

Gee I've only been here since the beginning...you've been here a month. Yeah, you know more than I do about this place.

That is what's ridiculous my friend.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/27/16 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Just my opinion alone I guess.

I don't mean to chime in, but technically Alyssa Thomas and Jasmine Thomas being in a relationship isn't really private. They've got pictures together on social media for the public to see, unless I'm mistaken?

And it's relevant to the discussion of Jaz being a UFA how? That's my point. It doesn't matter. So why discuss it? If Ay Mate thinks so little of Jaz as a professional athlete that she's going to stay in one place to be with her significant other, that's disrespectful to her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: