RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

And its Official Time for the 2017 Hot Seat ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/05/16 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
That White didn't have the balls to do it & admit his mistake.

Having experienced White from his time at ND, I think you could have just shortened your post to the above quoted section... Wink

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/05/16 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Is Purdue ever going to hire a new coach?

Hopefully this year, but it's hard to say. Purdue has a new AD that is cleaning up the football mess and might turn his head to WBB next. Unfortunately, Morgan Burke signed Versyp to an extension on his way out the door, though word is that it made the buy-out lower if she is fired.

Fingers crossed (thought, I would still be thrilled if they beat South Carolina).

Yeah, I'm truly shocked how far Purdue has fallen. One plus for me is that it has allowed ND to pretty much lock down the top in state talent. It used to be that ND would always lose that talent to UT and Purdue.

Still, I think it would be great to have Purdue rise again and renew the ND-Purdue rivalry.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/05/16 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:

Also, FWIW, BC's football team made a bowl game. Any job that's not hockey at BC is a tough one. Not much elite regional talent in hoops or football.

Did they? Didn't realize that. I was thinking of last year when IIRC they didn't win a single ACC fb or mbb game.

They used to be good in both sports. This is a very recent phenomenon and speaks of a total dereliction of responsibility. They won the BE in football and played in the BE title game. And they were good in MBB under Skinner. They never should have fired him.

I'm not a BC fan, but it concerns me what has happened in their athletic dept. And two years ago it looked like WBB was on its way up. This year that promise seems to have vaporized and I don't understand why.

My understanding is that BC is attempting to be a big-time ACC school with... not a big-time anything budget. They can't afford to be in the ACC; at the same time, they're so invested in football they can't afford to attempt a downgrade. Plus, they burned their bridges with the Big East.

(now with spelling variations)
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/05/16 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

My understanding is that BC is attempting to be a big-time ACC school with... not a big-time anything budget. They can't afford to be in the ACC; at the same time, they're so invested in football they can't afford to attempt a downgrade. Plus, they burned their bridges with the Big East.

They're getting paid the same $26million+ as every other ACC school, they're bigger than Wake Forest, and about the same size as Miami. Not sure why they can't have a budget equal to much of the rest of the conference. They certainly have enough money to hire coaches.

They were doing fine until just the past three or four years.

I think their problem is primarily mismanagement by Leahy and the current and previous Ads.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/06/16 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Yeah, I'm truly shocked how far Purdue has fallen. One plus for me is that it has allowed ND to pretty much lock down the top in state talent. It used to be that ND would always lose that talent to UT and Purdue.

Still, I think it would be great to have Purdue rise again and renew the ND-Purdue rivalry.

Versyp made two Elite Eight appearances in her first three seasons - 2007 and 2009.

After a losing season and a 21-win season, Purdue bounced back in 2012, with 25 wins and a second place finish in the Big Ten.

But since? Purdue finished 4th twice in the Big Ten, before finishes of 13th and 6th the past two seasons.

In the past seven years, Purdue has lost in the NCAA second round four times, lost in the NCAA first round once, lost in the WNIT second round once, and missed all postseason tournaments once.

Since that time, Ohio State has really stepped up its recruiting (in the post-Foster era). Maryland has joined the Big Ten and has made Final Four appearances. Michigan State has finished in the top three in the Big Ten seven out of the last eight years - and has made at least the NCAA second round in seven out of the last eight years. Other teams have had one or two good seasons recently (Nebraska, Iowa, etc.).

Say what you will about Kristy Curry, she made one Final Four, another Elite Eight, and reached at least the Sweet 16 in four of her seven seasons (the other three years were second round losses). And there were some fans who were questioning whether her seat was warm (before some of the NCAA violations) because she had only made the Sweet 16 twice in her last three years (the other year being a second round loss).

Purdue has gone from a national program to a middle-of-the-pack Big 10 team. Time for a change in leadership.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/06/16 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

Versyp made two Elite Eight appearances in her first three seasons - 2007 and 2009.

After a losing season and a 21-win season, Purdue bounced back in 2012, with 25 wins and a second place finish in the Big Ten.

But since? Purdue finished 4th twice in the Big Ten, before finishes of 13th and 6th the past two seasons.

In the past seven years, Purdue has lost in the NCAA second round four times, lost in the NCAA first round once, lost in the WNIT second round once, and missed all postseason tournaments once.

Since that time, Ohio State has really stepped up its recruiting (in the post-Foster era). Maryland has joined the Big Ten and has made Final Four appearances. Michigan State has finished in the top three in the Big Ten seven out of the last eight years - and has made at least the NCAA second round in seven out of the last eight years. Other teams have had one or two good seasons recently (Nebraska, Iowa, etc.).

Say what you will about Kristy Curry, she made one Final Four, another Elite Eight, and reached at least the Sweet 16 in four of her seven seasons (the other three years were second round losses). And there were some fans who were questioning whether her seat was warm (before some of the NCAA violations) because she had only made the Sweet 16 twice in her last three years (the other year being a second round loss).

Purdue has gone from a national program to a middle-of-the-pack Big 10 team. Time for a change in leadership.

I think people also often forget that teams that win early on for a coach are often (usually) the previous coach's recruits. It's not until year 3 or 4 their own recruits start to make an impact.

On that note, I'll be interested to see how Indiana does in the next couple of years. The upper class are Curt Miller's recruits.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 12/06/16 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did someone say Tennessee ????

linkster

PostPosted: 12/06/16 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:

Special case. Holly represents a legacy and firing her would seen by many in the LV community as a rejection of that legacy.

Besides, she has BTB E8 appearances that balance last year's regular season ugliness. And a highly touted class coming in.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/06/16 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Special case. Holly represents a legacy and firing her would seen by many in the LV community as a rejection of that legacy.

Besides, she has BTB E8 appearances that balance last year's regular season ugliness. And a highly touted class coming in.

Also there wil be a new AD after June. (Thanks be to all the gods) One thinks there could hardly be any worse than Hammy and Heartless Dave, but then, you never really know, do you? UT is also getting a new chancellor. Jimmy the Cheek and Heartless Dave were hand-in-pocket buddies with DEEP Alabama connections. The new chancellor is from University of Cincinnati.

PostPosted: 12/07/16 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="dtsnms"]
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

On that note, I'll be interested to see how Indiana does in the next couple of years. The upper class are Curt Miller's recruits.

Many of his recruits left.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 12/13/16 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Auburn's Terri Williams-Flournoy is on a seat that is red hot. She is coaching in the final year of her 5 year contract. Recruiting and style of play(chicken and egg) are really making it difficult to compete with the top teams in the SEC.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/13/16 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

Curry's FF was with Fortner/Peck recruits, and maybe even a Dunn recruit.

1996 - Dunn
1997 - Fortner
1998 - Peck
1999 - Peck - NC
2000 - Curry
2001 - Curry - FF

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/13/16 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="bucks4now"]
dtsnms wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

Many of his recruits left.

The leading scorers now are almost all from his classes, including the top four scorers.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/13/16 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

1996 - Dunn
1997 - Fortner
1998 - Peck
1999 - Peck - NC
2000 - Curry
2001 - Curry - FF

None of the players on that team were Peck recruits. Douglas and Cooper were Dunn recruits, Komara and Crawford were Fortner recruits. Wright, Hurns, and Valek were all Curry recruits. Even the scrubs were all recruited by someone other than Peck.

PostPosted: 12/13/16 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

1996 - Dunn
1997 - Fortner
1998 - Peck
1999 - Peck - NC
2000 - Curry
2001 - Curry - FF

None of the players on that team were Peck recruits. Douglas and Cooper were Dunn recruits, Komara and Crawford were Fortner recruits. Wright, Hurns, and Valek were all Curry recruits. Even the scrubs were all recruited by someone other than Peck.

And Wright and Hurns were both on the All Final Four team. Valek was the starting point guard who went down earlier in the tournament. Sure, she didn't recruit Douglas, Cooper, or Komara, but Curry's recruiting fingerprints were all over that team.

Versyp, on the other hand, hasn't made it to the Sweet 16 since the last of Curry's recruits left. She also hasn't had a single player she recruited (or who transferred in) drafted. Something like 70 teams have had at least one drafted player, and Purdue is not one of them.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/13/16 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

1996 - Dunn
1997 - Fortner
1998 - Peck
1999 - Peck - NC
2000 - Curry
2001 - Curry - FF

Peck was an assistant to Fortner in '97 is why I included her the way I did: Fortner/Peck recruits instead of typing Fortner, Peck recruits....

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/13/16 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Versyp, on the other hand, hasn't made it to the Sweet 16 since the last of Curry's recruits left. She also hasn't had a single player she recruited (or who transferred in) drafted. Something like 70 teams have had at least one drafted player, and Purdue is not one of them.

What is said is that for those of us who were bball fans in the late 1980s and through the 1990s, we remember how great of a program Purdue was. The battles in the Big Ten were legendary. Stringer had some great Iowa teams. Ohio State made the Final Four in Katie Smith's freshman year. Wisconsin was always tough (especially with Barb Franke).

Dunn took them to the Final Four. Then Peck's team made the Final Four and won the national title. And Curry's team made the Final Four.

And Purdue had great players throughout the program's history. Joy Holmes. Stacey Lovelace. Jannon Roland. Then Stephanie White, Ukari Figgs, Katie Douglas, Kelly Komara, Shereka Wright, etc.

It is just a shame to see what has happened to the program and sad to see as a basketball fan.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/13/16 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The question is would you take Versyp over mcCallie?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/13/16 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
The question is would you take Versyp over mcCallie?

Kind of crazy that both coached at the University of Maine. Maybe that place has a bad effect on coaches?

mildred

PostPosted: 12/14/16 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue isn't anywhere close to making the NCAA tourney this year. Record is OK right now but played nobody. RPI in the mid-100's.
Versyp has buried this program. Can only hope new AD is taking a closer look but Versyp still has plenty of support from assistant AD (Cross).

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/15/16 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sadly, there are only three requirements for a women's basketball Division I coach to keep her job in the majority, if not most, of the schools.

1) Keep the graduation rate at or above whatever the standard is at that school for students at large and/or athletes;

2) Stay around .500 and get to the one of the many postseason tournaments now and again;

3) Don't sleep with the players.

OK, this is an oversimplification, and there are some schools to which it does not apply, but for the most part it's not that hard to hold onto a job in a minor revenue sport like women's basketball.

Last edited by ClayK on 12/15/16 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/15/16 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Robin Harmony at Lamar, but the admin won't care. All of Tidwell's players are long gone and she tumbled last year. This year, other than stacking the schedule with the maximum allowed NAIA teams, she has looked inept and got her rear handed to her. She won a conference title in her first year...all with Tidwell's players. It's been on the decline ever since. They had a shorter leash with Pat Knight, why the double standard? They demanded results with the men but the women get a free pass? Terrible.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/15/16 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Robin Harmony at Lamar, but the admin won't care. All of Tidwell's players are long gone and she tumbled last year. This year, other than stacking the schedule with the maximum allowed NAIA teams, she has looked inept and got her rear handed to her. She won a conference title in her first year...all with Tidwell's players. It's been on the decline ever since. They had a shorter leash with Pat Knight, why the double standard? They demanded results with the men but the women get a free pass? Terrible.

I don't know exactly the situation there but in general the 'minors' have a difficult time recruiting since they pretty much only get the ones not recruited by the majors except in special circumstances. Not excusing anyone but just saying the standard is quite a bit different than for the P5 coaches.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/15/16 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:
Oh please...one losing season does not a career make. In 2014-15 they went 24-10 (13-5 in Pac12) and 2013-14 had same Pac 12 record....the year before they went 32-4 to FF under Gottlieb....are you really going to trash a coach for one down year (and they did play well in Pac12 tourney at the end).

This year's team has a lot of depth and the three frosh are immediate impact players....Cal still has only one senior.

BTW, Gottlieb is expecting her first child...in May. Hopefully Cal Bears will have a great spring all around. Smile

I agree with those who find Gottlieb's seat to be icey cold. She brought 'em to a Final 4, which buys a loooootttttt of goodwill, and though last year's very (VERY!) young team struggled some, they had it pretty well put-together by season's end (including a Pac-12 Tourney win over #10 ASU), and they're off to a very good start to *this* season. Massey's got 'em ranked at #18, and Sagarin's got 'em ranked at #28.

Cal's fine. Gottlieb's fine.

well, I'm glad Cal fans are happy enough with her anyway because she is a feel-good quality person. But their OOC schedule has been extremely weak and to me it looks like with all their McD's AA players, the results should be better. Guess we will see how they do against Ok since that will be their first real test this year. I see they actually seem to have some outside shooting this year, which should help open up the middle for Anigwe who is clearly a quality player.

PS Nobody seems to mention that the final 4 run was with inherited players.

- Amanda Gorman
PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 12/15/16 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Also there wil be a new AD after June. (Thanks be to all the gods) One thinks there could hardly be any worse than Hammy and Heartless Dave, but then, you never really know, do you? UT is also getting a new chancellor. Jimmy the Cheek and Heartless Dave were hand-in-pocket buddies with DEEP Alabama connections. The new chancellor is from University of Cincinnati.

I will say it..... There cannot be any worse than Dave Hart. Tennessee was better off with the good ole boy he replaced. There are so many quality ADs that would walk to Tennessee for that job... I don't know why they don't hire a good fit this time/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: