Chicago Sky 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/10/16 3:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Pretty weird to hire someone with no head coaching experience, but sometimes you can get lucky pulling a rabbit out of a hat. At least she has been around the game in some capacity for quite a long time and surely learned something under Agler. I'm willing to let her show what she's got.
And frankly when you consider all the re-treads, it's kind of hard to get excited about anybody out there.

There's a fine line between someone with no coaching experience and a retread.

What is going to be of interest to me is to see how Amber handles the team. If there was a difference between Pokey and EDD it was Pokey liked to be an X and O's type of coach on offense. Elena has publicly stated she would like the team to play as a team. That is how she played at Univ. of Delaware.

EDD feels the team played better when they had a fast break off the boards and not set up into a particular offense. EDD would like to see more passing on offense. As an example since I know EDD best she likes to make up her own mind if she wants the ball at the 3-point line or in the paint. On the base line or at the free throw line. She realizes a team will defend her a certain way at the beginning of a game and in the middle of the game a team will change how they defend her. She is a very intelligent player and she can recognize very quickly a weakness of a defense.

Two things are very important to EDD, TEAM BOND AND TEAM CHEMISTRY. She feels this is more important than X's and O's. If Amber works these two things into Chicago's offense Amber will do well. Chicago has very talented guards that pass very well and think on their feet. This can help with team bond and chemistry.

Sounds to me like Amber is going to have to clear things with "Coach EDD" before she does anything.

PostPosted: 12/10/16 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Wow! Turning over a contending professional basketball team with one of the best players in the world to a person with no head coaching experience. Must have been a hotly contested job...

I have to make something very clear. I am not advocating EDD should be coach of Chicago. You are hearing from me a person that was very frustrated last year on Pokey's offensive schemes last year and previous years.

There is no doubt that Pokey was an X's and O's coach. She wanted specific plays run on offense. History has shown that has not worked. I personally like EDD's philosophy that what is most important is first you have a team with a strong bond and close team chemistry. Those two issues are more important than to force an offense to play X's and O's.

I am shocked Chicago would hire a coach with no head coaching experience and I would feel the same way if it was EDD.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/10/16 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wasn't suggesting that you thought EDD should be the coach.

PostPosted: 12/10/16 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Wow! Turning over a contending professional basketball team with one of the best players in the world to a person with no head coaching experience. Must have been a hotly contested job...

So you think a retread would have been a better choice

PostPosted: 12/10/16 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

That seemed to be what you were thinking.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=89641&start=2

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 12/10/16 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

That seemed to be what you were thinking.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=89641&start=2

I thought they would go that way.

PostPosted: 12/12/16 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont get the X s and O s comment tbh. 90% of the time that EDD had the ball they didnt run a play at all.. It was iso ball for EDD all the way or a simple pick &roll with Faulkner and run that over and over.

They played some nice setplays when EDD was injured and got everyone involved. But to me it looked like Pokey just couldnt mix that with involving EDD or Fowles in the previous years for that matter.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 12/13/16 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The official announcement of Amber Stocks as HC

http://sky.wnba.com/news/chicago-sky-names-amber-stocks-head-coach-general-manager/

Quote:
After an extensive six-week process in which the organization interviewed over a dozen strong candidates, the Chicago Sky has selected Amber Stocks as its Head Coach and General Manager

PostPosted: 12/13/16 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The official announcement of Amber Stocks as HC

http://sky.wnba.com/news/chicago-sky-names-amber-stocks-head-coach-general-manager/

Quote:
After an extensive six-week process in which the organization interviewed over a dozen strong candidates, the Chicago Sky has selected Amber Stocks as its Head Coach and General Manager

I am counting on you pilight to find out who the other eleven candidates were!!!

stever

PostPosted: 12/13/16 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/stocks-prepared-to-help-bring-championship-culture-to-sky/

Quote:
“She was at the bottom of the list,” Alter admitted Tuesday.

sigur3

PostPosted: 12/13/16 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
But Stocks landed at the top of the heap following an extensive search process that included 15-20 candidates.

I'm suuuuuure

Shades

PostPosted: 12/13/16 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Stocks and Alter will begin to evaluate the Sky roster, which includes restricted free agent Elena Delle Donne. Alter said conversations will begin with players to determine who wants to remain with the Sky and who is willing to be part of the plan Stocks will soon begin to put in place.

Is Alter the GM now?

Quote:
I just do what I have to do in order to win

That sounds like another Amber. Tank for Mitchell? Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 12/13/16 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Quote:
But Stocks landed at the top of the heap following an extensive search process that included 15-20 candidates.

I'm suuuuuure

I want their names.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 12/13/16 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it me or is that a very odd article? They interviewed 15-20 (inquiring minds definitely would love to know who!!). She was on the bottom of the owner's list yet she ended up on the top, got the job ANDDD the GM position. What on earth?

It's not like she came out of nowhere but I suppose many of us would have expected a long time assistant like Katie (seems next up for NY), VJ, Pettis, etc. to get a head coaching job first, if they wanted it. It looks like they are wanting a top to bottom revamp so perhaps this is a good move for the Sky. As a Sparks fan, I'm sad to see her go because they had something special this season and fully expect her (like Coaches Miller and Brondello) to keep all Sparks secrets to herself! Confused Laughing

Needless to say, this will be an interesting season. Any ideas who may decide to say or take their talents elsewhere? One guarantee, Indy v. Chicago will be an intriguing match-up.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/13/16 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Is it me or is that a very odd article? They interviewed 15-20 (inquiring minds definitely would love to know who!!). She was on the bottom of the owner's list yet she ended up on the top, got the job ANDDD the GM position. What on earth?

She was on the bottom of the list at the start of the process. She must have interviewed very well.

PostPosted: 12/13/16 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to wonder if people turned down the job before they got to her

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/14/16 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
Stocks and Alter will begin to evaluate the Sky roster, which includes restricted free agent Elena Delle Donne. Alter said conversations will begin with players to determine who wants to remain with the Sky and who is willing to be part of the plan Stocks will soon begin to put in place.

Is Alter the GM now?

Quote:

What a weird quote, to me it sounds like all the veteran players not known for defense just got put on notice or on the block.

EDD isn't going anywhere, she is a RFA, and doesn't have the huge overseas income to threaten to sit out if not traded (not saying she would ever do that, but you need that big overseas money to make that move) and Chicago would be crazy to let her go. Also with Stock coming from LA where all world Parker played a point forward kind of role I think all world EDD can have the offense run through her in a similar fashion.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see Faulkner, EDD and Boyette as the new core. And for the Sky to try and bring in some younger players to add to the mix, or even draft picks. Go up tempo on offense, and gritty and physical on defense.

Sloot to Seattle? Pondexter to Atlanta? Quigley to PX or Indy?

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/14/16 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

She was on the bottom of the list at the start of the process. She must have interviewed very well.

Or people ahead of her said, "aw, hell naw".

(now with spelling variations)
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/14/16 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
Quote:

Is Alter the GM now?

Quote:

What a weird quote, to me it sounds like all the veteran players not known for defense just got put on notice or on the block.

EDD isn't going anywhere, she is a RFA, and doesn't have the huge overseas income to threaten to sit out if not traded (not saying she would ever do that, but you need that big overseas money to make that move) and Chicago would be crazy to let her go. Also with Stock coming from LA where all world Parker played a point forward kind of role I think all world EDD can have the offense run through her in a similar fashion.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see Faulkner, EDD and Boyette as the new core. And for the Sky to try and bring in some younger players to add to the mix, or even draft picks. Go up tempo on offense, and gritty and physical on defense.

It more sounds to me like there are some players that don't like how this whole thing went down with the Pokey firing and hiring this brand new coach. But obviously I don't know for sure what that means.

PostPosted: 12/14/16 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
Quote:

Is Alter the GM now?

Quote:

It more sounds to me like there are some players that don't like how this whole thing went down with the Pokey firing and hiring this brand new coach. But obviously I don't know for sure what that means.

That makes more sense actually. Chicago always seems to be having some behind the scenes drama.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 12/14/16 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20161104/sports/161109312/

Quote:
I've always considered Chatman to be a popular coach with her players, a cool customer who doesn't over-manage or run a "my way-or-the-highway" operation. The respect she gave players was reciprocated.

But behind closed doors … who knows? Were the players unhappy? Was management?

More important, was Delle Donne unhappy? From the outside, it didn't seem like it. But anything is possible. And as the face of the franchise, Delle Donne certainly would have Alter's ear and devotion.

This was a quote from Patricia Babcock-McGraw. Seems she thinks EDD had a hand in the firing of Pokey Chateman.

Personally for me, that would be a surprise and I cannot believe that it is true.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 12/14/16 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt it

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 12/14/16 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:

Quote:
I've always considered Chatman to be a popular coach with her players, a cool customer who doesn't over-manage or run a "my way-or-the-highway" operation. The respect she gave players was reciprocated.

More important, was Delle Donne unhappy? From the outside, it didn't seem like it. But anything is possible. And as the face of the franchise, Delle Donne certainly would have Alter's ear and devotion.

This was a quote from Patricia Babcock-McGraw. Seems she thinks EDD had a hand in the firing of Pokey Chateman.

Personally for me, that would be a surprise and I cannot believe that it is true.

Why even write some speculative bullshit like this ?

"was Delle Donne unhappy ?"
"who knows ?"
"Were the players unhappy ?"
" Was management ?"
"But anything is possible"

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 12/14/16 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:

Quote:

"who knows ?"
" Was management ?"

I have a fear this is going to tear up a very good team. The way the owner is handling this is not good. What Babcock-McGraw is publicly stating is not helping and is very juvenile.

I just listened to Amber talk at the press conference when she was talking about the team she had a very low key statement on EDD. "Elena Delle Donne played quality minutes". That is hardly a pat on the back.

zune69

PostPosted: 12/14/16 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
zune69 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:

Quote:

"who knows ?"
" Was management ?"

I have a fear this is going to tear up a very good team. The way the owner is handling this is not good. What Babcock-McGraw is publicly stating is not helping and is very juvenile.

I just listened to Amber talk at the press conference when she was talking about the team she had a very low key statement on EDD. "Elena Delle Donne played quality minutes". That is hardly a pat on the back.

I agree....if the owner was media savvy or just had some common sense,they'd make a clear statement to the media that Delle Donne had no influence on the Chatman firing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 3 of 28

Jump to: