Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigur3

PostPosted: 12/02/16 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Coates at least provides some muscle down low. Not really sold on her offense though.

Which is why I wouldn't even pick her first, I really don't see anything with Coates. But she is a big, so I guess she fits San Antonio..

Everyone fits in San Antonio. They need literally everything except a PG.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/02/16 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Mitchell comes out I'd have to wonder if they keep the pick or trade it as they already have Jefferson & McBride. Or do they take Mitchell and go with three guards starting?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 12/02/16 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Mitchell comes out, it's hard to imagine not keeping her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sammieee

PostPosted: 12/02/16 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
At this point, I couldn't say who my top two would be. If DeShields, say, takes a step up during the season and plays at a high level, she could certainly be one of them.

But if Kelsey Mitchell and Victoria Vivians are in the draft, they would probably be my top right now.

Vivians who has shot 37 and 38% her first two years (better this year so far at 42%) and has nearly twice as many turnovers than assists (only 4 a/9 TO through 6 games)?

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/02/16 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
ClayK wrote:
At this point, I couldn't say who my top two would be. If DeShields, say, takes a step up during the season and plays at a high level, she could certainly be one of them.

But if Kelsey Mitchell and Victoria Vivians are in the draft, they would probably be my top right now.

Vivians who has shot 37 and 38% her first two years (better this year so far at 42%) and has nearly twice as many turnovers than assists (only 4 a/9 TO through 6 games)?

Agreed.

DeShields doesn't necessarily impress you, but Vivians does?

PostPosted: 12/02/16 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My gut tells me Mitchell will not come out early.

If she is only a junior and her Father is an assistant coach at Ohio State finishing out her four years seems likely IMO.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/03/16 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Mitchell seem like a lock to go #1 in 2018? COming out for 2017 would basically guarantee her going #1.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 12/03/16 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I overestimated Vivians -- I stand corrected.

Mitchell and then ???? ...

PostPosted: 12/03/16 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Does Mitchell seem like a lock to go #1 in 2018? Coming out for 2017 would basically guarantee her going #1.

Mitchell should be a lock at #1 if she comes out in 2017. If not, then it's between Mitchell & Wilson in 2018 sans injuries. Post players usually have the upper hand in getting the #1 spot. Turner could knock on the door, but Mitchell & Wilson aren't letting her in. Gotta see what happens though. Just predictions at this point.

Angus24

PostPosted: 12/03/16 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I cannot believe that Riley will take a guard with the #1 pick unless there is a team desperate for a guard and willing to give up a Big who is better than Coates or Jones. Is there any team that would do that?

Shades

PostPosted: 12/03/16 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
I cannot believe that Riley will take a guard with the #1 pick unless there is a team desperate for a guard and willing to give up a Big who is better than Coates or Jones. Is there any team that would do that?

Are you talking about Mitchell or DeShields?

Trade down with WAS then. They aren't passing on Mitchell unless Thibault is feeling loopy. Since WAS has #2, don't expect a lot in return if #2 is a part of the deal.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/03/16 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd take Plum over Mitchell. And I wouldn't have to think about it twice. Mitchell is fast and athletic and has a decent shot and skill set but she's not a smart basketball player. She takes about 10+ stupid shots a game instead of passing to wide open teammates. If I was on her team I would not want to play with her. She handles the ball most of the time on OSU but she's no point guard.

PostPosted: 12/03/16 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell is a tough case for me too. Terrific one-on-one player. But she gets way too few assists for a 5'8" player to make me think that she isn't going to struggle at the start of her WNBA career when it comes to being a point guard. At 5'8" that is likely going to have to be her spot. Odyssey Sims, who is ten times more inclined to pass than Mitchell is, still struggled with her efficiency last year. If she struggled, I can imagine how much Mitchell might struggle at times while finding her way in the unfamiliar territory of having to set up teammates who might be just as physically skilled or more skilled than her. I like Plum. I think her mobility is better than people think, and I like that her off-the-dribble game enables her to force the game to slow down. I think she has a mobility advantage over someone like Banham let's say.

On Deshields, I don't like using assist/TO ratio as a primary indicator, especially for a 6'0" junior wing player. Turnovers are always much closer to assists in college than they are in the pros, purely because the spacing is so much tighter in college and there's fewer high-end players for the star players to feed off of. That's not to say DD isn't raw. Because she is. And she gets to the line nowhere near enough for a player of her athletic ability. But you also have to look and say man, not only can she score but she also has the vision, handle and passing ability to be a versatile pro. The fact that she has as many assists and turnovers for a 6'0" wing player on the college level isn't really a negative, in my eyes. Angel McCoughtry had 34 FEWER assists than turnovers in a star senior season at Louisville. She's now one of the league's better players when it comes to finding open players off the dribble. That's why you can't really take collegiate numbers and apply them to the pro level. And DD is only a junior playing her second season at Tennessee as well. If she had the benefit of being a four-year player in one program, perhaps her senior season numbers would be more eye-popping.

I know this much. I'll take her on the Liberty in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: 12/03/16 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
I'd take Plum over Mitchell.

Not me.

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Mitchell is fast and athletic and has a decent shot and skill set but she's not a smart basketball player.

Even if this isn't an exaggeration, it could be a coaching problem. Just keep her off Dallas' undisciplined club.

Jet Jaguar wrote:
She takes about 10+ stupid shots a game instead of passing to wide open teammates.

Seems like another exaggeration, but she'll have great teammates at the next level.

Jet Jaguar wrote:
If I was on her team I would not want to play with her.

Isn't this what Ay Mate was saying about Prahalis? Quit copying him.

The reality is McGuff is getting a lot of transfers to OSU because Mitchell is on the team.

Jet Jaguar wrote:
She handles the ball most of the time on OSU but she's no point guard.

And you like Plum better? Did you miss the discussion of her ato her first three years?

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/03/16 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I overestimated Vivians -- I stand corrected.

Mitchell and then ???? ...

Clay please check your PMs

- Amanda Gorman
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/04/16 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades why do you pick apart posts sentence by sentence? Get a life.

PostPosted: 12/04/16 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Shades why do you pick apart posts sentence by sentence?

When there's so much ridiculousness to address in one post, it helps to break it down.

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Get a life.

You first!

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/04/16 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
Shades why do you pick apart posts sentence by sentence?

When there's so much ridiculousness to address in one post, it helps to break it down.

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Get a life.

You first!

You probably have the least amount of basketball knowledge than anyone on this board. You've proven this over and over. All you do is like to contradict people for the fun of it. You comment on every topic, even though you know nothing about it. I only comment on stuff I know about. You have more posts than anyone on this board and most of them are just to start something. Again. Get a life dude.

PostPosted: 12/04/16 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game isn't exactly doing wonders for my pro-DD arguments. Though I do also think a lack of complementary players will hurt any high level collegiate player. She'll have wider lanes to penetrate in the W, which will be beneficial for a player like her who has the athleticism to beat people off the dribble and the hang time to to pull up and make mid-range shots. And, unlike almost any 6'0" player, she dribbles nearly as well with her left hand as she does with her right. That's going to be a big advantage at the next level.

Definitely has to improve her finishing ability at the rim though. She is very much one who likes to shoot only when her shoulders are squared. Which hurts her going to the rim. She has to invite the contact that will come with going to the rim. She doesn't have that extra desire to create contact that some of the great players seem to have. That's something that will have to change if she is going to achieve extra special status in the pros.

PostPosted: 12/04/16 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing that makes this draft interesting is the amount of players who red shirted and are eligible. What would happen in Mercedes Russel came out? Her first three years were pretty disappointing but she has looked a lot better this year. I could see Rebecca Greenwell and Kaela Davis leaving early. I don't think she will leave but Alisha Gray is eligible. Out of the top 10 players coming out of high school in 2013 6 transfered, and 8 redshirted.

PostPosted: 12/04/16 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
11. You must have gotten this pick from draftsite.com? Don't know much about her other that she's from Arkansas. Arkansas in the first round? Has that ever happened?

Shameka Christon, 2004.

PostPosted: 12/07/16 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA GM's Better yet Specifically SFO are Drooling over Gabby Williams Right Now. Sleeper Pick Next Year.

PostPosted: 12/08/16 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
WNBA GM's Better yet Specifically SFO are Drooling over Gabby Williams Right Now. Sleeper Pick Next Year.

No such thing as being a sleeper pick when you're a starter playing 28 minutes per game for Uconn.

I love Gabby's athleticism and hustle.However,at only 5'11(I thought she was 6'1) she'll need to develop her offensive skills(Face-up game,shooting range,ball handling)

sammieee

PostPosted: 12/08/16 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curious on who sits next year when Stevens becomes eligible, unless they go big with Nurse at the 1 and Samuelson at the 2.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 12/08/16 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They have a played that combination already and been successful in fact in the ND game Geno put the ball in KLS hands down the stretch as she makes the right decisions which is why she in bounds the ball for them.

But if Dangerfield improves I see them putting Collier on the bench as I think with Stevens size she sees the floor better and could be a better passer. It would also stop teams from helping on KLS and now Gabby.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 12 of 73

Jump to: