RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big Ten Conference 2016-2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/22/16 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conference records a couple weeks into the OOC season.

Conferences are listed in conf RPI order, although the rpis are not listed.

SEC 45 - 6
Pac 34 - 6
ACC 54 - 8
American Athletic 22 - 13
Big 12 26 - 6
Big East 20 - 11
Big Ten 38 - 18

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/23/16 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

B10 went 1-3 tonight with Illinois scoring a whopping 33 pts vs Mercer.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/23/16 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched the end of Wisconsin's loss to Milwaukee. Tsipsis has a lot of ground to cover.

Bollant's seat must be really hot.

MSU really struggled in a blowout loss to Oregon. Jankoska isn't getting much help.

I'm cautiously optimistic for Michigan's NCAA chances this year. We will see this week what the Wolverines are made of, as they face Gonzaga, Winthrop and Florida State - three games in three days - starting tomorrow.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/23/16 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conference records as of this morning.

SEC 50 - 6
ACC 59 - 8
PAC 38-8
American Athletic 27 - 13
Big East 24 - 12
Big Twelve 30-6
Big Ten 39 - 21
Colonial 28-12

mildred

PostPosted: 11/23/16 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big Ten is bad. Probably cost Maryland and Ohio State a chance at a No. 1 seed. Not that they had a great chance but one of them needs to run the table in the league to have a shot.
The gap between the No. 2 team and No. 3 in the standings could be four or five games.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/23/16 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Conference records as of this morning.

SEC 50 - 6
ACC 59 - 8
PAC 38-8
American Athletic 27 - 13
Big East 24 - 12
Big Twelve 30-6
Big Ten 39 - 21
Colonial 28-12

Hmm. I'm not clued into rpi rankings, but AAC is above BEast, Big 12, and Big Ten? Shocked

Re: the Big Ten itself, it's pretty crappy how teams like Illinois and Nebraska have had to endure the sturm und drang of it all. The Illini were poised to create some good juju with Chatrice, and NE has had such a fine history go flopping down the cellar steps. Rutgers is .... just Rutgers, anymore. What's NOT happening with CViv? Purdue is waay past its glory days--I think they should get Katie Gearlds back in there.

PostPosted: 11/24/16 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mildred wrote:
Big Ten is bad. Probably cost Maryland and Ohio State a chance at a No. 1 seed. Not that they had a great chance but one of them needs to run the table in the league to have a shot.
The gap between the No. 2 team and No. 3 in the standings could be four or five games.

I'm not sure about Maryland, but I can't see Ohio St running the conference table. Showed too many vulnerabilities against SC.

What are your early #1 seeds: BAY, ND, SC, and UConn? Big Ten not getting a #1 seed isn't exactly shocking. The best teams will do some damage though.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/24/16 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

I'm cautiously optimistic for Michigan's NCAA chances this year. We will see this week what the Wolverines are made of, as they face Gonzaga, Winthrop and Florida State - three games in three days - starting tomorrow.

So far they're looking good!

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/25/16 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

So far they're looking good!

Winthrop shouldn't provide too much resistance, but the other 2 teams should! The win over Gonzaga yesterday was excellent, both for Michigan and the B1G. But a win over Florida State will definitely put the Wolverines solidly in the top 25. I think Michigan might make the top 25 next week if they keep the Florida State game very close (or win!).

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/25/16 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
In NW's defense they didn't have Coffey.

Coffey's back tonight and scoring well against Florida.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/27/16 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers won today by scoring 50 over Bryant's 42.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 11/29/16 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio State had 3 games in 3 nights. No wonder Mitchell tossed a 5-20 out. I'm not a fan of back-2-back-2-backs even for the pros (I get that it's necessary for arena schedules, but still). The UConn game should be a good test for both teams.

Maryland's Confroy is missing the 2 graduated PGs. The freshman PG Slocum looks good, just not locating their once best 3 point shooter. Staiti is worth keeping an eye on.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/30/16 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
Ohio State had 3 games in 3 nights. No wonder Mitchell tossed a 5-20 out. I'm not a fan of back-2-back-2-backs even for the pros (I get that it's necessary for arena schedules, but still). The UConn game should be a good test for both teams.

Maryland's Confroy is missing the 2 graduated PGs. The freshman PG Slocum looks good, just not locating their once best 3 point shooter. Staiti is worth keeping an eye on.

It must be tiring for the players, but at least all the tournament teams were in the same boat. Was the shooting bad for all the players? Perhaps McGuff could have managed her minutes better to keep her more fresh?

Playing games back-to-back-to-back is certainly difficult in college, but it's still better than the back-to-back NBA games, in which it is often only one team that has that disadvantage; all teams bear the same hardship in the college game.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 12/01/16 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's something that bugs me, about the latest Big 10 conference tourney. The top teams get the freshness advantage and there's no real way for the bottom teams to pull upsets on days 3 or 4. 1 team is playing basketball, the other is swimming in molasses.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/01/16 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
That's something that bugs me, about the latest Big 10 conference tourney. The top teams get the freshness advantage and there's no real way for the bottom teams to pull upsets on days 3 or 4. 1 team is playing basketball, the other is swimming in molasses.

I believe that's the byes are supposed to be the reward for having a successful regular season. There must be some reward for a team's record during the regular season, or else performing well in conference in the regular season is somewhat meaningless.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/01/16 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
5thmantheme wrote:

I believe that's the byes are supposed to be the reward for having a successful regular season. There must be some reward for a team's record during the regular season, or else performing well in conference in the regular season is somewhat meaningless.

I'm of the view that a seeded folded bracket is enough of a reward. The better you do in the regular season, the weaker your opponents in the tournament.

I'm not a big fan of these double and triple byes either. That's stacking the deck too much.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/01/16 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
5thmantheme wrote:

I'm of the view that a seeded folded bracket is enough of a reward. The better you do in the regular season, the weaker your opponents in the tournament.

I'm not a big fan of these double and triple byes either. That's stacking the deck too much.

I would agree that triple byes are ludicrous. If my team were the high seed, I would rather they play more games. But I'm OK with a double bye if there is no way around it, but without thinking about this much, it seems unlikely that it is necessary. I'm in favor of at most a single bye, as long as the math works out.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/02/16 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:

It's no different than the other conferences with more than 12 teams, like the ACC and the SEC.

Big 12: 10 teams; single bye
AAC: 11 teams; single bye
Pac 12: 12 teams; single bye
Big 10: 14 teams; double bye
SEC: 14 teams; double bye
ACC: 15 teams; double bye

Of the conferences I follow, I'm not aware of a triple bye playoff system. Please fill me in.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 12/09/16 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sure, I'm aware of the double byes. Even with it, the likelyhood of a bottom team playing on Day 5 so far is zero. Northwestern got a major upset win on Day 3 last year, then got slaughtered the next game.

PSU versus Pitt , oh that'll be a snoozer. Wink ... I better go get my gramps a valium ready.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/21/16 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue lost to IUPUI today - the first time in the history of the program. Embarassed

Iowa lost to Drake for the first time in 14 years.

Rutgers is in the basement.

Nebraska is rebuilding and playing one of the hardest schedules.

This is going to be a disappointing season for the collective conference RPI and NCAA bids IMHO.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/22/16 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conference play about to begin.

Maryland has played a crepe paper schedule. Will they go undefeated?

tOSU has played a murderers row. Is the Mitchell show going to provide the offense they need to win the league.

Northwestern has two losses. But is the Gonzaga game a good estimate of where they stand?

Minny will get to incorporate Fernstrom to complement Wagner and Bells perimeter play.

Indy last oks tough.

What else should fans look for in this seasons BIG play.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/22/16 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm looking for a top-four finish for Michigan. I think they can get it back to the NCAA Tournament this year.

Current Jeff Sagarin ratings:

6 Maryland
13 Michigan
19 Ohio St.
27 Iowa
35 Indiana
37 Michigan St.
40 Northwestern
59 Penn St.
62 Minnesota
80 Purdue
121 Nebraska
154 Rutgers
174 Wisconsin
193 Illinois

Massey:
5 Maryland
24 Ohio St
31 Michigan
36 Michigan St
39 Northwestern
40 Iowa
43 Indiana
58 Minnesota
63 Penn St
91 Purdue
139 Nebraska
171 Wisconsin
173 Rutgers
203 Illinois

Shades

PostPosted: 12/22/16 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These ratings are inflexible algorithms that rank based on play up to date, right? They don't take into consideration injury issues or adding an impact transfer for conference play.

Minnesota is adding Fernstrom for conference play. All other things being equal, they can only get better with her addition. I would say these ratings undercut Minnesota's potential.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/22/16 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
These ratings are inflexible algorithms that rank based on play up to date, right? They don't take into consideration injury issues or adding an impact transfer for conference play.

Minnesota is adding Fernstrom for conference play. All other things being equal, they can only get better with her addition. I would say these ratings undercut Minnesota's potential.

Yes, just like any other ratings such as the RPI you post, there are no crystal balls projecting potential.

Michigan is adding Abby Cole, a 6'5" three-time Volleyball All-American middle blocker who was a first time all-state basketball player in high school.

Linnae Harper just made her debut for Ohio State last week.

There are probably others getting to hit the floor for the B1G season who may also impact their teams.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/22/16 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I'm looking for a top-four finish for Michigan. I think they can get it back to the NCAA Tournament this year.

If Michigan can't finish in the top 4 this year they should just give up the sport. This league is about as craptastic as I can ever remember. There are the top 2 and then a whole lot of "stuff".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: