RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 11/13/16 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We could also swap FA if we need to dump Zellous in favor of a SF. we're already overstocked with SGs.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 11/13/16 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Zahui is performing well overseas. But lots of so-so WNBA post players do the same thing. Hopefully it's the type of performance that enables her to build on her skills when she returns to the U.S. At some point I have to settle in to watch some of her games.

Laimbeer has said multiple times her biggest weakness is her confidence. He knows the talent is there, she just needs more confidence on the court.

cappa23MVP

PostPosted: 11/16/16 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Just want to update a prediction I made a while back. The Knicks are off to a terrible start. Only four games, granted, but they are 1-3 and their opponents have thus far averaged 110 points per game. Tonight at Madison Square Garden Houston scored 68 first-half points against the Knicks.

I believe that if the Knicks have a bad first half of the season, Phil Jackson will quit, will get pushed out, or will depart by mutual consent. And that the utter fool who owns the franchise, Jimmy Dolan, will bring in his BFF, sexual harasser Isiah Thomas, to run the Knicks. Which would at least get Isiah away from the Liberty and the WNBA.

Zeke, has been there and done that...not interested in return. "I believe" Zeke will be preparing to become the next President of the U.S. Now that sexual harassment has become a prerequisite in applying for that position.

One man's harassment, is deemed locker room talk...and earns him a 4 year stay at the White House...and another, shouldn't have a job at MSG....LOL

WTF is wrong with this world. Isaiah Thomas should be the least of anyone's worries.

PostPosted: 11/18/16 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cappa23MVP wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Just want to update a prediction I made a while back. The Knicks are off to a terrible start. Only four games, granted, but they are 1-3 and their opponents have thus far averaged 110 points per game. Tonight at Madison Square Garden Houston scored 68 first-half points against the Knicks.

I believe that if the Knicks have a bad first half of the season, Phil Jackson will quit, will get pushed out, or will depart by mutual consent. And that the utter fool who owns the franchise, Jimmy Dolan, will bring in his BFF, sexual harasser Isiah Thomas, to run the Knicks. Which would at least get Isiah away from the Liberty and the WNBA.

Zeke, has been there and done that...not interested in return. "I believe" Zeke will be preparing to become the next President of the U.S. Now that sexual harassment has become a prerequisite in applying for that position.

One man's harassment, is deemed locker room talk...and earns him a 4 year stay at the White House...and another, shouldn't have a job at MSG....LOL

WTF is wrong with this world. Isaiah Thomas should be the least of anyone's worries.

Isiah Thomas is hardly at the top of my worries. But the hideous truth still remains: sexual harasser Isiah currently runs the New York Liberty.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 11/19/16 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 11/19/16 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you guys want to comment on how you think the election went, there's an place on these boards called Area 51 for that. Otherwise let's stick to women's hoops.

PostPosted: 11/19/16 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
If you guys want to comment on how you think the election went, there's an place on these boards called Area 51 for that. Otherwise let's stick to women's hoops.

I have deleted what I wrote about the election.

PostPosted: 11/20/16 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
cappa23MVP wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Isiah Thomas is hardly at the top of my worries. But the hideous truth still remains: sexual harasser Isiah currently runs the New York Liberty.

Yes, Thomas is the President of the NY Liberty, and like so many other things in life, there isn't a darn thing any of us can do about it.

Quite frankly, the Liberty have done well with him at the helm. They have fallen short of the ultimate goal...but they are building something positive.

While I have no problem with calling a thing, a thing....just be consistent with it. I would expect you to label deadbeats as deadbeats....dui offenders as dui offenders...domestic violence abusers as domestic violence abusers...and you won't have to look very far, a few of those are playing in the W...So go ahead knock yourself out.

Enjoy the off season.

PostPosted: 11/20/16 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cappa23MVP wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
cappa23MVP wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Yes, Thomas is the President of the NY Liberty, and like so many other things in life, there isn't a darn thing any of us can do about it.

Quite frankly, the Liberty have done well with him at the helm. They have fallen short of the ultimate goal...but they are building something positive.

While I have no problem with calling a thing, a thing....just be consistent with it. I would expect you to label deadbeats as deadbeats....dui offenders as dui offenders...domestic violence abusers as domestic violence abusers...and you won't have to look very far, a few of those are playing in the W...So go ahead knock yourself out.

Enjoy the off season.

I will speak out when I choose on the issues I care about most. Everyone who posts here has that right.

PostPosted: 11/20/16 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
cappa23MVP wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
cappa23MVP wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Enjoy the off season.

I will speak out when I choose on the issues I care about most. Everyone who posts here has that right.

Oh I wasn't questioning your right to do so, like you, I was merely "calling a thing, a thing"...in my Iyanla voice.

Enjoy the off season!

PostPosted: 11/20/16 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whether any of us likes it or not, Isiah Thomas may well have saved the existence of the New York Liberty. Two seasons ago Laimbeer wasn't even invited back at first, and there was talk of Dolan cutting bait. Without Isiah being instrumental in the rehiring of Laimbeer, we might be looking at a far different scenario than discussing whether or not the Libs have a chance to win it all in 2017.

That's not to ignore what Isiah might or might not have done in the past. I don't know all those facts one way or the other anyway. But I think it's crystal clear that without Isiah's input, we'd be looking at a much bleaker state of affairs within the Liberty organization. If we even had an organization at all.

PostPosted: 11/20/16 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
That's not to ignore what Isiah might or might not have done in the past. I don't know all those facts one way or the other anyway. But I think it's crystal clear that without Isiah's input, we'd be looking at a much bleaker state of affairs within the Liberty organization. If we even had an organization at all.

I guess a long trial and a very strong ruling from a jury doesn't mean much to you. After all, you "don't know all those facts." From where I sit, you sure as hell ARE ignoring what Isiah did to Anucha Browne. Oh, I forgot: basketball is everything. Who cares about women being sexually harassed? Even when the victim is a sports executive working for Madison Square Garden.

PostPosted: 11/21/16 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I guess a long trial and a very strong ruling from a jury doesn't mean much to you. After all, you "don't know all those facts." From where I sit, you sure as hell ARE ignoring what Isiah did to Anucha Browne. Oh, I forgot: basketball is everything. Who cares about women being sexually harassed? Even when the victim is a sports executive working for Madison Square Garden.

Pretty much all of us, including NYL_WNBA_FAN, were pretty outraged and outspoken when Isiah's involvement with the Liberty was announced. That said, it's been two seasons and letting the fox into the hen house hasn't resulted in any dead hens. The fact is, the women on the team seem to accept him. I've seen him and T-Spoon do their sales pitch together, and they look pretty happy in each other's company. We've also heard players like Boyd talk about how much Isiah has helped them with their game. Who knows, maybe he actually learned his lesson. Maybe Isiah has truly reformed.

We give serious criminals a second chance when they come out of prison. Your choices as a society are to terminate their life, segregate them through banishment or continued imprisonment or give them a second chance. Obviously, what Isiah did isn't on that level. However, since all workplaces have women, do we drop an occupational death sentence on him? Giving someone a second chance doesn't mean you condone what they did in the past. It just means that we believe/hope people can change and be rehabilitated. You compartmentalize what they did and keep a watchful eye on them. They will always carry the stigma of past actions. Give them an opportunity to prove that they've changed, but be ready to slam the door at the first sign of trouble.

We've seen through the Black Lives Matter protest that the Liberty players are a group of strong women who aren't afraid of the repercussions of taking a stand. Maybe we should just trust them to stand up for themselves in this situation. Life is complicated. I don't think most of those Trump voters elected him because they approve of his inflammatory rhetoric or his past behavior. They voted for him because they hope he can bring their jobs back, and some are probably praying he won't be as bad as his rhetoric. Maybe it's just shit he said to get the extra yahoo vote to put him over the top. Strange and ugly bedfellows, but such are the compromises of life. Let's take a negative view and assume that Isiah hasn't really changed in his heart. However, he is now smart enough to keep his hands to himself and be quiet. In return, Isiah keeps the franchise alive. If Bernert, the female coaches, and the players can live with him -- which seems to be the case -- then so can I.

Now, back to my hiatus.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/21/16 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Pretty much all of us, including NYL_WNBA_FAN, were pretty outraged and outspoken when Isiah's involvement with the Liberty was announced. That said, it's been two seasons and letting the fox into the hen house hasn't resulted in any dead hens. The fact is, the women on the team seem to accept him. I've seen him and T-Spoon do their sales pitch together, and they look pretty happy in each other's company. We've also heard players like Boyd talk about how much Isiah has helped them with their game. Who knows, maybe he actually learned his lesson. Maybe Isiah has truly reformed.

We give serious criminals a second chance when they come out of prison. Your choices as a society are to terminate their life, segregate them through banishment or continued imprisonment or give them a second chance. Obviously, what Isiah did isn't on that level. However, since all workplaces have women, do we drop an occupational death sentence on him? Giving someone a second chance doesn't mean you condone what they did in the past. It just means that we believe/hope people can change and be rehabilitated. You compartmentalize what they did and keep a watchful eye on them. They will always carry the stigma of past actions. Give them an opportunity to prove that they've changed, but be ready to slam the door at the first sign of trouble.

We've seen through the Black Lives Matter protest that the Liberty players are a group of strong women who aren't afraid of the repercussions of taking a stand. Maybe we should just trust them to stand up for themselves in this situation. Life is complicated. I don't think most of those Trump voters elected him because they approve of his inflammatory rhetoric or his past behavior. They voted for him because they hope he can bring their jobs back, and some are probably praying he won't be as bad as his rhetoric. Maybe it's just shit he said to get the extra yahoo vote to put him over the top. Strange and ugly bedfellows, but such are the compromises of life. Let's take a negative view and assume that Isiah hasn't really changed in his heart. However, he is now smart enough to keep his hands to himself and be quiet. In return, Isiah keeps the franchise alive. If Bernert, the female coaches, and the players can live with him -- which seems to be the case -- then so can I.

Now, back to my hiatus.

I agree with many of your statements here. I'd just suggest the following:

1. Is Isiah Thomas now "smart enough to keep his hands to himself and be quiet"? He has kept quiet lately. That's true. But upon taking his current job with the Liberty, he flagrantly lied about his harassment of Anucha Browne. I hope he never again sexually harasses any woman, inside or outside Madison Square Garden.

2. Let's take at face value everything the Liberty players have said about how Isiah has helped them. I have no reason to doubt that. But let's also remember all the other women working for Madison Square Garden, some of whom surely aren't in as strong a position to challenge Isiah as Anucha Browne was, as a player for the Liberty might be.

3. I don't believe in dropping "an occupational death sentence" on Isiah Thomas (or almost anyone). I have no problem with him getting 100 basketball jobs out there. But he should not be working in a high position in the very organization and the very building where he sexually harassed Anucha Browne.

PostPosted: 11/23/16 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to be clear, I didn't believe that Isiah Thomas should be anywhere near the New York Liberty either, based on that verdict. But the facts are both that he is and he was instrumental in keeping the franchise alive.

I am thankful, however, that the Liberty have been sustained. And I also believe in second chances for people. The fact that he has done some good for a sport played by and largely supported by women has actually done some good for both the women who play for the Liberty and those who support them. There's gray areas to everything in life, like Root Thing said above. I agree with what he wrote.

PostPosted: 11/28/16 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The main questions about the Liberty are...
1. Can Bill Laimbeer create the same championship winning culture in NY as he did in Detroit with the Shock?
2. Does he have the roster to do so? Tina Charles is a great player and a great post to have on your team but she doesn't have the toughness of past Shock post players (Ford, Pierson, Braxton). I find Charles is a bit soft. She's a great player to have on your team but she's not going to really elevate your team. She didn't really elevate the team when she was with the Sun, she just elevated her own personal stats which sometimes I think are more important to her. Prince returns next season but will she be as good? What about her overseas commitments? They always interfere with the WNBA.
3. Does he still have that swagger that carried over to his Shock players?
4. Is he still as good a coach now as he was back then?

I don't see NY as being as strong next year as they were this year. But then again, with the sad state of the Eastern Conference, who knows. Indiana will most likely be crap without Catchings to lead the way and it's unsure how chemistry will be with Chatman coaching (a certain player from Chicago, SF, said she'd rather sit out than play for her anymore, and another certain player, EDD, may or may not have been the reason she was fired), Washington won't be much better than they were this past season under Mike the Choke Thibault and his basically non-talented roster, he'll really need to be smart in the upcoming draft, Chicago has EDD and an aging Pondexter but they have an unknown new coach which will probably make them struggle early on in the season, perhaps the entire season. Atlanta is always a tough team and now they finally have some more good players around Angel (EWill, Clarendon) but the problem there seems to be Cooper no? The Sun should be better next year now that they've had a full season under Miller and the return of healthy players next year, but Miller's coaching had me scratching my head more than he had me amazed.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/28/16 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
The main questions about the Liberty are...
1. Can Bill Laimbeer create the same championship winning culture in NY as he did in Detroit with the Shock?
2. Does he have the roster to do so? Tina Charles is a great player and a great post to have on your team but she doesn't have the toughness of past Shock post players (Ford, Pierson, Braxton). I find Charles is a bit soft. She's a great player to have on your team but she's not going to really elevate your team. She didn't really elevate the team when she was with the Sun, she just elevated her own personal stats which sometimes I think are more important to her. Prince returns next season but will she be as good? What about her overseas commitments? They always interfere with the WNBA.
3. Does he still have that swagger that carried over to his Shock players?
4. Is he still as good a coach now as he was back then?

I don't see NY as being as strong next year as they were this year. But then again, with the sad state of the Eastern Conference, who knows. Indiana will most likely be crap without Catchings to lead the way and it's unsure how chemistry will be with Chatman coaching (a certain player from Chicago, SF, said she'd rather sit out than play for her anymore, and another certain player, EDD, may or may not have been the reason she was fired), Washington won't be much better than they were this past season under Mike the Choke Thibault and his basically non-talented roster, he'll really need to be smart in the upcoming draft, Chicago has EDD and an aging Pondexter but they have an unknown new coach which will probably make them struggle early on in the season, perhaps the entire season. Atlanta is always a tough team and now they finally have some more good players around Angel (EWill, Clarendon) but the problem there seems to be Cooper no? The Sun should be better next year now that they've had a full season under Miller and the return of healthy players next year, but Miller's coaching had me scratching my head more than he had me amazed.

As a Liberty fan, I have great respect for Tina Charles and Bill Laimbeer. I could write at greater length about both and every word would be positive. Is Tina Charles "a bit soft"? No way. Can she "elevate" our team? She already has.

PostPosted: 11/28/16 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

I don't see NY as being as strong next year as they were this year.

That's what I thought after 2015, and they proved me wrong. I don't see why they can't carry over their regular-season success with another 18+win season.

They're still not getting past any of the Western powerhouses in a series that goes beyond 1 game, though...but who is?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 11/29/16 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They won 21 games last year without Piph for two-thirds of the season and semi-effective for the final third. Not to mention having as few as seven healthy players down the stretch.

Any team is as good as its supporting cast. In my estimation, if you took Charles off of the Liberty, the only two players who you could sub for her and have them win 21 games would have been Maya or Parker. Obviously if you had Maya, part of the construct would have been different...probably no Zellous in free agency and possibly the addition of a post. But in terms of effect on a team, Maya and Parker are it.

Will their supporting cast be good enough? That's in flux. But one thing you have to figure they will have in 2017 for the first time is 3 big scorers. Whether that's with Piph and Rodgers (you aren't keeping Rodgers as a likely max free agent if she isn't starting) or a sign-and-trade involving whoever you get for Rodgers, we'll see.

PostPosted: 11/29/16 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA speak at Wapato HS for Native American Heritage Month

http://www.kapptv.com/article/2016/nov/29/wnba-stars-shoni-and-jude-schimmel-speak-wapato-hi/

Quote:

"Go out there and follow your dreams don't let anybody tell you that you can't do anything," said Shoni Schimmel.

Adding that even when you’ve reached your goal, continue to challenge yourself.

"you know for all of our lives we did nothing but pursue our dreams and I was a young kid saying to myself I want to do something and here I am doing it so you know you have to go out there," said Shoni Schimmel.

But most importantly never forget to give back to the people who gave to you and helped you get to where you wanted to be, once you’ve reached your goal.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 11/30/16 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Piph ain't doing so well overseas. Only averaging 8 ppg, 2 rpg & 2.3 apg in 25 mpg. Hopefully Bill is looking for a SF this offseason.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/01/16 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are those well below her typical numbers overseas or just slightly below? Figure in May she will be about 17 months removed from her injury. I'm honestly not too concerned. She retained her hops and showed flashes of her change of pace ability in the playoff game. 17 months removed, and showing a strong maintenance of her ability in September, I feel good about where she will be by May.

On another note, I like the schedule a lot better from a personal standpoint. I'll be able to get to DC and to Connecticut. There's two weekday day games as opposed to 3 last year. The season starts early but ends in September rather than in mid-August as it did with an early start in 2014. The Liberty have no back-to-backs, so I am leaning toward the possibility that no team has any, but I'm not sure.

And we play Connecticut 4 times, which is a potential advantage. No disrespect to them, they have young and talented players. But they've lost Chiney to an injury that has potentially long-term ramifications and their mix of players wasn't so great either, though it did appear to improve when Bone was dealt. But still, that's better than having the extra game against an Indy team that dominated us for much of the last two seasons. Also 2 games at home vs. the two WNBA finalists. Definitely beats last year's schedule.

PostPosted: 12/02/16 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2016 Season in Review – Amanda Zahui B

http://liberty.wnba.com/news/2016-season-review-amanda-zahui-b/

Quote:
The No. 2 overall pick in 2015, Zahui B averaged 3.4 points and 2.4 rebounds per game as a rookie for Tulsa. New York saw a versatile post player with a rare skill set, as Zahui B consistently was able to show off her range, defensive timing, and ability to finish at the basket as she grew more and more comfortable in Bill Laimbeer’s system. New York parted with its 2017 1st Round Draft pick in the trade, a move that appears to have already paid dividends as Zahui B wasted no time becoming a difference maker.

Quote:
As she enters her 3rd year in the league, all eyes will be on her to see how those flashes throughout the 2016 season will be harbingers of what she will accomplish entering a familiar setting this time around.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 12/02/16 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The three things I'm most worried about heading into the offseason is.

1.) Securing a capable starting SF.
2.) Developing Boyd into our starting PG.
3.) The health of Prince.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/03/16 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

You should be VERY worried if this is the plan

PostPosted: 12/03/16 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Yes...Yes (tho I think we can get by with her splitting time with wright) Prince's health is paramount to 1 and 2...especially if we trade Rodgers to satisify 1...which likely would be the chip we have. Said it before If Bill couldn't trust Allen with a second of PT in the playoffs I don't think she's gonna fill the starting role for the level we want next year tho she could be the future there so if they want to bring in an aging veteran and platoon with Allen that is an option,...but don't think starting Z with Allen as the true 3 on the bench is...the days of 2s as starting 3s are over IMHO

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 6 of 80

Jump to: