RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cal Poly @ UCLA (9) - 11/20/16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 11/20/16 10:36 am    ::: Cal Poly @ UCLA (9) - 11/20/16 Reply Reply with quote

Los Angeles, CA - 1:00 PM PT

Watch: http://pac-12.com/live/ucla

Listen: http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/2016/8/16/live-audio.aspx

Live Stats: http://uclabruins.com/livestats

Today at 1pm UCLA faces the Cal Poly Mustangs.

Cal Poly returns last year's top-scoring player, rebounder and shot-blocker: 6'3" F, Hannah Gilbert. Gilbert was second in the Big West last year in FG% (54%), and was a second-team All-Big West selection, and this year is a member of the preseason All-Big West team. Joining her on that team is junior guard Dynn Leaupepe, not to be confused with junior guard Lynn Leaupepe.

Seems as though, often times, these small-school opponents of ours turn out to be long distance bombers, but not this Mustang team, apparently... so far this season they're only hitting like 3 treys per game, and attempting only about 12. I wanna say that UCLA can afford to sag off the perimeter today and just focus on stopping Gilbert, but that'd very-certainly jinx things for the Bruins, so I'm going to go ahead and not say that.

Cal Poly's a good rebounding team... they were second in the conference last year, behind only the NCAA-tourney-participant Hawaii. When Coach Close has expressed much of any frustration about this particular Bruin squad it's sometimes concerned the consistency of UCLA's effort on the glass, so that'll be something to keep an eye on today.

Cal Poly also is a solid defensive team... again, second in the conference last year in FG% allowed, behind only that same Hawaii team.

Massey-- still mostly proceeding off last year's stats-- projects a 30-point win for UCLA today, roughly in line with what Stanford did against 'em on Nov. 11th. We'll see what happens in irl.

See you at Pauley!

Shades

PostPosted: 11/20/16 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4-2 UCLA early on

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 11/20/16 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA won, 80-64.

Jordin Canada came within one single assist of her second consecutive triple-double. That accomplishment (back-to-back triple-doubles) would've been a first in UCLAWBB history, and it would've tied Jordin with Ann Meyers for the UCLA career record in triple-doubles. Alas, for the entire 4th quarter, maximizing team performance seemed to take a backseat to accomplishing this milestone for Jordin... her teammates appeared a bit anxious, trying so hard to hit that last assisted bucket for Jordin, and they had *so many* opportunities, but none of them fell.

So it didn't happen.

Meanwhile, Cal Poly didn't stop playing, so a 30+ point margin in the 3rd-quarter had shrunken to a 16-point margin when time had expired.

Still, the game was never in doubt. Despite a very poor shooting day from the perimeter (6-34, for 17%), and a shortened game from Mo Billings (which resulted in her own personal double-double streak being snapped at... I wanna say, six?), UCLA won this game easily.

Kailapea

PostPosted: 11/21/16 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
UCLA won, 80-64.

Jordin Canada came within one single assist of her second consecutive triple-double. .

As much as I would have loved to see Jordin get her 2nd triple double in a row, I felt it was very forced and at some point the Bruins game play went out the window, for the sake of the trip dub. Obviously Cal Poly could care less and kept doing their thing. And though the outcome was truly never in doubt they lost me when the sole focus became Jordin.....

Having said that...... Great team win.....

PostPosted: 11/21/16 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
UCLA won, 80-64.

Jordin Canada came within one single assist of her second consecutive triple-double. .

As much as I would have loved to see Jordin get her 2nd triple double in a row, I felt it was very forced and at some point the Bruins game play went out the window, for the sake of the trip dub. Obviously Cal Poly could care less and kept doing their thing. And though the outcome was truly never in doubt they lost me when the sole focus became Jordin.....

Having said that...... Great team win.....

It's true, you're not wrong. On the Bruin half of the ledger, the entire game did transition very, very, single-mindedly, into a quest to get Jordin her second-consecutive triple-double. It would've been a genuinely historic accomplishment-- something that's never happened at UCLA, ever. And though it would've been Jordin's name in the record-book, it honestly would've been a team accomplishment, and I really do think that the team wanted to get it for her. At the same time, I think it's fair to criticize that choice... for the better part of the second-half, the Bruins were not playing a balanced game, they were not focused on improving on a possession-by-possession basis, and they allowed one player's statistical quest to be elevated above anything resembling organic team basketball.

For me: it's a tough call. I was so eager to see that back-to-back trip dub happen, and I really can't criticize the staff for allowing Jordin to go for it. But I can't fault others for feeling critical of that choice. And though it's just a guess, I personally doubt we'll see the coaching staff allow the team to again focus on individual statistical pursuits anytime soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: