RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hangtyme24

PostPosted: 11/20/16 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we don't bring back Wauters and Dublevic would we be able to afford someone like Camille Little?

Toliver/Gray
Beard/Williams
Carson/Dabovic
Parker/Little
Ogwumike/Lavender

Plus our #4 pick.

PostPosted: 11/20/16 2:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
If we don't bring back Wauters and Dublevic would we be able to afford someone like Camille Little?

Toliver/Gray
Beard/Williams
Carson/Dabovic
Parker/Little
Ogwumike/Lavender

Plus our #4 pick.

Isn't Marianna Tolo interested in rejoining the party? She may not be a big scoring threat, but she plays defense well and converts dirty points.

Last edited by jap on 11/20/16 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 11/20/16 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm wondering about Tolo too. She fit in pretty nicely until she got injured...
The team seemed a little deflated after that happened and I would love for them to get a true 5 that Coach would play Razz

Perhaps, this tweet provides some indication that they still consider her a part of the team:

https://twitter.com/LA_Sparks/status/798594176103239680

Of course, verification by staff before posting has neeever been a WNBA strong point! Laughing

I really like Little and never thought of her for the Sparks. Apparently she is playing in China either with or instead of CP (I'm confused about what is happening over there). At any rate, what made you think of her on the squad, hangtyme24? I love her toughness and she seems to be a great team mate and leader.

I do wonder if her and Lav may are a bit redundant...you know? I think she is a better defender but both are bigs with face up/mid range game. Lav is basically automatic with hers and Little can hit the 3..hmmm. This is definitely an interesting thought, for sure.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/20/16 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tolo could replace Gruda at backing up the 4 spot. Then bring in a younger post as the 5th post option(Hamson?).

PG: Toliver/Gray
SG: Beard/Williams/Dabovic
SF: Carson/draft pick
PF: Parker/Tolo
C: Ogwumike/Lavender/Hamson

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
jap

PostPosted: 11/20/16 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Tolo could replace Gruda at backing up the 4 spot. Then bring in a younger post as the 5th post option(Hamson?).

This is all assuming Alana comes back, which isn't a certainty. I want her back for at least one more season, but only she can decide whether her body, mind, & spirit have had enough.

PostPosted: 11/20/16 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Tolo is a true center while Lavender is a true PF..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 11/20/16 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I would consider Lavender more of a center than Parker.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
hangtyme24

PostPosted: 11/20/16 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
I'm wondering about Tolo too. She fit in pretty nicely until she got injured...
The team seemed a little deflated after that happened and I would love for them to get a true 5 that Coach would play Razz

Perhaps, this tweet provides some indication that they still consider her a part of the team:

https://twitter.com/LA_Sparks/status/798594176103239680

Of course, verification by staff before posting has neeever been a WNBA strong point! Laughing

I really like Little and never thought of her for the Sparks. Apparently she is playing in China either with or instead of CP (I'm confused about what is happening over there). At any rate, what made you think of her on the squad, hangtyme24? I love her toughness and she seems to be a great team mate and leader.

I do wonder if her and Lav may are a bit redundant...you know? I think she is a better defender but both are bigs with face up/mid range game. Lav is basically automatic with hers and Little can hit the 3..hmmm. This is definitely an interesting thought, for sure.

I was looking on the Connecticut post and saw Little was an UFA. I've always liked Little's blue collar like game and hustle. Like Lavender, Little has ventured further and further from the basket but i think she'd be an upgrade over anyone not named Lavender coming off our bench. I like Tolo as well and she was a key defender for us before injury so I'd be happy to have either. I guess we hold Tolo's rights so we'll see.

PostPosted: 11/20/16 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Certainly by body type. It's odd how much better Lavender is at the face-up midrange game than in the low post, though.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/20/16 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Certainly by body type. It's odd how much better Lavender is at the face-up midrange game than in the low post, though.

Parker is good in the low post?

Didn't Parker play PF in college with Anosike as the center? Lavender was definitely a center in college.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 11/21/16 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Didn't Parker play PF in college with Anosike as the center? Lavender was definitely a center in college.

I would consider both a PF. The few times that Parker is in the low post she has better a better game there then Lavender. Lavender wants to face up and shoot that elbow jumpshot every time she gets and teams let her..

But anyway Tolo would be cheaper then Little and give them some length against Griner Fowles etc. so that Ogwumike doesnt get into foul trouble against them. A post bench duo of Lavender and Tolo is pretty good.
Little and Lavender are too similar but Little ofcourse is a much better defender.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
CompSci87

PostPosted: 11/21/16 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mispost

Last edited by CompSci87 on 11/21/16 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
CompSci87

PostPosted: 11/21/16 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Where did I say Parker is good in the low post? My comment was that Lavender has a center's body type but seems better at face-up shots than in the post.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/21/16 2:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
Shades wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Where did I say Parker is good in the low post? My comment was that Lavender has a center's body type but seems better at face-up shots than in the post.

If you look back, I was comparing Parker and Lavender. Why make a statement about Lavender's low post game without comparing it to Parker's?

And Michelle, just because Lavender has successfully expanded her game to a face-up and long mid-range game doesn't mean she has forgotten how to be a center. She's been doing it long enough. 2011 draft class. Fours years at OSU plus she started as a center for the Sparks up until this year she was the first post off the bench for either post position.

zune69

PostPosted: 11/21/16 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lavender is a center with a good outside shot.No way in hell can she guard the PF position.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 11/21/16 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotcha, hangtyme24! I would love to have Tolo back but I'm wondering how she is doing. I know she is playing in the WNBL but can't even remember her during the Olympics. Hmmm...ok, she is averaging a dbl-dbl, is 1st in blocks and second in assists on her team! Who knows how it will translate to the W but come on back, Tolo!!

LA posts:

Parker definitely doesn't want to bang around in the post and I get it. I don't think that has ever been her game. From her talking about how her father trained her, she was groomed to be a hybrid player (multiple positions) but as she said, she is 170 soaking wet and I don't think she has ever been the banging type of player. (Heck, Lisa Leslie who was a 5 said when she saw how big and strong the posts were getting (e.g. Syl), she thought about retirement! lol!) Someone said earlier in CP's W career that she handles like a guard and finishes like a post; however, it is not off of banging but finesse. I think that is a decent description of her although if you look at her rookie debut (also known as the "Cappie just got off the plane" game Laughing), truly what couldn't she do?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBfy_8dXk2w

Eight years of year round play, a baby and a number of injuries definitely makes a difference, but she still does her thing!

Lav is definitely more of a 5 but I love her mid range game because she capitalizes off of the holes the defense leaves on the court. When Lav comes in, she makes the defense have to adjust. Lav will bang but that is not where she hurts the other team. Nneka overcomes in the post not necessarily by banging but by athleticism and footwork and it is a thing of beauty! Wauters is a 5 but good grief she couldn't get any time on the court. I've heard some speculation that she may be preparing to transition into coaching. One post we are not discussing is Gruda.

I definitely understand that anyone who has only seen her in the W these last few years would not be impressed but the woman is good and has been for quite a while. She was Euroleague player of the year a few years ago and she played with Parker at UMMC (Russia) all of the time CP was there. She is a 4/5 work horse with an unorthodoxed looking J and has a strong defensive presence. Here are a few clips of her:

France vs. Russia 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPCG-8FOFb8
Fenerbahce 2016:

https://twitter.com/WNBAOverseas/status/794219283467341824

It seems that coaches in the US have struggled to get her integrated into their system (but European coaches know what to do with her). She did come late this season though and Coach does love European players, so hopefully they have plans for her going forward. Right now, she is playing with Fenerbahce (Turkey) with Lav and Quigley (that seems to be the team's big three). In their Euroleague games, she has the highest player efficiency on the squad (24.5) and is averaging 19p, 7.5r, 3.5a to Lav's 11p, 5r, 1.5a. Now, let me say that she is playing 5 more minutes than Lav but I suspect that part of it is that they are more familiar with Gruda's game. I hope they both do well and develop some nice chemistry to bring back to the Sparks!

Last edited by WfanFrJmp on 11/22/16 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 11/21/16 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Lavender is a center with a good outside shot.No way in hell can she guard the PF position.

Parker cant guard either position but she is still a PF.. Im looking at her offensive game

zune69

PostPosted: 11/21/16 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Parker cant guard either position but she is still a PF.. Im looking at her offensive game

Candace is a better defender than Lavender when she chooses to be.And just because Lavender can knock down a 20 foot jump shot does not mean she is better suited to play PF on offense.

1.Lavender does not have the handles to create her own shot.

2.Playing Jantel at PF would hurt LA's transition defense.

3.When Jantel is playing the 5 spot,opposing centers have no choice but to step away from the basket and guard Jantel on the perimeter.This creates driving lanes for the guards & forwards.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 11/22/16 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Candace is a better defender than Lavender when she chooses to be.And just because Lavender can knock down a 20 foot jump shot does not mean she is better suited to play PF on offense.

3.When Jantel is playing the 5 spot,opposing centers have no choice but to step away from the basket and guard Jantel on the perimeter.This creates driving lanes for the guards & forwards.

90% of the time Parker chooses to be a liability on defense..

1. Since when does playing PF mean that you have to have handles to create your own shot and the center doesnt? Comparing her handles to Parkers is not really fair..

2. I dont see why playing Jantel at the PF position on offense has something to do with their transistion defense? Ogwumike is guarding the opponents best postplayer when she is on the floor with Lavender anyway and Tolo can run the floor and take over the toughest defensive task when she is on the floor with Lavender. Also we are talking about bench rotations(opponents) here...

3. Playing Lavender at center on offense doesnt guarantee that opposing teams are having their center guarding her. If she plays with Tolo for example then opposing teams will guard Lavender with their PF probably. If she is playing with Parker or Ogwumike then opposing teams will have their weakest post defender on her so i dont really get the point..

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/22/16 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Candace's 'handle' results in a LOT of TOs. She would be better served to let her guards do the handling. If LA has an issue, it's that all three of their 'best' bigs are really PFs. Nneka has taken it on herself to be the grind it out defender in the post, but she is undersized and I think it would help if they had a Tolo to take some of the pressure off her. I thought Wauters might help in that regard but she appears to be past it.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 11/22/16 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Candace's 'handle' results in a LOT of TOs. She would be better served to let her guards do the handling. If LA has an issue, it's that all three of their 'best' bigs are really PFs. Nneka has taken it on herself to be the grind it out defender in the post, but she is undersized and I think it would help if they had a Tolo to take some of the pressure off her. I thought Wauters might help in that regard but she appears to be past it.

In fact, Candace Parker had the most turnovers in the league last season

PostPosted: 11/24/16 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jantel's in a unique situation.Ogwumike is most productive around the basket area,but is the best option for guarding power forwards.From a defensive standpoint,Ogwumike is a non-traditional center.No other center in the league is capable of guarding sf/pf/c.This affords Jantel the luxury of playing PF on offense without having to guard said position on defense.To be perfectly honest,Ogwumike is not even a center.The sparks are starting two PF's.The first post off the bench is a center(Lavender).Jantel starting at PF for any team in the wnba would be a complete failure.

Could Jantel start alongside Griner ? Boyette ? Paris ? Swords ? Dolson ? Williams ? Larkins ? Fowles ? Appel ?

The answer is a resounding "No".....Jantel would get exposed on the defensive side of the ball.Jantel imo is more of a center than PF.

Parker's turnover total is irrelevant.Players with high usage rates usually rank among the league leaders in turnovers.Despite the high turnover total,Candace still had a better asst/to ratio than Mccoughtry,Taurasi,Sims,Stewart,Diggins,Loyd,etc

Also,the Candace bashing needs to stop.....she just won a championship.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/24/16 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mentioning Parker's weakness is not 'bashing' her. I was totally pissed off at USA for not including her in the Olys since she is clearly one of the best players in the world. I resent that implication - mentioning the FACT that she gets lots of TOs, and some of them have nothing to do with usage but just that she tries to be Magic J instead of friggin passing the ball to a guard, is simply pointing out a flaw in her game and has NOTHING TO DO WITH BASHING. She's a great player and just won a championship but that doesn't make her a goddess beyond criticism.

And personally I think Lavender would be just fine as a PF operating with those bigs you mentioned. She's not great defensively as either a PF or a C. There are other PFs in the league who also aren't great. That doesn't mean they'd be better playing C. And she clearly doesn't like the contact required to bash under the basket.

- Amanda Gorman
zune69

PostPosted: 11/24/16 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
NOTHING TO DO WITH BASHING.

It is bashing.......MCcoughtry averaged just as many turnovers as Parker but pilight will seldom say anything about it.

Most turnovers 2016

Parker 98 in 34 gms- 2.9 per gm in 30.8 min per gm
Angel 96 in 33 gms- 2.9 per gm in 30.0 min per gm

Infact,Mccoughtry led the league in turnovers 3 consecutive seasons.

2015:
Angel 107
charles 82

2014:
Angel 116
Diggins 97

2013:
Angel 134
Taurasi 116

Mccoughtry is avg 3.0 asst to 2.9 TO for her career while Parker is avg 3.8 asst to 2.5 TO.

myrtle wrote:
There are other PFs in the league who also aren't great. That doesn't mean they'd be better playing C.

Unlike most PF's in the league,Jantel has a very recent history of playing the center position.

Last edited by zune69 on 11/24/16 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
zune69

PostPosted: 11/24/16 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Player comparison Asst/to ratio.

Whalen 2.32
Bird 2.08
Moore 1.70
Taurasi 1.53
Parker 1.52
Swoopes 1.52
Cooper 1.44
Catchings 1.43
Smith 1.37
Jackson 0.82
Leslie 0.73
T.Thompson 0.64

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 4 of 21

Jump to: