RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 10/10/16 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aerial Powers aims to build on strong WNBA debut season

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/womens-basketball/2016/10/10/aerial-powers-aims-build-strong-wnba-debut-season/91846776/

Quote:
"The first season was amazing and finally getting to play against the girls I've been looking up to my whole life (was great)," Powers said. "Then actually making an impact on my team as a rookie — that was an amazing season for me so I'm excited for next year."

Quote:
The 6-foot Powers said she settled in for the Wings after gradually getting acclimated to the speed and pace of the WNBA game. As the season progressed she found herself thinking less and being able to score and facilitate more for Dallas.

what the

PostPosted: 10/11/16 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Not really a surprise considering her home is on the outskirts of Dallas and she asked to be traded to the Wings.

Hopefully she's physically ok to play next season. She has dealt with quite a number of injuries in recent years and a mini-season of Australian Rules Football early next year will stress her body in different ways to basketball. It's a very physical sport.

don't be surprised if Erin wins the inaugural mvp for this football league
pilight

PostPosted: 10/14/16 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skylar Diggins is filling in for Jemele Hill on His & Hers today

PostPosted: 10/27/16 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From Michelle Smith...article posted on wnba.com:

"Nobody’s perfect. The Phoenix Mercury were a disappointment during the regular season before reaching the semifinal round. The Dallas Stars struggled with injuries during a difficult first season in their new home city. The officiating issued corrections on missed calls in the final two games of the Finals. A late-season injury took Elena Delle Donne out of Chicago Sky’s postseason run."

Honestly, how much effort would it have been to contact Michelle to correct her gaff. Nobody's perfect indeed. Rolling Eyes

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/27/16 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my experience, informing ESPN that there are errors in their women's basketball articles doesn't lead to them bothering to correct the mistakes.

PostPosted: 11/02/16 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ruth is having herself a lovely time down here Laughing

Quote:
Every time a bush near the trail would rustle I would jump backwards (or run... probably run more than jump if we're being honest here). I would then stomp my feet on the ground in the hopes that the vibrations would warn these unidentified creatures of my presence. And just incase they weren't in tune with those vibrations I would loudly say something like, "Okay Snakes. Go away. I'm just minding my own business. I don't want to see you today.". Then after I deemed it safe I would continue my journey past that bush. Usually the bush passing part also involved a 'casual-sprint-by'.

http://www.ruthhamblin.com/blog/the-australian-wilderno

Hopefully she survives the summer, because her game is building nicely so far.

PostPosted: 11/18/16 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aerial Powers Out 4-6 Months After Hip Surgery

http://www.slamonline.com/wnba/aerial-powers-4-6-months-hip-surgery/

Quote:
The 6-foot forward sat out the final two games of the 2016 WNBA season and did not join KEB Hana, her offseason club in South Korea, for the 2016–17 offseason.

PostPosted: 11/18/16 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hip surgery after one season? That's rough. I wonder if it's similar to Fowles' injury a couple years ago. Cartilage?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 11/18/16 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Dallas Wings guard Aerial Powers underwent successful surgery yesterday, November 17, to repair a tear in her hip labrum. The surgery was deemed a success.

Powers, a 2016 WNBA All-Rookie Selection, will spend the next few months rehabbing in Dallas.

http://wings.wnba.com/news/official-statement-forward-aerial-powers-surgery/

Shades

PostPosted: 11/19/16 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's Christmas in Korea

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/19/16 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still wondering if anyone on here went to a Wing's home game ...

PostPosted: 11/20/16 2:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I did, at the beginning of the season.
pilight

PostPosted: 11/20/16 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aerial Powers is a friend of Kenya

http://www.kenyaandfriends.com/index.php/pre-orders/

PostPosted: 11/20/16 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
ClayK wrote:

So what was it like in the small arena? Why didn't you go back?

PostPosted: 11/20/16 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I went to every single home game

PostPosted: 11/20/16 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
ClayK wrote:

He appears to live in Arkansas

hyperetic

PostPosted: 11/20/16 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
ClayK wrote:

It was pretty electric. It was an excited crowd. Demographics were majority African American (about 3/5). A lot of females but a healthy dose of males. The ages ranged from pre-school to nursing home. A pretty vocal crowd. The half time entertainment was enjoyable. The sound system was very adequate. Concessions could have been better. More variety in team merchandise would have helped. Seating is averge.

I didn't go back because I was just down on vacation. Cant afford to make that trip that often.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/24/16 2:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
ClayK wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
ClayK wrote:

It was pretty electric. It was an excited crowd. Demographics were majority African American (about 3/5). A lot of females but a healthy dose of males. The ages ranged from pre-school to nursing home. A pretty vocal crowd. The half time entertainment was enjoyable. The sound system was very adequate. Concessions could have been better. More variety in team merchandise would have helped. Seating is averge.

I didn't go back because I was just down on vacation. Cant afford to make that trip that often.

I 2nd this . most fans were women then african American women followed by african american men. Im a an african american man in my mid 20's and i took my mom to every homegame just about and one thing i must give the dallas crowd credit for is there knowledge of the gane. Talking to random people game in and game out. They Knew who the key players were for each team and they understood the circumstances of each game. I miss the wings already 😢

PostPosted: 11/24/16 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I think one of the concerns of the WNBA from its inception has been that playing in big arenas makes the league seem big time. Did playing in the smaller arena make it seem like it was a minor league?

I've always felt the league would be better off in smaller arenas, but supposedly one of the attractions for players, sponsors, etc., was that the league would be playing in NBA-level arenas. It didn't seem like it was an issue in Dallas, but then again I never got a sense of how many people attended every game.

PostPosted: 11/24/16 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So I think one of the concerns of the WNBA from its inception has been that playing in big arenas makes the league seem big time. Did playing in the smaller arena make it seem like it was a minor league?

I've always felt the league would be better off in smaller arenas, but supposedly one of the attractions for players, sponsors, etc., was that the league would be playing in NBA-level arenas. It didn't seem like it was an issue in Dallas, but then again I never got a sense of how many people attended every game.

Not at all , the arena was a perfect venue. The talent level on the floor lets you obviously recognize this is no amateur sport.

PostPosted: 11/25/16 2:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I think if a huge arena looks empty lends more to the perception of bush league rather than a full smaller venue. As WNBA 09 said, the product on the floor is the real test of professionalism and level.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/25/16 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I think if a huge arena looks empty lends more to the perception of bush league rather than a full smaller venue. As WNBA 09 said, the product on the floor is the real test of professionalism and level.

I've always thought so too.
I totally get why the players loved being treated in comparable ways to their NBA counterparts when the league started, but where we are today, if the attendance numbers don't justify the biggest arenas then my personal opinion is that the teams are better off scaling down. It's a case-by-case thing of course. But surely no one is "impressed" at how "big time" a team is when they only fill 2000 out of 20000 seats. To me it detracts from the atmosphere if you feel like you're part of a small scattering of people in a big cavernous place. (My personal experience - the one time I went to a Mystics home game I just felt pity for the franchise and the fans. That ain't right!)

Much better to be in a smaller venue that you can potentially sell out with paying customers. First of all, 5000 people in a 5000 seat arena is a way better atmosphere than 5000 in a 20000 seat arena. But secondly, if you start selling out games and your tickets are a bit difficult to get, then that demand builds on itself and gets people talking. Then you can look at charging more per ticket. It's a more profitable scenario than paying more to hire the giant arena and having to give away tickets just so it doesn't feel empty. Having half the stadium off limits and half the concession stands closed isn't fooling anyone about being "big time".

PostPosted: 12/10/16 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trade Paris & Sims To SAN for #1 Pick. Draft Coates & Alexis Jones

PostPosted: 12/10/16 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

I don't have a great Trade-this-player mind, but Dallas needs to break up the 2 "alphas" in their backcourt. Sims or Diggins must go.

zune69

PostPosted: 12/10/16 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Jones is a younger version of Sims.And i'm not all that impressed with Coates(8p/5r in 37 minutes versus Duke) I've never seen her dominate a basketball game versus a quality opponent.When USC plays uconn Coates will come up small once again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 4 of 36

Jump to: