RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

History of the shot clock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/18/16 8:08 am    ::: History of the shot clock Reply Reply with quote

I ran across this on Youtube while checking out various educational videos.

https://youtu.be/PVUJB81KuEg?list=PLR0XuDegDqP3YNhWeIwSilcZr9Qi4e5G2

Interesting fact: the shot clock was used in Women's college basketball long before it was in the Men's game

pilight

PostPosted: 11/18/16 8:14 am    ::: Re: History of the shot clock Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Interesting fact: the shot clock was used in Women's college basketball long before it was in the Men's game

The AIAW used it. One way the NCAA got schools to cross over was a promise to keep using it for women's games.

PostPosted: 11/18/16 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For whatever reason, men's coaches at all levels have fought against the shot clock from the beginning. I think it's because the coaches like to believe they're in control of the game, and so they can conceivably slow things down, stall, and do various strategic tricks that will help them win because they're so brilliant.

And it's true that the shot clock does impact the universe of offensive options – I remember John Whisenant it telling me when the WNBA went from the 30-second shot clock to 24 that he had to alter his offense because he could no longer run the patterns that he liked the best.

Most of the resistance to high schools across the country switching to the shot clock (there are only six states with it now) comes from the boys' side.

The most annoying response by the male coaches, though, was that when it became abundantly clear that the 30-second shot clock was a huge success on the women's side, they couldn't just say "great idea," but they had to put in a 35-second shot clock, just to be different. Made no sense whatsoever…

But the men certainly couldn't be seen to be following the women, now could they?

PostPosted: 11/18/16 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I miss the occasional freeze game and the various cognates of Dean Smith's four corner offense.
pilight

PostPosted: 11/18/16 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The most annoying response by the male coaches, though, was that when it became abundantly clear that the 30-second shot clock was a huge success on the women's side, they couldn't just say "great idea," but they had to put in a 35-second shot clock, just to be different. Made no sense whatsoever…

Initially the men had a 45 second shot clock.

PostPosted: 11/18/16 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
For whatever reason, men's coaches at all levels have fought against the shot clock from the beginning. I think it's because the coaches like to believe they're in control of the game, and so they can conceivably slow things down, stall, and do various strategic tricks that will help them win because they're so brilliant.

And it's true that the shot clock does impact the universe of offensive options – I remember John Whisenant it telling me when the WNBA went from the 30-second shot clock to 24 that he had to alter his offense because he could no longer run the patterns that he liked the best.

Most of the resistance to high schools across the country switching to the shot clock (there are only six states with it now) comes from the boys' side.

But the men certainly couldn't be seen to be following the women, now could they?

The most noted clock milker was Dean Smith and his four corner offense. And we know from recent events that UNC is a favored child of the NCAA. I think it was TV that put the $$$ pressure on the NCAA to change. The slowdown was certainly an effective tactic but only the really hard-core BB fans wanted to see 10-4 halftime scores.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/19/16 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
The slowdown was certainly an effective tactic but only the really hard-core BB fans wanted to see 10-4 halftime scores.

My dad was one of those... Very Happy

pilight

PostPosted: 11/19/16 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like most changes, there are both positive and negative aspects to using a shot clock compared to not using one. I view it as an overall positive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: