RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dakota Access Pipieline
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/27/16 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

finally gets national mainstream coverage. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 10/28/16 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Right?
Drone shot, road reopens at Dakota Access Pipeline protest

This is a Big Deal. Sure, so is election stuff, or whatever is being covered instead, but I can't understand the lack of national conversation on this.

Last edited by norwester on 10/31/16 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Force10rulz

PostPosted: 10/30/16 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"I Watched An Armed Dakota Access Pipeline Employee Get Arrested After Entering Protesters' Camp"

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/10/armed-man-dakota-access-pipeline-protest-dapl

PostPosted: 10/30/16 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I know, one of the biggest protectors going on and it took them forever. They were covering it for awhile here in Seattle, but they've lost interest.

PostPosted: 10/30/16 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So ridiculous. I don't even have words for this.

What can be done to stop it?

PostPosted: 10/30/16 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

I am curious to know this as well. I've started to see slight media coverage of it but nothing like it deserves. So what can an average Jane such as myself not anywhere near the area do?

PostPosted: 10/31/16 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thousands Of Buffalo Appear At Site Of Standing Rock Protest

PostPosted: 10/31/16 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I am curious to know this as well. I've started to see slight media coverage of it but nothing like it deserves. So what can an average Jane such as myself not anywhere near the area do?

You could write to and/or call the offices of your senators and state representatives in Congress. There's also the local officials in ND that you could contact.

United States Senate
Each senator will have a page with their contact information, and usually an email form you can fill out.

United States House of Representatives: Find your Rep

North Dakota Legislative Branch: Contact a Legislator

North Dakota Governor's Office: Contact US

PostPosted: 10/31/16 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, it might feel like a minor thing, but I do know that most reps track the issues that constituents contact that them about. You might not get individual attention, but if they start hearing about this regularly, it could elevate the issue. Plus, I think it's helpful to hear from those who are bystanders. I'm sure there are plenty of birds chirping on behalf of the oil companies. Lend your voice to the protestors.

For instance, here's a message I sent to my senators. It may be kind of cheesy (I can't help it!). You can copy it all or in part if you want (but if you don't live in Washington State you may want to cut that part out! Shocked ).
Quote:
I'm extremely concerned about the treatment of the Native Americans at the Standing Rock protest site in North Dakota. I understand that there is a balance that we strive to achieve between industry and commerce and protecting the environment and will of the local public. I also understand that ostensibly there was a process followed that gave the Tribe(s) a chance to respond to the permit, etc. that has passed. But given the imbalance in US-Native relations over the centuries, it seems that it would not be out of order to give this a second thought. I'm not sure what the solution is here, but I've been proud that here in Washington we have many tribes and that we strive to honor treaty rights with them, particularly more recently.

Apart from a resolution to the problem, I'm very concerned about the potential for escalating violence toward the peaceful protestors. I know in an election year that there isn't much national media spotlighting what is going on, but this is a Big Deal in native communities nationally, according to friends I have in those communities. We're seeing a national response from Tribes on a possibly unprecedented scale, and without the national media spotlight, and with additional law enforcement coming in from neighboring states I'm extremely worried about something tragic happening like at Wounded Knee, or Kent State. There are just too many instances in history, particularly in the history of US law enforcement and Native people.

I know that while this isn't in the forefront of the minds of the general public, that this has probably been considered by Congress, but I would be remiss if I didn't weigh in. Thank you for taking the time to read my message.

Feel free to critique, etc.! I probably could have been more firey, but I try to approach things more even-keeled...until I don't! Wink

Last edited by norwester on 10/31/16 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
norwester

PostPosted: 10/31/16 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Filmmaker Deia Schlosberg on Her Arrest While Filming an Activist Shutting Down a Tar Sands Pipeline

I'm also keeping an eye on this, since arrests and charges like this may be having the effect of quelling some of the media coverage. I was relieved when the judge threw out the charges against Amy Goodman a couple weeks ago.
Quote:
"She's a protester, basically," he told the Tribune after the trespassing charges were filed. "Is everybody that's putting out a YouTube video from down there a journalist down there too?"

Erickson's comments have sparked outrage. "It's absolutely concerning that that kind of statement could be expressed by a state's attorney," said Jennifer Cook, policy director at the American Civil Liberties Union in North Dakota. "It's quite clear to us that the state's intent is to silence the press."

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/31/16 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Thousands Of Buffalo Appear At Site Of Standing Rock Protest

I heard Dallas Goldtooth on Democracy Now! today explain that some of the protectors incited the bison stampede. (Which I think is cool).

https://images.craigslist.org/00I0I_2myrZxWoSY0_600x450.jpg

And it was like a beautiful moment, because people saw this herd of buffalo, and this like cheer came up from the crowd, because it was like this—like almost like that our—that we were—our fight was being recognized by the four-legged nation of the bison. And immediately behind them came some horseback riders, some young riders, men and women, who were actually guiding these buffalo towards the police line in an act of resistance and defiance.

More importantly, imo, are the stories of a suspicious fire and a lack of response to it by the state and of the rogue DAPL security guy brandishing an automatic rifle after driving into the camp.

PostPosted: 11/02/16 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How to Stand with Standing Rock: Solidarity Actions

PostPosted: 11/02/16 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another land grab that isn't yet making national news:
Federal Bill Seeks First Native American Land Grab in 100 Years
Quote:
...a bill introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives by Utah Republican Congressmen Rob Bishop and Jason Chaffetz seeks to take 100,000 acres of Ute tribal lands and hand them over to oil and mining companies. Will Bears Ears be the site of the next standoff?

Last edited by norwester on 11/02/16 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 11/02/16 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Another land grab that isn't yet making national news:
Federal Bill Seeks First Native American Land Grab in 100 Years
Quote:
...a bill introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives by Utah Republican Congressmen Rob Bishop and Jason Chaffetz seeks to take 100,000 acres of Ute tribal lands and hand them over to oil and mining companies. Will Bears Ears be the site of the next standoff?

Jason Chaffetz would.

PostPosted: 11/02/16 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obama Just Announced He’s Going to Save Standing Rock By Rerouting Pipeline

We'll see whether these efforts bear fruit.
Quote:
We’re monitoring this closely. As a general rule, my view is that there is a way for us to accommodate the sacred lands of Native Americans. Right now the Army Corps is examining ways whether there are ways to re-route this pipeline. We’re going to let it play out for several more weeks, and determine whether or not this could be resolved in a way that is properly attentive to the traditions of the First Americans.

PostPosted: 11/04/16 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#NoDAPL: Updates, resources, and reflections

Good personal essay, with useful links and suggestions for those who wish to support the cause.
Quote:
During the day at camp, children run and laugh, elders sit at the main fire welcoming in tribal delegations, and organizers make sure the logistics of camp are taken care of—feeding thousands of campers and visitors, boiling dozens of enormous pots of camp coffee, accepting donations, coordinating trash pick ups and portable bathroom cleanings. Up on “Facebook Hill” (one of the only points in camp with reliable phone service), the legal tent flaps in the breeze, staffed with volunteer lawyers and legal observers, and the media tent offers orientations for those wishing to receive a press pass. At night, the camp comes to life, with songs from disparate Native nations echoing around campfires, as tribal peoples from across the lands now known as the United States come together to share and connect. Laughter punctuates the night, deep, beautiful Native laughter, the kind of laughter that makes Native people feel at home.

PostPosted: 11/04/16 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazing video from last week. Sends chills everytime I watch it.

https://vimeo.com/189299392?ref=fb-share

(oops, sorry, I scrolled up to see if this had been posted. I guess I didn't scroll far enough up.)

PostPosted: 11/04/16 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still a cool video, though.

Here's some more details on the Bear Ears site in Southern Utah.
Whose homeland? In the tribal bid for Bears Ears, deep questions and deep divisions arise.

Even opponents of a national park designation are dissatisfied with the recent PLI bill introduced in Congress, though.

PostPosted: 11/15/16 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CONCRETE TRUCK DRIVER DRIVES INTO A CROWD OF WATER PROTECTORS & FIRES SEVEN SHOTS INTO AIR

http://nativenewsonline.net/currents/nodapl-concrete-truck-driver-drives-crowd-water-protectors-fires-seven-shots-air/

PostPosted: 11/21/16 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dakota Pipeline Protesters Soaked by Police Water Cannons

"Law enforcement officials in North Dakota and protesters opposed to the Dakota Access Pipeline clashed in below-freezing weather on Sunday night, as hundreds of demonstrators were pushed back from a bridge by water cannons."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/us/dakota-access-pipeline-protesters-police.html?_r=0

PostPosted: 11/21/16 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad to see this getting notice here. The lack of MSM coverage is beyond my ability to comprehend. Am a caucasion, but have been following this in the Native American online news sites.

A good friend headed up there with a convoy from here in Colorado to bring fresh produce to the water protectors. Read that some such convoys have faced mass arrest before they ever get there.

Thanks for making this newsworthy here.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 11/21/16 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:
CONCRETE TRUCK DRIVER DRIVES INTO A CROWD OF WATER PROTECTORS & FIRES SEVEN SHOTS INTO AIR

http://nativenewsonline.net/currents/nodapl-concrete-truck-driver-drives-crowd-water-protectors-fires-seven-shots-air/

It is not known if the man has been questioned by law enforcement.

Kind of says it all. Mad

Force10rulz

PostPosted: 12/02/16 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Girl told to dress like an Indian, Mom wasn't happy, so this is what they came up with:

https://mic.com/articles/160840/girl-told-to-dress-like-an-indian-for-school-assignment-made-a-statement-on-nodapl#.jiQ1cdGRp

PostPosted: 12/02/16 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tulsi Gabbard And Thousands Of Veterans To Confront Militarized Police At Standing Rock

http://wearethemedia.tv/news/2016/tulsi-gabbard-and-thousands-of-veterans-to-confront-militarized-police-at-standing-rock/

PostPosted: 12/02/16 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tulsi Gabbard - Donald Trump's favorite Democrat and under consideration for a spot in his administration.

Exhibit A for where Trump and Sanders supporters converge. A Sanders supporter Democrat who is an avidly anti-immigration, anti-refuge, anti-gun control Islamophobe.

Not sure I find her endorsement very compelling on anything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: