RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Preseason top 30 players
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bacabuck

PostPosted: 10/28/16 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Shades wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:

You listed Lexie Brown in 2 different classes.

Yes, thanks. I changed my original list of juniors to include Shakayla Thomas instead.

Thanks all for the corrective feedback on my original list, which I said was dated, but otherwise I think the list survives pretty well.

Where did the list come from?

It's the seniors from the 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 MaxPreps high school All-American teams . . . all selected by . . . Clay Kallam.

I believe that particular "we" may have been used in the royal sense.....I have seen QE2 do it in processions and stuff.

I initially forgot Alexis Jones because she was in the 2012 class, but selected on the MaxPreps first team that year by Clay.

Lexie Brown is a junior eligibility wise. Why would we list players any other way?

Who's "we"? I don't see any list from you, and I don't think it's particularly important for anyone to structure their Wooden nomination list in any particular way.

I obviously have failed to communicate. My list was a playback to Clay of his own choices of AA players while they were in high school. I did that, somewhat surreptitiously, because I thought his high school AA choices have held up very well at the college level. I chose to break down my list by the players' high school class year, but erroneously put Lexie Brown in two different high school classes.

I hope I have now made that clear, and that the whole thing is clearly unimportant.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 10/28/16 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Shades wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

You listed Lexie Brown in 2 different classes.

Yes, thanks. I changed my original list of juniors to include Shakayla Thomas instead.

Thanks all for the corrective feedback on my original list, which I said was dated, but otherwise I think the list survives pretty well.

Where did the list come from?

It's the seniors from the 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 MaxPreps high school All-American teams . . . all selected by . . . Clay Kallam.

I initially forgot Alexis Jones because she was in the 2012 class, but selected on the MaxPreps first team that year by Clay.

Lexie Brown is a junior eligibility wise. Why would we list players any other way?

Who's "we"? I don't see any list from you, and I don't think it's particularly important for anyone to structure their Wooden nomination list in any particular way.

I obviously have failed to communicate. My list was a playback to Clay of his own choices of AA players while they were in high school. I did that, somewhat surreptitiously, because I thought his high school AA choices have held up very well at the college level. I chose to break down my list by the players' high school class year, but erroneously put Lexie Brown in two different high school classes.

I hope I have now made that clear, and that the whole thing is clearly unimportant.

I believe that particular "we" may have been used in the royal sense.....I have seen QE2 do it in processions and stuff.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/28/16 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Yeah, that was me who included Kemph, Creighton, DeBoer. But Blockton is an entirely different deal. She's not a good mid major player who deserves a "mention" as you put it. She is in my view easily one of the 30 best players in the country and could play anywhere. She's better than a number of P5 players who have been named here.

Seconding Blockton. Granted, I have Big East bias, but holy goddamn that kid is good. Y'all need to be keeping an eye on Marquette.

PostPosted: 10/29/16 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
I'm still surprised that no one had brought up Macy Miller before I included her. The Jackrabbits just aren't feeling the love right now. Crying or Very sad

Macy is a big time player who "duped" the system...you know, that one who committed to SDSU long before being recruited by the big schools. The one who didn't play much summer ball. She did a summer or two I believe, but more at the regional level than national. Hate to say it, but some of these publications that rank players and people who put on these summer events, that's their living. When a player becomes a big time D1 talent that comes out of nowhere, it totally beats the odds so to speak. South Dakota? Mitchell? Really?! Anyways, I had the opportunity to coach a 6 foot player who was like a 2 position and I talked with a few Big 10 (lower half) and SEC (bottom ones) as well as Summit League and other schools about her. The Power Conference schools insisted on getting her to play for a club team, get her to their elite camps, the works and all that would do (they said) is just get her noticed. Meanwhile, the schools like SDSU and NDSU, etc. said oh that's fine. She don't have to play a lick of summer club ball to get noticed. You can go the old traditional way. Anyways, long story short, I remember two of the national scouting services bluntly told me that if she didn't play at an event that they either sponsored or were at, they weren't interested in considering her for regional/national rankings, etc. So to answer the OP, my guess is that may have something to do with it? I don't know.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 10/29/16 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got to see her play about four times last season. Good player and unselfish within how SDSU plays. Nice to see. I like watching the Jackrabbits.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/29/16 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
I'm still surprised that no one had brought up Macy Miller before I included her. The Jackrabbits just aren't feeling the love right now. Crying or Very sad

Macy is a big time player who "duped" the system...you know, that one who committed to SDSU long before being recruited by the big schools. The one who didn't play much summer ball. She did a summer or two I believe, but more at the regional level than national. Hate to say it, but some of these publications that rank players and people who put on these summer events, that's their living. When a player becomes a big time D1 talent that comes out of nowhere, it totally beats the odds so to speak. South Dakota? Mitchell? Really?! Anyways, I had the opportunity to coach a 6 foot player who was like a 2 position and I talked with a few Big 10 (lower half) and SEC (bottom ones) as well as Summit League and other schools about her. The Power Conference schools insisted on getting her to play for a club team, get her to their elite camps, the works and all that would do (they said) is just get her noticed. Meanwhile, the schools like SDSU and NDSU, etc. said oh that's fine. She don't have to play a lick of summer club ball to get noticed. You can go the old traditional way. Anyways, long story short, I remember two of the national scouting services bluntly told me that if she didn't play at an event that they either sponsored or were at, they weren't interested in considering her for regional/national rankings, etc. So to answer the OP, my guess is that may have something to do with it? I don't know.

So what happened to the player? Did she make it to the school she wanted? At what level was the school?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/29/16 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Clay, can you tell us who you nominated?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/29/16 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who is Claire DeBoer? Never heard of her.

Precious Hall was nominated CAA Preseason POY. She was last year also, before she tore her ACL in a pre-season practice. Hopefully stays healthy and productive this year.

PostPosted: 10/29/16 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

So what happened to the player? Did she make it to the school she wanted? At what level was the school?

She's only a junior this year, I coached her when she was in 8th grade. Still a prospect but the talent levels evened out a bit. I predict she will go juco for a few years for grades, but if a qualifier is definitely be a low to mid major D1 prospect. She has very long arms and that's what coaches loved about her. I sent out some footage of her to 50 coaches and got about 15 responses back then.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/29/16 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Who is Claire DeBoer? Never heard of her.

Precious Hall was nominated CAA Preseason POY. She was last year also, before she tore her ACL in a pre-season practice. Hopefully stays healthy and productive this year.

Claire DeBoer is likely the Patriot League's best player this season. I'm having a hard time coming up with anyone who might be better than her this season. She's from Bucknell, and is pretty decent.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/29/16 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DeBoer has been the best player in her class in the Patriot League since she arrived. She was League ROY, was All Patriot League the past two years, and now as a senior is the preseason POY. She leads Bucknell which is the best team in the League. She played for the All Ohio Blacks AAU team (same team Kelsey Mitchell and Kat Westbeld played on), although she's from Michigan, and is a 6'1" forward.

I bet Michigan wishes they had kept her home for college.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/29/16 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I bet Michigan wishes they had kept her home for college.

Bucknell played at Michigan two seasons ago. I remember being intrigued as she was from Michigan and had some family and HS teammate support at the game. I left thinking she wasn't a big "miss" in recruiting - 2 FG, 1 RB, 1A as a starter in 25 minutes.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/30/16 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Sure ... I think with 30 you can throw in a couple of wild cards. The reality is we know who the top 10 or 15, barring injury, right now.

Lindsay Allen, Notre Dame
Kristine Anigwe, Cal
Ariel Atkins, Texas
Monique Billings, UCLA
Sophie Brunner, Missouri
Jordin Canada, UCLA
Alaina Coates, South Carolina
Nia Coffey, Northwestern
Nina Davis, Baylor
Diamond DeShields, Tennessee

Makayla Epps, Kentucky
Temi Fagbenle, USC
Katelynn Flaherty, Michigan
Myisha Hines-Allen, Louisville
Jessica January, DePaul
Erica McCall, Stanford
Macy Miller, South Dakota State
Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State
Mariya Moore, Louisville
Adrienne Motley, Miami

Kia Nurse, UConn
Kelsey Plum, Washington
Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn
Jessica Shepard, Nebraska
Shakayla Thomas, Florida State
Brianna Turner, Notre Dame
Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland
Sydney Wiese, Oregon State
A'ja Wilson, South Carolina

PostPosted: 10/30/16 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Sure ... I think with 30 you can throw in a couple of wild cards. The reality is we know who the top 10 or 15, barring injury, right now.

Lindsay Allen, Notre Dame
Kristine Anigwe, Cal
Ariel Atkins, Texas
Monique Billings, UCLA
Sophie Brunner, Missouri Did you mean Cunningham from Mizzou, or the fearless Sun Devil, Sophie?
Jordin Canada, UCLA
Alaina Coates, South Carolina
Nia Coffey, Northwestern
Nina Davis, Baylor
Diamond DeShields, Tennessee

Makayla Epps, Kentucky
Temi Fagbenle, USC
Katelynn Flaherty, Michigan
Myisha Hines-Allen, Louisville
Jessica January, DePaul
Erica McCall, Stanford
Macy Miller, South Dakota State
Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State
Mariya Moore, Louisville
Adrienne Motley, Miami

Kia Nurse, UConn
Kelsey Plum, Washington
Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn
Jessica Shepard, Nebraska
Shakayla Thomas, Florida State
Brianna Turner, Notre Dame
Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland
Sydney Wiese, Oregon State
A'ja Wilson, South Carolina

See Bolded Part.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/30/16 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Fagbenle is gone.

- Amanda Gorman
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/30/16 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry to break it to ya Clay, but Fagbenle graduated.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 10/30/16 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Yeah, that was me who included Kemph, Creighton, DeBoer. But Blockton is an entirely different deal. She's not a good mid major player who deserves a "mention" as you put it. She is in my view easily one of the 30 best players in the country and could play anywhere. She's better than a number of P5 players who have been named here.

Seconding Blockton. Granted, I have Big East bias, but holy goddamn that kid is good. Y'all need to be keeping an eye on Marquette.

Yes - she is quite talented and such a pleasure to watch. I can't wait for this season to start - I expect Marquette to be a team to watch. I'm disappointed Blockton didn't make BE First Team as a frosh but I know it's not the end of the world and I expect her to contend for BE POY this year. I thought she might get pre-season POY but wasn't surprised to see January of DePaul get that nod and can't dispute her credentials for that.

Go Marquette Smile!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/30/16 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Yes - she is quite talented and such a pleasure to watch. I can't wait for this season to start - I expect Marquette to be a team to watch. I'm disappointed Blockton didn't make BE First Team as a frosh but I know it's not the end of the world and I expect her to contend for BE POY this year. I thought she might get pre-season POY but wasn't surprised to see January of DePaul get that nod and can't dispute her credentials for that.

Go Marquette Smile!

FYI, I think I saw that their game next Sunday is on ESPN3.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/31/16 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

My bad ... I was obviously scrambling for No. 30.

PostPosted: 10/31/16 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

What about the Joneses, Brionna and Alexis?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/31/16 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justinabina wrote:
ClayK wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

What about the Joneses, Brionna and Alexis?

Alexis wouldn't be much of a scramble

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: