Board Junkies Forums

Shoni Schimmel 2015-16 Off-Season Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LosLynxAngeles

PostPosted: 11/08/15 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
Randy wrote:
I see Jude running for public office some day - maybe soon.

Several questions; Is she political? What level of office?

she actually recently moderated a discussion panel about native american youth president obama http://www.eastoregonian.com/eo/local-news/20151105/schimmel-keeps-obama-on-track#.Vjz6YO_8f9o.twitter

she appears to have the same or close to the same popularity as her sister, and her agent Galer (also reps Ogwumikes) seems to be one of the best. It almost seems like an okay idea for a team specifically seattle, dallas, phoenix to use that 12th man spot that never really comes off the bench on Jude, as as long as there are somewhat of a native population in distance it could help with attendance and viewership.. unless she is just absolutely terrible. but if angel goodrich and kelly faris can make a roster then who knows.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 11/08/15 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LosLynxAngeles wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
Randy wrote:

she actually recently moderated a discussion panel about native american youth president obama http://www.eastoregonian.com/eo/local-news/20151105/schimmel-keeps-obama-on-track#.Vjz6YO_8f9o.twitter

she appears to have the same or close to the same popularity as her sister, and her agent Galer (also reps Ogwumikes) seems to be one of the best. It almost seems like an okay idea for a team specifically seattle, dallas, phoenix to use that 12th man spot that never really comes off the bench on Jude, as as long as there are somewhat of a native population in distance it could help with attendance and viewership.. unless she is just absolutely terrible. but if angel goodrich and kelly faris can make a roster then who knows.

Interesting, thanks

jw

PostPosted: 11/08/15 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like we need a Jude Schimmel thread.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/09/15 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
Randy wrote:

I would imagine she would start at the bottom - local or tribal position, council, whatever. Political parties recruit people to run and I can see them going after her. She's done a good/great job of making herself visible, which seems like an important aspect of a political career. But realize this is nothing but my intuition.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/16/16 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We’re the Only Race with Men Who Actively Wear Women’s Jerseys

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2016/02/15/were-only-race-men-who-actively-wear-womens-jerseys-163437

Quote:
Jim Thorpe, more than 100 years after he took the world by storm, is still the most relevant Native American athlete. There has been no greater Indian in sports.

PostPosted: 02/26/16 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/14847476/shoni-schimmel-parents-say-racial-slurs-led-confrontation-new-mexico-high-school-basketball-game

SDHoops

PostPosted: 10/11/16 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sources close to Schimmel say that she currently has no plans or intention of playing overseas at this time. Sad to say from my personal standpoint that we've seen the last of Shoni. A promising career ...from All Star MVP and sixth woman on an Eastern Conference championship team (Atlanta '14) to perhaps a career end in just a few short years. As we all know, as the years go by the metabolism slows and the harder you have to work. Of course there's always the possibility of a comeback but as the old adage goes, if they haven't learned by now......

Shades

PostPosted: 10/11/16 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does that necessarily mean she won't work with a trainer, and what's your source?

toad455

PostPosted: 10/11/16 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

honestly if she comes into Liberty training camp out of shape, she should be cut immediately. Why waste a roster spot for her again?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/11/16 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
honestly if she comes into Liberty training camp out of shape, she should be cut immediately. Why waste a roster spot for her again?

I wouldn't even wait for her to embarrass herself...happened 2 years in a row...why would it not happen now...obviously she believes she's worth bigger things than basketball...and that's commendable and noble but if she's not willing to put in the work to take care of her self and her game by playing overseas...we've seen this movie before...from her.

Some people just don't wanna play...good news is...they don't have to.

Hope she changes things that needs changing...ends up in congress...but she was a bad fit here to begin with...no need to take her seriously if she doesn't take her pro career seriously. That's basically the tone Dream management took when they sounded off at her then dumped her to the Libs...I said she was dumpable anyway because PG is a fit position and defensively she is not a good fit for this club. But this...nope nope nope...have a nice life Shoni Smile

(Over under if she wins the ASG ballot despite not being in the league next season) LOL

PostPosted: 10/11/16 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

(Over under if she wins the ASG ballot despite not being in the league next season) LOL

well, she'd have to make a roster to be on the ballot to begin with. Let's see that happen first.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/11/16 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

well, she'd have to make a roster to be on the ballot to begin with. Let's see that happen first.

well in 15 they used open social media balloting where anyone could be voted for so it's not crazy LOL and yes I dunno if she will make a roster now

PostPosted: 10/11/16 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Sources close to Schimmel say that she currently has no plans or intention of playing overseas at this time. Sad to say from my personal standpoint that we've seen the last of Shoni. A promising career ...from All Star MVP and sixth woman on an Eastern Conference championship team (Atlanta '14) to perhaps a career end in just a few short years. As we all know, as the years go by the metabolism slows and the harder you have to work. Of course there's always the possibility of a comeback but as the old adage goes, if they haven't learned by now......

Well....stranger things have happened. Courtney Paris and Erlana Larkins both demonstrated that one needn't be a star in their first few seasons to still be employable in the league. Obviously, there are 2 big differences: one is that these gals are posts, where speed afoot is less critical than as a guard. The other is that both of them DID play overseas to maintain their viability.

Shoni obviously has/had a lot of potential, but that's clearly not enough at this level. Kinda sad....she's fun to watch, when she's on.

PostPosted: 10/11/16 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oct 11th 2016 might be just a tad early to decide Shoni's fate in May of 2017. If she wants it and puts in the work she can work on her game and conditioning just as well in America as she could overseas. If she doesn't want it and doesn't put in the work going to play in Israel, Hungary, Slovakia, Greece, or any where else she might have ended up, won't make a difference.

I'm going to hold out hope, people can change, if they want to.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/12/16 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Oct 11th 2016 might be just a tad early to decide Shoni's fate in May of 2017. If she wants it and puts in the work she can work on her game and conditioning just as well in America as she could overseas. If she doesn't want it and doesn't put in the work going to play in Israel, Hungary, Slovakia, Greece, or any where else she might have ended up, won't make a difference.

I'm going to hold out hope, people can change, if they want to.

agree. It's pretty early to give up on her for next year. However, the coaches should tell her bluntly what she needs to do if she wants to be on the team next year. If she doesn't do it and come in shape, just let her go immediately.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 10/12/16 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
However, the coaches should tell her bluntly what she needs to do if she wants to be on the team next year. If she doesn't do it and come in shape, just let her go immediately.

A: I can't believe NO coach, anywhere, has never ever mentioned this concept to her.

B: After completing her 3rd season, and experiencing the heights of glory AND the bench riding....I don't really think anyone should NEED to tell her anything anymore. It's completely on her.

I hope she *gets* it, tho....she had an awesome collegiate career, for someone who isn't a physically gifted athlete; what could she do with a toned, conditioned body?

PostPosted: 10/13/16 5:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

she should have at least played in Australia this offseason. They don't have a long season, & it would have helped her be ready by the time training camps start in 2017.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/13/16 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and this is why im very short with her that said if she joins a team mid season after the dapl protests are done ill happily hunt slaughter clean cook and eat my own crow on here but i hold my hard line she must work on both body and game to have ANY future here...period

and by here i sadly mean anywhere in the w

PostPosted: 10/13/16 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
she should have at least played in Australia this offseason. They don't have a long season, & it would have helped her be ready by the time training camps start in 2017.

She's pretty much the opposite of what most teams down here look for in an import player.

PostPosted: 10/13/16 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:
However, the coaches should tell her bluntly what she needs to do if she wants to be on the team next year. If she doesn't do it and come in shape, just let her go immediately.

A: I can't believe NO coach, anywhere, has never ever mentioned this concept to her.

B: After completing her 3rd season, and experiencing the heights of glory AND the bench riding....I don't really think anyone should NEED to tell her anything anymore. It's completely on her.

I hope she *gets* it, tho....she had an awesome collegiate career, for someone who isn't a physically gifted athlete; what could she do with a toned, conditioned body?

Maybe Reeve would....?

SDHoops

PostPosted: 10/17/16 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't reply right away. @Shades, I know a few people who are close to the Schimmel family...for me it's always good to have that connection so I know some ins (such as the fact that she didn't get cut when she wasn't traveling with the team but not much beyond that). As for the others, ever since the 2013 Final Four run, the Schimmels have traversed long and far across the US to communities and schools to give motivational speeches, conduct basketball clinics, etc. If you watched the Off the Rez documentary, you saw a family that in constant debt and faced eviction several times. Now, they've been able to make a decent living while still being able to be involved in basketball. I think that for Shoni, it's quality over quantity. She seems to want to be close to family and that would be ideal for her rather than to maximize her earning potential at this time. On the other hand, without playing at a high level for half a year, it will make it that much harder for her to stay in WNBA shape. Does she have the motivation to workout like a Skylar Diggins in the offseason? Also, for people wondering about the Shoni-mania, the fact that the families have been to pretty much every state with Natives and a lot of reservations, there's a personal touch involved: people can say they met and even some, know Shoni, hence Shoni-mania. I've met her several times, she can standoffish at times. Jude is the opposite, she's more outgoing, can be very sweet. Regardless, Shoni can ball and even better when she's in shape. Like I said, I hope for the best, but at the same time, the WNBA is hit and miss. Coach Mike T said it best after making cuts at a camp years back, there's no time to wait, people have to come in ready.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 02/20/17 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, the Shoni conversations that have been almost a tradition around this time of the year have started to pop up again so i thought why not revive this thread.

First, I hope Shoni makes a comeback. I hope that she lands on a teams that's perfect for her. I hope that she gets in shape and gets back to being one of if not the most entertaining player in the WNBA. I think it would be unfortunate to lose a player of her skill level so early in her career. But Here is my opinion that i hope is wrong. Its purely opinions and speculation.

I don't know Shoni or her family but I have been following her career since her first year at Louisville. I always hoped she would get it together enough to be a good WNBA player but honestly I just don't think she wants it any more.

Imo the difference, not only in her game but in her attitude towards the game has changed drastically between college and the WNBA. I remember when she played for Louisville, Walz saying no one he ever coached hated to lose more than Shoni. I know he now wishes he had a player on his team who hated to lose as much as Shoni did. Don't get me wrong, no one likes losing but going back to the Maryland game, her last game, doing everything she possibly could in the final minutes/seconds to put her team on her back and drag them to a win...and still losing. Seeing her cry after that game, every person knew Louisville wouldn't have even been in that game without Shoni but she put the loss on her shoulders, she took the blame, she took the responsibility like she did in so many other games. When they won she gave her team credit and when they lost she took the blame.

The WNBA is different. It just is. Ive heard many players say as much. It becomes a business. The competition is tougher. Your teammates are better. There are less fans. You fly commercial. The list goes on and on and on. But also, you lose more games. Some players are fortunate and end up at Minnesota or Phoenix or other winning team there first couple years. But most of the time players are going to lose more games in the WNBA then college. And I think that got to Shoni, the losing. Honestly, I don't know how it doesn't get to more former UConn players. Then sitting the bench in Atlanta couldn't have helped her ego. Someone who was the best by far on her college team sitting on the bench. Someone who always played with so much confidence. I'm not a therapist and who really knows, but I could understand her losing her passion for the game in the WNBA with the drastic amount of change.

I thought the weight gain all had to do with discipline. Out of the Schimmel Sisters, Shoni never seemed like the mature one or the disciplined one. It often seemed like she needed someone telling her what to do and when and how to do it and explain there would be consequences if expectations were not met. Michael Cooper never seemed like a disciplinarian and to be fair its not a professional coaches responsibility to be one. But Walz was/is, like him or hate him, he had two of the biggest ego's/personalities/headcases in women's college basketball and he got them both to a championship game. And despite both their obvious talent, i don't think it was easy by any means to get them there. And when Shoni got to the WNBA she lost that disciplinarian, yet another major change. When she got traded to New York, i thought (like many probably did) great, a disciplinarian who can get her head on straight. But that wasn't it i don't think. I think by the time she got to New York she was already done. To me she seemed mostly over it. There was nothing to discipline because she wasn't really there.

So, will New York cut her? Will they trade her? Will they keep her?
Well, i don't think they will keep her. I think Laimbeer is over the Shoni Schimmel experiment. I think they will trade her if they can, i don't know if her name has become poison to the league or not but a couple teams may still want to take a chance on her or at the very least will waste a training camp spot and pick her up off waivers.

Honestly, i wish the best for Shoni. And if the best thing for her mentally and emotionally is to be with her family then that's where she needs to be. And if she doesn't really want it any more...if she doesn't love the game like she used to...then imo she needs to let someone who does have a chance at a roster spot. And that hurts to say because I really have been a fan of hers for so many years and id hate for it to end this way but if her heart isn't in it she should move on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: