RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBL (Australia) 2016/17 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/05/16 2:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Jackson talks about her pregnancy and balancing her WNBL work with Melbourne Boomers

Quote:
"I'm sure it's going to be the best thing that's ever happened to me. It's going to be a boy and I can't wait to meet him," Jackson told The Age.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/lauren-jackson-talks-about-her-pregnancy-and-balancing-her-wnbl-work-with-melbourne-boomers-20161005-grvjez.html

PostPosted: 10/05/16 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kesley Griffin enters WNBL season more passionate than ever about Bendigo Spirit

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/4206799/griffin-more-passionate-than-ever-about-the-spirit-video/?cs=81

PostPosted: 10/06/16 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Season preview from Roy Ward at The Age

WNBL season preview: Townsville Fire tipped for three-peat, Dandenong Rangers to challenge

PostPosted: 10/09/16 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Firstly, a quick summary for anyone following their favourite non-Aussie/Kiwi player in the WNBL. This season we have:

Adelaide: Samantha Logic, Colleen Planeta
Bendigo: Blake Dietrick, Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe
Canberra: Jazmon Gwathmey, Mikaela Ruef
Dandenong: Natalie Novosel, Ally Malott
Melbourne: Chante Black, Brittany Smart
Perth: Monica Wright, Ruth Hamblin
Sydney: Asia Taylor, Jennifer Hamson
Townsville: Natasha Cloud, Kayla Standish
... plus Kelsey Griffin (Bendigo), Leilani Mitchell (Sydney), Sami Whitcomb & Kisha Lee (Perth) playing as naturalised Australians.

---

Round 1 (Home teams always listed first in this thread)

The defending (back-to-back) champs got off to a flyer today with a 22 point thrashing of Perth - the team tipped to be a challenger again this season. Suzy Batkovic had her way with Burton + Hamblin and had much more help around her than Whitcomb did for the Lynx.
Perth did get a win on Friday though, holding off Sydney in a close one. Carley Mijovic going 7/10 from outside the arc in her 30 points.
Bendigo dodged a bullet, needing OT to get past Adelaide (who most predict will be at or near the bottom again).
Canberra have a much improved roster this season, adding Tolo, Mansfield & Ruef. Dandenong only led this game for 4 seconds, but it was the right 4 seconds.
Just moments ago, Melbourne got off to a winning start with a win over Adelaide.

Sydney 90 (Hamson 19p 17r, Taylor 18p 5r, Mitchell 15p 9a 6r, Snell 14p 9a)
Perth 93 (Mijovic 30p 9r, Phillips 24p, Whitcomb 22p 8r 5a, Hamblin 9p 9r 5b)
Boxscore
YouTube

Canberra 69 (Mansfield 17p 6a, Tolo 15p 10r, Ruef 14p 9r, Gwathmey 8p 10r)
Dandenong 71 (Blicavs 23p 6r, Novosel 22p 5r, Scherf 8p 9r)
Boxscore

Bendigo 77 (OT) (Raincock-Ekunwe 16p 11r, Oliver 15p, Harrington 11p, Griffin 10p 9r 5a)
Adelaide 63 (Hodges 20p 9r, Planeta 16p, Logic 10p 6r)
Boxscore

Townsville 84 (Batkovic 25p 11r 5b, Murray 16p, Cocks 13p, Garbin 12p 7r, Standish 10p 6r)
Perth 62 (Whitcomb 25p, Mijovic 11p 6r, Hamblin 9p 5r)
Boxscore

Melbourne 75 (Kunek 21p, Garrick 16p, Smart 12p 5r, Cole 11p, Black 8p 11r)
Adelaide 69 (Hodges 21p 10r, Roberts 12p 7r, Planeta 12p, Logic 4p 7r 7a)
Boxscore

Last edited by Luuuc on 10/11/16 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 10/09/16 2:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't the Sparks cut Hamson? I've always thought she could pay Hamson dividends

toad455

PostPosted: 10/09/16 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see how Hamson does against players like Batkovic, Tolo & Black. But that's a great first game for her.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/09/16 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What team is Allen on?

PostPosted: 10/09/16 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
What team is Allen on?

She's playing in Europe.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/09/16 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
What team is Allen on?

Playing for Good Angels Kosice in Slovakia (who are also in the EuroCup this year, rather than EuroLeague Women).

PostPosted: 10/10/16 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Firstly, a quick summary for anyone following their favourite non-Aussie/Kiwi player in the WNBL. This season we have:

Adelaide: Samantha Logic, Colleen Planeta
Bendigo: Blake Dietrick, Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe
Canberra: Jazmon Gwathmey, Mikaela Ruef
Dandenong: Natalie Novosel, Ally Malott
Melbourne: Chante Black, Brittany Smart
Perth: Monica Wright, Ruth Hamblin
Sydney: Asia Taylor, Jennifer Hamson
Townsville: Natasha Cloud, Kayla Standish
... plus Kelsey Griffin (Bendigo), Leilani Mitchell (Sydney), Sami Whitcomb & Kisha Lee (Perth) playing as naturalised Australians.

---

I think I saw somewhere that Janelle Adams signed with Canberra as a naturalized player too. Do you see that becoming a point of conflict in the future if more winter league American players get signed to be bench players? I think some more import-level players like Standish and Novosel must be pretty close to being able to count as locals. I believe Amy Kame might actually be in line for an import spot once Standish switches categories.

Also, I was not aware that until recently that some WNBL players play netball in the winter instead of winter basketball. Is that common? I guess in my mind it would seem like the sports would have some kind of rivalry that would discourage people from playing both.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/10/16 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
I think I saw somewhere that Janelle Adams signed with Canberra as a naturalized player too. Do you see that becoming a point of conflict in the future if more winter league American players get signed to be bench players? I think some more import-level players like Standish and Novosel must be pretty close to being able to count as locals. I believe Amy Kame might actually be in line for an import spot once Standish switches categories.

Also, I was not aware that until recently that some WNBL players play netball in the winter instead of winter basketball. Is that common? I guess in my mind it would seem like the sports would have some kind of rivalry that would discourage people from playing both.

No, I don't think it's particularly common to play both sports at the same time.
The "rivalry" thing is getting interesting now though. Suddenly there is more money than before in netball, women's cricket has been getting more coverage in the last couple of years, and now women's football (AFL) is starting as a national league (albeit only 2 months long) in February and is getting money and tv coverage as well - and that sport is attracting athletes from all kinds of other sports. There's a massive shakeup happening and it's great. (Unfortunately the WNBL seems to be the one women's sport going backwards, having lost its tv coverage right as others were starting to get some).

This is the first season that the WNBL has allowed "Permanent Residents" to play as locals so it will be interesting to see what happens with that. Looks like it could get out of hand quickly which I really don't think is a good thing for the league. I don't actually know what the rule says, but I'm hoping there is a limit on the number of non-aussies/kiwis that can play per team as permanent residents.
And yes you are correct about Amy Kame. The paperwork was a bit late for round 1 but she's now eligible to suit up for Townsville. Like they needed to get deeper!

[ETA] the WNBL just confirmed that there is currently no limit on PR players.

PostPosted: 10/11/16 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
miller40 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Team in crisis: Melbourne Boomers risk disbandment

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016/team-in-crisis-melbourne-boomers-risk-disbandment-20160513-gouw3e.html

Quote:
Bulleen Templestowe Basketball Association, which has run an iconic WNBL team for 32 years and groomed international stars, has notified Basketball Australia it is formally turning in the licence.

It seems like there is a WNBL team "in crisis" every off season (and sometimes during the season).

It does indeed, but it seems even worse than usual right now with SEQ dead, Adelaide still in the same trouble as a year ago, and now this with the Boomers.

It is a dynamic environment these clubs compete in - bit like the fashion industry "one day your in, next day you are out". So many factors have to be aligned - financial, crowd support, media, state govt, on court success, athlete performance, PR, merchandise........
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/16/16 3:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Round 2

I was hoping that Mystics fans could see a nice battle between Ally Malott and in-form Lynx forward Carley Mijovic in the game that was shown on YouTube, but they didn't match up much in the end, and Mijovic had a forgettable game after being tremendous yesterday.
Some big individual games this round including 2 near triple-doubles, but Marianna Tolo should be POTW with 38 & 12 in Canberra's win over Sydney, backing up her 17 & 16 on Friday night.

Canberra 70 (Ruef 18p 11r, Tolo 17p 16r, Wilson 12p, Mansfield 11p 8r, Gwathmey 4p 7r)
Adelaide 64 (Logic 19p 7r, Planeta 18p 13r, Hodges 17p 6r)
Boxscore

Bendigo 59 (Raincock-Ekunwe 18p 14r, Griffin 14p, Dietrick 6p 6r)
Dandenong 44 (Novosel 9p)
Boxscore

Melbourne 85 (Smart 19p 5r 6a, Garrick 14p, Kunek 12p 7r, Thompson 12p 7r, Cunningham 10p, Bygate 8p 8r) (Black DNP due to injury)
Perth 88 (Mijovic 27p 6r, Whitcomb 16p 5a, Wright 13p, Hamblin 12p 7r)
Boxscore

Townsville 85 (Standish 18p 8r, Batkovic 12p, Garbin 11p 6r, Murray 10p 5r, Kame 9p, Cloud 8p 4a)
Adelaide 56 (Hodges 20p 10r, Planeta 12p 5r, Logic 9p 7a)
Boxscore

Dandenong 94 (Cumming 31p 12r, Novosel 15p 9r 9a, Blicavs 14p 6r, Clydesdale 12p, Kennedy 8p 9r, Malott 5p)
Perth 74 (Whitcomb 23p 5r, Hamblin 14p 8r, Wright 11p 4a)
Boxscore
YouTube

Sydney 80 (Mitchell 20p 9r 9a, Taylor 16p 6r, Snell 15p, Wilson 13p, Hamson 11p 10r)
Canberra 89 (Tolo 38p 12r, Mansfield 15p 6a, Gwathmey 14p 5r 5a, Ruef 8p 14r 6a)
Boxscore

PostPosted: 10/18/16 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perth Lynx release Monica Wright

Quote:
The Perth Lynx have made the difficult decision to release American guard Monica Wright, after complications arose with a long-term knee injury.

http://www.perthlynx.com/Media/News/perth-lynx-release-monica-wright

PostPosted: 10/18/16 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Sadly not that much of a surprise. When I saw her listed as secretary/treasurer of the WNBPA today my main response was to wonder if she can keep that job if she's not even in the League next year. Feels like she might be pretty much done, unfortunately.

PostPosted: 10/18/16 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Embarassed Canberra has won just as many games as they won last season after just three games.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/19/16 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Sadly not that much of a surprise. When I saw her listed as secretary/treasurer of the WNBPA today my main response was to wonder if she can keep that job if she's not even in the League next year. Feels like she might be pretty much done, unfortunately.

sad. It may be a good thing - let her just get off it and rehab instead of continually trying to halfway play. As you say, it may not be rehab-able, which would be a shame, but it may just be that she keeps trying to get back too soon and continually re-injures it.

- Amanda Gorman
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/23/16 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Round 3

An interesting weekend of results, with the two undefeated teams both going 0-2. Bendigo dropped both of their games after spending the majority of both in front, and the big surprise was Townsville getting destroyed by Dandenong, and then losing again the next night in Sydney. Asia Taylor with a nice couple of games for the Flames.

Adelaide and Perth both joined the YouTube live streaming club. Adelaide's worked pretty well from what I saw, but Perth's first attempt suffered from technical issues, making a lot of the game unwatchable. (It wasn't a pretty game anyway). Melbourne also streamed their win in a more basic way on Facebook. Links for all are below.

Adelaide 61 (Hodges 14p 10r, McKay 12p, Logic 11p 5r 8a 7s, Roberts 8p 12r)
Melbourne 66 (Kunek 17p 6r 5a, Cole 12p, Bowen 10p 5r, Garrick 10p) (Black 2p 4r)
Boxscore
YouTube

Bendigo 69 (Raincock-Ekunwe 17p, Harrington 15p, Griffin 10p 8r 5a, Dietrick 8p)
Sydney 74 (Taylor 15p, Wilson 15p, Mitchell 13p 5a, Hamson 11p 5r, Snell 7p 5r)
Boxscore
YouTube - Highlights only

Dandenong 92 (Cumming 21p 6a, Blicavs 15p 8r, Kennedy 13p 5r, Clydesdale 12p 6a, Scherf 8p 8r) (Malott 5p 4r)
Townsville 65 (Batkovic 18p 10r, Murray 17p, Standish 10p 5a) (Cloud 3p 5r)
Boxscore
YouTube

Sydney 69 (Mitchell 20p 5r 6s, Taylor 19p 13r, Snell 9p 7r 7a, Hamson 6p 5r 5b)
Townsville 68 (Murray 16p 7r, Batkovic 12p 10r, 6b, Cocks 11p, Garbin 10p 8r) (Standish 7p 4r, Cloud 6p 3r)
Boxscore

Perth 65 (Whitcomb 23p 8r, Mijovic 13p 6r, Phillips 11p, Edmondson 8p 7r, Hamblin 4p 9r)
Canberra 59 (Tolo 22p 13r, Ruef 15p 7r, Mansfield 14p 6r 7a, Gwathmey 6p 9r)
Boxscore
YouTube

Melbourne 71 (Smart 17p 9r, Garrick 14p 5r, Cole 13p, Kunek 10p 7r) (Black 4p 2r)
Bendigo 67 (Raincock-Ekunwe 21p, Griffin 13p 11r 5a, Harrington 12p 5r, Richards 6p 6r) (Dietrick 2r 3a)
Boxscore
Facebook

It's early days and a fairly even competition, so there's not much to read in the standings yet other than Adelaide's predictable struggles

Dandenong Rangers 3-1
Melbourne Boomers 3-1
Perth Lynx 3-2
Townsville Fire 2-2
Bendigo Spirit 2-2
Sydney Uni Flames 2-2
Uni of Canberra Capitals 2-2
Adelaide Lightning 0-5

Last edited by Luuuc on 10/24/16 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/23/16 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe she's still settling in, but Dandenong appear to have taken about 5 minutes to decide Ally Malott isn't even much good by WNBL standards.

PostPosted: 10/23/16 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Maybe she's still settling in, but Dandenong appear to have taken about 5 minutes to decide Ally Malott isn't even much good by WNBL standards.

I'm still trying to figure out why she was ever a thing

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/23/16 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tolo is going to fight with Batkovic for that MVP award

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/23/16 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What happened to Novosel's knee and when is she expected back?

caune

PostPosted: 10/24/16 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Quote:
The Perth Lynx have made the difficult decision to release American guard Monica Wright, after complications arose with a long-term knee injury.

http://www.perthlynx.com/Media/News/perth-lynx-release-monica-wright

Wow, they do seem to be obsessed with knees lol. Dymond Simon went on to at least last a training camp, maybe Monica can still find a spot on a team?

PostPosted: 10/24/16 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom, thank you and Luuuc (and everyone else) for the updates.

Is Kathleen Scheer playing in the WNBL this year, or was she just on the Bendigo team that played in the local leagues in the offseason?

Also, what is Jessica Foley up to? I know she retired. Is she coaching?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/24/16 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
awhom, thank you and Luuuc (and everyone else) for the updates.

Is Kathleen Scheer playing in the WNBL this year, or was she just on the Bendigo team that played in the local leagues in the offseason?

Also, what is Jessica Foley up to? I know she retired. Is she coaching?

Scheer isn't playing WNBL this season. I don't really follow the SEABL but it looks like she played in that league for Hobart this year. http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?pID=196090703

I can only guess that Jess Foley is studying medicine full time now (or possibly even finished her degree?). I haven't seen mention of her since the completion of the 2014/15 season.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: