RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ExxonMobil deal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 10/06/16 7:54 am    ::: ExxonMobil deal Reply Reply with quote

Oil It Up: ExxonMobil Signs Multiyear Deal To Sponsor NBA, WNBA, D-League

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2016/10/05/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Exxon-NBA.aspx

Quote:
ExxonMobil has signed a multiyear sponsorship deal with the NBA, making its Mobil 1 brand of synthetic motor oil the NBA, WNBA, and the D-League’s official motor oil, motor fuel and lubricant.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/06/16 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a fan of big oil.
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/06/16 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty slick. Idea

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/06/16 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Not a fan of big oil.

Neither am I, but at least they are putting some money where it will go some good.

It's not like if they didn't sponsor these things that they would magically disappear. Sad

PostPosted: 10/06/16 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mobil 1 is not a bad sponsor honestly...I hate big oil as much as the next guy but if they're talking consumer products or franchised gas stations I can stomach it

PostPosted: 10/06/16 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this like the usual NBA deal with the NBA making $50M, the WNBA $29.99, and the DLeague 50 cents?

StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/06/16 12:34 pm    ::: Re: ExxonMobil deal Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2016/10/05/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Exxon-NBA.aspx

Quote:
ExxonMobil has signed a multiyear sponsorship deal with the NBA, making its Mobil 1 brand of synthetic motor oil the NBA, WNBA, and the D-League’s official motor oil, motor fuel and lubricant.

Just our luck: an oil company signs a sponsor partnership deal with the NBA/WNBA...a year AFTER the Tulsa franchise moves away!

I could see it now...ExxonMobil Oil on top of what used to be the Tulsa Shock uniforms, and probably changing the team nickname to the Tulsa Oil Wells, or Drillers, or something similar! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 10/06/16 1:02 pm    ::: Re: ExxonMobil deal Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Just our luck: an oil company signs a sponsor partnership deal with the NBA/WNBA...a year AFTER the Tulsa franchise moves away!

I could see it now...ExxonMobil Oil on top of what used to be the Tulsa Shock uniforms, and probably changing the team nickname to the Tulsa Oil Wells, or Drillers, or something similar! Rolling Eyes

People seem to forget that the Dallas Wings name/logo is oil company inspired.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/06/16 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas Frackers

- Amanda Gorman
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 10/06/16 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the WNBA's share of that pie ?

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Pretty slick. Idea

WNBA official lubricant ... uhh ...

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 10/06/16 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Pretty slick. Idea

Everything sounds so wrong about that !
yes back in the day Mobil did sponsor Masterpiece Theater
BUT ....

caune

PostPosted: 10/07/16 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
5thmantheme wrote:

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Pretty slick. Idea

Everything sounds so wrong about that !
yes back in the day Mobil did sponsor Masterpiece Theater
BUT ....

They did until Exxon bought them.
I used to use Mobile exclusively when they sponsored Masterpiece. I tend to try to patronize sponsors and league advertisers but nope, I'm still pissed at Exxon for the Valdez lol not going to buy their products.

PostPosted: 10/07/16 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
This new alliance represents the largest and most comprehensive ever in the motor oil category during the league’s 70-year history. The initial focus of the alliance will see ExxonMobil’s Mobil 1 flagship brand become the official motor oil of the NBA, WNBA, and the NBA D-League in the U.S. and China. ExxonMobil also has the ability to promote its branded fuels and lubricant products as the official motor fuel and official lubricant of the league.

The relationship with the NBA adds to ExxonMobil’s portfolio of international sports and sporting event alliances. The new alliance also represents one of the first associations among Mobil 1 motor oil and a major sport other than motorsports. ExxonMobil will serve as an associate partner of NBA Global Games China and promote the alliance at preseason games in Shanghai on Oct. 9 and Beijing on Oct. 12.

http://www.senecaglobe.com/mix-cap-most-movers-exxon-mobil-corporation-nysexom-vale-s-a-nysevale/344677/

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/07/16 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An interesting moral dilemma, which sadly the world is full of…

However much money trickles down to the WNBA, it will be welcomed by the owners. And the league needs happy owners, and in fact needs more owners if expansion is ever to occur. So from that perspective, the Exxon Mobil sponsorship is a good thing.

But it's hard to argue that the money the league gets isn't tainted in some way because of Exxon Mobil's history and contribution to climate change – which may be the biggest problem that this culture faces in the next hundred years.

It's easy to say that the WNBA taking the money will have no impact either way on Exxon Mobil's future actions, and that the short-term goal of improving women's basketball is worth the moral cost of accepting money from a company that refuses to believe i's actions threaten the modern culture that supports women's basketball.

It's also easy to say that the WNBA should occupy the high moral ground, and simply refuse to take the money because it is polluted, so to speak.

In Donald Trump's black-and-white world, this is an easy call – but for most of us, there is such a thing as nuance, and this is one of those situations where either decision looks wrong. Or right.

My choice would be to take the money, but I couldn't argue very hard against those who disagreed with me.

PostPosted: 10/07/16 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
I tend to try to patronize sponsors and league advertisers but nope, I'm still pissed at Exxon for the Valdez lol not going to buy their products.

I'm not criticizing your choice, but it's been, what, 17 and a half years since that happened?

I'm reminded a bit of my stepmom refusing to purchase Mitsubishi products because they manufactured the Zero back during WWII.

But, again, I'm not criticizing. I do get it.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/07/16 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:

I'm not criticizing your choice, but it's been, what, 17 and a half years since that happened?

Add ten years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: