View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/07/16 12:33 am    ::: Chicago Sky 2017 Reply Reply with quote

What needs to be done?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/07/16 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Christie Sides Named Assistant Women's Basketball Coach

Quote:
From 2008-2011, Sides served as an assistant for Spartak Moscow Region in Russia, where she helped Head Coach Pokey Chatman lead Spartak to consecutive FIBA EuroLeague Championships in 2008 and 2009. Sides also served as an assistant on the Slovakian Women's National Team coaching staff in the same period, helping the team qualify for the European Championships in 2009, 2010 and 2011. The Slovaks took eighth place in 2009, their highest finish of Sides' tenure.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/07/16 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago's problem is obvious.They have championship talent.Unfortunately most of the talent overlaps at three positions(PG,SG,PF).Young is good for 25 minutes per game.However,when she goes to the bench,chicago usually has a defensive liability playing backup Small forward(Delle Donne,Pondexter,Quigley)futhermore,you're not maximizing EDD offensive talent by playing her at SF.What chicago should do is make a offer to phoenix for Bonner,or make a trade for a backup SF.

1.Trade Faulkner & Young for Bonner.Sign Kiesel.Trade Parker or Dos Santos & 1st rd pick for for O'Hea or Stricklen.

2.Trade Parker or Dos Santos & 1st rd pick to SA for M.Curry.Young/Curry can split time at SF.

3.Trade Parker or Dos Santos & 1st rd pick to seattle for O'Hea.Jenna would provide length and 3pt shooting.

4.Trade Dos Santos,Parker & 1st rd pick to Connecticut for Stricklen & Henry.Cut De Souza.

Trade #1 final roster:

G-Vandersloot
G-Pondexter
C-Boyette
F-EDD
F-Bonner
6-Quigley
7-Breland
8-O'Hea/Stricklen
9-Dos Santos/Parker
10-Kiesel
11-Laney
12-De souza

Trade #2 final roster:

G-Vandersloot
G-Pondexter
C-Boyette
F-EDD
F-Young
6-Faulkner
7-Quigley
8-Breland
9-Currie
10-Dos Santos/Parker
11-Laney
12-De-Souza

Trade #3 final roster:

G-Vandersloot
G-Pondexter
C-Boyette
F-EDD
F-Young
6-Faulkner
7-Quigley
8-Breland
9-O'Hea
10-Dos Santos/Parker
11-Laney
12-De-Souza

Trade #4 final roster

G-Vandersloot
G-Pondexter
C-Boyette
F-EDD
F-Young
6-Faulkner
7-Quigley
8-Breland
9-Stricklen
10-Henry
11-Laney
12-free agent

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/07/16 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like the Sky to trade up and get Nia Coffey. I would also trade DeSouza to San Antonio for their second round pick.

PostPosted: 10/07/16 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I would like the Sky to trade up and get Nia Coffey. I would also trade DeSouza to San Antonio for their second round pick.

I believe San Antonio traded their 2nd round pick for Monique Currie.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/07/16 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In general, I don't get the Jenna O'Hea love. She'll be 30 next year, she hasn't shot more than 40% in the WNBA for the past two seasons, and she's never had a PER at an average level in her entire career.

Yes, she is a good three-point shooter, and that's rarer than it should be. But to think she's going to solve any any team's serious problems seems to me to be extremely optimistic.

Maybe it's because she's Australian, maybe it's because she's white, but many people seem to think she's better than her history suggests, and I can't quite figure out why.

PostPosted: 10/07/16 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I believe San Antonio traded their 2nd round pick for Monique Currie.

OK thanks.

PostPosted: 10/07/16 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really the longterm comes down to EDD's health. If she is healthy they will be in the mix. If not, not.

1) If they can manage to keep Sloot, Faulkner, Cappie, and Quigley and still improve elsewhere, they should. These four form a very good guard rotation. Faulkner's change of pace and Quigley's shooting/energy off the bench are really a good thing for the team.

2)SF: Send Young to intensive shooting school. (I'm not joking) She could be a real asset if only she could consistently make a 15 foot jumpshot...and finish layups. She has improved so maybe there is hope, but she has also been in the league 10 years so you would think any major improvement would have already occurred. I know I beat on her, but mostly it's that I don't think she should be a starter on any team that wants to win a championship. Still she could be a major contributor if only she could shoot. Anyway I think Pokey's in love with her, so don't think she will be going anywhere so the best Sky fans can hope for is an improvement in shooting. It will be interesting to see how Laney comes back and if she can give her a run for that starter position. I think Laney was decent defensively in college, and definitely has the potential for more offense than Young. She showed some moments as a rookie but was inconsistent. Anyway people seem to be forgetting about her. I don't see the point in adding any SFs (like Stricklen) who can maybe shoot threes but have little defense.

3) posts: This is the real enigma. Boyette was way better than I expected, but I think in the long run she will have some of the same problems we've seen with Griner - foul trouble, doesn't have great stamina and she is 'soft' so can get shoved around. Still, a nice piece to have! A younger DeSouza would have been a great complement. I have always loved Erika but it does look like she is at the end of her career. So if they release Erika who can they get that is better...someone who will be hardnosed and big enough to deal with the other true bigs in the league? This is where the focus needs to be. And it doesn't look like Parker is the answer (at least not Cheyenne) - still it is hard to give up on her as she enters the proverbial third year for a post, which seems to be a pivotal year for posts. But damn, she better go to free throw shooting school as you can't have such a liability on the floor in crucial moments.

4) PFs: Love Breland, and Dos Santos showed a lot in their last game. But both tend to have foul trouble, consistency issues and some limitations. Still, I think between them they could hold down this position as backups for EDD.

At their position in the draft, I don't think they will be finding a quality big. This year's draft is going to be heavy on guards, and the two posts are likely gone earlier. And not sure that signing a FA like Bass or Henry would be an improvement over what they already have.

So I guess from that perspective, if they could trade a guard for a quality big, then hope to fill the guard spot in the draft or thru FA, that's a possibility. Or perhaps Dos Santos and their draft pick though I doubt that would be enough. I'm sure if teams think they can get the 2015 version of Bone, there will be offers going to Phoenix for her but there aren't too many quality bigs out there just floating around. I know Lavender is mentioned often but to me she is more of a PF and I'm not sure why LA would trade her anyway. Not sure where Kia Vaughn is in her contract, but she would be someone of interest too. Perhaps now that Atlanta has EWill, they would be willing to part with Dantas? (OTOH when your other bigs are Gatling, Gray and Hollivay, why would you want to do that!)

- Amanda Gorman
bullsky

PostPosted: 10/07/16 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me it's pretty cut and dry.

Who you keep:
Delle Donne
Pondexter
Young
Quigley
Vandersloot
Boyette
De Souza (only safe because she's a proven veteran)

On the chopping block:
Breland (inconsistent, better without EDD?)
Dos Santos (Good but in Pokey's dog house, why did she not play much?)
Faulkner (only here because she's the most overqualified back up PG in the league)
Parker (improved, but expendable)
Laney (has not done much, though injured)

We need a post, as we can probably get a young guard/wing in the draft. We have good young post players but it would be good to get a difference maker. I think you could group some of the chopping block up to make trades or maybe send Faulkner to a team like Connecticut who needs guard help. I would avoid losing Faulkner because of the age of our backcourt but she does have the most value.

Some posts to target that come to mind include Lavendar (likely a long shot), Jonquel Jones (I think she has great potential), Kizer, Tuck (returns home), Cambage (why not?), Alleyne (low trade value, unproven but maybe work the risk).

I would suggest Bone but she's a headcase.

PostPosted: 10/07/16 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky;

Bone is a team disrupter. She does not know how to get along with her team. Also, she continues to want to shoot the 3-pointer. She is not qualified to shoot the 3-pointer. She will not listen to the coach on how she should play in the paint. Noooooooooooooo

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 10/07/16 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They should try and make a trade for Diggins.
zune69

PostPosted: 10/07/16 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
In general, I don't get the Jenna O'Hea love. She'll be 30 next year, she hasn't shot more than 40% in the WNBA for the past two seasons, and she's never had a PER at an average level in her entire career.

Yes, she is a good three-point shooter, and that's rarer than it should be. But to think she's going to solve any any team's serious problems seems to me to be extremely optimistic.

Maybe it's because she's Australian, maybe it's because she's white, but many people seem to think she's better than her history suggests, and I can't quite figure out why.

No one's asking Jenna to be a 25 minute 15 ppg scorer.Just a 14-18 minute role player off the bench.Jenna is the #1 active 3ptfg shooter & 6th all-time at 41%.Jenna's a very good defender.She has the size,length & lateral quickness to compete with the better wing players in the league.

UK1996

PostPosted: 10/07/16 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd also like to see the sky make a trade for a solid SF. I don't really want to see DeSouza go because she can still provide veteran presence in the paint. I think she did a lot better off the bench this year. I wouldn't mind a player like O'Hea or Strickland. Of the two I'd much rather get Strickland. If it was up to me Send Laney and the first round pick to Connecticut. Miller doesn't seem to care for Strickland so she'd probably be an easy get. I'd personally like to keep Faulkner and Breland just because of Sloot and Delle Donne's injury history. I think the only way you get O'Hea is to send Faulkner to Seattle. The sky also need to consider that Cappie isn't getting any younger. Pokey needs to get consistent with her rotations and give Quigley more playing time.

2017 Roster
PG: Vandersloot/Faulkner
SG: Pondexter/ Quigley/Draft Pick or FA
SF: Young/Strickland
PF: Delle Donne/Breland/Parker or FA
C: Boyette/DeSouza

PostPosted: 10/07/16 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky had no one 5'11" , 6'0" or 6'1". The only team more stretched in the middle was the Sun gapping also at 5'10" but with some minutes filled by Faris.

Sparks are adding Bebe , Tolo and #4 pick. One of their Wings will have to go. Sky are a more attractive destination right now than the Sun.

This draft has a lot of Wing sized players and talent floating around, and the Sky have at least 1 extra big to trade.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/07/16 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

No one's asking Jenna to be a 25 minute 15 ppg scorer.Just a 14-18 minute role player off the bench.Jenna is the #1 active 3ptfg shooter & 6th all-time at 41%.Jenna's a very good defender.She has the size,length & lateral quickness to compete with the better wing players in the league.

I think its because she is a pretty good versatile defender and also a good 3pointer shooter. There arent a lot of players that do both pretty well

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 10/07/16 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they just need that one extra bench player. Their starters are solid, but they need a little boost from their bench. Quigley also needs to find her shot again.

PG: Vandersloot/Faulkner
SG: Pondexter/Quigley
SF: Delle Donne/Young
PF: Breland/dos Santos
C: Boyette/DeSouza/Parker
12th: tba(a guard)

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 10/07/16 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Christie Sides Named Assistant Women's Basketball Coach

Quote:
From 2008-2011, Sides served as an assistant for Spartak Moscow Region in Russia, where she helped Head Coach Pokey Chatman lead Spartak to consecutive FIBA EuroLeague Championships in 2008 and 2009. Sides also served as an assistant on the Slovakian Women's National Team coaching staff in the same period, helping the team qualify for the European Championships in 2009, 2010 and 2011. The Slovaks took eighth place in 2009, their highest finish of Sides' tenure.

I think that means a boost in pay. And possibly a falling out with Pokey. With her resume of assistant coaching I am surprised she can't make a jump into a head coaching position right now. Although she might not want one.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/07/16 9:28 pm    ::: Re: Chicago Sky 2017 Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
What needs to be done?

They need a big wing. A 2 or a 3 or a 2/3.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/07/16 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
SF: Delle Donne/Young
PF: Breland/dos Santos

The thing is, that didn't happen. Pretty early this season, Breland had to start trying to learn how to play the 3, because they realised they wanted Delle Donne at the 4 as much as possible. It made things awkward, and made Breland a much less effective player.

That's why I'm not sure they need another post any more. If they believe in Boyette - who definitely had positive stretches this season, but also had some JaVale McGee-esque moments of "Get her off the floor!"ness - then you've got most of the post minutes covered. They could use another wing with size, but in fairness that was probably meant to be Laney until the injury.

Better health, better chemistry, better luck, another year together as a unit, and maybe better defensive coaching might be all they need.

PostPosted: 10/07/16 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is the free agency status for the roster?

I wouldn't be surprised if De Souza, Pondexter or Quigley were unrestricted free agents. Vandersloot might be getting close unless she signed a long contract recently, and with Breland having been out of the league and then signed I'm not sure how that works, if she is out of contract does she go unrestricted or reserve?

Defense is the problem in Chicago which makes trading Young, one of there better defenders difficult. Boyette and EDD is a decent tandem upfront, and Dos Santos and Breland are a nice bench post combo.

Vandersloot, Pondexter, Faulkner and Quigley are all good but are any of them good defenders?

If De Souza can stick around another year maybe see if Dallas would want a true PG and some size up front Faulkner and C. Parker for Christmas. IDK Christmas is a good player for Dallas but if they see Powers moving into the starting line up, they want Philips veteran presence, and they stick with Sims/Diggins a decent back up PG might pique some interest, and Parker can give them more then Hamblin backing up Paris, she is already a better defensive option than Paris and if Cheyenne takes a step forward she could be an 18 minute a night option for Dallas at center when they want to go bigger. OK not sure Dallas goes for it, but Faulkner running with Sims and Diggins and Powers depending on who is on the floor has some excitement and potential attached to it.

Christmas could start at the 3 in Chicago and slide over to the two when Young comes in, Christmas and Young gives Chicago a whole different look than there current options. You can also slide Cappie over to back up Vanderlsoot allowing for a bigger perimeter when you use Christmas or Young at the 2 spot. Christmas also shoots the 3 which can keep the floor spread for EDD and gives her another shooting threat on the floor to pass too when she is double or tripled.

Chicago could get a nice steady back up point like L. Allen at #9, or Romero.

Vandersloot/#9
Pondexter/Quigley
Christmas/Young/Laney
EDD/Breland/Dos Santos
Boyette/De Souza

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/08/16 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What they need will pretty much depend on how effective Cappie will be next season. Will she still play as a decent 2nd scorer on the team? Or will her game fade even more which means they get even more depended on EDD. How will Laney return from injury and will she continue to work on her shot like she did overseas in Australia last season? Because she could be a decent defender at the SF position.

EDD has to play the PF position. No doubt about that but that probably means that Breland will have to come off the bench because her at SF doesnt work out at all.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 10/08/16 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

maybe a trade of Breland for a SF might benefit the Sky?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 10/08/16 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CHI's biggest problem seems to be not being able to rely on Delle Donne to stay healthy. And they already have a big perimeter player in Laney, so no crazy trades needed. I don't see Laney getting kicked to the curb just because she got injured and apparently forgotten. Dos Santos looked good down the stretch. She seems to be getting it. I'd keep her over de Souza, but keep de Souza if you think she's a good locker room presence. Get healthy and start Boyette from Day 1 next season. No major moves.

Vandersloot/Faulkner
Pondexter/Quigley/#9 pick
Young/Laney
Delle Donne/Breland/dos Santos
Boyette/de Souza

Delle Donne will be making max next season, but that shouldn't be a problem.
#9 pick doesn't necessarily have to be a SG, if Laney can be put in that spot. I believe that's where she was playing when she went down. If they are lucky, they can draft Coffey (NW product), Davis, or Vivians (early dec) with #9.

I could see Parker getting traded for table scraps or cut, or possibly keep her and trade Breland for something better (first round pick?)

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/08/16 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that coach Sides has left the team the Sky need to find a coach that has a good foundation in teaching defense. It would be great if the Sky found a player that can make 3pt. shots.

PostPosted: 10/08/16 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

In her last three seasons, she's 77 for 204 (37.7%) from three and as mentioned, she'll be 30 next year.

And I have to say I don't see her as being able to compete with the better wing players in the league ... she's about even with the reserves, perhaps, but she's only started 21 out of the 153 games she's played in the WNBA.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: