RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/05/16 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Shoni Schimmel doesn't start, or at least play lots of minutes and play well, her impact on ticket sales will be negligible at best. Stephanie White was supposed to pack the place in Indiana but it didn't happen because she didn't play.

And I remain skeptical that Schimmel, even as a starter, will deliver thousands of ticketbuyers over the course of the season. There is no precedent in the 20-year history of the league -- or in the NBA -- for a player selling lots of tickets on a consistent basis due to ethnic background. Even Jeremy Lin was only briefly a boost to attendance; Michael Jordan and LeBron elevated attendance because of their ability.

The only reason I would want Schimmel on my team would be that I thought she would help me win -- as the only proven way to sell more tickets in the WNBA is to win more games.

PostPosted: 10/05/16 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
If Shoni Schimmel doesn't start, or at least play lots of minutes and play well, her impact on ticket sales will be negligible at best. Stephanie White was supposed to pack the place in Indiana but it didn't happen because she didn't play.

And I remain skeptical that Schimmel, even as a starter, will deliver thousands of ticketbuyers over the course of the season. There is no precedent in the 20-year history of the league -- or in the NBA -- for a player selling lots of tickets on a consistent basis due to ethnic background. Even Jeremy Lin was only briefly a boost to attendance; Michael Jordan and LeBron elevated attendance because of their ability.

The only reason I would want Schimmel on my team would be that I thought she would help me win -- as the only proven way to sell more tickets in the WNBA is to win more games.

x________________________________

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/05/16 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Clark is a nice player but she could not stay with Angel in the one and done game at all, and her size was exposed against the bigger, more athletic Angel. I respect her D, and understand that maybe nobody can guard Angel when she's playing that way, but not sure why she would even be considered that much of an upgrade over what we have. She might not even be an upgrade. She's 5'10 just like Zellous. She's a better 3 ball shooter, but Z creates her own shot better, so...

That's not what we need. If we are going to compete for a championship, we need size and scoring on the wing. I certainly wouldn't trade Zahui for her. I'd rather roll the dice on Allen developing enough to be more of a factor next year.

With the way Angel was playing no one was going to stop her. That is not a knock on Clark

And Schimmel for O'Hea is not even trade IMO. Storm dont need another overweight player who cant guard anyone to save her life. We have KML for that

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/05/16 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hear ya. I didn't mean it as a knock on Clark so much as the way the Libs are built I think they need a steady presence 6'1" or better to match up to the elite 6'0" or better wing players. To contend to win a title, I think that's a must.

I didn't propose the SS for O'Hea deal. But not too sure how I feel about it from either side honestly. The Libs already have Allen so O'Hea seems redundant without the upside. Shoni is an unknown as far as understanding what it takes to prepare in an offseason, so it remains to be seen if she has any value to anyone, period.

PostPosted: 10/07/16 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
The more realistic option.

Re-sign Sugar.
Start Prince and Rodgers.
Bring back Bulgak.
We currently do not have a 1st round pick.
Schimmel and 2nd round pick fight for last spot.

Prince/Boyd
Rodgers/Wright/Schimmel
Zellous/Allen
Charles/Stokes/Bulgak
Swords/Zahui B.

I really like this team. I really enjoy rooting for this team.

We could move forward on internal growth specifically Stokes, Zahui B., Boyd, Allen, Schimmel and Bulgak, can all be better than last year, and Prince can be heathy again that will keep us in the mix. I'm just not sure this is enough to be better than a top 4 team, and I'm not sure we can jump ahead of the teams above us.

So this is the basic question, can the team above compete for a championship in 2017?

If the answer is yes, with decent internal growth and a little bit of luck I'm all for it.

If the answer is no there isn't enough talent or star talent to get past the top teams what do you think we should do? (Feel free to get creative.)

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/08/16 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The big thing I take from where we are is that I trust the organization to make the right basketball decisions. Once Stokes and Wright were injured, Laimbeer described the team as a "very different team". I think there's an acute understanding on his and the organization's part on how to get the pieces to properly fit together in order to have a championship team.

In the facebook post the team put out reflecting on 2016, Sugar was talking as if she expects to be on the team in 2017. That doesn't HAVE to mean anything, but it could mean something. I think Allen is going to be the player most closely evaluated by the organization heading into 2017 with Boyd a close second. One of those positions is going to see a drastic change, because with Piph's return that's what probably has to happen. I think the team can win with a Piph/Rodgers backcourt as long as the 3 spot gives you size, defense and some rebounding. They've done well with Wright at the point so I think we know that they really don't need a pure point guard for the offense to run. However, that would necessitate a move of Wright from the starting lineup which still makes the team different defensively. Not sure that would be a part of Bill's thinking. Regarding Allen on the plus side, 5.7 points over 13.3 minutes is actually pretty impressive. Pro rated that would be 11.4 points over 26.6 minutes, not bad productivity at all. However, that was attained largely by shooting .567 from 3, a percentage that will simply not be matched playing more minutes. She shot much worse from 2 point distance, in my opinion a by-product of having almost no counter moves for tight defense. Her 2 point shot almost always consists of one or two dribbles going left followed by a 15-18 footer. She needs more versatility in her game going to the basket. Which oddly enough she seemed to do more at first and less as the season went on. She has the skill to take the ball to the rim. She just needs the willingness. That willingness is what would make her a consistent scorer each night. So it's a waiting game.

But I guess we will know in about 8 months. *Sigh*.

PostPosted: 10/08/16 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd like to raise something that hasn't been mentioned much here. We don't know for sure who will be running or coaching the New York Liberty in 2017.

1. Will sexual harasser Isiah Thomas be back as president of the team? I continue to believe that if the Knicks get off to a bad start--which I view as quite possible--then Jimmy Dolan will push out Phil Jackson and install his buddy Isiah as head of the Knicks.

2. Will Kristin Bernert be back as Senior Vice President of Business and Basketball Operations? (That seems to be her title.) The answer to that could depend on the answer to #1.

3. Will Bill Laimbeer be back as coach? The answer to that could depend on the answers to #1 and #2.

4. Will Katie Smith be back as associate head coach? Will she get a head coaching job elsewhere? (Or for the Liberty?)

I have no information on any of these questions. Could be that all of them will be back, or all but Katie Smith. But I don't take it as a guarantee that things will stay as they are. Never forget that the guy at the top is Jimmy Dolan. Would anyone trust Jimmy to make a good decision about anything?

PostPosted: 10/09/16 3:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't, but the WNBA operation has largely been left alone when it has done fairly well. He loves Isiah and has never fired a coach or GM after back to back 20 win seasons. If it hasn't been a trend prior I don't think it would be likely to start now.

Of course, there is that possibility Isiah could rejoin the Knicks. Hopefully they've added enough talent where they become a 50-win team or so. I think anything between 35 and 50 wins is possible with a bunch of new players who've had injuries.

PostPosted: 10/12/16 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/101116aac.html

Quote:
[Zahui] is playing for Nadezhda Orenburg in Russia.

Last year, the team advanced to the EuroLeague finals. Zahui B. and Nadezha Orenburg got off to a 3-0 start in Russia-PBL play this fall. Zahui B. recently scored 16 points and tallied six rebounds in 20 minutes in a victory.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/14/16 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excellent radio session as Swin Cash and Tina Charles discuss sports activism on social and political issues on Brian Lehrer's show, WNYC in New York. Runs about 33 minutes. High point for me: at about the 18:45 mark, Tina Charles takes a lovely swipe at a hideous presidential candidate with a remark about "locker room talk."

http://www.wnyc.org/story/wnba-new-york-liberty-players-talk-sports-activism/

PostPosted: 10/20/16 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm happy to see Essence Carson win a WNBA championship. She started off so well in 2013, then had that terrible knee injury, and it's surely been a long, painful road since then.

PostPosted: 10/20/16 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I'm happy to see Essence Carson win a WNBA championship. She started off so well in 2013, then had that terrible knee injury, and it's surely been a long, painful road since then.

yeah, she is a quality human being!

- Amanda Gorman
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/20/16 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

yeah, she is a quality human being!

X______

Great person, great person to have on a team. I don't think she would have replicated this in New York, and I'm happy that she was able to get back into her groove.

PostPosted: 10/20/16 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

X______________

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/20/16 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great to see others sharing my happiness for Essence Carson. I share all the tributes to her.

PostPosted: 10/26/16 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swords' 2016 season in review:

http://liberty.wnba.com/news/2016-season-review-carolyn-swords/

I've always liked how Swords' helps Charles' game and having her play mostly at PF.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 10/26/16 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I've always liked how Swords' helps Charles' game and having her play mostly at PF.

I wish someone in Chicago would explain to me why she was let go. POKEY?

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 10/26/16 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

My favorite player on the team. Former BC Eagle, saw her play a few times there and got to talk to her the year she was out of the league for the knee injury. Just an amazing woman.
toad455

PostPosted: 10/26/16 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
toad455 wrote:

She injured her knee prior to training camps in 2014 and was cut by the Sky. Her injury forced her to miss all of 2014.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/26/16 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
toad455 wrote:

My favorite player on the team. Former BC Eagle, saw her play a few times there and got to talk to her the year she was out of the league for the knee injury. Just an amazing woman.

Carolyn Swords has been a valuable player for the Liberty. In addition, I greatly admire Swords for speaking out with Tina Charles, Swin Cash, Tanisha Wright, and Kiah Stokes at the press conference after the July 10th game at the Garden where Liberty players wore black T-shirts saying "Black Lives Matter" and "Dallas 5."

PostPosted: 10/27/16 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
toad455 wrote:

She injured her knee prior to training camps in 2014 and was cut by the Sky. Her injury forced her to miss all of 2014.

I understand those issues took place toad455 but I thought Pokey could of signed her for the 2015 season.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/27/16 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zahui vs EWill (on same team overseas) latest game results
Zahui : 18 Pts, 11 Reb, 2 Ast, 2 Blk
EWill : 10 Pts, 4 Reb, 2 Ast, 1 Stl, 1 Blk

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/03/16 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just want to update a prediction I made a while back. The Knicks are off to a terrible start. Only four games, granted, but they are 1-3 and their opponents have thus far averaged 110 points per game. Tonight at Madison Square Garden Houston scored 68 first-half points against the Knicks.

I believe that if the Knicks have a bad first half of the season, Phil Jackson will quit, will get pushed out, or will depart by mutual consent. And that the utter fool who owns the franchise, Jimmy Dolan, will bring in his BFF, sexual harasser Isiah Thomas, to run the Knicks. Which would at least get Isiah away from the Liberty and the WNBA.

PostPosted: 11/13/16 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the Knicks remain a poor defensive team. Looking at their talent, that's not that likely to significantly improve either. Melo is a poor team defender. Rose's explosiveness is a fraction of what it once was. Porzingis is an emerging offense player but not a good defender. If your 3 best players don't defend, you aren't going to win no matter how much they do on the other end of the floor. Adding Lee and Noah, who's seemingly lost a step himself from what I've seen, isn't enough.

PostPosted: 11/13/16 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zahui is performing well overseas. But lots of so-so WNBA post players do the same thing. Hopefully it's the type of performance that enables her to build on her skills when she returns to the U.S. At some point I have to settle in to watch some of her games.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 5 of 80

Jump to: