Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerd2

PostPosted: 10/02/16 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Phoenix retained their first round pick in the 2017 draft, right? Where do they currently pick in the first round?

5th I believe

Has Dee mentioned whether she'll be back next season?
After a busy 2016 for her I could easily see her opting for a summer off again next WNBA season.

Either way it's definitely time for rebuild mode now.

If the Merc are rebuilding, and DT is thinking about a break again..she probably should try and join the Seattle team. Play out her final years with Sue, teach Stewie how to swear..and they'd actually be pretty good. (Granted, Phoenix should still be pretty good too, but you never know considering they should have been pretty good this season..) I doubt she does that to Phoenix or Brit specifically, but it might make her happier for the final years of her career.

I wouldn't hold it against her if she wanted to do that. It felt to me like her heart was not fully in it this WNBA season. She seemed to enjoy Rio though.
The Mercury need to address life without Dee either way, because one way or another an era will be ending fairly soon.

I doubt DT would be allowed to come to Seattle. They are trying to build a young, disciplined, team-first group who use defense to fuel their offense. Diana is none of those things. I'd rather build up Loyd, KML, or Clark who would presumably have another decade in the tank.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/02/16 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Phoenix retained their first round pick in the 2017 draft, right? Where do they currently pick in the first round?

5th I believe

After a busy 2016 for her I could easily see her opting for a summer off again next WNBA season.

If the Merc are rebuilding, and DT is thinking about a break again..she probably should try and join the Seattle team. Play out her final years with Sue, teach Stewie how to swear..and they'd actually be pretty good. (Granted, Phoenix should still be pretty good too, but you never know considering they should have been pretty good this season..) I doubt she does that to Phoenix or Brit specifically, but it might make her happier for the final years of her career.

I wouldn't hold it against her if she wanted to do that. It felt to me like her heart was not fully in it this WNBA season. She seemed to enjoy Rio though.
The Mercury need to address life without Dee either way, because one way or another an era will be ending fairly soon.

I doubt DT would be allowed to come to Seattle. They are trying to build a young, disciplined, team-first group who use defense to fuel their offense. Diana is none of those things. I'd rather build up Loyd, KML, or Clark who would presumably have another decade in the tank.

We're getting very hypothetical now obviously, but you really think Seattle would turn her down if she wanted to play there as a free agent? I mean sure she is ageing and her game has its flaws, but Surprised
Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm pushing for it to happen! Retiring as a 1-team player is something to be admired IMO.

PostPosted: 10/02/16 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

5th I believe

If Taurasi's heart wasn't in this season, just think about how it'll be without her ride or die there.

BUT, Taylor did mention she wanted to learn coaching under Brondello (hint, hint). Bring back Taylor as an assistant? That would require Brondello staying on as head coach, which some people don't like. But come on, Brondello should be out of a job while Williams keeps his? Talk about an injustice.

During the Deanna Nolan 20-for-20 special the other night it made me question if her Russian team might look at this WNBA summer, having seen Taurasi get banged up here and there for a vastly underperforming team, and they put the permanent Summer Off Bonus back on the table. She's not getting any younger for Phoenix, but UMMC is the team who could actually pay her to take time off and potentially gain more seasons out of her body.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 10/02/16 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't blame Brondello for this. She had an incredibly good 2014 in part because Diana kept her temper, Brittney wasn't a foul machine and everyone played defense. She did make the important change late in the season to move Xargay to the starting 5 to free Dee up for more scoring. Xargay's big issue was that she could not figure out how to stop fouling.

Rebkell's puritanical streak means some of the personality interactions cannot be discussed here but the bottom line is that there was a specific reason why Dupree and Bonner might not have played well together this year as opposed to years past. The entire team is also getting a bit old and a faster perimeter player or two might help them. The idea of bringing in DRob is intriguing here.

When you say Diana should go to Seattle, do you mean via trade? She signed her last contract - multi-year - in Aug of 2014. I know she skipped 2015 so I'm not 100% sure what that means for the contract. I assume it simply moved back by a year so the multi-year would be 2016, 2017 and perhaps 2018 and 2019. She is one of those I'd expect to retire with her original team.

Dupree signed a multi-year at the end of 2012, so it is assumed it was a 4 year and she will be a UFA now. Bonner was cored in 2015 and signed a multi-year then. If it was a 2 year, she could be a UFA in 2017. If it was a 4 year, she'd tie up the core tag until 2019. We'll find out in January, I suppose.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 10/02/16 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

5th I believe

We're getting very hypothetical now obviously, but you really think Seattle would turn her down if she wanted to play there as a free agent? I mean sure she is ageing and her game has its flaws, but Surprised
Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm pushing for it to happen! Retiring as a 1-team player is something to be admired IMO.

I will admit I am not 100% certain. The coaching staff has been very open about what they want to build and she would absolutely not fit. But, if Sue were to want it I cannot see them turning it down. As I posted, though, I doubt she's a FA with her last multi-year being signed in late 2014. The Storm have nothing to trade for a player of her caliber. Loyd, Stewart and Tokashiki would undoubtedly be off the table here.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/02/16 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you guys think you are gonna teach KML defense.... Laughing

PostPosted: 10/02/16 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Don't blame Brondello for this. She had an incredibly good 2014 in part because Diana kept her temper, Brittney wasn't a foul machine and everyone played defense. She did make the important change late in the season to move Xargay to the starting 5 to free Dee up for more scoring. Xargay's big issue was that she could not figure out how to stop fouling.

Rebkell's puritanical streak means some of the personality interactions cannot be discussed here but the bottom line is that there was a specific reason why Dupree and Bonner might not have played well together this year as opposed to years past. The entire team is also getting a bit old and a faster perimeter player or two might help them. The idea of bringing in DRob is intriguing here.

When you say Diana should go to Seattle, do you mean via trade? She signed her last contract - multi-year - in Aug of 2014. I know she skipped 2015 so I'm not 100% sure what that means for the contract. I assume it simply moved back by a year so the multi-year would be 2016, 2017 and perhaps 2018 and 2019. She is one of those I'd expect to retire with her original team.

Dupree signed a multi-year at the end of 2012, so it is assumed it was a 4 year and she will be a UFA now. Bonner was cored in 2015 and signed a multi-year then. If it was a 2 year, she could be a UFA in 2017. If it was a 4 year, she'd tie up the core tag until 2019. We'll find out in January, I suppose.

Yeah, I don't know that the Brondello criticism is very warranted either. She fixed up a broken game plan to great effect in 2014 and won a title, and then did better than anyone expected last season as well. This season struck me as being a lot more about player effort, focus & chemistry than anything Sandy could have direct control over. I don't imagine that "leave your brains in the locker room and don't try too hard" was among her game day messages, but I'm a long way away so I can only speculate based on the little I can see.
When all is said and done 2016 will obviously go down as a disappointing and wasted season for the Mercury. Based on the names on the roster at the start of the season pretty much everyone predicted big things, so a sub-.500 record is a failure for sure.
How the blame is apportioned will I guess decide her fate.

I don't see why personal stuff can't get a mention here. It's relevant. I don't follow that side of it so I only see what's obvious to me. If there have been DB-CanDu issues then it's news to me but it could certainly help explain some things.

PostPosted: 10/03/16 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

Yeah, I don't know that the Brondello criticism is very warranted either. She fixed up a broken game plan to great effect in 2014 and won a title, and then did better than anyone expected last season as well. This season struck me as being a lot more about player effort, focus & chemistry than anything Sandy could have direct control over. I don't imagine that "leave your brains in the locker room and don't try too hard" was among her game day messages, but I'm a long way away so I can only speculate based on the little I can see.
When all is said and done 2016 will obviously go down as a disappointing and wasted season for the Mercury. Based on the names on the roster at the start of the season pretty much everyone predicted big things, so a sub-.500 record is a failure for sure.

I don't see why personal stuff can't get a mention here. It's relevant. I don't follow that side of it so I only see what's obvious to me. If there have been DB-CanDu issues then it's news to me but it could certainly help explain some things.

Well, if a mod says so... Can-Du and DB were a couple and they broke up over the winter. The press source I spoke with over this was skeptical that it had a direct bearing on their attitude towards each other because they are professionals. She did admit that both started the season in horrible slumps and that they lacked the zest that she'd seen in past years which might have made it more difficult to overcome it. According to her, DB was usually the person who could help DT not get frustrated and defensively focused in 2014. I'm not saying that a personal issue sunk the team at all. I am saying that two players each had something on their minds that may have made the overcoming of a slump more difficult. Add to that Diana and Brittney's fiery temperament and what they had was a team that sometimes did not play united. This also resulted in DT getting frustrated which is never a good thing.

They played quite well at the end of the season, though. I honestly think this sweep was more running out of gas and going up against the Lynx who are equally adept at getting calls. Brondello is a good coach and the fact that she couldn't corral some of the temperaments at times is not her fault, I feel.

BelloFratello

PostPosted: 10/03/16 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:

Nerd2, I would like you to elaborate on the "personality interactions" between Dewanna Bonner and Candice Dupree if you are able. It seems you are referring to something you might have some deep info on that I am not privy too. Like Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc I am curious to what you are hiding. And I don't see why it can't be discussed here either.

PostPosted: 10/03/16 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

Well, if a mod says so... Can-Du and DB were a couple and they broke up over the winter. The press source I spoke with over this was skeptical that it had a direct bearing on their attitude towards each other because they are professionals. She did admit that both started the season in horrible slumps and that they lacked the zest that she'd seen in past years which might have made it more difficult to overcome it. According to her, DB was usually the person who could help DT not get frustrated and defensively focused in 2014. I'm not saying that a personal issue sunk the team at all. I am saying that two players each had something on their minds that may have made the overcoming of a slump more difficult. Add to that Diana and Brittney's fiery temperament and what they had was a team that sometimes did not play united. This also resulted in DT getting frustrated which is never a good thing.

They played quite well at the end of the season, though. I honestly think this sweep was more running out of gas and going up against the Lynx who are equally adept at getting calls. Brondello is a good coach and the fact that she couldn't corral some of the temperaments at times is not her fault, I feel.

Thanks - no, I wasn't aware they had split up. (The few players I do pay attention to on social media are aussies) I too doubt that's what sunk the team but it's easy to imagine it having some negative impact this season. It might also affect our trade decisions going forward I guess. Both players had patchy seasons, but the same could also be said for every key player on the team.

Last edited by Luuuc on 10/03/16 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Nerd2

PostPosted: 10/03/16 1:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BelloFratello wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

Nerd2, I would like you to elaborate on the "personality interactions" between Dewanna Bonner and Candice Dupree if you are able. It seems you are referring to something you might have some deep info on that I am not privy too. Like Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc I am curious to what you are hiding. And I don't see why it can't be discussed here either.

I already did. And it's honestly not much more to discuss (nor is it very deep). I suspect it was not as much animosity as just a lot of little reasons why they and all the others could not function as smoothly as in 2014. It just shows how very special a year like that really is.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 10/03/16 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Thanks - no, I wasn't aware they had split up. The few players I do pay attention to on social media are aussies. I too doubt that's what sunk the team but it's easy to imagine it having some negative impact this season. It might also affect our trade decisions I guess. Both players had patchy seasons, but the same could also be said for every key player on the team.

They do need to start getting more youth. Like Seattle, they don't seem to have an heir apparent for their Olympic guard. They also have a glut of pure centers - Griner, Harrison, Bone - and two PFs who might move on in Can Du and Bass. The move for Bone made no sense to me as I thought Harrison was worth developing there. Xargay and Harden will probably stay just because there's no other guards in play right now. And, of course, who will play Penny's spot? DB?

Another question is: is Diana the right player to help a team rebuild? It would hurt their fans tremendously if she left but we in Seattle were assuming we would lose Sue after 2014 and did not begrudge her the right to go out with a contender.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/03/16 4:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two players that were allstar level players in 15 who stunk it up in 16 Bone and Sims so trade Bone for Sims, with how bad Bone was maybe PX throws in #5 and gets back number #10

So Bone and #5 for Sims and #10

Sims is better than she played this year, maybe a change of scenery, re-uniting with Griner (if they were buds at Baylor, they seemed to compliment each other well on the court). Sims won't play hero ball when she is lined up next to Taurasi, and will be able to focus on her game. Sims has some Pondexter in her and DT and Pondexter were a good pair (on the court). Sims would also become the heir apparent perimeter scorer when Taurasi moves on. But there could be worse thing then building the future mercury around Griner, Bonner and Sims.

You just have to convince Dallas that Bone was a bad fit in PX and still has game, a two headed center of Bone and Paris could work. And with Sims out of the picture Dallas could start Diggins, Christmas and Powers with Philips as the super sub off the bench, That is a better team defensively Sky goes back to be the #1 option, that perimeter with the two headed center and GloJo isn't a bad team.

If Dupree is an UFA you could core and trade her I wonder if SA would do Dupree for D-Rob, SA needs a starting level PF, seems like a bad trade to me but couldn't hurt to ask, or just let her go. Then try to bring in a new PF, this is another place where C. Little could work nicely. If Little wants a ship she could go to PX but I probably go to LA or NY first if they call. Langhorne or Pierson might be out there as well.

Get what ever guard or SF falls to #10 in the draft Epps, Coffey, Weise, Scaife

Doesn't PX also still have the rights to C. George. They could try and bring back the Aussie guard they let go Magden (I think that was her name) or Mitchell if she didn't sign for another season in Was. Or try and find a diamond in the rough in the 2nd round if they can't afford anyone else. If they want someone 6' 7" and cheap they could sign Hamson if she has a good season in Australia, or K. Griffin might be attainable to fill out their bench, work those Aussie connections.

Sims/Xargay
Taurasi/Harden/Draft pick
Bonner/Petrovic
C. Little/George
Griner/Harrison

shontay33

PostPosted: 10/03/16 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

I agree, personal relationships are irrelevant. The team did not preform as they should have. I think having to fit Diana and Penny back in really changed the chemistry of the team.

SCook

PostPosted: 10/03/16 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Something that hasn't been brought up is BG's contract.

After her 4th year, she moves off her rookie contract so how does that effect salaries? Or even her status as of now?

PostPosted: 10/03/16 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

I agree, personal relationships are irrelevant. The team did not preform as they should have. I think having to fit Diana and Penny back in really changed the chemistry of the team.

Trust me, interpersonal relationships effect team chemistry just as much. Especially if it's not addressed. I do think D and Penny fitting back in effected chemistry to a degree, however that was to be expected. They missed an entire year so you deal. However, if you do factor in DB and Pree, that brings the chemistry to a whole different level of disaster, if they aren't able to work together and let things go.

PostPosted: 10/03/16 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Until otherwise proven wrong, I'm going to assume Phoenix will clear the decks and shit the bed to position themselves better for the 2018 draft.
'\

Sorry Queenie but what? Shit the bed? LOL, that's the expression I use every year when it comes to NY and the play offs Laughing

The Mercury will clear the bench mostly and be more active in free agency and Diana isn.t going anywhere, especially Seattle, because the fans would hang Jim Pittman by his balls if he traded her, especially to a west coast team. I think we can deal with having the G.O.A.T on our team for one more year Rolling Eyes Championship or not.

PostPosted: 10/03/16 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This version of the Mercury is pretty much done, it seems to me.

Without Taylor, the effort level level on defense will drop to near zero, Taurasi is still good but no longer great, and Griner and Dupree are uninterested too much of the time.

Traditionally, owners blame the coach in these kinds of situations, as it's hoped that a new voice will inspire players like Dupree and Griner, who don't give consistent effort. I'm not sure that's the case here, as for the most part, professional players are who they are.

Fire Brondello? Sure, but it really doesn't matter who's in charge with this mismatched team. By the time the Mercury are good again, Taurasi will no longer be a factor, and Dupree's indifference will have probably ushered her out of the league. That leaves Griner and DeWanna Bonner, and, well, …

So yes, Phoenix is lottery bound, but I'm not sure there's a glittering prize to be found in the next couple years. Katie Lou Samuelson looks to me to be the real deal, but I'm not convinced she's going to be a franchise player either.

It's been fun, though ...

PostPosted: 10/03/16 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a year ago they went 20-14 with no Taurasi, no Taylor, and Griner only playing 26 games. Phoenix might be better off without over-the-hill Penny and half-assing Diana.

PostPosted: 10/03/16 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Just a year ago they went 20-14 with no Taurasi, no Taylor, and Griner only playing 26 games. Phoenix might be better off without over-the-hill Penny and half-assing Diana.

What's CHI's record without Delle Donne? Wink

A lot of prominent players were missing last season though. Parker and Fowles for half a season. Glory Johnson and Diggins. Chiney Ogwumike. Who am I forgetting? Bonner was really good last year, and some people liked her in 2012 despite her low efficiency. I suppose Bonner might step up again in that situation. Bonner needs to get over riding the refs on every play and just play. That would help.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/03/16 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, I think the Dupree/Bonner stuff answers a lot of questions.

And they did play well at the end of the season. They ran out of offense against the Lynx (with a lack of consistent scorers), and don't have a bench.

And yeah, I think DT is here for at least one more season. I don't know past that.

PostPosted: 10/03/16 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well was hoping for a bigger fight from the Merc.

Just some bad pieces and Bonner OMG her decision making is horrible, maybe McCall has been watching her too much LOL.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/03/16 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Something that hasn't been brought up is BG's contract.

After her 4th year, she moves off her rookie contract so how does that effect salaries? Or even her status as of now?

She'll be a max contract, but you're taking Taylor's max contract off the books.

But Kelsey Bone was #5 in the Thee to See draft, so she'll also be looking to "get comfortable" with a max contract. If PHX doesn't want to pay her, I'm sure somebody will (like SEA... maybe DAL). Can you imagine if Taurasi and Bone both headed to SEA?

Bird/#7 pick (AJones, Plum, or Allen)
Loyd/MWright
Taurasi/KML/O'Hea, I'm still here!
Stewart/Bishop(?)
Bone, Thomas

Clark, Tokashiki, and draft pick shipped to PHX in Taurasi deal
Langhorne to PHX in sign and trade deal for Bone.

Playoff contender?

Bench is a little feebs but the starters are all set and ready to rock.

miller40

PostPosted: 10/03/16 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I missed something. Why are people talking about Taurasi to Seattle? Because of Bird?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/03/16 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
I missed something. Why are people talking about Taurasi to Seattle? Because of Bird?

I was the first to bring it up, so I'll answer. There's the Bird aspect, and then it seems like SEA is more championship ready right now than PHX is sans Taylor. Bird's career seems a bit rejuvenated being around Loyd/Stewart. Maybe the same jolt would happen to Taurasi. And then finally it's just the fun aspect. Does it seem like Taurasi had fun this season? Will it be any more fun next season without her ride or die there? SEA seems fairly drama free, and just about fun basketball.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19

Jump to: