RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/19/16 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not quite sure Dallas would want to work with another rookie post. Especially as a starter.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/16 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Now because of the way this season played out this might seem crazy but

Sims for Bone

It might be one of those trades that could work wonders for both teams and both players. Bone is a lot better than she showed this season and becoming a starter in Dallas could fix all that was wrong with her this season and could be a big improvement for Dallas. If it doesn't pan out Paris is still there to split the minutes. (And with this trade both Christmas and Powers get to start, unless you move Philips up to start at PG).

Diggins, Christmas, Powers, GloJo, Bone
bench Philips, Hooper, Pierson, Plaisance, Paris
draft a big guard who plays defense Scaife, Walker-Kimbrough or trade the pick for someone like TRP or S. Johnson with additional filler if need be

PX needs some young guard talent, and they get a fully formed one rather than a project, and she's already got chemistry with Griner. And with the vets in PX I doubt Sims will be playing me ball, I mean seriously how do you guard?

Sims, Taurasi, Bonner, Dupree, Griner

OK with the speed a PX fan agreed maybe Dallas should see if PX will also include it first round pick.

Sims for Bone and PX's first round pick #5 in a weak draft does that seem more balanced

Yes, because it's vital that DAL have 4 first round picks in this draft. Maybe they can turn around and trade all those picks to Miller for something good like Little. Surprised Miller would be in heaven having 4 first round picks (just like in 2016).

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/19/16 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's hard to judge Dallas given the complete collapse. Fire Fred first, and see if a new voice and a healthy roster can take a step forward.

I don't think the home girl aspect means anything ...

I'll repeat a question that apparently no one on the board can answer: What was the experience like in the smaller arena? Is Dallas going to be a viable WNBA franchise?

PostPosted: 09/19/16 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Instead of making big changes to the roster,dallas would be better off developing the talent that they already have.People keep talking about bringing in new players but as long as you have the same coaches and lack of development/accountability,the results will be the same.The biggest problem with Dallas is the coaching,GM and training/player development staff.Talent is not the issue.The wings won 18 games last season and made the playoffs despite Diggins missing 25 games and without Johnson playing a single game.Dallas has one of the weakest player development staffs in the league.

You can clearly see why some teams do a better job than others at developing young talent.

Player Development/performance coaches by team:

Seattle-5
Indiana-3
Dallas-2
Minneota-2
Washington-2
Chicago sky-2
New york:-2
San Antonio:-2
Phoenix:-2
Atlanta:-2
Los Angeles:-2
Connecticut:-1

Seattle:
Sports Performance Coach
Sports Performance Coach
Sports Performance Consultant
Athletic Trainer
Team Nutritionist

Indiana:
Player Development Coach
Strength & Conditioning Coach

Dallas:
Athletic Trainer
Strength and Conditioning Coach

Minnesota:
Athletic Trainer
Assistant Trainer

Washington:
Head Athletic Trainer
Athletic Trainer

Cicago sky:
Head Video Coordinator / Player Development Assistant

New york:
Director of Player Development and Liberty Basketball Academy
Head Athletic Trainer

San Antonio:
Head Athletic Trainer Tonya Holley
Strength & Conditioning Chrissy Stragisher

Phoenix:
Strength-and-Conditioning Coach
Athletic Trainer

Atlanta:
Assistant Coach/Player Development
Head Athletic Trainer

Los Angeles:
Athletic Trainer
Strength and Conditioning Coach

Connecticut:
Athletic Trainer

BTW:

Connecticut does not have a Strength & Conditioning Coach.
Chicago Head Video Coordinator is also the Player Development Assistant.
Atlanta's asst coach is also the Player Development coach.

Last edited by zune69 on 09/19/16 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/19/16 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Now because of the way this season played out this might seem crazy but

Sims for Bone

It might be one of those trades that could work wonders for both teams and both players. Bone is a lot better than she showed this season and becoming a starter in Dallas could fix all that was wrong with her this season and could be a big improvement for Dallas. If it doesn't pan out Paris is still there to split the minutes. (And with this trade both Christmas and Powers get to start, unless you move Philips up to start at PG).

Diggins, Christmas, Powers, GloJo, Bone
bench Philips, Hooper, Pierson, Plaisance, Paris
draft a big guard who plays defense Scaife, Walker-Kimbrough or trade the pick for someone like TRP or S. Johnson with additional filler if need be

PX needs some young guard talent, and they get a fully formed one rather than a project, and she's already got chemistry with Griner. And with the vets in PX I doubt Sims will be playing me ball, I mean seriously how do you guard?

Sims, Taurasi, Bonner, Dupree, Griner

OK with the speed a PX fan agreed maybe Dallas should see if PX will also include it first round pick.

Sims for Bone and PX's first round pick #5 in a weak draft does that seem more balanced

Yes, because it's vital that DAL have 4 first round picks in this draft. Maybe they can turn around and trade all those picks to Miller for something good like Little. Surprised Miller would be in heaven having 4 first round picks (just like in 2016).

I keep forgetting Dallas has LA and NY's pick, but pick ten and eleven in a supposedly week draft might not make the team anyway, I was just trying to up the ante since Sims for Bone straight up seemed a little lopsided. I might do it anyway if I was Dallas.

Is Bone as bad as she was this season or as good as she was last season and the season before?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/19/16 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Is Bone as bad as she was this season or as good as she was last season and the season before?

It was really just last season that she excited anyone. The year before was Chiney's. She might be a bit of a Shareef Abdur-Rahim - capable of putting up big numbers and looking good on crappy teams, but never that much use on contending squads.

PostPosted: 09/19/16 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas needs a new coach and then they need to fix their defense. They already have the offensive firepower. Now they need to learn how to stay infront of someone on D yes im looking at you Diggins and Sims.
Also i dont think Paris as your starting center is going to do the trick when you need to fix your defense. It all starts with her in the pick&roll.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/16 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It actually sounds like Phillips wants to stick around

Usually she's like..... okay, who's next?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/19/16 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not really a surprise considering her home is on the outskirts of Dallas and she asked to be traded to the Wings.

Hopefully she's physically ok to play next season. She has dealt with quite a number of injuries in recent years and a mini-season of Australian Rules Football early next year will stress her body in different ways to basketball. It's a very physical sport.

PostPosted: 09/20/16 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How bout this

Parker for Delle Donne
Cambage for lottery pick (via Connecticut)

Sparks Depth Chart
1: Toliver / Gray
2: Beard / Williams / Dabovic
3: Delle Donne / Carson
4: Ogwumike / Tolo / Gruda
5: Lavender / Cambage

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/20/16 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
How bout this

Parker for Delle Donne

Sparks Depth Chart

Crystal Blue Persuasion?

PostPosted: 09/20/16 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
How bout this

Parker for Delle Donne

Sparks Depth Chart

If Cambage were to return to the WNBA, Dallas would be crazy to trade her for a lottery pick in the next draft, even for #1.

Trust me, Lavender wouldn't be starting for long if at all.

Grandma Parker might be nearing the end the way she's been moving. You think CHI would go for that trade?

kool-aide

PostPosted: 09/21/16 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sims had offseason microfracture surgery. I've wondered all season if she didn't come back too quickly from that -- definitely played worse at the start of the season.

That said, even later in the season she didn't do much to make her indispensable.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/21/16 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Delle Donne's the face of the Sky. I doubt they trade her, even for Parker. And then there's the age difference. Delle Donne is 27, Parker will be 31 next season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/21/16 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
She might be a bit of a Shareef Abdur-Rahim - capable of putting up big numbers and looking good on crappy teams, but never that much use on contending squads.

I call that the Steph Marbury, but given the position, SAR might be more appropriate.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/26/16 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas Wings GM sees room for improvement, reason for optimism after disappointing season

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2016/09/26/dallas-wings-gm-sees-room-improvement-reason-optimism-disappointing-season

Quote:
The season started off promisingly but was largely derailed by a series of injuries to several key players. But the team's general manager Greg Bibb did not want to make any excuses following the season.

"I think we had fairly high aspirations for what this team could achieve this year and we fell short there so it's disappointing," Bibb said. "I'm a big believer in you-are-what-your-record-says-you-are and our record was 11-23 and that is unacceptable."

Okay, so what are you going to do about it?

Quote:
Bibb emphasized defense as an area for improvement on the team after Dallas gave up a league-worst 88.2 points per game.

Can you fix that without a new coach?

Quote:
Bibb wants to see the team to pass in a free-flowing system next season instead of relying on dribble penetration like in 2015.

I think a lot of people would be in agreement with that, but can you fix that without a new coach?

Quote:
But Bibb did not want to be reactionary when evaluating the roster moving forward this offseason.

Okay about the roster, but what about other things? If nothing is done, I don't expect things to be much different next year, even with thee first round picks.

Quote:
"There is a certain element of reality tied to the health of a roster. When you look at us, we were challenged this year to get our full roster together for an extended period of time," remarked the general manager, who completed his first season as the general manager of the Wings.

I thought he just said earlier he didn't want to make excuses.

Quote:
The injuries struck two players the hardest -- former All-Stars Skylar Diggins and Glory Johnson. One thing that encourages Bibb going forward this offseason is that both players will hopefully back to full health for the 2017 season.

If memory serves me right, they both played less games in 2015, and they still went to the playoffs in 2015. So how is health an excuse for 2016?

Quote:
But Bibb is also impressed by the development of some of the other players on the Wings' roster. Wings Karima Christmas and Aerial Powers in particular stood out to him.

Well some of the pundits here think Christmas has earned a spot on the bench.

Quote:
"What showed me how much [Powers] has become a part of our team was our last two games," Bibb said. "Not having her available really showed her impact and how important she's become for us."

Or it could be the team was just going through the motions since they're eliminated from the playoffs. Another knock on the coaching.

Quote:
The Wings have 10 of their 12 players on the roster under contract for next season. Veteran forward Plenette Pierson is an unrestricted free agent while guard Tiffany Bias is a restricted free agent, meaning the Wings will have the option to match any contract she is offered when free agency begins in January.

Although Bias was a little better than I expected, she's definitely not worth wringing your hands over, especially with 3 first round picks on the horizon.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/27/16 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Dallas gets the #1 pick,making a play for Lavender or Stokes would be a smart move.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/28/16 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#3 Pick Is Official ..... No Way In Hell We Keep This Pick! Packaged Deal For Lav, Stokes , Hell Id Even Look At Imani Boyette As A easier target but Chicago probably wouldnt even consider now how shes ballin out

PostPosted: 09/28/16 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#3 pick for Kia Vaughn? Stokes isn't leaving New York & Boyette's the future center in Chicago. I doubt Lavender leaves LA.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/29/16 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
#3 Pick Is Official ..... No Way In Hell We Keep This Pick! Packaged Deal For Lav, Stokes , Hell Id Even Look At Imani Boyette As A easier target but Chicago probably wouldnt even consider now how shes ballin out

At this point, the third overall pick doesn't seem to have significant value in terms of being a surefire WNBA starter, and even less of being a difference-maker on a playoff team. Now maybe three players will emerge during the course of the season, but right now, that third pick doesn't seem to me to have much trade value.

PostPosted: 09/30/16 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with both Michelle and Zune. Dallas doesn't need to make a bunch of personnel changes, they have more than enough talent to be successful. They need to improve on what they have and I think the only way to start doing that is by starting fresh with a whole new coaching staff, preferably one that cares about defense.
Once they get that figured out, they then need to get rid of Paris and Hooper. Paris' only positive is that she is one helluva rebounder when given a ton of minutes, other than that she is incredibly detrimental to the team, offensively and defensively. Hooper, well her skills surely don't match her name. The girl can barely dribble the ball and that is beyond embarrassing to see a "Pro" level athlete who can't handle a very basic fundamental element of their sport. Now, for Paris, they might be able to upsell her because some sap will see her rebounding stats and gloss over the fact that she sucks at everything else. But, if that doesn't happen, I would be perfectly fine if they cut her. And for hooper, hell I'd pay a team to get her off of mine.

Now, say we get rid of Paris, I don't want some other teams sloppy second center, so I say give plaisance the minutes. To me, she has a TON of potential, she's 6'7, mobile, can shoot outside shots, and has the potential to be a definsive monster because of her mobility and size. Dallas just never gives its post, or any of its bench for that matter, a chance. I think if Plaisance was given some consistent minutes, she would show her worth sooner, rather than later.

So, we've tackled 2 issues so far, coaching/defense and the center situation. Let's move on to one that I think we all have a very similar opinion about: Diggins and Sims.

As much as I wanted it to work, and I REALLY wanted it to, the tandem of Diggins and Sims has got to come to an end. This is where our opinion may begin to differ, though. I think Skylar is the better player. She's the better point guard and the better scorer. So, in my perfect world, Dallas would trade Sims to San Antonio for none other than Skylars old running mate, Kayla McBride. If Kayla heals completely from her broken foot, man would this be a great deal for Dallas! They get an increase in size due to the fact that Kayla is about 6', they don't lose any scoring ability, but more importantly, there won't be any confusion of roles bcause McBride is not a combo guard, she is a SG. If you watched them play at ND like I did, then you know that they play damn well together too. If San Antonio doesn't want to give McBride up that easily, throw the draft picks at them as well, this year's draft if terrible and we don't need ANY of the picks.

With all of that being said, here is the 2017 Dallas Wings that I think would be a very tough contender:

PG: Diggins/Bias
SG: McBride/Phillips
SF: Powers/Christmas
PF: Johnson/Pierson
C: Plaisance/draft/Hamblin

This lineup has crazy athleticism and an overwhelming amount of scoring power. If the team gets a defensive minded coach, they will be an absolute nightmare offensively and defensively.

SIDENOTE:
I hate not starting Christmas, but Aerial has the potential to be a consistent All-Star/All-WNBA caliber player. She has an incredibly bright future if she stays healthy.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/30/16 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would SAS ever trade McBride for Sims? Trying to figure that one out. They already have three small guards. Don't think they need another one.

- Amanda Gorman
naesan

PostPosted: 09/30/16 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just honestly think that dallas needs more size inside. They dont need anymore guards. Paris has to go. I am over the sims/diggins duo. Its not working, nor do I think it will.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/16 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Why would SAS ever trade McBride for Sims? Trying to figure that one out. They already have three small guards. Don't think they need another one.

Even if they add Mitchell?

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 10/01/16 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Even if they add Mitchell?

Mitchell is redudant to what's already there. They need scoring, but not from the starting backcourt spots. Mitchell can't play SF. McBride is not a 3, and why would SA want to play that small 1-3? I agree with Myrtle, why would SA ever trade McBride?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 2 of 36

Jump to: