RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

San Antonio Stars 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17697



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/16 3:35 pm    ::: San Antonio Stars 2017 Reply Reply with quote

A lot of youth on this team, plus the likely #1 overall pick. The big question is do they keep Robinson or trade her for a center? Robinson for Lavender?

PG: Jefferson/Colson
SG: McBride/#1 draft pick
SF: Currie/Peters/Montgomery
PF: Ndour/Hamby/Baugh
C: traded center/Alexander



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4726



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/19/16 3:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm in the camp that SA could trade either D-Rob or the #1 pick. Jefferson and D-Rob seem similar and Jefferson is clearly the future, and since SA might not be going anywhere next season why not get your new star PG as many minutes as possible. IF SA wants to take a bigger leap forward trading the #1 (or high lottery pick if the balls don't fall there way) for a more established player seems very possible as well. Or even trying to combine both assets for a star player. I do think a new GM will want to make a bold move if the opportunity presents itself.

With that said, if nothing works out bringing back a healthy D-Rob and a new #1 (hopefully) draft pick will still move the needle forward on the Stars talent level. Who knows? maybe someone in this draft class takes a huge leap forward, or another star player declares early for the draft.

So things are looking up for SA, and they have some assets to make the off season discussion interesting. My big question would be what star or up and coming players would be available in a trade for SA assets?

My short list of ideas that have come up in other threads

I'm seeing the #1 pick in these equations as Deshields but it could be someone else too

#1 for Dolson and #4
#1 for A. Thomas and C. Little
#1 for C. Gray and #2 or #3 (which ever one lands in LA)
#1 for Achonwa and #8
#1 for Bonner and Bone
I realize people will think some if not most of these are nuts but usually you have to pay a decent price to get a #1 pick even in a weak draft and Deshields or someone else could declare early or turn into an obvious star over the next college season

D-Rob for Sims
D-Rob and #13 for Bone and #5
D-Rob for #4 or
D-Rob for Vaughn
D-Rob and #13 for S. Rodgers (doesn't mean I like it thinking from SA's POV here)


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 15411
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/19/16 5:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A healthy D Rob for Langhorne and the Storms draft pick



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
TotalCardinalMove



Joined: 13 Oct 2013
Posts: 1109



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/19/16 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say trading with Indiana or Washington makes most sense. I would give up the #1 pick for Achonwa and #8. You could also trade DRob somewhere too, which would give you another chance to add someone that's young but more established.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49476



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/19/16 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can tell it's a weak #1 if talk of trading that #1 is like it's going to be a given. Trading the #1 isn't unthinkable this year. The last time a #1 was traded was in 2007 when the Lynx were desperate for a big name PG.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/19/16 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
You can tell it's a weak #1 if talk of trading that #1 is like it's going to be a given. Trading the #1 isn't unthinkable this year. The last time a #1 was traded was in 2007 when the Lynx were desperate for a big name PG.


I presume you mean a #1 that was known to be a #1 overall at the time of the trade? There's a certain 2010 set of trades that comes to mind otherwise.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Angus24



Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 672
Location: South Dakota


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/16 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2017 is probably another rebuilding year for SAS but if DRob and McBride both come back at the top of their games SAS may be very good. The other big question mark in my mind is who will the new coach be? If its an outsider that probably means a new system which will take a while to become productive. SAS desperately needs a replacement for Young that can put up some big numbers and rebound. I could see SAS trading their #1 pick in the draft with one of their less important players to get a top notch PF.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49476



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/16 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
2017 is probably another rebuilding year for SAS but if DRob and McBride both come back at the top of their games SAS may be very good. The other big question mark in my mind is who will the new coach be? If its an outsider that probably means a new system which will take a while to become productive. SAS desperately needs a replacement for Young that can put up some big numbers and rebound. I could see SAS trading their #1 pick in the draft with one of their less important players to get a top notch PF.


If you want a truly decent PF, I'm guessing you'd have a give up your first rounder in 2018 as just part of the deal. If that's the case, you might as well sit tight, because #1 in 2018 is like plantinum, #2 is gold, and #3 is still silver. Maybe not quite as good as Three to See, but getting up there, and if nobody declares for 2017, it should be deep too.

But maybe you could lure NYL into some kind of trade since some of their fans seem to think they need DRob to take the next step.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6855



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/28/16 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*duplicate*




Last edited by tfan on 10/28/16 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6855



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/28/16 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They ran some commercial that had a lot of athletes in it during the World Series. Probably Nike. I think it was all male athletes except for Moriah Jefferson.


Jet Jaguar



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Posts: 1111



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/29/16 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
They ran some commercial that had a lot of athletes in it during the World Series. Probably Nike. I think it was all male athletes except for Moriah Jefferson.

Jefferson is with Adidas. So I'm guessing it's them.



_________________
Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6855



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/29/16 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
tfan wrote:
They ran some commercial that had a lot of athletes in it during the World Series. Probably Nike. I think it was all male athletes except for Moriah Jefferson.

Jefferson is with Adidas. So I'm guessing it's them.



you're right

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ejDpAOyFnoE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 18839



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/29/16 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan with the Morgan Yaeger avatar Smile I was not expecting to see that here.
[/OT]



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6855



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/29/16 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
tfan with the Morgan Yaeger avatar Smile I was not expecting to see that here.
[/OT]


Womens Basketball Daily had a link to an article on the top 5 (of over 20) Australian freshman making their NCAA debuts this season.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 11244
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart), whilst on my way to Oregon!


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/29/16 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I'm in the camp that SA could trade either D-Rob or the #1 pick. Jefferson and D-Rob seem similar and Jefferson is clearly the future

BITEYOURTONGUE!~ Razz

No trading D-Rob!! Yeah, I know....MoJeff and D-Rob are maybe too similar, but I'd love to see them play TOGETHER. For at least a season. Nobody has a backcourt with that level of jets going. Laughing

Of course, SOMEbody might have to be The Bargaining Chip for offseason trades (I'm still half torqued they let Jia go), and everybody knows SA is desperate for some kind of star post power, but I still think Roadrunner #1 and Roadrunner #2 would be high entertainment value. Cool

PS--does anybody know, is D-Rob fully recovered and back to playing now?



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners! Oregon: Go Ducks!
Angus24



Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 672
Location: South Dakota


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/30/16 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was watching a tape the other day of a game from a couple years ago and watching DRob as SAS PG it was clear to me that she has skills that MoJeff doesn't have and she is bigger and stronger and better defender. She doesn't have the 3 point shot but is very good from mid-range. I think they could function together very nicely with MoJeff as the shooting guard. I really can't see any team giving up a top notch PF unless they have 2 of them and I don't know of any team that does. That said, I would think SAS better take the best post player available in the draft.


lynxmania



Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 8371
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/20/16 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ruth Riley talked during the halftime of the Washington/Notre Dame game and stated that Kayla was progressing along well with her rehab and that they have no time table for hiring a head coach.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49476



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/20/16 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
they have no time table for hiring a head coach.


Oh, that's brilliant. I hope the timetable would have the coach installed before the start of the 2017 off-season in January.

Might she want to do the job herself?

Vickie Johnson must not be the obvious choice.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57586
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/16 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stars GM Ruth Riley: A Global Hire Raised on an Indiana Farm

https://therivardreport.com/stars-gm-ruth-riley-a-global-hire-raised-on-an-indiana-farm/

Quote:
In graduate school at Notre Dame, Ruth wasn’t thinking about returning to the WNBA, where she had won two championships, twice been named Finals MVP, earned an All-Star berth, and served as vice president of the league player’s union. No, Ruth was thinking of how she could change the world.

“I was looking,” she said, “at global humanitarian work.”



_________________
Make lots of noise
Kiss lots of boys
Or kiss lots of girls
If that's something you're into
When the straight and narrow
Gets a little too straight
Roll up a joint, or don't
Just follow your arrow
Wherever it points, yeah
Follow your arrow
Wherever it points
UofDel_Alum



Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 3979
Location: Delaware


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/16 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stars GM Ruth Riley: A Global Hire Raised on an Indiana Farm

https://therivardreport.com/stars-gm-ruth-riley-a-global-hire-raised-on-an-indiana-farm/

Quote:
In graduate school at Notre Dame, Ruth wasn’t thinking about returning to the WNBA, where she had won two championships, twice been named Finals MVP, earned an All-Star berth, and served as vice president of the league player’s union. No, Ruth was thinking of how she could change the world.

“I was looking,” she said, “at global humanitarian work.”


A very nice story on Ruth Riley and one not just women should listen too but everyone should read about her.


Angus24



Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 672
Location: South Dakota


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/16 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If McBride and DRob return at full strength I hope Alexander, Hamby, and Peters step up their games this season If that happens and SAS gets a good post in the draft I think they will be a lot better than people on this board think. I would bet that SAS will not trade DRob.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49476



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/16 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
If McBride and DRob return at full strength I hope Alexander, Hamby, and Peters step up their games this season If that happens and SAS gets a good post in the draft I think they will be a lot better than people on this board think. I would bet that SAS will not trade DRob.


Any chance DRob demands out? She'd have to be cored if she's not under contract. No longer a starter after 6 years, or are they going to start both DRob and Jefferson?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Angus24



Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 672
Location: South Dakota


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/16 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazing story about Ruth. I bet she will bring SAS a championship before she may move on to even bigger things.


stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6547
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/16 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When is Hamby's due date...not sure if much can be expected of her next summer...?



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57586
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/16 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
When is Hamby's due date...not sure if much can be expected of her next summer...?


She's due in six weeks



_________________
Make lots of noise
Kiss lots of boys
Or kiss lots of girls
If that's something you're into
When the straight and narrow
Gets a little too straight
Roll up a joint, or don't
Just follow your arrow
Wherever it points, yeah
Follow your arrow
Wherever it points
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin