RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 World University Games -- Terps for USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripleydc

PostPosted: 09/08/16 9:32 am    ::: 2017 World University Games -- Terps for USA Reply Reply with quote

Maryland will represent the USA in the 2017 World University games to be held in Taiwan next August.

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=211160622

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 09/08/16 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is really odd that they are doing it this way. In the past it was always a pool of some of the better players from college that were chosen. I wonder if there is a reason they are sending an entire college team this time instead of like a college All-Star team like usual?

PostPosted: 09/08/16 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
This is really odd that they are doing it this way. In the past it was always a pool of some of the better players from college that were chosen. I wonder if there is a reason they are sending an entire college team this time instead of like a college All-Star team like usual?

The article says the UNC Charlotte women's team played in this event in 2007. For men's basketball they have had Northern Iowa, Kansas, and now Purdue in 2017 will play. They could just be experimenting to see how this goes, because with all star teams sometimes you wonder if the talent is weighed down by the lack of chemistry by having kids and coaches who have never played together because for these events you don't get much practice time.

My hunch tells me this is not the easiest event to draw teams for, as only 2 of the 5 college teams that have played could be considereed top tier (Kansas men and Maryland women). It takes place in late August when many teams are in school so that decreases options heavily. If you have any foreign players this may be less attractive than your typical foreign tour because the non U.S. citizens can't play for the college team representing the U.S.A. Also now colleges get more practice time in the offseason so the whole idea of going overseas and getting to practice is nullified, plus it is questionable whether playing international rules, with an international ball is really worth it this close to the season, and late August is a prime time for schools to host recruits on unofficial visits and you lose out on some of that. For all of these reasons it doesn't surprise me that you don't necessarily find the top teams always wanting to play in this, so good for them that they picked up a very good Maryland team although they will be losing their two All American caliber players, so its debatable how good they are in 2017-2018, but like I said with school in session for most teams by late August, the selection committee probably doesn't have their pick of whoever they want.

Phil

PostPosted: 09/08/16 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It hasn't always been a pool of the best players.

As Durantula noted that wasn't the case in 2007 and 2003.

2007 it was UNC Charlotte who came in sixth, and in 2003 it was a big 12 All-Star team, the only time the US as ever had a losing record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Women%27s_World_University_Games_Team

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/08/16 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For some reason, the US doesn't seem to take the World University Games very seriously. And that's not only in basketball.

awhom111

PostPosted: 09/08/16 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:

I can't understand why they would do it this way this particular time either. There could be political stuff going on between USA Basketball and the organization that is in charge of the US delegation to the event, which as ArtBest23 says, is not that great. Actually, sending one school is the most common format for the United States in the team sports, but unlike the men's all-star teams, which struggled, our all-star women's teams have done well recently.

I hold out hope that maybe USA Basketball might send collegiate all-stars to the FIBA Americas tournament instead, but that seems unlikely. It actually makes sense in Pan-American years to focus on one competition, but that is not the case next summer. It seems to be a silly idea to throw away a reasonable development opportunity assuming USA Basketball had any say in the matter.

Without really knowing what Maryland's roster composition will be by then, I wonder if Brenda will borrow players from other teams like Bill Self did last summer. Would Walz lend her any players?

ripleydc

PostPosted: 09/09/16 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Without really knowing what Maryland's roster composition will be by then, I wonder if Brenda will borrow players from other teams like Bill Self did last summer. Would Walz lend her any players?

That's not happening. There will be no "borrowed" players going to Taiwan.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/09/16 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't help wondering if there was some payola going on.

PostPosted: 09/09/16 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I checked with USA basketball. While I had known that Basketball Travelers was involved in the 2015 WUG, I had been under the impression they were acting as a subcontractor to USA basketball but I learned today that Basketball Travelers is now running the US delegation to the World University Games.

Phil

PostPosted: 09/12/16 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Briona Jones and Shatori Walker-Kimbrough will be eligible to play per WUG rules;
http://www.wugusa.com/summer-games/eligibility-for-event/

Both may be in the WNBA, which may impact their availability, and of course, Frese has the option of determining whether the two should be on the squad. I note it says incoming freshman are usually eligible, but it also requires a 3 credit course, so maybe they have to take a summer school class before the trip.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/12/16 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The likelihood of Jones or Kimbrough leaving their WNBA team to go play in a college level international tournament that no one in the US cares two cents about is less than zero.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 09/13/16 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

Um, no. Shocked

awhom111

PostPosted: 09/13/16 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Um, no. Shocked

I was choosing between that and making up a fake dialogue of a phone conversation of Brenda calling Joanne in an attempt to borrow Lexie Brown. I concede to not being funny enough to make it sound as good as it does in my head.

SocksTerp

PostPosted: 09/25/16 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I can't help wondering if there was some payola going on.

No

awhom111

PostPosted: 05/30/17 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suppose we should keep using this thread.

Australia has named their team, which is a solid mix of NCAA players and pros who play in Australia:
http://basketball.net.au/2017-womens-world-university-games-team-announced/

They should be the overwhelming favorites unless they choke it away like two years ago.

So will Maryland get players from other schools to get to 12 or will they use walkons or leave spots unused? Assuming someone like Tierney Pfirman is willing, would they bring her along?
xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 07/04/17 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

Australia has named their team, which is a solid mix of NCAA players and pros who play in Australia:

They should be the overwhelming favorites unless they choke it away like two years ago.

So will Maryland get players from other schools to get to 12 or will they use walkons or leave spots unused? Assuming someone like Tierney Pfirman is willing, would they bring her along?

Malina Howard will be playing for The Terps/USA team. She's still enrolled at UMD and that makes her eligible.

PostPosted: 07/11/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

xwomynjoc wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Quote:
So will Maryland get players from other schools to get to 12
or will they use walkons or leave spots unused? Assuming someone like Tierney Pfirman is willing, would they bring her along?

Malina Howard will be playing for The Terps/USA team. She's still enrolled at UMD and that makes her eligible.

To answer your question about players from other schools, here's the latest update: Tori Jankoska from Michigan St.
https://www.swishappeal.com/2017/7/11/15951000/maryland-world-university-games-team-usa-ncaaw

PostPosted: 08/17/17 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland loses an exhibition to Taiwan 83-73. They also have an exhibition against Australia before the tournament.
LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 08/18/17 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chinese-Taipei was a curious looking team to say the least. I wonder what's going on in the lab...

Terps topped Australia in the wee hours this morning...78-72 if my memory is correct.

Australia has a lot of size and is a good looking team. Wouldn't shock me if they win the tourney.

xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 08/21/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA overwhelms Uganda in first official game 121-34. Eight USA players scored in double figures lead by Blair Watson w/ 21 and Tori Jankoska w/ 16. Stephanie Jones had a double/double with 16 pts and 10 rebounds. 34 assists and 61 rebounds.
Complete stats:
http://www.umterps.com/pdf9/5453833.pdf

PostPosted: 08/25/17 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
Chinese-Taipei was a curious looking team to say the least. I wonder what's going on in the lab...

Terps topped Australia in the wee hours this morning...78-72 if my memory is correct.

Australia has a lot of size and is a good looking team. Wouldn't shock me if they win the tourney

Aussies come up big and beat the USA/Maryland 76-69 in the Quarters and move on to the Semi's

https://pickandroll.com.au/emerging-opals-stun-usa-book-semifinal-berth/

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/25/17 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:

Australia has a lot of size and is a good looking team. Wouldn't shock me if they win the tourney

Aussies come up big and beat the USA/Maryland 76-69 in the Quarters and move on to the Semi's

https://pickandroll.com.au/emerging-opals-stun-usa-book-semifinal-berth/

What "stun"? Australia was favored by just about anyone I talked to.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/25/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to the MD Scout site, Maryland shot 37% and was outrebounded 54-32. Small was 1/10, Jankoska 5/19, Watson 0/4.

The Terps had Malina Howard playing in Taipei. They will actually be shorter this season than they were in the WUG. That rebounding shortfall is probably reason for concern.

Instead of treating this like a team tour to Italy, maybe Brenda should have invited someone like Mercedes Russell to play with them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: