RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Gold: USA vs Spain - 8/20/16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
boogiezen



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 932



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope GENO will be the coach for Team USA again! Laughing Laughing



_________________
GO BIRDY! GO STORM! Queen Yu Na!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44369



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:

Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


I'm willing to bet Geno goes by his own personal experiences rather than others' perceptions.

The writing was on the wall early on. The head of the selection committee stated they were looking for mature players who don't complain about their minutes. Hmmm.... I wonder what princess might have complained in 2012, and I wonder if that stuck with the same head coach in 2016? I wonder.

You should probably just review the Team USA thread starting around April when your same tired arguments were being brought up by other posters at a more relevant time. This right now is all just repetitive rehash. The Olympics are over. The basketball team was wildly successful, although many don't appreciate that. Time to find something else to complain about.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


I'm willing to bet Geno goes by his own personal experiences rather than others' perceptions.

The writing was on the wall early on. The head of the selection committee stated they were looking for mature players who don't complain about their minutes. Hmmm.... I wonder what princess might have complained in 2012, and I wonder if that stuck with the same head coach in 2016? I wonder.

You should probably just review the Team USA thread starting around April when your same tired arguments were being brought up by other posters at a more relevant time. This right now is all just repetitive rehash. The Olympics are over. The basketball team was wildly successful, although many don't appreciate that. Time to find something else to complain about.


What proof do you have that she complained about minutes? You don't. It was YOUR tired, false, slanderous arguments that have been brought up since April in attempt to drag her through the mud and make Geno not look like an asshole.


boogiezen



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 932



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


I'm willing to bet Geno goes by his own personal experiences rather than others' perceptions.

The writing was on the wall early on. The head of the selection committee stated they were looking for mature players who don't complain about their minutes. Hmmm.... I wonder what princess might have complained in 2012, and I wonder if that stuck with the same head coach in 2016? I wonder.

You should probably just review the Team USA thread starting around April when your same tired arguments were being brought up by other posters at a more relevant time. This right now is all just repetitive rehash. The Olympics are over. The basketball team was wildly successful, although many don't appreciate that. Time to find something else to complain about.


What proof do you have that she complained about minutes? You don't. It was YOUR tired, false, slanderous arguments that have been brought up since April in attempt to drag her through the mud and make Geno not look like an asshole.


MOVE ON. Team USA won without your beloved Parker!!! They don't need her. Razz



_________________
GO BIRDY! GO STORM! Queen Yu Na!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


I'm willing to bet Geno goes by his own personal experiences rather than others' perceptions.

The writing was on the wall early on. The head of the selection committee stated they were looking for mature players who don't complain about their minutes. Hmmm.... I wonder what princess might have complained in 2012, and I wonder if that stuck with the same head coach in 2016? I wonder.

You should probably just review the Team USA thread starting around April when your same tired arguments were being brought up by other posters at a more relevant time. This right now is all just repetitive rehash. The Olympics are over. The basketball team was wildly successful, although many don't appreciate that. Time to find something else to complain about.


What proof do you have that she complained about minutes? You don't. It was YOUR tired, false, slanderous arguments that have been brought up since April in attempt to drag her through the mud and make Geno not look like an asshole.


MOVE ON. Team USA won without your beloved Parker!!! They don't need her. Razz


They would win gold without any individual player, and probably without all of them. So they don't need anyone. They won without Geno in 1996, 2000, 2004, and 2008. They don't need him either.


Libra_Girl



Joined: 12 Jul 2013
Posts: 980



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
caune wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
caune wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
caune wrote:
Lord in heaven people, we are all Americans, can we put the shut aside and cheer for ALL our players 😕


WHERES PARKER THO
She's home nursing her attitude, you know, the reason she didn't make the team?


Geno kept her off the team out of spite. People who say her attitude is the reason she didn't make the team are so full of shit it's ridiculous, and clearly know nothing about her. If attitude was the reason then half the damn team wouldn't be there. Candace has never been suspended by her team for violating team rules. Never had a DUI. Never punched a player in the face. Never been arrested for domestic violence. Never led the league in technicals. Never refused to play for her team and forced a trade. So tell me, what makes her so much more evil than everyone else?


Did I say it was a bad attitude? There are all sorts of traits that need to be balanced on a team. Geno had a choice between Catch and Parker. Who's going to happily hold down the end of the bench? Catch get's the vote.
You all should be very happy she was left off the team, it's made a huge difference in her game this season. Might even lead her to a Championship :O
Why did the choice have to be between Catch and Cp? She could have replace anybody else that was playing any of the post position.One of the best women player should be happy holding the end of the bench.I thought you start by picking one of best available talent in the pool first when making a team not waiting to save them a spot on the bench.I don't think Geno would have DT Bird Maya(I agree they are starters because they are the best at their position)coming off the bench but its ok for him to ask Cp to do that? Wheather we agree with it or not sometimes players get starter spots just by having more talent then the rest. You think Kobe Jordan Lebron would be happy not being starters on Team USA? Even Catch said it was hard not getting good mins in Rio. I'm sorry but it didn't seem right that Sue Bird playing on bum knee got more mins than Catch in the last gold medal game Tamika deserves more that 6 mins in her final game as a team USA member especially considering that Geno even had Moore playing in the final mins in blowout games too. That nothing more that disrespect to vet who given her all to that team.All this talk about Cp's attitude but Geno is being a asshole. You are giving team USA to much credit for Cp season she was playing good after the AllStar break last season plus those other MVP season she had too. Sparks being a talent team has nothing to do with Cp snub too. Nneka having a MVP season AB and Carson playing good defense, KT and Parker playing good will have more to do with LA maybe winning a title then USA leaving their star player off team USA.


Catchings played in the Semi. Even in those few minutes she was HORRENDOUS. She couldn't even shoot!

Team USA doesn't even need her. You could put a younger player in her position but Team USA still managed to include her because she's been in the program for many years.

And why Bird getting the hate here who is solidly orchestrating the team in the half court? As you see they struggled after Whalen in the semis while they tried to put DT is the PG position. And Catchings couldn't even shoot! Rolling Eyes

FACT? These Tennessee losers are sour graping because no matter what USA won GOLD without their beloved Parker on the team. I bet they wished that there will be an upset in the Olympics. Laughing
Im not a Lady Vol fan never been I'm just not here for Geno playing favorite. US could have won gold with the select team so they didn't really need anybody including coach Geno. Team US won gold with Ann Donavan so they didn't need Geno too. I glad Parker didn't have to deal with Geno BS. Funny how they needed Parker to beat France in the last gold medal game though.Lavender was playing good in the world championship and still got cut. Same thing with Nneka but Dupree got the starting spot.




Last edited by Libra_Girl on 08/23/16 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14467
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
For the sake of argument, let's concede that Geno picks the team. (Makes sense, he's responsible if he loses.)

He chooses a couple UConn players over a couple of non-UConn players, most notably Breanna Stewart over Candace Parker.

There's little justification for leaving CP3 off the team, though there is a case to be made for Stewart being on it. On purely a performance level, CP3 should have replaced Catchings; in terms of fewest minutes, after Catchings and Stewart, Fowles (114 minutes) and EDD (119 minutes) would be the choices.

Presumably, though, it has to be a UConn player who gets cut for Parker to satisfy the anti-Geno haters. That would be who, exactly?

*Bird had 31 assists and 4 turnovers.
*Charles shot 55%, had 25 assists to 10 turnovers and got a rebound every 4.1 minutes.
*Maya Moore shot 52%, had 34 assists and 13 turnovers, 16 steals and got a rebound every 4.4 minutes.
*Taurasi shot 56% overall, 57% from three and had 26 assists to 16 turnovers.

So really, we're talking Parker for Stewart, and her 87 minutes in eight games. And that's enough to generate the hate?

Yes, Geno's arrogant and annoying, especially to his rivals, but it's hard to argue that he's not qualified for the job.

One would think that it would be possible to set aside this petty -- and I do mean petty -- Geno-is-the-devil attitude and support Team USA, but apparently not.

A shame ... you missed greatness ...


No it doesn't. I personally would not have chosen Charles, Fowles, McCoughtry, and Augustus for the team.


Who would you have chosen instead of those players?


Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


You do know that Charles is the leading candidate for MVP right now and is way way better then Dupree Laughing Fowles is debatable. Normally you dont need Griner and Fowles when you have so many other good posts out there and Charles also being able to play that position. But remember Griner is having a pretty bad wnba season so far so betting on her as starting center was a risk.

I wouldnt have mind Loyd for Augustus to bring some youth



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
boogiezen



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 932



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
caune wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
caune wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
caune wrote:
Lord in heaven people, we are all Americans, can we put the shut aside and cheer for ALL our players 😕


WHERES PARKER THO
She's home nursing her attitude, you know, the reason she didn't make the team?


Geno kept her off the team out of spite. People who say her attitude is the reason she didn't make the team are so full of shit it's ridiculous, and clearly know nothing about her. If attitude was the reason then half the damn team wouldn't be there. Candace has never been suspended by her team for violating team rules. Never had a DUI. Never punched a player in the face. Never been arrested for domestic violence. Never led the league in technicals. Never refused to play for her team and forced a trade. So tell me, what makes her so much more evil than everyone else?


Did I say it was a bad attitude? There are all sorts of traits that need to be balanced on a team. Geno had a choice between Catch and Parker. Who's going to happily hold down the end of the bench? Catch get's the vote.
You all should be very happy she was left off the team, it's made a huge difference in her game this season. Might even lead her to a Championship :O
Why did the choice have to be between Catch and Cp? She could have replace anybody else that was playing any of the post position.One of the best women player should be happy holding the end of the bench.I thought you start by picking one of best available talent in the pool first when making a team not waiting to save them a spot on the bench.I don't think Geno would have DT Bird Maya(I agree they are starters because they are the best at their position)coming off the bench but its ok for him to ask Cp to do that? Wheather we agree with it or not sometimes players get starter spots just by having more talent then the rest. You think Kobe Jordan Lebron would be happy not being starters on Team USA? Even Catch said it was hard not getting good mins in Rio. I'm sorry but it didn't seem right that Sue Bird playing on bum knee got more mins than Catch in the last gold medal game Tamika deserves more that 6 mins in her final game as a team USA member especially considering that Geno even had Moore playing in the final mins in blowout games too. That nothing more that disrespect to vet who given her all to that team.All this talk about Cp's attitude but Geno is being a asshole. You are giving team USA to much credit for Cp season she was playing good after the AllStar break last season plus those other MVP season she had too. Sparks being a talent team has nothing to do with Cp snub too. Nneka having a MVP season AB and Carson playing good defense, KT and Parker playing good will have more to do with LA maybe winning a title then USA leaving their star player off team USA.


Catchings played in the Semi. Even in those few minutes she was HORRENDOUS. She couldn't even shoot!

Team USA doesn't even need her. You could put a younger player in her position but Team USA still managed to include her because she's been in the program for many years.

And why Bird getting the hate here who is solidly orchestrating the team in the half court? As you see they struggled after Whalen in the semis while they tried to put DT is the PG position. And Catchings couldn't even shoot! Rolling Eyes

FACT? These Tennessee losers are sour graping because no matter what USA won GOLD without their beloved Parker on the team. I bet they wished that there will be an upset in the Olympics. Laughing
Im not a Lady Vol fan never been I'm just not here for Geno playing favorite. US could have won gold with the select team so they didn't really need anybody including coach Geno. Team US won gold with Ann Donavan so they didn't need Geno too. I glad Parker didn't have to deal with Geno BS. Funny how they needed Parker to beat France in the last gold medal game though.Lavender was playing good in the world championship and still got cut. Same thing with Nneka but Dupree got the starting spot.


Who cares? USA won GOLD. Parker was not selected. No one cares about her except you and some Tennessee fans who are BITTER. Razz

Geno got the job done. Cool



_________________
GO BIRDY! GO STORM! Queen Yu Na!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
boogiezen



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 932



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


I'm willing to bet Geno goes by his own personal experiences rather than others' perceptions.

The writing was on the wall early on. The head of the selection committee stated they were looking for mature players who don't complain about their minutes. Hmmm.... I wonder what princess might have complained in 2012, and I wonder if that stuck with the same head coach in 2016? I wonder.

You should probably just review the Team USA thread starting around April when your same tired arguments were being brought up by other posters at a more relevant time. This right now is all just repetitive rehash. The Olympics are over. The basketball team was wildly successful, although many don't appreciate that. Time to find something else to complain about.


What proof do you have that she complained about minutes? You don't. It was YOUR tired, false, slanderous arguments that have been brought up since April in attempt to drag her through the mud and make Geno not look like an asshole.


MOVE ON. Team USA won without your beloved Parker!!! They don't need her. Razz


They would win gold without any individual player, and probably without all of them. So they don't need anyone. They won without Geno in 1996, 2000, 2004, and 2008. They don't need him either.


But that was in the past.

Geno got the job done again.

Parker was not selected. They won GOLD.

And the way some of you are b!tching, thank god Parker was not there. Good riddance! Razz Wink



_________________
GO BIRDY! GO STORM! Queen Yu Na!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Libra_Girl



Joined: 12 Jul 2013
Posts: 980



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
caune wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
caune wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
caune wrote:
Lord in heaven people, we are all Americans, can we put the shut aside and cheer for ALL our players 😕


WHERES PARKER THO
She's home nursing her attitude, you know, the reason she didn't make the team?


Geno kept her off the team out of spite. People who say her attitude is the reason she didn't make the team are so full of shit it's ridiculous, and clearly know nothing about her. If attitude was the reason then half the damn team wouldn't be there. Candace has never been suspended by her team for violating team rules. Never had a DUI. Never punched a player in the face. Never been arrested for domestic violence. Never led the league in technicals. Never refused to play for her team and forced a trade. So tell me, what makes her so much more evil than everyone else?


Did I say it was a bad attitude? There are all sorts of traits that need to be balanced on a team. Geno had a choice between Catch and Parker. Who's going to happily hold down the end of the bench? Catch get's the vote.
You all should be very happy she was left off the team, it's made a huge difference in her game this season. Might even lead her to a Championship :O
Why did the choice have to be between Catch and Cp? She could have replace anybody else that was playing any of the post position.One of the best women player should be happy holding the end of the bench.I thought you start by picking one of best available talent in the pool first when making a team not waiting to save them a spot on the bench.I don't think Geno would have DT Bird Maya(I agree they are starters because they are the best at their position)coming off the bench but its ok for him to ask Cp to do that? Wheather we agree with it or not sometimes players get starter spots just by having more talent then the rest. You think Kobe Jordan Lebron would be happy not being starters on Team USA? Even Catch said it was hard not getting good mins in Rio. I'm sorry but it didn't seem right that Sue Bird playing on bum knee got more mins than Catch in the last gold medal game Tamika deserves more that 6 mins in her final game as a team USA member especially considering that Geno even had Moore playing in the final mins in blowout games too. That nothing more that disrespect to vet who given her all to that team.All this talk about Cp's attitude but Geno is being a asshole. You are giving team USA to much credit for Cp season she was playing good after the AllStar break last season plus those other MVP season she had too. Sparks being a talent team has nothing to do with Cp snub too. Nneka having a MVP season AB and Carson playing good defense, KT and Parker playing good will have more to do with LA maybe winning a title then USA leaving their star player off team USA.


Catchings played in the Semi. Even in those few minutes she was HORRENDOUS. She couldn't even shoot!

Team USA doesn't even need her. You could put a younger player in her position but Team USA still managed to include her because she's been in the program for many years.

And why Bird getting the hate here who is solidly orchestrating the team in the half court? As you see they struggled after Whalen in the semis while they tried to put DT is the PG position. And Catchings couldn't even shoot! Rolling Eyes

FACT? These Tennessee losers are sour graping because no matter what USA won GOLD without their beloved Parker on the team. I bet they wished that there will be an upset in the Olympics. Laughing
Im not a Lady Vol fan never been I'm just not here for Geno playing favorite. US could have won gold with the select team so they didn't really need anybody including coach Geno. Team US won gold with Ann Donavan so they didn't need Geno too. I glad Parker didn't have to deal with Geno BS. Funny how they needed Parker to beat France in the last gold medal game though.Lavender was playing good in the world championship and still got cut. Same thing with Nneka but Dupree got the starting spot.


Who cares? USA won GOLD. Parker was not selected. No one cares about her except you and some Tennessee fans who are BITTER. Razz

Geno got the job done. Cool
Why would I be bitter? As a LA Sparks fan I don't mind that she got to rest during the Olympic break.


zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
For the sake of argument, let's concede that Geno picks the team. (Makes sense, he's responsible if he loses.)

He chooses a couple UConn players over a couple of non-UConn players, most notably Breanna Stewart over Candace Parker.

There's little justification for leaving CP3 off the team, though there is a case to be made for Stewart being on it. On purely a performance level, CP3 should have replaced Catchings; in terms of fewest minutes, after Catchings and Stewart, Fowles (114 minutes) and EDD (119 minutes) would be the choices.

Presumably, though, it has to be a UConn player who gets cut for Parker to satisfy the anti-Geno haters. That would be who, exactly?

*Bird had 31 assists and 4 turnovers.
*Charles shot 55%, had 25 assists to 10 turnovers and got a rebound every 4.1 minutes.
*Maya Moore shot 52%, had 34 assists and 13 turnovers, 16 steals and got a rebound every 4.4 minutes.
*Taurasi shot 56% overall, 57% from three and had 26 assists to 16 turnovers.

So really, we're talking Parker for Stewart, and her 87 minutes in eight games. And that's enough to generate the hate?

Yes, Geno's arrogant and annoying, especially to his rivals, but it's hard to argue that he's not qualified for the job.

One would think that it would be possible to set aside this petty -- and I do mean petty -- Geno-is-the-devil attitude and support Team USA, but apparently not.

A shame ... you missed greatness ...


No it doesn't. I personally would not have chosen Charles, Fowles, McCoughtry, and Augustus for the team.


Who would you have chosen instead of those players?


Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


You do know that Charles is the leading candidate for MVP right now and is way way better then Dupree Laughing Fowles is debatable. Normally you dont need Griner and Fowles when you have so many other good posts out there and Charles also being able to play that position. But remember Griner is having a pretty bad wnba season so far so betting on her as starting center was a risk.

I wouldnt have mind Loyd for Augustus to bring some youth


She wasn't the leading candidate for MVP when the team was chosen. And Candace and Nneka would be replacing Fowles and Charles. Dupree would replace McCoughtry. Nneka is having a much better season than Charles anyway, but the politics of the WNBA won't allow her to win MVP.


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14467
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/16 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
For the sake of argument, let's concede that Geno picks the team. (Makes sense, he's responsible if he loses.)

He chooses a couple UConn players over a couple of non-UConn players, most notably Breanna Stewart over Candace Parker.

There's little justification for leaving CP3 off the team, though there is a case to be made for Stewart being on it. On purely a performance level, CP3 should have replaced Catchings; in terms of fewest minutes, after Catchings and Stewart, Fowles (114 minutes) and EDD (119 minutes) would be the choices.

Presumably, though, it has to be a UConn player who gets cut for Parker to satisfy the anti-Geno haters. That would be who, exactly?

*Bird had 31 assists and 4 turnovers.
*Charles shot 55%, had 25 assists to 10 turnovers and got a rebound every 4.1 minutes.
*Maya Moore shot 52%, had 34 assists and 13 turnovers, 16 steals and got a rebound every 4.4 minutes.
*Taurasi shot 56% overall, 57% from three and had 26 assists to 16 turnovers.

So really, we're talking Parker for Stewart, and her 87 minutes in eight games. And that's enough to generate the hate?

Yes, Geno's arrogant and annoying, especially to his rivals, but it's hard to argue that he's not qualified for the job.

One would think that it would be possible to set aside this petty -- and I do mean petty -- Geno-is-the-devil attitude and support Team USA, but apparently not.

A shame ... you missed greatness ...


No it doesn't. I personally would not have chosen Charles, Fowles, McCoughtry, and Augustus for the team.


Who would you have chosen instead of those players?


Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


You do know that Charles is the leading candidate for MVP right now and is way way better then Dupree Laughing Fowles is debatable. Normally you dont need Griner and Fowles when you have so many other good posts out there and Charles also being able to play that position. But remember Griner is having a pretty bad wnba season so far so betting on her as starting center was a risk.

I wouldnt have mind Loyd for Augustus to bring some youth


She wasn't the leading candidate for MVP when the team was chosen. And Candace and Nneka would be replacing Fowles and Charles. Dupree would replace McCoughtry. Nneka is having a much better season than Charles anyway, but the politics of the WNBA won't allow her to win MVP.


And Nneka wasnt a better power forward then Charles when the team was chosen. So that argument goes both ways..Nneka never had a season like this. Charles has been an MVP before.



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54946
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/16 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
For the sake of argument, let's concede that Geno picks the team. (Makes sense, he's responsible if he loses.)

He chooses a couple UConn players over a couple of non-UConn players, most notably Breanna Stewart over Candace Parker.

There's little justification for leaving CP3 off the team, though there is a case to be made for Stewart being on it. On purely a performance level, CP3 should have replaced Catchings; in terms of fewest minutes, after Catchings and Stewart, Fowles (114 minutes) and EDD (119 minutes) would be the choices.

Presumably, though, it has to be a UConn player who gets cut for Parker to satisfy the anti-Geno haters. That would be who, exactly?

*Bird had 31 assists and 4 turnovers.
*Charles shot 55%, had 25 assists to 10 turnovers and got a rebound every 4.1 minutes.
*Maya Moore shot 52%, had 34 assists and 13 turnovers, 16 steals and got a rebound every 4.4 minutes.
*Taurasi shot 56% overall, 57% from three and had 26 assists to 16 turnovers.

So really, we're talking Parker for Stewart, and her 87 minutes in eight games. And that's enough to generate the hate?

Yes, Geno's arrogant and annoying, especially to his rivals, but it's hard to argue that he's not qualified for the job.

One would think that it would be possible to set aside this petty -- and I do mean petty -- Geno-is-the-devil attitude and support Team USA, but apparently not.

A shame ... you missed greatness ...


No it doesn't. I personally would not have chosen Charles, Fowles, McCoughtry, and Augustus for the team.


Who would you have chosen instead of those players?


Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


You do know that Charles is the leading candidate for MVP right now and is way way better then Dupree Laughing Fowles is debatable. Normally you dont need Griner and Fowles when you have so many other good posts out there and Charles also being able to play that position. But remember Griner is having a pretty bad wnba season so far so betting on her as starting center was a risk.

I wouldnt have mind Loyd for Augustus to bring some youth


She wasn't the leading candidate for MVP when the team was chosen. And Candace and Nneka would be replacing Fowles and Charles. Dupree would replace McCoughtry. Nneka is having a much better season than Charles anyway, but the politics of the WNBA won't allow her to win MVP.


And Nneka wasnt a better power forward then Charles when the team was chosen. So that argument goes both ways..Nneka never had a season like this. Charles has been an MVP before.


Candace Parker has been MVP twice...



_________________
Happiness depends, as Nature shows,
Less on exterior things than most suppose
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11688



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/16 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Charles has been an MVP before.


Candace Parker has been MVP twice...


Very Happy

That's the problem with trying to come up with a defense of Parker's omission.

There isn't one.


zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/16 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Charles has been an MVP before.


Candace Parker has been MVP twice...


Very Happy

That's the problem with trying to come up with a defense of Parker's omission.

There isn't one.


Exactly.


SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 663



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/16 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


I'm willing to bet Geno goes by his own personal experiences rather than others' perceptions.

The writing was on the wall early on. The head of the selection committee stated they were looking for mature players who don't complain about their minutes. Hmmm.... I wonder what princess might have complained in 2012, and I wonder if that stuck with the same head coach in 2016? I wonder.

You should probably just review the Team USA thread starting around April when your same tired arguments were being brought up by other posters at a more relevant time. This right now is all just repetitive rehash. The Olympics are over. The basketball team was wildly successful, although many don't appreciate that. Time to find something else to complain about.


What proof do you have that she complained about minutes? You don't. It was YOUR tired, false, slanderous arguments that have been brought up since April in attempt to drag her through the mud and make Geno not look like an asshole.


MOVE ON. Team USA won without your beloved Parker!!! They don't need her. Razz


They would win gold without any individual player, and probably without all of them. So they don't need anyone. They won without Geno in 1996, 2000, 2004, and 2008. They don't need him either.


But that was in the past.

Geno got the job done again.

Parker was not selected. They won GOLD.

And the way some of you are b!tching, thank god Parker was not there. Good riddance! Razz Wink

-I didn't see Tamika through a pity party on Twitter or have her siblings rant on Twitter for her.
-Even Lori Ann was kept in check.
-Sometimes dramatic people just need to be left home, plain and simple.
-US still would've beat France in '12 without Ace.
-Like a pop group said in the early 2000's song, "Get over yourself, goodbye!"


jmpenn90



Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 420



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/16 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


I'm willing to bet Geno goes by his own personal experiences rather than others' perceptions.

The writing was on the wall early on. The head of the selection committee stated they were looking for mature players who don't complain about their minutes. Hmmm.... I wonder what princess might have complained in 2012, and I wonder if that stuck with the same head coach in 2016? I wonder.

You should probably just review the Team USA thread starting around April when your same tired arguments were being brought up by other posters at a more relevant time. This right now is all just repetitive rehash. The Olympics are over. The basketball team was wildly successful, although many don't appreciate that. Time to find something else to complain about.


What proof do you have that she complained about minutes? You don't. It was YOUR tired, false, slanderous arguments that have been brought up since April in attempt to drag her through the mud and make Geno not look like an asshole.


MOVE ON. Team USA won without your beloved Parker!!! They don't need her. Razz


They would win gold without any individual player, and probably without all of them. So they don't need anyone. They won without Geno in 1996, 2000, 2004, and 2008. They don't need him either.


But that was in the past.

Geno got the job done again.

Parker was not selected. They won GOLD.

And the way some of you are b!tching, thank god Parker was not there. Good riddance! Razz Wink

-I didn't see Tamika through a pity party on Twitter or have her siblings rant on Twitter for her.
-Even Lori Ann was kept in check.
-Sometimes dramatic people just need to be left home, plain and simple.
-US still would've beat France in '12 without Ace.
-Like a pop group said in the early 2000's song, "Get over yourself, goodbye!"

I think you mean throw a pity party and why would Catch do that? She made the team. If any player that was a lock had gotten cut like Parker they would have spoken about it and been disappointed. Parker didn't have a pity party and in fact handled it very well. I never saw any tweets by Candace's brother so I can't speak to that since I have no idea what the tweets said. I don't see how you can blame her for her brother though. That is ridiculous. Candace wasn't the cause of any drama. She was one of the best players in 2012 and one of the best players the last time the team got together before this Olympics. Uconn fans just love to make up things about her.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2681



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/16 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmpenn90 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


I'm willing to bet Geno goes by his own personal experiences rather than others' perceptions.

The writing was on the wall early on. The head of the selection committee stated they were looking for mature players who don't complain about their minutes. Hmmm.... I wonder what princess might have complained in 2012, and I wonder if that stuck with the same head coach in 2016? I wonder.

You should probably just review the Team USA thread starting around April when your same tired arguments were being brought up by other posters at a more relevant time. This right now is all just repetitive rehash. The Olympics are over. The basketball team was wildly successful, although many don't appreciate that. Time to find something else to complain about.


What proof do you have that she complained about minutes? You don't. It was YOUR tired, false, slanderous arguments that have been brought up since April in attempt to drag her through the mud and make Geno not look like an asshole.


MOVE ON. Team USA won without your beloved Parker!!! They don't need her. Razz


They would win gold without any individual player, and probably without all of them. So they don't need anyone. They won without Geno in 1996, 2000, 2004, and 2008. They don't need him either.


But that was in the past.

Geno got the job done again.

Parker was not selected. They won GOLD.

And the way some of you are b!tching, thank god Parker was not there. Good riddance! Razz Wink

-I didn't see Tamika through a pity party on Twitter or have her siblings rant on Twitter for her.
-Even Lori Ann was kept in check.
-Sometimes dramatic people just need to be left home, plain and simple.
-US still would've beat France in '12 without Ace.
-Like a pop group said in the early 2000's song, "Get over yourself, goodbye!"

I think you mean throw a pity party and why would Catch do that? She made the team. If any player that was a lock had gotten cut like Parker they would have spoken about it and been disappointed. Parker didn't have a pity party and in fact handled it very well. I never saw any tweets by Candace's brother so I can't speak to that since I have no idea what the tweets said. I don't see how you can blame her for her brother though. That is ridiculous. Candace wasn't the cause of any drama. She was one of the best players in 2012 and one of the best players the last time the team got together before this Olympics. Uconn fans just love to make up things about her.


Speaking of "making up things", where is the evidence that Auriemma "hates" Parker. It seems like that is the basis for the whole theory that Geno was behind the ommission of Parker from the team and yet I have yet to see any evidence of it. Where are the quotes from Geno suggesting it? Where is any evidence that it is true?

Just because there are LV fans who hate anything associated with UConn & Geno is no reason to assume that he hates Tenn. And without the hate the whole "Geno is responsible" theory falls apart.

There's an old psychological term called projection. Some people develop a hatred for someone and then imagine that that person hates them as well. They "project" their own hatred onto the other person. LV nation has for years maintained that Auriemma has a bitter dislike for Parker and has been repeating it so long that no one questions it.

I'd like some of the posters who claim that to present their evidence because I can't find any. Geno makes wise ass comments about lots of people, many of whom he coached, but no one ever suggests that he hates them. So where's the beef? Why is it assumed that he hates Parker?


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2681



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/16 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmpenn90 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


I'm willing to bet Geno goes by his own personal experiences rather than others' perceptions.

The writing was on the wall early on. The head of the selection committee stated they were looking for mature players who don't complain about their minutes. Hmmm.... I wonder what princess might have complained in 2012, and I wonder if that stuck with the same head coach in 2016? I wonder.

You should probably just review the Team USA thread starting around April when your same tired arguments were being brought up by other posters at a more relevant time. This right now is all just repetitive rehash. The Olympics are over. The basketball team was wildly successful, although many don't appreciate that. Time to find something else to complain about.


What proof do you have that she complained about minutes? You don't. It was YOUR tired, false, slanderous arguments that have been brought up since April in attempt to drag her through the mud and make Geno not look like an asshole.


MOVE ON. Team USA won without your beloved Parker!!! They don't need her. Razz


They would win gold without any individual player, and probably without all of them. So they don't need anyone. They won without Geno in 1996, 2000, 2004, and 2008. They don't need him either.


But that was in the past.

Geno got the job done again.

Parker was not selected. They won GOLD.

And the way some of you are b!tching, thank god Parker was not there. Good riddance! Razz Wink

-I didn't see Tamika through a pity party on Twitter or have her siblings rant on Twitter for her.
-Even Lori Ann was kept in check.
-Sometimes dramatic people just need to be left home, plain and simple.
-US still would've beat France in '12 without Ace.
-Like a pop group said in the early 2000's song, "Get over yourself, goodbye!"

I think you mean throw a pity party and why would Catch do that? She made the team. If any player that was a lock had gotten cut like Parker they would have spoken about it and been disappointed. Parker didn't have a pity party and in fact handled it very well. I never saw any tweets by Candace's brother so I can't speak to that since I have no idea what the tweets said. I don't see how you can blame her for her brother though. That is ridiculous. Candace wasn't the cause of any drama. She was one of the best players in 2012 and one of the best players the last time the team got together before this Olympics. Uconn fans just love to make up things about her.


Speaking of "making up things", where is the evidence that Auriemma "hates" Parker. It seems like that is the basis for the whole theory that Geno was behind the ommission of Parker from the team and yet I have yet to see any evidence of it. Where are the quotes from Geno suggesting it? Where is any evidence that it is true?

Just because there are LV fans who hate anything associated with UConn & Geno is no reason to assume that he hates Tenn. And without the hate the whole "Geno is responsible" theory falls apart.

There's an old psychological term called projection. Some people develop a hatred for someone and then imagine that that person hates them as well. They "project" their own hatred onto the other person. LV nation has for years maintained that Auriemma has a bitter dislike for Parker and has been repeating it so long that no one questions it.

I'd like some of the posters who claim that to present their evidence because I can't find any. Geno makes wise ass comments about lots of people, many of whom he coached, but no one ever suggests that he hates them. So where's the beef? Why is it assumed that he hates Parker?


zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/16 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="SDHoops"]
boogiezen wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Candace, Nneka, Dupree, and Loyd. If character/attitude is so important like so many people on here seem to think, then Taurasi and Griner should have been left off as well.


I'm willing to bet Geno goes by his own personal experiences rather than others' perceptions.

The writing was on the wall early on. The head of the selection committee stated they were looking for mature players who don't complain about their minutes. Hmmm.... I wonder what princess might have complained in 2012, and I wonder if that stuck with the same head coach in 2016? I wonder.

You should probably just review the Team USA thread starting around April when your same tired arguments were being brought up by other posters at a more relevant time. This right now is all just repetitive rehash. The Olympics are over. The basketball team was wildly successful, although many don't appreciate that. Time to find something else to complain about.


What proof do you have that she complained about minutes? You don't. It was YOUR tired, false, slanderous arguments that have been brought up since April in attempt to drag her through the mud and make Geno not look like an asshole.


MOVE ON. Team USA won without your beloved Parker!!! They don't need her. Razz


They would win gold without any individual player, and probably without all of them. So they don't need anyone. They won without Geno in 1996, 2000, 2004, and 2008. They don't need him either.


But that was in the past.

Geno got the job done again.

Parker was not selected. They won GOLD.

And the way some of you are b!tching, thank god Parker was not there. Good riddance! Razz Wink

Quote:
-I didn't see Tamika through a pity party on Twitter or have her siblings rant on Twitter for her.


What pity party did Candace throw on Twitter? As another poster said, UConn fans just love making up things about her. This is the only tweet I remember tweeting about the situation.
https://twitter.com/Candace_Parker/status/724964632146776065
Doesn't sound like a pity party to me. You think she told Marcus to rant on Twitter? Then you're dumb. She does not control her brother's tweets.

Quote:
-Even Lori Ann was kept in check.


What does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
-Sometimes dramatic people just need to be left home, plain and simple.


She isn't dramatic. All of the supposedly "dramatic" things you've accused her of are lies.

Quote:
-US still would've beat France in '12 without Ace.


She was by far the best player in that game, so that's a completely irrelevant point. They would've beaten France without anyone. Geno couldn't handle her outshining his UConn players.

Quote:
-Like a pop group said in the early 2000's song, "Get over yourself, goodbye!"


Don't see what that has to do with anything either.


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14467
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/16 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How would people have reacted if Catchings was left off the team instead of Parker? Would you be happy then? I think Catchings takes it better being the last or 2nd to last in the rotation



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11688



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/16 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
How would people have reacted if Catchings was left off the team instead of Parker? Would you be happy then? I think Catchings takes it better being the last or 2nd to last in the rotation


Catchings?

Leaving Moore off would have been more comparable to leaving Parker off.

So who would have been willing to defend that choice?

It's basically the same thing.


zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/16 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
How would people have reacted if Catchings was left off the team instead of Parker? Would you be happy then? I think Catchings takes it better being the last or 2nd to last in the rotation


Why should she have to be second last in the rotation when she's the best at her position?


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7335



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
How would people have reacted if Catchings was left off the team instead of Parker? Would you be happy then? I think Catchings takes it better being the last or 2nd to last in the rotation


Why should she have to be second last in the rotation when she's the best at her position?


I was in Rio for every game and had it confirmed - again - that Parker's omission was because of her attitude. She thought that her pure skill allowed her to demand a bigger role but she forgot that there were other players at her position who might not be quite as good but who were good enough to help win gold. USA BB has said all along that it is not just about skill but the ability to blend with the other players to make the best team - it's not a merit-based all-star team of the very best at each position. Even if Geno was directly responsible for her getting cut (which I doubt), it doesn't matter. He assembled an absolutely dominant team and won the gold with no doubt. It was Candace who missed out on the opportunity as Team USA was able to do just fine without her. And in 4 years, Stewart, Charles and Delle Donne will probably be the better players anyway so Parker may never be on an Olympic squad again.


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14467
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 5:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
How would people have reacted if Catchings was left off the team instead of Parker? Would you be happy then? I think Catchings takes it better being the last or 2nd to last in the rotation


Why should she have to be second last in the rotation when she's the best at her position?


You think that Parker is better then Elena Delle Donne Laughing ? Charles right now is better then Parker aswell. So that is already 2 power forwards that are better then her and will be getting more minutes in the rotation. Certainly when you know that EDD is a big part of the future of this team.



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
boogiezen



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 932



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
How would people have reacted if Catchings was left off the team instead of Parker? Would you be happy then? I think Catchings takes it better being the last or 2nd to last in the rotation


Why should she have to be second last in the rotation when she's the best at her position?


I was in Rio for every game and had it confirmed - again - that Parker's omission was because of her attitude. She thought that her pure skill allowed her to demand a bigger role but she forgot that there were other players at her position who might not be quite as good but who were good enough to help win gold. USA BB has said all along that it is not just about skill but the ability to blend with the other players to make the best team - it's not a merit-based all-star team of the very best at each position. Even if Geno was directly responsible for her getting cut (which I doubt), it doesn't matter. He assembled an absolutely dominant team and won the gold with no doubt. It was Candace who missed out on the opportunity as Team USA was able to do just fine without her. And in 4 years, Stewart, Charles and Delle Donne will probably be the better players anyway so Parker may never be on an Olympic squad again.


Good riddance. Wink

The TEAM doesn't need someone like her.

Parker might win a WNBA title for all I care.



_________________
GO BIRDY! GO STORM! Queen Yu Na!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
How would people have reacted if Catchings was left off the team instead of Parker? Would you be happy then? I think Catchings takes it better being the last or 2nd to last in the rotation


Why should she have to be second last in the rotation when she's the best at her position?


I was in Rio for every game and had it confirmed - again - that Parker's omission was because of her attitude. She thought that her pure skill allowed her to demand a bigger role but she forgot that there were other players at her position who might not be quite as good but who were good enough to help win gold. USA BB has said all along that it is not just about skill but the ability to blend with the other players to make the best team - it's not a merit-based all-star team of the very best at each position. Even if Geno was directly responsible for her getting cut (which I doubt), it doesn't matter. He assembled an absolutely dominant team and won the gold with no doubt. It was Candace who missed out on the opportunity as Team USA was able to do just fine without her. And in 4 years, Stewart, Charles and Delle Donne will probably be the better players anyway so Parker may never be on an Olympic squad again.


And again, you're wrong. How are the other players more capable of helping win gold than her? How does she not blend with other players? She did it just fine last time. Second in the league in assists. And I still have not seen a single person provide evidence of this perceived "attitude" problem. It's mainly UConn fans who say it because they still can't get over her beating their team nine years ago. And again, if attitude was the problem, there are at least five other players that shouldn't have been there.


zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
How would people have reacted if Catchings was left off the team instead of Parker? Would you be happy then? I think Catchings takes it better being the last or 2nd to last in the rotation


Why should she have to be second last in the rotation when she's the best at her position?


You think that Parker is better then Elena Delle Donne Laughing ? Charles right now is better then Parker aswell. So that is already 2 power forwards that are better then her and will be getting more minutes in the rotation. Certainly when you know that EDD is a big part of the future of this team.


Yes, Candace is better than both of them. Delle Donne isn't even a power forward. Neither of them distributes the ball like she does.




Last edited by zvyn3 on 08/26/16 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18584



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't it time to lock this thread? Rolling Eyes


Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1227



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have to admit that I did not enjoy watching Parker before Agler took over the Sparks, I thought she was selfish and the role Ogwumike played was just clean up. Now Ogwumike is more involved thanks to Agler and having a wonderful season.


zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Have to admit that I did not enjoy watching Parker before Agler took over the Sparks, I thought she was selfish and the role Ogwumike played was just clean up. Now Ogwumike is more involved thanks to Agler and having a wonderful season.


She has never been selfish. Look at her career APG compared to all the other forwards and centers on the Olympic team.

Candace Parker - 3.8
Breanna Stewart - 3.6
Maya Moore - 3.4
Tamika Catchings - 3.3
Angel McCoughtry - 3.0
Tina Charles - 2.1
Elena Delle Donne - 1.6
Brittney Griner - 1.3
Sylvia Fowles - 0.8


I guess you'd have to call them all selfish. The only reason people say the things they do about her is because they hate her and can't find anything else to criticize.


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7335



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
It's mainly UConn fans who say it because they still can't get over her beating their team nine years ago


I'm not a UConn fan and I say it. The only one holding on to 9 years ago are Vols fans anyway since that was the last time the program had a winner. UConn's gone on to get 6 NCs since then and so have a lot of other things to do than hold a grudge over an old loss.

zvyn3 wrote:
And I still have not seen a single person provide evidence of this perceived "attitude" problem.


That's because you have dismissed what was presented as irrelevant or motivated by jealousy. No one is going to come right out and say they dropped her because she was a diva. That would burn a bridge unnecessarily. But the fact remains that she was not on the team and the people chosen instead of her got the job done.

You can believe what you want. It just makes you look more like a hopeless homer instead of an analytical basketball fan. The reason Candace has so many assists is that she insists on bringing the ball up herself and initiating the offense instead of letting the guards do it. If that's not the definition of a selfish player - one who wants the ball in her hands as much as possible - then I don't know what is.


jmpenn90



Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 420



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
It's mainly UConn fans who say it because they still can't get over her beating their team nine years ago


I'm not a UConn fan and I say it. The only one holding on to 9 years ago are Vols fans anyway since that was the last time the program had a winner. UConn's gone on to get 6 NCs since then and so have a lot of other things to do than hold a grudge over an old loss.

zvyn3 wrote:
And I still have not seen a single person provide evidence of this perceived "attitude" problem.


That's because you have dismissed what was presented as irrelevant or motivated by jealousy. No one is going to come right out and say they dropped her because she was a diva. That would burn a bridge unnecessarily. But the fact remains that she was not on the team and the people chosen instead of her got the job done.

You can believe what you want. It just makes you look more like a hopeless homer instead of an analytical basketball fan. The reason Candace has so many assists is that she insists on bringing the ball up herself and initiating the offense instead of letting the guards do it. If that's not the definition of a selfish player - one who wants the ball in her hands as much as possible - then I don't know what is.

This is one of the most redicoulous arguments I have seen. So now she is selfish because she brings the ball up and passes it and gets lots of assists. If you can't see how redicoulous that sounds I don't know what to tell you. Her team is winning so I guess it works. Thanks for the good laugh.


zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
It's mainly UConn fans who say it because they still can't get over her beating their team nine years ago


I'm not a UConn fan and I say it. The only one holding on to 9 years ago are Vols fans anyway since that was the last time the program had a winner. UConn's gone on to get 6 NCs since then and so have a lot of other things to do than hold a grudge over an old loss.

zvyn3 wrote:
And I still have not seen a single person provide evidence of this perceived "attitude" problem.


That's because you have dismissed what was presented as irrelevant or motivated by jealousy. No one is going to come right out and say they dropped her because she was a diva. That would burn a bridge unnecessarily. But the fact remains that she was not on the team and the people chosen instead of her got the job done.

You can believe what you want. It just makes you look more like a hopeless homer instead of an analytical basketball fan. The reason Candace has so many assists is that she insists on bringing the ball up herself and initiating the offense instead of letting the guards do it. If that's not the definition of a selfish player - one who wants the ball in her hands as much as possible - then I don't know what is.


Again, do you have any evidence of her having an attitude problem or being a selfish player? You do not. You're simply blinded by hatred.


zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are the majority of WBB fans total assholes, or is it just the ones on here?


WfanFrJmp



Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 506



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nope, we are not. Frankly, its pretty sad since we are all supporting WBB and outside of our blogs, boards, etc., there is more than enough negativity about the league and players that it would be nice to have passionate, but healthy discussions. Go Team USA! Go W!


boogiezen



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 932



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
Are the majority of WBB fans total assholes, or is it just the ones on here?


Look at yourself and your fellow Tennessee losers. And b!tched and bashed other players because your beloved was not selected.

GET OVER IT.

USA won GOLD without her. Razz

Thank GOD for it!



_________________
GO BIRDY! GO STORM! Queen Yu Na!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 6477
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/16 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
Are the majority of WBB fans total assholes, or is it just the ones on here?

Someone stating that they had actual first hand confirmation that Parker was left off the team because of her attitude is not someone being an "asshole".

We can debate all day whether or not that belief about her is fair or not, but ultimately it doesn't matter. At all. For whatever reason the Powers That Be within USAB feel that way about her. And it goes beyond Geno. And their opinions are the only ones that matter. Team USA is not a meritocracy, it is not an "all star" team, or some other entity that one can "deserve" to be on through talent and skill alone. It is an assembled team that has one goal: win a Gold Medal. Will they play favorites? Undoubtedly. The coach and committee are going to choose the players they feel gives them the best chance at winning, while also being people they want to be around. Since there is no such thing as "deserving" a spot on a subjectively assembled team the only way their choices are wrong is if they fail their goal.

Team USA didn't just not fail, but succeeded to a historic degree. Thus it seams ridiculous to complain about what the make up of the team was.



_________________
Covfefe when the walls fell.
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7335



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/16 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
Are the majority of WBB fans total assholes, or is it just the ones on here?


Actually, there are a few of us in here who have actual connections so we are speaking from a slightly insider perspective. Doesn't really matter whether you believe me or not. She didn't win gold and she may never be on the USA BB squad again, just like Cappie Pondexter wasn't. And if it makes you feel better to stick with a simple explanation like juvenile hatred, go for it. Those people who have been on here longer might (or might not) believe it is more than that.


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 17714



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/16 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Are the majority of WBB fans total assholes, or is it just the ones on here?

Someone stating that they had actual first hand confirmation that Parker was left off the team because of her attitude is not someone being an "asshole".

We can debate all day whether or not that belief about her is fair or not, but ultimately it doesn't matter. At all. For whatever reason the Powers That Be within USAB feel that way about her. And it goes beyond Geno. And their opinions are the only ones that matter. Team USA is not a meritocracy, it is not an "all star" team, or some other entity that one can "deserve" to be on through talent and skill alone. It is an assembled team that has one goal: win a Gold Medal. Will they play favorites? Undoubtedly. The coach and committee are going to choose the players they feel gives them the best chance at winning, while also being people they want to be around. Since there is no such thing as "deserving" a spot on a subjectively assembled team the only way their choices are wrong is if they fail their goal.

Team USA didn't just not fail, but succeeded to a historic degree. Thus it seams ridiculous to complain about what the make up of the team was.


If you're going to complain about the make up of an Olympic team, I'd start with Brazil personally.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7335



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/16 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:

Again, do you have any evidence of her having an attitude problem or being a selfish player? You do not. You're simply blinded by hatred.


I do. I have sources. And I have at least some reputation on the board as occasionally knowing things. I'm just a mild insider, though. You'll find a few of the people on this board have real insider knowledge. I have been watching women's basketball since 1997 and do not have any particular college affiliation, certainly not one to warrant "blind hatred" of any basketball player.


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7335



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/16 1:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
justintyme wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Are the majority of WBB fans total assholes, or is it just the ones on here?

Someone stating that they had actual first hand confirmation that Parker was left off the team because of her attitude is not someone being an "asshole".

We can debate all day whether or not that belief about her is fair or not, but ultimately it doesn't matter. At all. For whatever reason the Powers That Be within USAB feel that way about her. And it goes beyond Geno. And their opinions are the only ones that matter. Team USA is not a meritocracy, it is not an "all star" team, or some other entity that one can "deserve" to be on through talent and skill alone. It is an assembled team that has one goal: win a Gold Medal. Will they play favorites? Undoubtedly. The coach and committee are going to choose the players they feel gives them the best chance at winning, while also being people they want to be around. Since there is no such thing as "deserving" a spot on a subjectively assembled team the only way their choices are wrong is if they fail their goal.

Team USA didn't just not fail, but succeeded to a historic degree. Thus it seams ridiculous to complain about what the make up of the team was.


If you're going to complain about the make up of an Olympic team, I'd start with Brazil personally.


Does Brazil have anyone who can be an outside threat? It seems their top WNBA-caliber players were the three posts and they had no guards worth mentioning. Made for a slow game.


zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/16 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Again, do you have any evidence of her having an attitude problem or being a selfish player? You do not. You're simply blinded by hatred.


I do. I have sources. And I have at least some reputation on the board as occasionally knowing things. I'm just a mild insider, though. You'll find a few of the people on this board have real insider knowledge. I have been watching women's basketball since 1997 and do not have any particular college affiliation, certainly not one to warrant "blind hatred" of any basketball player.


Anyone can say they have sources.a It means nothing. I can say I have sources that she doesn't have an attitude problem. Do you not realize how utterly stupid that sounds? She's selfish because she PASSES THE BALL? That's when you know you're grasping at every straw possible because you have nothing else. If she wanted the ball in her hands as much as possible she wouldn't be passing it.




Last edited by zvyn3 on 08/27/16 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/16 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Are the majority of WBB fans total assholes, or is it just the ones on here?

Someone stating that they had actual first hand confirmation that Parker was left off the team because of her attitude is not someone being an "asshole".

We can debate all day whether or not that belief about her is fair or not, but ultimately it doesn't matter. At all. For whatever reason the Powers That Be within USAB feel that way about her. And it goes beyond Geno. And their opinions are the only ones that matter. Team USA is not a meritocracy, it is not an "all star" team, or some other entity that one can "deserve" to be on through talent and skill alone. It is an assembled team that has one goal: win a Gold Medal. Will they play favorites? Undoubtedly. The coach and committee are going to choose the players they feel gives them the best chance at winning, while also being people they want to be around. Since there is no such thing as "deserving" a spot on a subjectively assembled team the only way their choices are wrong is if they fail their goal.

Team USA didn't just not fail, but succeeded to a historic degree. Thus it seams ridiculous to complain about what the make up of the team was.


If any coach in the world other than Geno was the coach, she would have been on the team. And if Geno wanted her on the team, she would have been on the team.


boogiezen



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 932



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/16 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^GET OVER IT.



_________________
GO BIRDY! GO STORM! Queen Yu Na!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/16 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
^GET OVER IT.


I'm not going to get over it. Maybe you should get over your irrational hatred of Candace Parker.


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7335



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/16 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
^GET OVER IT.


I'm not going to get over it. Maybe you should get over your irrational hatred of Candace Parker.


At this point, the irrationality is yours. Multiple people have pointed out many things and your only answer it to christen us all UConn supporters who have a hatred of Parker based on a game 9 years ago. Given that UConn has had wild success since then while Tennessee has dropped to not even the best in its own conference, I'd say the only one holding on to old hatreds is you.

I watched Candace play last night and saw the same pouty, me-first player I always did. Nneka Ogwumike is the best player on the Sparks team right now and deserves much of the credit for where that team is. Candace was finally pulled in favor of Jantel Lavender. She had the worst defensive rating of any of the starters yesterday and the worst offensive rating of anyone who played last night.


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7335



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/16 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Are the majority of WBB fans total assholes, or is it just the ones on here?

Someone stating that they had actual first hand confirmation that Parker was left off the team because of her attitude is not someone being an "asshole".

We can debate all day whether or not that belief about her is fair or not, but ultimately it doesn't matter. At all. For whatever reason the Powers That Be within USAB feel that way about her. And it goes beyond Geno. And their opinions are the only ones that matter. Team USA is not a meritocracy, it is not an "all star" team, or some other entity that one can "deserve" to be on through talent and skill alone. It is an assembled team that has one goal: win a Gold Medal. Will they play favorites? Undoubtedly. The coach and committee are going to choose the players they feel gives them the best chance at winning, while also being people they want to be around. Since there is no such thing as "deserving" a spot on a subjectively assembled team the only way their choices are wrong is if they fail their goal.

Team USA didn't just not fail, but succeeded to a historic degree. Thus it seams ridiculous to complain about what the make up of the team was.


If any coach in the world other than Geno was the coach, she would have been on the team. And if Geno wanted her on the team, she would have been on the team.


You're ignoring the fact that she WAS on the team in 2012. With Geno as her coach. And much closer to the 2008 game that supposedly made everyone hate her. Rumors started then that she was benched a couple of times for friction with the coach. And I personally witnessed a "discussion" between the two of them in London where Parker did not seem very respectful. I thought right then that no way would she ever adopt that sort of body posture with Pat Summitt.

So yeah, maybe he DID push for her to be excluded. In fact, I'd bet he at least wasn't opposed to it. Like it or not, he's the boss and she's the employee. If she annoyed him enough to make him want to take someone else that's his right. You earn your way on the team not just by being the best but also by being someone that the coach wants to work with. For whatever reason, he decided that Charles to start, Elena off the bench and Stewie/Catch for situational subs was the combination that he wanted. Guess what, it worked. And, that's the bottom line.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15150
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/16 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All right, y'all. This thread has gotten rather circular.

Y'all have 24 hours to get it aaaaaaaalllllll out of your system (and I do mean ALL), and then this thread will be locked.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 407
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/16 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Are the majority of WBB fans total assholes, or is it just the ones on here?

Someone stating that they had actual first hand confirmation that Parker was left off the team because of her attitude is not someone being an "asshole".

We can debate all day whether or not that belief about her is fair or not, but ultimately it doesn't matter. At all. For whatever reason the Powers That Be within USAB feel that way about her. And it goes beyond Geno. And their opinions are the only ones that matter. Team USA is not a meritocracy, it is not an "all star" team, or some other entity that one can "deserve" to be on through talent and skill alone. It is an assembled team that has one goal: win a Gold Medal. Will they play favorites? Undoubtedly. The coach and committee are going to choose the players they feel gives them the best chance at winning, while also being people they want to be around. Since there is no such thing as "deserving" a spot on a subjectively assembled team the only way their choices are wrong is if they fail their goal.

Team USA didn't just not fail, but succeeded to a historic degree. Thus it seams ridiculous to complain about what the make up of the team was.


If any coach in the world other than Geno was the coach, she would have been on the team. And if Geno wanted her on the team, she would have been on the team.


You're ignoring the fact that she WAS on the team in 2012. With Geno as her coach. And much closer to the 2008 game that supposedly made everyone hate her. Rumors started then that she was benched a couple of times for friction with the coach. And I personally witnessed a "discussion" between the two of them in London where Parker did not seem very respectful. I thought right then that no way would she ever adopt that sort of body posture with Pat Summitt.

So yeah, maybe he DID push for her to be excluded. In fact, I'd bet he at least wasn't opposed to it. Like it or not, he's the boss and she's the employee. If she annoyed him enough to make him want to take someone else that's his right. You earn your way on the team not just by being the best but also by being someone that the coach wants to work with. For whatever reason, he decided that Charles to start, Elena off the bench and Stewie/Catch for situational subs was the combination that he wanted. Guess what, it worked. And, that's the bottom line.


Yeah, she was on the team in 2012 and Geno wouldn't take her back because he couldn't handle her outshining his UConn players in the gold medal game. Just because the combination worked doesn't mean they were better without her. They won the gold medal game with her in 2012 by 36 points. Only won by 31 this year. I'm not the least bit impressed.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin