RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who should be the 2020 Olympic WBB coach?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Whom would you choose to be the next WBB Olympic coach?
Geno Auriemma
30%
 30%  [ 17 ]
Dawn Staley
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
Doug Bruno
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Cheryl Reeve
32%
 32%  [ 18 ]
Brian Agler
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Kim Mulkey
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Someone else (who?)
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 56

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/22/16 12:05 pm    ::: Who should be the 2020 Olympic WBB coach? Reply Reply with quote

The question is whom you would choose to be the next WBB Senior National Team and Olympic coach, not who you think will be chosen.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/22/16 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suzie McConnell-Serio

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/22/16 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Suzie McConnell-Serio

It will be hard for me to get past her trading Katie Smith for what turned out to be Chandi Jones. The word is she just didn't along with Smith and said "It's me or her." (If that's not true, someone please speak up ...)

If it is true, we don't need more CP3-type drama on the national team.

PostPosted: 08/22/16 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I ran this poll twice nearly 4 months ago (poll still might be active if you haven't voted yet).

Once with no WNBA coaches considered:
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=88382

Once with WNBA coaches considered:
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=88384

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/22/16 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I ran this poll twice nearly 4 months ago (poll still might be active if you haven't voted yet).

Once with no WNBA coaches considered:
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=88382

Once with WNBA coaches considered:
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=88384

Yes, but this is a post-Olympics poll, which can test whether the outcome and accompanying controversies have changed voters' minds.
Shades

PostPosted: 08/22/16 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The April poll was post-controversy, and was the outcome of the games ever in doubt?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/22/16 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's Genos if he wants it so get over it now homers. If he chooses to decline, I like Reeves and Agler.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/22/16 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

If it is true, we don't need more CP3-type drama on the national team.

There's 4 votes for Geno, so obviously some people aren't concerned about CP3 drama.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/22/16 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What drama did I miss something Laughing

bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Reeves is the coach in 2020 would folks be upset if she has her 4 players on the team as well as Tina and Stewart and Diana (if she goes again). The cry this year was it was a UConn team(5 players) would they still think it is a UConn team with 4 UConn players. Or would it be ok as long as Geno wasn't the coach.

I will be so glad when the season starts again!

Last edited by bballgrl on 08/22/16 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
If Reeves is the coach in 2020 would folks be upset if she has her 4 players on the team as well as Tina and Stewart and Diana (if she goes again). The cry this year was it was a UConn team(5 players) would they still think it is a UConn team with 4 UConn players. Or would it be ok as long as Geno wasn't the coach.

In 2020, Whalen & Augustus will be retired. So unless Howard & Montgomery are on the team(w/Moore & Fowles), there's no need to cried about this now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

In 2020, Whalen & Augustus will be retired. So unless Howard & Montgomery are on the team(w/Moore & Fowles), there's no need to cried about this now.

Augustus will probably still be playing in 2020, but possibly not at a level to make Team USA.

PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Augustus will probably still be playing in 2020, but possibly not at a level to make Team USA.

She really hasn't been playing at that level this year either...

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 08/22/16 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

I doubt she's still playing come 2018. Too many injuries lately. Out of their 4 veterans, Augustus & Brunson will likely be the first to retire. Then Whalen(2019?), then Fowles.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 08/23/16 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

What was wrong with Augustus's play? She played more the role of facilitator than scorer. She had 26 assists (same as Taurasi). She had only 11 turnovers (5 less than Taurasi). I was actually proud of Seimone (can you relate, SpaceJunkie?) It seems she's learned to be a true team player. There's only so many shots to go around, and she made 56% of the ones she took.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/23/16 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

What was wrong with Augustus's play? She played more the role of facilitator than scorer. She had 26 assists (same as Taurasi). She had only 11 turnovers (5 less than Taurasi). I was actually proud of Seimone (can you relate, SpaceJunkie?) It seems she's learned to be a true team player. There's only so many shots to go around, and she made 56% of the ones she took.

I think Myrtle means her play(averaging 11 pts per game) in the wnba so far this season. She was 1 of my choices to be left of the team for a younger player (Loyd for example)

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/23/16 6:08 pm    ::: Re: Who should be the 2020 Olympic WBB coach? Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The question is whom you would choose to be the next WBB Senior National Team and Olympic coach, not who you think will be chosen.

I chose Cheryl Reeve.

My second choice would've been Doug Bruno, although he's a college coach. But Doug has been an assistant for Team USA for a while now, and I would not mind if he finally gets the nod to become the Head Coach in 2020.

Even shortly after the 2012 Olympics Games, I actually didn't even want Geno for this year's squad. And as I recall, Geno originally didn't want to coach again. But I guess the players --- and especially Taurasi and Sue Bird --- convinced him to change his mind. That said, I am so used to a regular rotation of coaches for each Olympic cycle.

PostPosted: 08/23/16 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

I think Myrtle means her play(averaging 11 pts per game) in the wnba so far this season. She was 1 of my choices to be left of the team for a younger player (Loyd for example)

exactly what I meant. She did fine at the Olys but I didn't think she was playing at a level in the W to justify her pick, especially since we were lacking youngsters. Another young guard could have gotten experience instead of her (and personally I love Mone's game and her sweet jumper and have regularly tried to get her on my fantasy team, so this is not a player hate thing). If they had waited to name the team, IMO she wouldn't have been on it. And I hope they learned a lesson and will wait longer to name the next team so they can see injuries and how players are actually playing. There would be much less backlash that way, though I guess there will always be players on the cusp.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 08/23/16 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This pool is almost as deep as the players' pool. There are some excellent coaches out there.

Cheryl R. isn't a *bad* choice, but she's done her time. Move along. I'd prefer Laimbeer or Thibault over her. From the college ranks, there's coaches who have USA coaching experience like Muff McGraw, Kim Mulkey or Sherri Coale. Though I'd prefer to see gals at the helm, Giorgis or Smesko are only a couple of many men who have the brains for it.

PostPosted: 08/23/16 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted Bruno, though my head says he might be too old by then.

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 08/23/16 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I voted Bruno, though my head says he might be too old by then.

He's four years older than Geno

PostPosted: 08/24/16 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GENO all the way!!!! Cool

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/24/16 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they will be PC and chose a woman.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/24/16 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would that be PC in our current climate Wink

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/24/16 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
they will be PC and chose a woman.

There's no "they" in this poll topic. Only "YOU".

So far, YOU all have given a lot more support to Geno, relative to Reeve and Staley for example, than in the pre-Olympics polls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: