RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 08/22/16 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Women Win Sixth Consecutive Olympic Basketball Gold Medal

http://www.wnba.com/news/usa-women-win-sixth-consecutive-olympic-basketball-gold-medal/

Quote:
“Obviously it was an incredible tournament for us,” said USA head coach Geno Auriemma. “From the very first game that we played to today, with very few exceptions I thought we played basketball at a really high level. I can’t say enough about our players. How quickly they’ve come together, how much they’ve been able to accomplish in less than a month that we’ve been together.

“It wasn’t as easy as sometimes it looked, these last two games especially with France and today against Spain,” Auriemma continued. “These are very good teams that we’re playing, and you could see that it wasn’t just a cake walk, that it was a struggle. Then finally, because of our depth and because of the experience on our team, we were able to separate ourselves. But the way we played, we respected our opponents and we respected the game itself, we earned a lot of respect from a lot of people around the world, and I’m really proud of that.”

Quote:
“You play these eight games and you want to win so bad,” Taurasi said. “The one thing we didn’t do is we didn’t take any possessions off. We played every single game like it’s a gold medal game, and that’s why I think you see everyone is emotionally and physically spent right now. And that takes a certain character of team and individuals. I’ve never been a part of anything like this.”

Quote:
In the U.S. women’s Olympic single-competition record book, Taurasi made a record 33 3-pointers, while as a team, the USA set records for field goals made (324), field goal percentage (.577), 3-pointers made (58 ), 3-pointers attempted (128), free throw percentage (.776) and assists (224).

In the U.S. women’s Olympic career record book, Catchings and Taurasi are now tied with Teresa Edwards and Lisa Leslie for games played (32), while Bird is second (30); and Catchings

In the U.S. women’s Olympic career record book: Taurasi now lists second for points scored (379), behind Lisa Leslie (488 points); Catchings lists third for rebounds (137), behind Leslie (241) and Katrina McClain (166).

Quote:
Sue Bird, Tamika Catchings and Diana Taurasi join Teresa Edwards and Lisa Leslie as the only athletes in history with four Olympic gold medals in basketball.

Seimone Augustus and Sylvia Fowles collected their third Olympic gold medals to join three-time Olympic gold medalists Katie Smith, Dawn Staley and Sheryl Swoopes.

Sue Bird, now with eight medals in major international competition ties with Edwards for the most medals in major international play. With one more gold than Edwards, however, she owns the most gold medals in U.S. history between the two events.

Catchings and Taurasi, move into a tie for second with Leslie, earning a total of seven medals each at international basketball’s top two events.

Brittney Griner becomes the 10 athlete to win Olympic gold, a FIBA World Championship title (2014), a WNBA crown (Phoenix Mercury, 2014) and an NCAA Championship (Baylor, 2012).

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 08/22/16 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Out for the 2018 Worlds: Bird, Whalen, Taurasi, Augustus & Catchings.
Locks: Delle Donne, Moore, Stewart, Griner, Charles.
Questionable: McCoughtry & Fowles.

PG options: Vandersloot, Diggins, Jefferson, Robinson.
SG options: Sims, Loyd, McBride, T. Mitchell, DeSheilds.
PF/C options: N. Ogwumike, Parker, C. Ogwumike, Lavender, E. Williams.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DeShields Rolling Eyes

2018 might be a good year to add two rooks, KMitch and Wilson (nice Parker replacement)

toad455

PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
DeShields Rolling Eyes

2018 might be a good year to add two rooks, KMitch and Wilson (nice Parker replacement)

2020 is a whole different discussion. Maybe Charles opts to not play? Maybe Fowles is too old? What current college players will compete for a spot in 2020? Let's stick with 2018 first.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK a serious attempt at predicting Team USA 2020 if Auriemma is still coaching

Diggins/Jefferson
Loyd/McBride/Sims
Moore/McCoughtry
EDD/Ogwumike/Charles
Griner/Stewart

McCoughtry will be 33 Charles will be 31 they would be the vets just young enough to return. I was going to include Whalen but she will be 38 just a little too old to make it and I doubt she will even want to at that point. I don't think Fowles or Augustus will try to repeat, and this seems like it was Bird and Taurasi's last go round as well, though you can never count out DT. Charles is versatile and has that Uconn thing going for her, and barring injury will still be competing for tops in the league and McCoughtry was a total team player, and had a quiet but very successful run with the team this go round, played her role well and dare I say she will be one of the veteran leaders along with Charles and Moore.

Diggins stays healthy and start for team USA at Worlds and that carries over to the Olympics. Jefferson will be the controversial back up PG who will receive a lot of hat for her UConn connection (while people will conveniently over look her killer 3 point shot and and very solid assist to TO ratio). Loyd becomes the new starter at SG and maybe team mainstay for a couple of Olympics. McBride and Sims fill out the guard core, but one might lose their spot to K. Mitchell come 2020.

Moore, EDD and Griner fill out the starting spots, though I won't be too shocked if Stewart starts ahead of EDD. Another reason Charles hangs on is because the lack of Fowles will make the US a little smaller at center so one of her or Stewart might be getting decent minutes there, but Ogwumike may end up getting minutes there as well. I left the initial of of Ogwumike because becuase while I assume it will be a N it could end up being a C four years from now.

I'm also assuming that if Geno is the coach Parker will not try to return.

Still only returning 4 vets and only having 4 UConn players will allow for more diversity than the past two teams.

Along with K. Mitchell some other young guns competing for the final spots will be D. Deshields, T, Mitchell and A. Wilson, and just to mess with the anti UConn crowd Dolson and Stokes will be in the mix until the final cuts because we'll have fewer option of true posts and they both can play their role well on a team of super stars.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 08/22/16 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
zune69

PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2020 Olympics

Guards:Vandersloot,Taurasi,Mitchell,Diggins

Forwards:Stewart,Moore,Charles,Mccoughtry,N.Ogwumike,Delle donne

Center:S.Fowles,B,Griner

Have a legit shot:

A'ja Wilson
Deshields
Loyd
Sims
C.Ogwumike
Parker
Bonner
G.Johnson
McBride

Last edited by zune69 on 08/22/16 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zune we must have been typing at the same time

toad455

PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see Taurasi returning for the 2020 Olympics. The 2018 Worlds is possible though.

2018 Worlds
PG: Vandersloot/Diggins/Jefferson
SG: Loyd/Sims
SF: Moore/Delle Donne
PF: Stewart/Charles/N. Ogwumike
C: Griner/Fowles
Outsiders: C. Ogwumike, E. Williams, Robinson, Lavender, T. Mitchell, K. Mitchell

2020 Olympics
PG: Vandersloot/Diggins/Jefferson
SG: Loyd/Sims
SF: Moore/Delle Donne
PF: Stewart/Charles/N. Ogwumike
C: Griner/A. Wilson
Outsiders: C. Ogwumike, Boyette, Robinson, T. Mitchell, K. Mitchell, DeSheilds, Crystal Dangerfield.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Zune we must have been typing at the same time

Yeah,but you typed a full essay Laughing Wink So I guess I lose.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I don't see Taurasi returning for the 2020 Olympics.

Taurasi would become the first basketball player to win 5 Olympic gold medals,so it's certainly a possibility.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/22/16 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
I don't see Taurasi returning for the 2020 Olympics.

Taurasi would become the first basketball player to win 5 Olympic gold medals,so it's certainly a possibility.

she'll be 38. possible, yes, but unlikely.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/23/16 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Breanna Stewart likely anchor in Tokyo Games, but who else will represent U.S.?

http://www.sportingnews.com/athletics/news/team-usa-womens-basketball-tokyo-2020-breanna-stewart-projecting-team-candace-parker/12a7ddlmp435x1t8oa595j8mva

Quote:
[Stewart] was by far the youngest player on the U.S. roster for Rio 2016, and that is the best piece of news to come from the tournament aside from that gold medal. A 6-4 forward with every essential basketball skill and a resume filled with four NCAA championships and three college national player of the year awards, Stewart will be a foundation player for the U.S. women in 2020.

Quote:
It was fairly well established that 2016 marked the last Olympics for veterans Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi and Tamika Catchings, but it would seem Seimone Augustus, Sylvia Fowles and Lindsay Whalen are also in an age bracket where a return seems unlikely. Half the 2016 team could return, but they’ll need a new other half.

Quote:

Some candidates:

PG Moriah Jefferson
PG Jewell Loyd
PF Candace Parker: one of the great American women ever, Parker was excluded from the 2016 team in a controversial decision. Bringing her back in 2020 could not only heal that wound, but also make the Americans better.
SF Nneka Ogwumike

Umm, Augustus is two years younger than Parker. Fowles is the same age as Parker.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/23/16 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Umm, Augustus is two years younger than Parker. Fowles is the same age as Parker.

Not sure I agree with you on your math there

Parker born 1986
Fowles born 1985
Augustus born 1984

PostPosted: 08/23/16 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oops, my bad. I was thinking Whalen's class for some reason.

Does this mean you agree that Fowles and Augustus are too old and Parker is the just right age? This guy seems like a Sparks or Tennessee homer.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/23/16 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Oops, my bad. I was thinking Whalen's class for some reason.

Does this mean you agree that Fowles and Augustus are too old and Parker is the just right age? This guy seems like a Sparks or Tennessee homer.

We'll see how they are playing in four years. I'd guess Augustus won't be on the team but the others might.

PostPosted: 08/23/16 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/23/16 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Diggins/Jefferson
Loyd/McBride/Sims
Moore/McCoughtry
EDD/Ogwumike/Charles
Griner/Stewart

McCoughtry will be 33 Charles will be 31 they would be the vets just young enough to return. I was going to include Whalen but she will be 38 just a little too old to make it and I doubt she will even want to at that point. I don't think Fowles or Augustus will try to repeat, and this seems like it was Bird and Taurasi's last go round as well, though you can never count out DT. Charles is versatile and has that Uconn thing going for her, and barring injury will still be competing for tops in the league and McCoughtry was a total team player, and had a quiet but very successful run with the team this go round, played her role well and dare I say she will be one of the veteran leaders along with Charles and Moore.

Diggins stays healthy and start for team USA at Worlds and that carries over to the Olympics. Jefferson will be the controversial back up PG who will receive a lot of hat for her UConn connection (while people will conveniently over look her killer 3 point shot and and very solid assist to TO ratio). Loyd becomes the new starter at SG and maybe team mainstay for a couple of Olympics. McBride and Sims fill out the guard core, but one might lose their spot to K. Mitchell come 2020.

Moore, EDD and Griner fill out the starting spots, though I won't be too shocked if Stewart starts ahead of EDD. Another reason Charles hangs on is because the lack of Fowles will make the US a little smaller at center so one of her or Stewart might be getting decent minutes there, but Ogwumike may end up getting minutes there as well. I left the initial of of Ogwumike because becuase while I assume it will be a N it could end up being a C four years from now.

Still only returning 4 vets and only having 4 UConn players will allow for more diversity than the past two teams.

Along with K. Mitchell some other young guns competing for the final spots will be D. Deshields, T, Mitchell and A. Wilson, and just to mess with the anti UConn crowd Dolson and Stokes will be in the mix until the final cuts because we'll have fewer option of true posts and they both can play their role well on a team of super stars.

Boy you really can pick a very selfish team LOL.

K Mitchell is a me first player, so is DD. I see Jefferson in mix as she is a team player who can still run the USA system like Bird. Having those guards would mean USA would be going smaller and the USA MO is to be long and stretch defenses to match up internationally. No room for Lloyd, Diggins, McBride, T Mitchell and Sims. only 1 or 2 at most. Post situation is covered with Charles, Griner, EDD and Stewart so doubt Wilson as she is not mobile or versatile to challenge. And I see Nneka getting any other spot not Wilson. Doubt CP will ever don a USA uniform again, too much garbage.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/23/16 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Diggins/Jefferson
Loyd/McBride/Sims
Moore/McCoughtry
EDD/Ogwumike/Charles
Griner/Stewart

Boy you really can pick a very selfish team LOL.

K Mitchell is a me first player, so is DD. I see Jefferson in mix as she is a team player who can still run the USA system like Bird. Having those guards would mean USA would be going smaller and the USA MO is to be long and stretch defenses to match up internationally. No room for Lloyd, Diggins, McBride, T Mitchell and Sims. only 1 or 2 at most. Post situation is covered with Charles, Griner, EDD and Stewart so doubt Wilson as she is not mobile or versatile to challenge. And I see Nneka getting any other spot not Wilson. Doubt CP will ever don a USA uniform again, too much garbage.

The team at the top is my actual prediction the other people mentioned are in the running but I think will struggle to break through.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/14/16 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diana Taurasi Named USA Basketball Female Athlete of the Year

http://www.wnba.com/news/diana-taurasi-usa-basketball-female-athlete-of-year/

Quote:
At the 2016 Olympics from Aug. 6-20 in Rio de Janeiro, Taurasi started in all eight wins and averaged a team-best 15.6 points to go with 3.3 assists and 2.5 rebounds in 24.3 minutes per game to help the USA to a sixth-straight Olympic gold medal.

Quote:
Taurasi is one of five players in U.S. women’s Olympic history with four gold medals, and she is tied with Tamika Catchings, Teresa Edwards and Lisa Leslie with a total of six gold medals in Olympic and World Championship play, trailing only Sue Bird’s total of seven combined gold medals.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50
Page 50 of 50

Jump to: