RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Gold: USA vs Spain - 8/20/16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caune

PostPosted: 08/21/16 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
caune wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
caune wrote:
Lord in heaven people, we are all Americans, can we put the shut aside and cheer for ALL our players 😕

WHERES PARKER THO
She's home nursing her attitude, you know, the reason she didn't make the team?

Geno kept her off the team out of spite. People who say her attitude is the reason she didn't make the team are so full of shit it's ridiculous, and clearly know nothing about her. If attitude was the reason then half the damn team wouldn't be there. Candace has never been suspended by her team for violating team rules. Never had a DUI. Never punched a player in the face. Never been arrested for domestic violence. Never led the league in technicals. Never refused to play for her team and forced a trade. So tell me, what makes her so much more evil than everyone else?

Did I say it was a bad attitude? There are all sorts of traits that need to be balanced on a team. Geno had a choice between Catch and Parker. Who's going to happily hold down the end of the bench? Catch get's the vote.
You all should be very happy she was left off the team, it's made a huge difference in her game this season. Might even lead her to a Championship :O

PostPosted: 08/21/16 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, all the people complaining about Geno and the 5 UCONN players, are you OK with Reeve as the assistant and 4 Lynx players on the team? just wondering?

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/21/16 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bring it, haters, bring it.

a summer preview of what's coming in November.

Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/21/16 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sourgrapes.

Parker was not selected. BOOHHOOOO. Laughing

Bird is currently playing her best season at the age of 36! Younger players? You have to earn it. Razz

Now Birdy, enjoy your 4th gold medal, while your haters are crying. HAHA!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/21/16 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindsay "shine on you crazy gopher" Whalen!

Force10rulz

PostPosted: 08/21/16 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
We are so much better when Bird is on the bench

And even better if she were off the TEAM. This Olympics has entrenched her in my mind as one of the *Piggy-est* Olympians ever. I don't give a hairy rat's ass how good you wanna argue she is: WE WOULD HAVE WON GOLD WITH WHALEN/SIMS/DIGGINS/BENTLEY/TAKEYERPICK and Bird on the bench handing out towels. She is no longer the best PG in America, but her sweetheart deal with Geno---NOT her skills--has put her into the Olympic History books. NOT her skills.

If she'd been honest AND classy, she'd have done what was in America's best interest for the future and insisted he have another, younger pg take her place. Anybody who thinks she was essential to gold is merely indulging their Girly crush on her.

I have no doubt it galled him to have to start Griner, to keep from a total UConn lineup. Yes, on a technical level, he's an amazing coach, but he's also an egotistic self-promoter, in his subliminal, classy way.

12,5 pts
46% from the field (2nd best of her career)
44% from behind the arc (career best!!)
6,0 assists Leading the league with assists

Which PG is having a better WNBA season then Sue Bird ? Laughing Laughing
I thought she shut all the haters up with her play so far in the wnba season but i guess there are always 1 or 2 who never give up Laughing Shocked Laughing

Haters will always hate!

PostPosted: 08/21/16 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where/when did Geno say he's considering 2020?

jmpenn90

PostPosted: 08/21/16 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

There was a USA Today article a few days ago that said he would be likely to return.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/21/16 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmpenn90 wrote:
miller40 wrote:

There was a USA Today article a few days ago that said he would be likely to return.

Considering how much it helps him at UConn, he'd probably be willing to stay forever.

PostPosted: 08/21/16 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
caune wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
caune wrote:
Lord in heaven people, we are all Americans, can we put the shut aside and cheer for ALL our players 😕

WHERES PARKER THO

Geno kept her off the team out of spite. People who say her attitude is the reason she didn't make the team are so full of shit it's ridiculous, and clearly know nothing about her. If attitude was the reason then half the damn team wouldn't be there. Candace has never been suspended by her team for violating team rules. Never had a DUI. Never punched a player in the face. Never been arrested for domestic violence. Never led the league in technicals. Never refused to play for her team and forced a trade. So tell me, what makes her so much more evil than everyone else?

Did I say it was a bad attitude? There are all sorts of traits that need to be balanced on a team. Geno had a choice between Catch and Parker. Who's going to happily hold down the end of the bench? Catch get's the vote.
You all should be very happy she was left off the team, it's made a huge difference in her game this season. Might even lead her to a Championship :O

Catch was not very happy holding down the end of the bench. There was an article that came out where she had to really adjust to her role. She tried not to complain but I could tell she wasn't happy. She wanted to be on the court just like Candace would have been because they are both competitors. Candace should have made the team over multiple people and I don't believe it should have been down to the 2 of them but it wouldn't surprise me. I think it was obvious that Geno didn't want either of them.

jmpenn90

PostPosted: 08/21/16 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Ace's brother was ranting on Twitter last Olympics and Ace seemed to keep the fire going rather than try to put it out. She's dramatic and she'll have to work on that. The fact that shes played pity me ever since then about it makes me glad they left out all the drama. Off that note, congrats Team USA!!!

First I have ever heard of this but if so good for him. Geno gives playing time and puts the players on the team that he likes the most. In between games Geno was hanging out with his uconn players.

miller40

PostPosted: 08/21/16 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmpenn90 wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Thanks, I missed that and had no idea where all this talk about it was coming from.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/21/16 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmpenn90 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
Ace's brother was ranting on Twitter last Olympics and Ace seemed to keep the fire going rather than try to put it out. She's dramatic and she'll have to work on that. The fact that shes played pity me ever since then about it makes me glad they left out all the drama. Off that note, congrats Team USA!!!

First I have ever heard of this but if so good for him. Geno gives playing time and puts the players on the team that he likes the most. In between games Geno was hanging out with his uconn players.

Playing time looked fine to me, and I am far from a UCONN fan. We can have never ending arguments about how much influence he has over the forming of the team, but ultimately his job is to win Gold Medals. He did that. For whatever reason they decided to leave Parker off the team. I wouldn't have, but I also don't know all of the factors at play and obviously they felt their team was strong enough without her. Maybe she pissed him off, or pissed off someone else in USA Basketball, or maybe they were looking for someone with a different skill set or just liked Catchings better.

At the end of the day, no player has an innate "right" to be on the team. Basketball doesn't have guaranteed slots so it's not a meritocracy.

As for hanging out with UCONN players? You don't think it is normal to want to spend time with one's former students? I personally do it all the time when I run into them at events. He has a relationship with those players so during their free time he has every right to spend it with whomever he wishes.

PostPosted: 08/21/16 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
They could have Beyonce coach this team & they'd still win gold. There's just no competition from anyone else.

Beyonce would have helped this team win platinum

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 08/21/16 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

Was he ranting about the lack of minutes? Pretty sure that's what the decision boiled down to.

In the article that was posted, Parker looked on the bright side by saying she got to spend more time with her daughter. Fans can't do the same? Another bright side is she doesn't have to worry about zika just in case she wants to add to her family after accomplishing her biggest goal (not that I want her to win a championship against my team, but it could happen). All kinda bright sides.

This was a great team. Everything went smoothly. Everybody validated their place on the team. There really should be nothing to complain about, but people always feel a need to complain.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/21/16 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
They could have Beyonce coach this team & they'd still win gold. There's just no competition from anyone else.

Beyonce would have helped this team win platinum

Nice! Laughing Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/21/16 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jmpenn90 wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Considering how much it helps him at UConn, he'd probably be willing to stay forever.

I expect him to be the coach until he retires which last until the next 4 Olympics. The Olympics are like politics, all that matters is the ends justify the means.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/21/16 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
....but ultimately his job is to win Gold Medals. He did that.....At the end of the day, no player has an innate "right" to be on the team. Basketball doesn't have guaranteed slots so it's not a meritocracy.

Correct. And frankly, he could have, indisputably, done it with ZERO UConn players. But. He gets to choose (forget the "committee" bullshit), and here's where his ego comes though. And Bird's Olympic spot is sealed.

Bird is certainly playing at the Olympic level of quality: there's no disputing that, either. BUT: unlike Moore or Taurasi, who are pretty peerless, there are at least 5 YOUNGER players who could have done as well or better than Bird. Nonetheless, like Cash and Jones in the past, she gets the nod because of her college coach. That's life in USA basketball. Just cuz it happens to benefit a player YOU like, does NOT mean it's fair.

Caune, your Lynx argument doesn't fit at all. 'Mone, Lindsay, Syl and Maya all come from different colleges. This is about an egotistical college coach taking care of his own, while extraordinary players of the future (Sims, Diggins, Bentley) get passed over for Miss Piggy.

PostPosted: 08/21/16 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
pilight wrote:
jmpenn90 wrote:
miller40 wrote:

I expect him to be the coach until he retires which last until the next 4 Olympics. The Olympics are like politics, all that matters is the ends justify the means.

You think he'll coach through 2032?

PostPosted: 08/21/16 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:

And you know this how? Oh, because you and the people that keep saying this were on the committee and involved with the interactions between Parker and Geno. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/21/16 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
justintyme wrote:
....but ultimately his job is to win Gold Medals. He did that.....At the end of the day, no player has an innate "right" to be on the team. Basketball doesn't have guaranteed slots so it's not a meritocracy.

Correct. And frankly, he could have, indisputably, done it with ZERO UConn players. But. He gets to choose (forget the "committee" bullshit), and here's where his ego comes though. And Bird's Olympic spot is sealed.

Whoever chooses the team, whether it be him or the committee, it is their right to choose whichever players they want. That is how the system for basketball works. The flip side of it is that the coach is the one who will get the blame if it all falls apart. And make no mistake, with the talent gap between the US and the field, not winning a Gold Medal would induce more embarrassment and shame than winning one creates awe and pride. Not to mention, most of the credit for winning goes to the players.

So yeah, I am sure his ego comes through at times, but if it gets the best of him and he chooses poorly, he pays the price. His job is to win, not make "fair" choices on who gets to go. As long as the team brings home the Gold, ego or not, fair or not, he has done what was asked of him. Complaining about the make up of a team that not only won but dominated their competition, requires a presupposition of "entitlement" that does not actually exist. No one from USA Basketball has ever made the claim that they are taking the 12 best players. Nor even that they are going to take the best players available at each position. They have made it clear that they will select the team that they (or perhaps the coach) wants. If there is no standard other than coach/committee desire, then it is objectively impossible to have been "snubbed".

PostPosted: 08/21/16 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
This is about an egotistical college coach taking care of his own, while extraordinary players of the future (Sims, Diggins, Bentley) get passed over for Miss Piggy.

Unless your name is Griner (who BTW didn't go to UConn), you need to show up to camp to make the team. Sims and Diggins got invites but didn't show. Diggins is just now getting back to form. Hers would have been a risky and stupid selection. Bentley? What's people's fascination with Bentley? She really sucked her first ten games this season, and I'm not sure her recent play has made up for that quite yet. Bentley doesn't exactly fit the mold of the team player. She's more of a I Gots Mine type of player, and if she don't gets hers, she can seen bruding on the bench with a towel over her head. Umm, no thank you. I'd be surprised if Bentley ever made the invite list even with a rash of retirements from the Team USA.

Last edited by Shades on 08/21/16 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 08/21/16 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
pilight wrote:
jmpenn90 wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Geno will be 66 in 2020

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 08/21/16 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW. People wonder why the women don't get as much support as they should, well just read some of these posts. Whiny, unpatriotic, jealous individuals, who just rip for the sake of envy, rather than supporting the game they are supposed to love. You need therapy to deal with your envy, it is rediculous. I am with Luuc, other countries women would be ecstatic.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/21/16 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
I am with Luuc, other countries women would be ecstatic.

Spain's women will get more recognition at home for their silver than the US women will for their gold.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: